Censored - Lagunitas Brewing Company

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.75% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

Reviews: 855 | Hads: 2,527
3.89/5  rDev +2.9%

A: 12 oz. stubby, brown bottle. 1/2" of cream head rests on top of a slightly hazy, copper body with active carbonation throughout. Big patches of foam stick to the sides of the glass.

S: Not much of a nose, I'm afraid: bready, slight caramel, maybe some grassy hops.

T: Caramel malt hits the taste buds first; sweet and toasty. The hop bitterness is just right. There's nothing too fancy about this beer. It's pretty straight forward, but it has a great flavor.

M: Medium-Full.

D: It disappeared from my glass very quickly.

Notes: A great session ale! (557 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +13%

A. Medium brown color seems to have little carbonation and minimum head.

S. Has some sweet biscuity malts. A slight herbal spice in the background.

T. The taste is where this beer is. Flavors all combine great to create a really enjoyable beer. Mild bitterness with some herbal spices matching the smell.

M. Decent body not super strong but enjoyable.

D. Great brew and being the first brew I've tried from Lagunitas I'm highly pleased. (441 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +1.1%

Another Launitas' beer that I can add to my list of favorites. Remember when you were a kid and "accidentally" swallowed a penny? We all know that taste. I never imagined i would ever taste it again, especially in a beer. I didn't know I liked pennies so much, the copper tones in this beer work great. (302 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +5%

A: clear copper with a slight head that dissipates, very little lacing.

S: toasted sweet malts in the nose with a background spice.

T: nice toasted malt flavour. hops come in with a little bitterness, but the sweetness stands up to them for a nice balance. a little juiciness somewhere in the middle, maybe some apple skin.

M: good medium body to hold up the flavours, but still crisp.

D: very nicely balanced red ale, could easily have a few of these. (456 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle of Censored Rich Copper Ale AKA The Kronik Poured into a Pilsner although I would probably drink this one straight out of the bottle as there isn't much going on in the smell department.

OG 1.065 IBO 25

Censored as the name says is a rich crystal clear copper colored brew. An off white fluffy tannish orange head forms well and lasts a little while with pretty good lacing. It doesnt stick around all that long.

My overall impression is a touch on the boring side but it is still very drinkable. It is very malty tasting with about 0 hops taste. You get a little bitterness at the very end so you know there were a bit of hops in there somewhere. Overall it has a very smooth and easy going taste. There are no highlights except the hoppy ending. I could see this as a session beer especially if you caught it on sale for under 10 a sixer. If you are a hops lover you won't dig this beer unless you are looking for a change. The taste really grew on me when I cracked the second bottle and now at the beginning of my third for the evening...it goes down easy and I am not tired of it. Sometimes if I am trying something I like it but don't think I could drink more than 1 or 2 at a sitting or like to give them a rest for a while before I want another. Not really having that feeling with Censored.

Its not bad but it doesn't excel at anything. It is a very good average tasting craft brew.

I want to try this stuff aged in something. It would give it a little more character. I will be looking for censored oak aged (insert flavor) next time. (1,559 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Formally "the Kronik", this Amber Ale is poured from a 12oz. stub bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A - marketed as a "Rich Copper Ale", and there is truth in the marketing; penny red-orange, hardly any carbonation and a finger & 1/2 of fluffy cream head. Head retention is excellent with beautiful lacing all the way down.

S - rich caramel malts, toasted marshmallow, pine, and very light hops.

T - translates from the aroma well; not sharp at all; rich but not decadent.

M - smooth and creamy; very drinkable; a good session beer.

O - great beer, and one of my favorites of the style. A go-to during the week, and a great paring beer for many styles of cooking. (668 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Deep amber. Even bronze-like. Thin off-white head. Not too much lacing.

S: Very bready and earthy. Mineraly. When cold, you smell the hops more, but as it warms, it brings out the more malty and earthy tones.

T: Less hops than I expected. Quite peaty at first and goes to the dark bready and malt flavors. Slighty abrasive, but in a good way.

M: Medium to light bodied. Light carbonation. Not too bad. Not to heavy on the stomach.

O: Not too bad. A decent offering from my favorite brewery. It's nice to know that they can make something that's not bombarded by hops. Personally, it strongly reminds me of a scotch ale because of the very earthy and peaty tones. For one of my first copper ales, I like it. Definitely recommended. (739 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

Bottle with hard to find bottled date (located around the borttom of the bottle in dark, tiny print), beer is 100 days old.

Nice appearance in glass, copper reddish color. Head has circles of hop oil once it settled down.

Smell is almost all of malt with a tiny touch of hops. Tastes nice, malty flavour turns into noble hops and finishes rather sweet from the malt. The hops come through nicely but not too strong.

Mouthfeel is good, nothing outstanding here. Drinkability, I could have a few or several of these... (527 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Very standard amber ale. Very nice copper color in the glass with a nice foamy white head. Lots of malt sweetness up front and just a hint of hop character to balance. Feels full bodied in the mouth with a lot of sweetness at the finish. Very easy to drink a few of these. (272 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -12.4%

Just as the title claims it to be, a copper ale that pours a thin dirty ivory head that sinks to moderate lacing.

The smell doesn't really deliver as expected to be for this style. I don't know if there's something wrong with my nose or the smell is really absent. From what I can detect, it smells of SLIGHT caramel maple-ish malt.

The taste is toasty sweet caramel syrup malt that slowly diminishes at the hops proceed the slight bitterness.

I have to admit that i have a slight sore throat, and I don't know if that's hindering my perspective on the mouthfeel of this fine ale, but it seems like the carbonation kicks up as it trickles down (no homo).

Being that American Amber Ales are one of my favorite styles, I feel biased to say that this beer is highly drinkable. (781 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

This beer looked tasty in the glass. Great copper color with small off white head. I was surprised by the strong smell of hops as I expected a more subdued roasted smell. In flavor it really comes off as an IPA which I was not expecting. The alcohol comes out in the flavor more than I expected even in a beer the is almost 6%. It leaves a fantastic aftertaste that shows off the complexities and sweetness that are lost to the hops and alcohol during the actual drink. It goes down easy though almost like flat soda. Overall this taste like a nice easy IPA. But for myself I would choose something else even if I was looking for an IPA. (637 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

O, Atlanta Brewing Company, now Red Brick, why do you and I have it so hard right now? You disappointed me this weekend, but, when I had your beer at Taco Mac, all was forgiven. The original Laughing Skull died right as I was starting to love beer; the last one I had had been sitting around and was oxidated and flat. However, as the new version came out, I decided it was my job as an Atlantan to give the beer a new taste. I was impressed. The malted sweetness in this beer is highlighted by the addition of roasted grain. This beer is possibly one of the most drinkable beers made in the city. The body is fairly medium and finishes with a good balance. If you can find this beer on tap, drink it. It turns over fast and really packs a refreshing punch.

www.dudeletter.com/?p=1000 (786 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -21.4%

Look - Was poured into a tulip glass. It had very little head that disappeared quickly. It was a beautiful amber, with red hues.

Smell - There was not much going on for the smell.

Taste - It is sharp on the front. There are some caramel malt, and a hoppy bitterness that runs from start to finish. There is a light nutty flavor. It was a little out of balance.

Feel - It was pretty light.

Drinkability - It was a decent beer. The look was great, but went downhill from there. The bitterness and sweetness made this a little hard for me on the drinkability. I would not order again. (588 characters)

Poured very easily from the bottle; giving a copper strong ale color. Nice aroma. Thick, bubbly off white head. Great rich look. Caramel malt smell and full sweet dark sugar candy like flavor.

Mouthfeel thick and rich. Sweetness stays on the tongue. (251 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -9.3%

A Amber in color with little head white in color

S not much slight floral and malt

T Hops jumps right out at you at first then turns bready with some nice floral tones after taste bitter just hops.

M light average Red Ale

D average red ale

Tastes like an amber ale hopped up on hops. not too special but nice. (314 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fan of some other Lagunitas offerings so I figured I'd give this a try.

A: Pourse a deep red/copper color with little to no head and no lacing. Very low carbonation and somewhat cloudy.

S; First impression is of carmel with a faint hint of citrus. The aroma is not very pronounced, but a little sweet smelling

T: First taste that hits the palate is of carmel and sweet malts. As you continue to drink, a mild hop bitterness starts to show and remians only for a short while. There is little to no hop aftertaste, but some metallic undertones remain (hope its just from the bottle)

M: Little carbonation, smooth, perhaps a little watery

D: Easily drinkable as nothing overpowers. Beer that I could easily have 2 or 3 at and not be bothered by the flavors.

Not the best Lagunitas product. Not very complex and doesnt have the same hoppy kick as other strong ales I have had, quite mild and easily drinkable though. Possibly would buy again, but Id stick with the stronger hopped American strong ales. (1,016 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

A - This beer pours a rich, clear copper with some orange tones visible when held up to the light. The once finger width, off-white head dissipates to a thinner version of its former self, leaving behind minimal lacing.

S - The smell is all malt, having a rich, dark, sweetness. There also seems to be a faint aroma similar to that resulting from the use of a Belgian yeast strain. I could pick this up more as the beer warmed a bit. There is little to no hop presence I can detect.

T - The initial taste is big, malty, luxurious even. This gives way to alcohol and a slight hop bitterness.

M - The mouthfeel is medium/full. This brew coats the tongue in a very pleasing way.

O - Overall, this is a solid brew. I very much enjoyed it and will purchase this again. (767 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Drank 3 straight out of the bottle.

Smooth well put together "copper ale". Subtle hop presence and medium carbonation somewhat balance the malt sweetness. Very drinkable but with a decent kick at 6.7%.

1/1 (207 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%

I'm not a big fan of copper ales but this one was actually pretty good.

Consumed with a pilsner glass.

Appearance - Great copper/amber color. A little dark for a copper beer. Small head even after an that didn't last long even after an aggressive pour. Partial lacing dissipated very quickly.

Smell - Strong metallic smell with a hint of caramel.

Taste - On the side of the bottle it said "Life is uncertain. Don't sip." So I drank accordingly and had no problem. Good taste for a copper ale. Caramel with a weak metallic taste.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and carbonated.

Drinkability - I don't think I could drink more than 2 with the amount of mucus build up in my mouth, but I would drink it again if I cam across it. Remember...don't sip. (739 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance- Amber with a hint of orange. 2 finger head that mostly sticks with it all the way down.

Smell- Sweet malt and toffee.

Taste- Same as the smell. A little sweetness and roasted toffee flavor. A nice hop bite in the end that was a surprise.

Mouthfeel- Nice creamy finish, good carbination.

Overall- Im never disapointed in a Lagunitas brew. This is another great beer in what I feel to be a under rated style. I will be buying more of this and other offerings from the Lagunitas gang. (498 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -20.4%

I love Lagunitas. This Copper Ale, as they call it, is a nice beer.
A= Nice golden, almost burnt red color. Head is a nice rich white foam.
S= A bit alcoholic for my nose. I found the alcohol masked the rich malty aromas I was hoping for and have found in previous experiences with this beer.
T= Taste was nice. Rich, malty and a bit of sweetness that was a nice surprise considering the lack thereof in the nose.
M= Medium mouthfeel with a bit of a slimey feel. I think the low carbonation attributed to this.
O= Overall I did enjoy the beer... just not my favorite Lagunitas effort by far. (592 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +24.6%

My lord, this is a scary ass tasty beer. I am stunned that the ratings are not higher because it is awesome!!! Pours a beautiful copper color. Rich malty aroma with an orange twang. Lightly sweet malty flavor with some grainy edginess and citric hops to balance. Rich and full body. You would never guess the alcohol content…no wonder they call it the Kronic. Fabulous! (370 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Beautiful blood-orange/reddish color. Poured a 1 inch head of foam which subsides slowly leaving a seafoam lacing on the glass.

S: Definitely smell the malts over the hops. There's a strong earthy/tea smell on top of the malty biscuit aroma.

T: Powerful rich malty flavor, as advertised. Alcohol is hidden very well and this is something that's quite drinkable. The hoppiness comes through in the taste much more than the malt but is still subtle. Not spectacular, but very exemplary of style, very well balanced, and quite tasty.

M: Perfectly carbonated, refreshing but not carbonated enough to hide any of the delicious maltiness or destroy the subtle hopped flavors.

O: This is indeed a rich copper ale. Goes great with steak or a ham sandwich and is overall, a solid beer, worth the price. (800 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Clear, thin head due to my distracted pour, clean white head that laced well
S: Malty. Caramel notes with an ever so faint pale chocolate malt note,
T: Sweet accented by caramel, toffee, brown sugar. Mild earthy hopiness
M: Medium / full
O: I enjoyed this beer over the weekend in Destin. A much better choice than the Corona in a can sitting 1 chair over. I enjoyed the malty profile with a hint of hops. I would definitely enjoy a six pack of this beer. (460 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -22%

A: Carmel colored... I guess you could say "copper" in color, very small cream colored head that lasts only for a couple of minutes resulting in a little bit of lacing on my glass.

S: Sweet caramel malt. A hint of pine hops but, mainly carmel malt though.

T: Sweet carmel malt gives way to a slight pine finish. A sweetness comes back at the aftertaste. Pretty well balanced...

M/D: Light to medium body as expected... Not very carbonated...almost seems a bit flat.

Not my favorite Lagunita's brew, but palatable.

Serving type: bottle (541 characters)

Censored from Lagunitas Brewing Company