Censored - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

Reviews: 863 | Hads: 2,593
1.18/5  rDev -68.7%

we found this at Moe's Center Street Beer Store Jupiter,Fla
poured into a pint glass , good carbonation which settles down quickly
copper colored and light amber malt nose
tastes of malt , honey, slight hop finish, not strong however
drinkability ?
considering the price we probably wont purchase another 6 pack it's ok

The Censored rich copper ale is what they call this on the label.
rather weak almost watered down ?

this reminds me of a another brewer that makes Monk in the trunk ale, so close it could be the same , come on quit rippin off the ale drinkers make some ale
instead of this corporate rripoff blaaaa

2.2/5  rDev -41.6%

On tap at TPH 2/22/06.

My pint of The Kronic poured a deep copper with a suitable head. I have been meaning to try this beer for a while now and once I saw it on draught, I just couldn't resist. Unfortunately, it did not meet my expectations. I could not smell much of anything, and there definitely was no discrenable hop smell. Even worse, it tasted sickeningly sweet. It truly tasted like a pack of starburst. There was nothing to balance out the sweetness upfront, and until the slight hop bite as it went down, it was horribly unbalanced. The alcohol was well-hidden only because of the excessive sweetness. I just simply did not enjoy this brew.

2.26/5  rDev -40.1%

From the bottle:
"Life is uncertain. Don't sip"

Pours a copper red color with some orange highlights. One finger head that disappeared within seconds.

Aroma of ripe cantaloupes and red licorice. Also some roasted malts.

A bit perfumey in the flavor. Some sweetness. The overripe cantaloupe flavor is turning my off a bit. Also some kind of berry flavor on the finish. Not much bitterness here to balance out the intense sweetness.

Pretty heavy mouth feel and somewhat chewy.

This one doesn't have verygood drinkability in my opinion.
There's just something a bit off with this one that i can't completely put my finger on.
The last 1/4 of the glass was really hard for me to swallow. Almost my first drain pour.

2.33/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured into a snifter on 7/15/12

Sunburnt copper; deep in color. One and a half finger head dissipates to a soapy layer over half the beer and a thinner skim over the other half. There are a few drippings of lace.

The aroma is deeply malty and smells primarily like spiced bread. The aroma calls to mind some of those used in the the winter time ales. Hops are timid - earthy and herbal. The flavor is spicy too; maybe not as much as the aroma. It tastes tinny, which makes for a bad combination with the herbal hops. Dry bread. Maybe a hint of piney hop resin. The feel is somewhere between thin and medium and is a tad watery despite some granular undercurrents. Carbonation is sufficiently puffy.

Overall, this one is drinkable, but it doesn't cut it for me. While not entirely bad, too much about the beer screams "hollow." It's been a long time since I've had one. I reckon it'll be a long time before I have another.

2.36/5  rDev -37.4%

I poured this skunky smelling flat beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was copper colored with a tan head that went away really fast. The tast was sour hoppy and reminded me of hay. The lacing was pretty decent but that is all I have to say good about this beer. I will not buy again.

2.38/5  rDev -36.9%

appearance: copper colored. fairly small head, quickly recedes to a nice lace

smell: sweet with fairly strong hops scent.

taste: very sweet, then bitter and hoppy. not as balanced between sweet and bitter as i would have liked. very slight caramel malt after-taste.

mouthfeel: light carbonation. slight alcohol feeling

drinkability: pretty drinkable. not as balanced as i was hoping for after reading other reviews. I probably won't buy it again but if i did i could have quite a few in one sitting.

2.48/5  rDev -34.2%

APPEARANCE: Golden Amber Color w/ a moderate amount of floating sediment (it's unfiltered).

SMELL: Sweet. Malty. Honey. No spices or scents stand out.

TASTE: Malty flavor with a bitter finish. Simple. Boring.

MOUTHFEEL: More carbonation than I would like. Not watery or rich. In the middle.

DRINKABILITY: Poor. Not a very enjoyable beer. I don't even feel like finishing the one I have now.

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Appearance - this was a very appealing beer from the bottle to the glass. It had a nice thickness and looked rich and full bodied.

Smell - I wasn't sure what to expect based on the name, but it did possess a ice aroma as the anticipation built!

Taste - I must say, "What a disappointment!" The flavor was not there, so I tried again. Still, the flavor lacked fullness and body and I could not find the expectations I had for this brew.

Mouthfeel - I was expecting a deep bodied, full flavored beer and was greatly disappointed.

Overall - Granted, I didn't know what to expect, but that's usually when I'm most excited by a new beer; this one did not deliver!

2.56/5  rDev -32.1%

Pours a nice fat two finger head, some small bubbles and some big ones, looks partly soapy and partly creamy. The body is almost completely see through, I know it' not the darkest ale, but in my opinion a amber ale should not be this see through. The color is about what an amber should be - amber, but it does have hints of that copper color too it. Overall I would be pretty pleased with this appearance if it wasn't so see through, it just makes it seem like there wont be much too it. This smells like pure grain to me, I mean there is a difference between a grain smell and a malty smell, this smells just like grain that you haven't even brewed yet. It's obviously a lighter grain, but it is for sure grain. Yeah, I mean it just smells like grain, and also it smells super super sweet. Those smells dominate, there isn't any room for anything else here. Some people might like that totally grain smell, but I don't, it smells gross to me, that's not what 99% of beers smell and taste like, so I don't think it should be considered good. This is especially offensive in this beer because it's an amber ale....ok, amber ales are supposed to be hoppy with a little bit of malts, this beer does not smell hoppy at all, and instead of malts you get pure grain, something is wrong here. We will see how it tastes, but I don't have high hopes. GROSS! GROSS beer, wow, what the heck!?!?! First of all, there are almost no hops here, what is up with that!?!?! It's an amber ale!!! Secondly, you get that huge grain flavor that I'm not a fan of, it's not as intense as I picked up on the smell, but still, way too noticeable. I mean other than that it just tastes completely boring. Boring boring boring, and an unwanted grain taste. It's only redeeming factor is the mouthfeel which is good, and it's appearance. The drinkability it ok, but that's only because it's so boring that it resembles water. Whatever, I'm over this beer, not impressed AT ALL. Overall, below average in my opinion.

2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

A - Pours a very dark but clear copper color (big surprise for a copper ale) very small head that quickly dies down to no lacing

S - Overpowering caramel sweet smell

T - No hops, the overpowering smell carries over to the beer, lots of caramel and malt, but nothing else.

M/D - Overpowering smell and taste make this something I will finish but hope to never encounter again. For those who enjoy the types of flavors evident here, this will be a big winner. However, for me it's a loser.

2.66/5  rDev -29.4%

Amber clear body with with a one finger head.Leaves some small but nice lacing on the glass.

Buiscuty malt in the nose at first sniff.

Some hoppieness,sorda bittering.and some malts.

Mouthful is a bit thin and carbonation is very easy.

This beer aint bad but I dont think I would revisit it again in the future.I havnt really been that happy with Lagunitas beers.

2.7/5  rDev -28.4%

A- the chronic is a clear copper amber with a standard bubbly buff colored head. looks like a canned biscuit. good amount of lace and retention.

S- intriguingly malty, cereal grains of all sorts, very nutty, pineapple, orange banana, actually alot like that dole pine-orange-banana juice. some caramel and diacetyl undertones.

T- dammit it has that wet dog taste. otherwise malty and semi-sweet, caramel, toasted nuts, sweet grains, toasted bread, stale tobacco, low earthy bitterness and somewhat lacking in character. i had hoped a beer with such a name would be... better. dr dre's been rapping about it for years.

MF- feels a little strange on the palate, somewhere in between cloying and sticky, pretty one dimensional, medium carbonation, a little syrupy.

D- not too good, tastes and feels awkward as the scales are tipped on the malty side.

2.71/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

A-Pours a coppery red with a one finger head with fine carbonation bubbles

S-Rich and fruity malt notes with a bit of with a hint of bubblegum.

T-Tart, fruity notes with some weird off notes of bubblegum and a weird bitterness.

M-Mouthfeel is pretty good but a little over-carbonated and a dry tartness on the finish.

D-The weird tartness was unexpected and very distracting. This really hurt the drinkability for me.

2.71/5  rDev -28.1%

Somewhat copper colored beer topped by a thinish cream-colored head. Fantastic malt aroma has notes of brown sugar and caramel accented by a bit of spicy hops. Unfortunately, the flavor doesn't follow the aroma too well. Some hops bitterness is quickly followed by an alcoholic kick which brings wisps of medicinal and metallic notes for the finish. A slight sweet note slips through every once in a while. Mouthfeel is rather thin for a moderate ABV beer. Drinkability - glad I bought just one, and this one will last for a while on my desk tonight.

2.72/5  rDev -27.9%

Bottle from Sammy: Poured a deep copper color ale with small off-white foamy head with average retention. Aroma of deep caramel malt with some very subtle hops. Taste is also dominated by sweet caramel malt with very little hops presence that I could detect. Body is a bit thin and alcohol is well hidden. A bit weak overall and definitely lacking character to make this worthwhile.

2.72/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz single bottle into a pint glass. Never tried this one before lets see what's what.

A- The label does not lie, this has a deep copper appearance to it, striking bronze at times. A steady pour yielded 2 fingaz of semi dark tan dense foam, well not that dense as it's dying down quickly. Some flimsy spots of lace.

S- The smell is not all that appealing. Getting some aroma hops and some roasted malts, but this rank rust type smell, well it says copper on the label, so there.

T- Caramel is there from the malt and some bittering hops that are fairly light. Malt forward definatly. As in smell the copper is there in taste as well. OK maybe not copper but some type of rust, off type flavor. Maybe it's just the label saying copper on it, maybe it's the bottle, maybe im losing my mind?

M- Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Mouthfeel is probably this beer's saving grace?

D- Lagunitas makes good beer, but not in this one. I kind of find myself getting similar flavor profiles in some offerings, perhaps the house ingredients. This is pretty light on alcohol so could be a nice session beer, maybe i'll give it another go on tap if I see it.

2.73/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle

A- Poured nice deep clear copper/amber color. After a hard pour I only ended with about a 1 finger head that quickly faded into nothing. No lacing on the sides of the glass. Kind of a average looking beer to be honest.

S- Sweet malty overtones (kind of smells like sweet potatoes). I don't get any sort of hop smell out of this at all. Kind of a shame I was expecting more from this. Some hints of brown sugar come and go. Nothing really else to this beer.

T- Really big upfront malt blast...once again that strange thanksgiving day taste to it. Sweet potatoes and an underlying brown sugar taste control this beer. Not good at all but at the same time strangely not bad. Not what I was expecting though.

M- Lighter mouthfeel to this. Carbination is a little off and the beer feels like it just sits in the mouth. Nothing really going on. Big malt aftertaste that sticks around.

D- I guess I must of had a bad bottle. I was expecting a lot more with this beer but to my suprise I didn't...not really at all. I will do another review on this if I can find a fresher bottle.

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

An aggressive pour from the 12 oz bottle directly into the middle of my tulip coaxes close to a finger's worth of head that's gone within 20 seconds. Dark orange/copperish body underneath. Minimal lacing.

Smells very sweet- honey, caramel, baking bread. Hint of floral hops, but very sweet overall.

Tastes even sweeter than it smells. In fact, sweetness is about all there is too it. Lots of caramel, toffee, brown sugar and baking bread. Very sticky, cloyingly sweet, with mercifully a hint of hops in the finish. Too sweet for my taste.

Mouthfeel is sticky, highlighting all that sweetness. I don't love this. Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is not good for me. Struggled just to finish the bottle.

Overall impression: Not a balanced or enjoyable amber ale, IMO. Too much sticky sweetness and not enough roasted/toastedness here. Lagunitas seems to be a love it or hate it brewery for me, and this brew is unfortunately not on the 'love it' end of that equation.

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

The colour is deep copper, the liquid is clear. The two finger head is off-white. It sinks quickly leaving some lumps of lacing.

The smell is hoppy and sweet. Distinct notes of dried apricots and apples. Some lightly roasted malt and a touch of caramel. It is not very bitter; rather it is a bit dusty.

The taste is mildly roasted with quite a lot of sweet malty flavours. Some hints of vegetables and dried fruits. The bitter flavour passes quickly, leaving some notes of wax crayons, dried apples and a touch of rye bread. The aftertaste is a bit dry with some bitterness, alcohol and vegetables.
The carbonation is medium to light, the small bubbles are smooth. The liquid is a little sticky.

I am not a big fan of American red/amber ales, and this one didn't make me much more positive.

2.91/5  rDev -22.8%

Its look is definitely copper and the taste has a pretty smooth yet a little bitter taste. But the taste isn't super flavorful. Its an okay beer for this brewery. They have a lot better beers.

2.95/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Carmel colored... I guess you could say "copper" in color, very small cream colored head that lasts only for a couple of minutes resulting in a little bit of lacing on my glass.

S: Sweet caramel malt. A hint of pine hops but, mainly carmel malt though.

T: Sweet carmel malt gives way to a slight pine finish. A sweetness comes back at the aftertaste. Pretty well balanced...

M/D: Light to medium body as expected... Not very carbonated...almost seems a bit flat.

Not my favorite Lagunita's brew, but palatable.

2.96/5  rDev -21.5%

12oz bottle purchased at the Rocket Market in Spokane for $1.29.

A mahogany colored brew with a 1/2-inch white head. The head dropped quicker than Jim West's chances for running for WA governor (look it up, Einsteins). More lace than I expected, and a foamy collar endured.

Smell was very sweet. Smelled like a malt bomb. There's some spicy hoppiness too, but they take a back seat to the sweetness of this. I really don't think this is how it's supposed to smell.

Taste was better balanced than the smell. Still, I'm not overly impressed. Big malt presence that would be decently balanced if the hops were more aggressive. They aren't, and come off wimpy by comparison. Oddly enough, it seems more boozy than a 7.7% beer should.

Not terribly impressed with this one, but it isn't awful, though I really doubt I could stomach another one in rapid succession. Have to wonder if this is a bad bottle. It just seems way too sweet to have been intentional.

2.96/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a traditional pint glass.

Appearance: A fast-fading one-finger head with very inconsistent, crazy bubble structure. A deep orange-brown body with medium-to-active carbonation. Very average-looking.

Aroma: Now this is nice. Caramel, brown sugar, and some good fruity esters - cherries, apple peel.

Taste: A big letdown from the nose, possibly the biggest discrepancy between an aroma and taste I've ever experienced. Some spicy hop bitterness and a strong, lightly toasted malt backbone ... and little else. Maybe some mild, cleaner-like ethanol in the finish. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel: Big-bodied, and again, that very inconsistent bubble structure makes for a course, rough mouth. Profile is also very large, makin' it a little too "fluffy."

Drinkability: Eh. Way too one-dimensional, and the mouthfeel becomes annoying after a while. I finished it, but I wasn't thrilled with the last half.

A decidedly middling affair. I've had this on tap before and enjoyed it more, but I was pretty disappointed with this bottle. There are more enjoyable, more complex, and plain better interpretations of the style.

2.97/5  rDev -21.2%

Look - Was poured into a tulip glass. It had very little head that disappeared quickly. It was a beautiful amber, with red hues.

Smell - There was not much going on for the smell.

Taste - It is sharp on the front. There are some caramel malt, and a hoppy bitterness that runs from start to finish. There is a light nutty flavor. It was a little out of balance.

Feel - It was pretty light.

Drinkability - It was a decent beer. The look was great, but went downhill from there. The bitterness and sweetness made this a little hard for me on the drinkability. I would not order again.

2.98/5  rDev -21%

03/14/05- Purchased at Safeway in Guerneville, CA

Presentation- Poured into a standard pint glass from a 12 oz bottle with no dates.

Appearance- Almost a cherry red pour with a large head and fair sheets of lacing left behind.

Smell- Some sweet scents along with some floral aspects.

Taste- Damn! This dude is sweet! Ultra heavy in the sweet malt department here. I was expecting to get some hops in the mix, but the sweet malt overpowers everything.

Mouthfeel- Kinda like a low grade cough sryup going down. Medium carbonation level.

Drinkability- Sorry, but I didn't much care for this one. The sweetness just made it a bit hard for me to take.

Censored from Lagunitas Brewing Company