Join our email list →

American Amber / Red Ale | 6.75% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

Reviews: 870 | Hads: 2,629
3.61/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Poured into a small goblet (all I had, actually)- one-finger head, ruby-red colour. Very nice!

S: Not as pungent as expected- dry, hoppy, but nothing too unusual or unexpected.

T: Solid tasting- Starts off with a touch of sweetness, actually. Then the hops come into play- they are not overly bitter, but I do like the bite I get. It lingers well, but, again, nothing that really "speaks" to me as particularly unique.

M: A little thinner than I would have expected or liked, but can't complain.

O: Solid, drinkable everyday beer. This is actually the first Lagunitas I've had, and I think I'll return to the brewery.

TG

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured: Pint Glass

Appearance: Deep amber. Minimum head w/ slight retention.

Smell: Sweet, fruity aroma

Taste: Toasty w/ caramel notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium/high carbonation.

Drinkability: Balance very much leans towards malts. Hop character is very much subdued, so low hop bitterness. A little bit more sweet than other ambers/reds. Finish is roasty. Overall, if you like sweet and low bitter beers, this is a 'sweet' selection!

4.21/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Clear, dark copper, with quickly dissolving head.

Smell: Strong malts and caramel, maybe some slight hops aroma.

Taste: Malty sweet, slightly buttery flavor. The alcohol taste is hidden well.

Mouth: Medium body, slightly oily. Good, but not overly carbonated.

Overall: I'd call this a session beer, but with pretty balanced taste. A good beer, that I'd be happy to entertain again, but not something truly remarkable.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured into a frozen mug- about a finger of pale head that fades quickly.

Nice, rich caramel color in the glass with a sweet smell. I felt like I was tasting fruit but noticed a review that said maple syrup and that may be the sweetness I was picking up.

Lightly carbonated. Smooth, sweet taste

This would be a good morning starter or afternoon brew but I don't think I could go it all day. I am enjoying it on the deck with a cigar and it is perfect for this mild day.

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear copper with a thick white head. Smell is amber malt, very clean. Taste is hoppy, slightly sweet. The feel is well suited for this beer. I continue to come back to the Lagunitas core lineup when I need a break from beer exploration, never disappointing

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Apearance: Get this-a nice deep copper color. Minimal lacing with a decent head.

Smell: Sweet malty aroma

Taste: Heavy on the malt flavor, but not overpowering. Hops are there but do not stand out.

Mouthfeel: Low to medium on the carbonation. Avery smooth drink for an ale.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink.

Overall a good beer if you crave some malty goodness-but not a malt bomb.

3.36/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a nice amber, copper color with a one finger creamy white head. Great lacing left behind as the head falls back into the beer.

Smells of carmel malt and light citrus hops. I was expecting a bigger aroma from a beer also known as the Kronic.

Nice balance. Starts with a subtle hop bitterness followed by a nice matly sweetness. Citrus hoppiness re-enters the taste in the end ever so slight and ends dry. It seems to be lacking some punch as it flirts with a big flavor explosion but never really follows through. Maybe the name is deceiving but I was expecting something a little bigger.

Overall, a nice balanced brew and different offering from Lagunitas. Good session beer in my opinion. More flavors and character reveal itself the more I drink. Time to grab another one. Cheers!

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Appearance - this was a very appealing beer from the bottle to the glass. It had a nice thickness and looked rich and full bodied.

Smell - I wasn't sure what to expect based on the name, but it did possess a ice aroma as the anticipation built!

Taste - I must say, "What a disappointment!" The flavor was not there, so I tried again. Still, the flavor lacked fullness and body and I could not find the expectations I had for this brew.

Mouthfeel - I was expecting a deep bodied, full flavored beer and was greatly disappointed.

Overall - Granted, I didn't know what to expect, but that's usually when I'm most excited by a new beer; this one did not deliver!

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This became one of my go to's for the last few months while the store across the street from my house had it. just pulling the last out of the fridge. It has a nice hop load with out making you feel like you just cut the grass. I found it tastiest at winter time room temp (in my apartment that's around 65) Right out of the fridge it doesn't have as much character as some of the other lagunitas offerings. I found myself turning on Hulu and forgetting I was drinking a beer... but then somewhere between warm and hot it really shines. It's actually kinda nice when the second half of your beer is better than the first. (like when you spend too much time typing and not enough time drinking! wait for it.... yep tastes great!)

will drink again when it comes back...

4.37/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Nice copper color with no faults.
S: Very amotic with malts, fruit, and hops.
T: Sweet malts with a nice bitter hop to add balance
M: Medium bodied
D: Very good, easy to drink yet offers plenty of flavors.

Overall, a very good amber/copper ale. Well balanced flavors.

4.11/5  rDev +9%

Poured into a fist-wide tumbler, produces a short soapy head that dissipates fairly quickly. The copper/amber color is absolutely beautiful, it immediately brings to mind amber jewelry.
Smells very mild, maybe some clean pine as well as faint musty earth.
Taste is unexpected relative to the mild nose. Sharp citrusy hop intro followed immediately by big bready malts. Definitely sweet throughout, like if small pieces of dried grapefruit were baked into a dark bread? Maybe w/ a touch of orange zest too? Finishes bitter, mostly clean except for a musty pungence lurking on top of the back of my tongue. Intriguing flavor profiles, I'm not sure if it's particularly complex but there seems to be a lot going on, it definitely takes a while to identify everything.
Mouthfeel starts sharp w/ crisp carbonation that quickly gets creamy while rolling it around. Awesomeness.

I only had one sip left by the time I was assessing mouthfeel, which is a clear indicator that I really enjoyed this beer. Right now I'm knocking back a second one, which is just as enjoyable as trying to distinguish the characteristics of the first one. The choice for carbonation seems very smart, it accentuate a spiciness while acting as a balancing agent to smooth out all the flavors. Lagunitas makes damn good beer. A number of them seem to be slight variations on a certain style but Censored shows off some different tricks that I definitely wasn't expecting.

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%

The most noticable was the never-ending rolling stream of upward and falling carbonation as tiny bubbles. This dance was backdropped by a beautiful bright, clear copper-amber brew mounting a creamy off-white head of little height slipping to a soft covering. With each sip a sticky lace remained. I expected less from this beer but found it drinks as pleasing as it did on draught with a slightly different finish. The nose was smalll with malts and floral hops. The body was a medium feel with good length and a nice balance of malts and soft hops. The finish was dry with a delicate hop bitter which remained in memory. As I reread this review I must say the alcohol was well hidden until I began to write. Enjoy...

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a dark copper color, hence the name. Decent lacing, and thin later of white head.

S: Sugar, Carmamel, and mild hops.

T: Pretty much tastes how it smells. This is very well balanced.

M: Mild carbonation, a little creamy with a bit of a bite.

D: Session beer with good flavor. Very enjoyable to knock back 3 or 4 of these.

4.36/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured in a pint glass.

A - nice head that diminishes slowly with nice lacing.

S - nice rich malty aroma. Nice fruity note - hint of raisin? toasty and sweet.

T - Dark fruit taste with raisin, cherry? and a nice grainy taste Hint of a floral to earthy hop flavor at the end was not expected. Also some yeast esters noted.

M - crisp carbonation, medium body. No ill aftertaste.

I was not sure if this would be another red ale like Killian's and normally avoid them, but this is nice. Sweet but enough complexity to make it a very worthwhile beer choice.

3.62/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a 0.47l tulip glass.

What a beautiful beer! Reddish burnt orange, brilliant clarity, small dense bubbles. Careful pour yields perfectly compact head and fractal patterns of lace in glass.

The smell is mostly dominated by the malts with hints of floral hops and a bit of breadiness. Maybe even a hint of almond-Amaretto?

Taste is good. Very good. But, somehow didn't strike be as fully balanced and integrated as I recalled from previous experience. Malt gets the leading role with hops playing 2nd chair.

Excellent use of malt and nearly perfect carbonation provides the backbone for great mouthfeel. This beer looks and feels good.

Overall, I'm still pleased, but was left just a little shy of expectations.

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Deep amber. Even bronze-like. Thin off-white head. Not too much lacing.

S: Very bready and earthy. Mineraly. When cold, you smell the hops more, but as it warms, it brings out the more malty and earthy tones.

T: Less hops than I expected. Quite peaty at first and goes to the dark bready and malt flavors. Slighty abrasive, but in a good way.

M: Medium to light bodied. Light carbonation. Not too bad. Not to heavy on the stomach.

O: Not too bad. A decent offering from my favorite brewery. It's nice to know that they can make something that's not bombarded by hops. Personally, it strongly reminds me of a scotch ale because of the very earthy and peaty tones. For one of my first copper ales, I like it. Definitely recommended.

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

A: 12 oz. stubby, brown bottle. 1/2" of cream head rests on top of a slightly hazy, copper body with active carbonation throughout. Big patches of foam stick to the sides of the glass.

S: Not much of a nose, I'm afraid: bready, slight caramel, maybe some grassy hops.

T: Caramel malt hits the taste buds first; sweet and toasty. The hop bitterness is just right. There's nothing too fancy about this beer. It's pretty straight forward, but it has a great flavor.

M: Medium-Full.

D: It disappeared from my glass very quickly.

Notes: A great session ale!

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

A. Medium brown color seems to have little carbonation and minimum head.

S. Has some sweet biscuity malts. A slight herbal spice in the background.

T. The taste is where this beer is. Flavors all combine great to create a really enjoyable beer. Mild bitterness with some herbal spices matching the smell.

M. Decent body not super strong but enjoyable.

D. Great brew and being the first brew I've tried from Lagunitas I'm highly pleased.

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%

Another Launitas' beer that I can add to my list of favorites. Remember when you were a kid and "accidentally" swallowed a penny? We all know that taste. I never imagined i would ever taste it again, especially in a beer. I didn't know I liked pennies so much, the copper tones in this beer work great.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

A: clear copper with a slight head that dissipates, very little lacing.

S: toasted sweet malts in the nose with a background spice.

T: nice toasted malt flavour. hops come in with a little bitterness, but the sweetness stands up to them for a nice balance. a little juiciness somewhere in the middle, maybe some apple skin.

M: good medium body to hold up the flavours, but still crisp.

D: very nicely balanced red ale, could easily have a few of these.

3.41/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottle of Censored Rich Copper Ale AKA The Kronik Poured into a Pilsner although I would probably drink this one straight out of the bottle as there isn't much going on in the smell department.

OG 1.065 IBO 25

Censored as the name says is a rich crystal clear copper colored brew. An off white fluffy tannish orange head forms well and lasts a little while with pretty good lacing. It doesnt stick around all that long.

My overall impression is a touch on the boring side but it is still very drinkable. It is very malty tasting with about 0 hops taste. You get a little bitterness at the very end so you know there were a bit of hops in there somewhere. Overall it has a very smooth and easy going taste. There are no highlights except the hoppy ending. I could see this as a session beer especially if you caught it on sale for under 10 a sixer. If you are a hops lover you won't dig this beer unless you are looking for a change. The taste really grew on me when I cracked the second bottle and now at the beginning of my third for the evening...it goes down easy and I am not tired of it. Sometimes if I am trying something I like it but don't think I could drink more than 1 or 2 at a sitting or like to give them a rest for a while before I want another. Not really having that feeling with Censored.

Its not bad but it doesn't excel at anything. It is a very good average tasting craft brew.

I want to try this stuff aged in something. It would give it a little more character. I will be looking for censored oak aged (insert flavor) next time.

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Formally "the Kronik", this Amber Ale is poured from a 12oz. stub bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A - marketed as a "Rich Copper Ale", and there is truth in the marketing; penny red-orange, hardly any carbonation and a finger & 1/2 of fluffy cream head. Head retention is excellent with beautiful lacing all the way down.

S - rich caramel malts, toasted marshmallow, pine, and very light hops.

T - translates from the aroma well; not sharp at all; rich but not decadent.

M - smooth and creamy; very drinkable; a good session beer.

O - great beer, and one of my favorites of the style. A go-to during the week, and a great paring beer for many styles of cooking.

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

Bottle with hard to find bottled date (located around the borttom of the bottle in dark, tiny print), beer is 100 days old.

Nice appearance in glass, copper reddish color. Head has circles of hop oil once it settled down.

Smell is almost all of malt with a tiny touch of hops. Tastes nice, malty flavour turns into noble hops and finishes rather sweet from the malt. The hops come through nicely but not too strong.

Mouthfeel is good, nothing outstanding here. Drinkability, I could have a few or several of these...

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

Very standard amber ale. Very nice copper color in the glass with a nice foamy white head. Lots of malt sweetness up front and just a hint of hop character to balance. Feels full bodied in the mouth with a lot of sweetness at the finish. Very easy to drink a few of these.

3.31/5  rDev -12.2%

Just as the title claims it to be, a copper ale that pours a thin dirty ivory head that sinks to moderate lacing.

The smell doesn't really deliver as expected to be for this style. I don't know if there's something wrong with my nose or the smell is really absent. From what I can detect, it smells of SLIGHT caramel maple-ish malt.

The taste is toasty sweet caramel syrup malt that slowly diminishes at the hops proceed the slight bitterness.

I have to admit that i have a slight sore throat, and I don't know if that's hindering my perspective on the mouthfeel of this fine ale, but it seems like the carbonation kicks up as it trickles down (no homo).

Being that American Amber Ales are one of my favorite styles, I feel biased to say that this beer is highly drinkable.

Censored from Lagunitas Brewing Company