Censored - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002

Ratings: 2,508 | Reviews: 867
3.62/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a 0.47l tulip glass.

What a beautiful beer! Reddish burnt orange, brilliant clarity, small dense bubbles. Careful pour yields perfectly compact head and fractal patterns of lace in glass.

The smell is mostly dominated by the malts with hints of floral hops and a bit of breadiness. Maybe even a hint of almond-Amaretto?

Taste is good. Very good. But, somehow didn't strike be as fully balanced and integrated as I recalled from previous experience. Malt gets the leading role with hops playing 2nd chair.

Excellent use of malt and nearly perfect carbonation provides the backbone for great mouthfeel. This beer looks and feels good.

Overall, I'm still pleased, but was left just a little shy of expectations.

2.53/5  rDev -32%

Appearance - this was a very appealing beer from the bottle to the glass. It had a nice thickness and looked rich and full bodied.

Smell - I wasn't sure what to expect based on the name, but it did possess a ice aroma as the anticipation built!

Taste - I must say, "What a disappointment!" The flavor was not there, so I tried again. Still, the flavor lacked fullness and body and I could not find the expectations I had for this brew.

Mouthfeel - I was expecting a deep bodied, full flavored beer and was greatly disappointed.

Overall - Granted, I didn't know what to expect, but that's usually when I'm most excited by a new beer; this one did not deliver!

4.11/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a fist-wide tumbler, produces a short soapy head that dissipates fairly quickly. The copper/amber color is absolutely beautiful, it immediately brings to mind amber jewelry.
Smells very mild, maybe some clean pine as well as faint musty earth.
Taste is unexpected relative to the mild nose. Sharp citrusy hop intro followed immediately by big bready malts. Definitely sweet throughout, like if small pieces of dried grapefruit were baked into a dark bread? Maybe w/ a touch of orange zest too? Finishes bitter, mostly clean except for a musty pungence lurking on top of the back of my tongue. Intriguing flavor profiles, I'm not sure if it's particularly complex but there seems to be a lot going on, it definitely takes a while to identify everything.
Mouthfeel starts sharp w/ crisp carbonation that quickly gets creamy while rolling it around. Awesomeness.

I only had one sip left by the time I was assessing mouthfeel, which is a clear indicator that I really enjoyed this beer. Right now I'm knocking back a second one, which is just as enjoyable as trying to distinguish the characteristics of the first one. The choice for carbonation seems very smart, it accentuate a spiciness while acting as a balancing agent to smooth out all the flavors. Lagunitas makes damn good beer. A number of them seem to be slight variations on a certain style but Censored shows off some different tricks that I definitely wasn't expecting.

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This became one of my go to's for the last few months while the store across the street from my house had it. just pulling the last out of the fridge. It has a nice hop load with out making you feel like you just cut the grass. I found it tastiest at winter time room temp (in my apartment that's around 65) Right out of the fridge it doesn't have as much character as some of the other lagunitas offerings. I found myself turning on Hulu and forgetting I was drinking a beer... but then somewhere between warm and hot it really shines. It's actually kinda nice when the second half of your beer is better than the first. (like when you spend too much time typing and not enough time drinking! wait for it.... yep tastes great!)

will drink again when it comes back...

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this beer on tap in a Lagunitas custom "mason jar" glass. Great color, medium head. Taste is malty and rich on the front end, but finishes a bit hoppy and citrus on the end. Overall, a really good beer. This is what is expected from Lagunitas, though.

3.89/5  rDev +4.6%

A: 12 oz. stubby, brown bottle. 1/2" of cream head rests on top of a slightly hazy, copper body with active carbonation throughout. Big patches of foam stick to the sides of the glass.

S: Not much of a nose, I'm afraid: bready, slight caramel, maybe some grassy hops.

T: Caramel malt hits the taste buds first; sweet and toasty. The hop bitterness is just right. There's nothing too fancy about this beer. It's pretty straight forward, but it has a great flavor.

M: Medium-Full.

D: It disappeared from my glass very quickly.

Notes: A great session ale!

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%

A. Medium brown color seems to have little carbonation and minimum head.

S. Has some sweet biscuity malts. A slight herbal spice in the background.

T. The taste is where this beer is. Flavors all combine great to create a really enjoyable beer. Mild bitterness with some herbal spices matching the smell.

M. Decent body not super strong but enjoyable.

D. Great brew and being the first brew I've tried from Lagunitas I'm highly pleased.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

Another Launitas' beer that I can add to my list of favorites. Remember when you were a kid and "accidentally" swallowed a penny? We all know that taste. I never imagined i would ever taste it again, especially in a beer. I didn't know I liked pennies so much, the copper tones in this beer work great.

3.49/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

As ambers/reds are my favorite style, I had to give this a try. It's not bad and you can taste the higher alcohol content versus a beer of the same type like Avalanche or Fat Tire, but this beer is wonderful on the palate.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

A: clear copper with a slight head that dissipates, very little lacing.

S: toasted sweet malts in the nose with a background spice.

T: nice toasted malt flavour. hops come in with a little bitterness, but the sweetness stands up to them for a nice balance. a little juiciness somewhere in the middle, maybe some apple skin.

M: good medium body to hold up the flavours, but still crisp.

D: very nicely balanced red ale, could easily have a few of these.

3.41/5  rDev -8.3%

Bottle of Censored Rich Copper Ale AKA The Kronik Poured into a Pilsner although I would probably drink this one straight out of the bottle as there isn't much going on in the smell department.

OG 1.065 IBO 25

Censored as the name says is a rich crystal clear copper colored brew. An off white fluffy tannish orange head forms well and lasts a little while with pretty good lacing. It doesnt stick around all that long.

My overall impression is a touch on the boring side but it is still very drinkable. It is very malty tasting with about 0 hops taste. You get a little bitterness at the very end so you know there were a bit of hops in there somewhere. Overall it has a very smooth and easy going taste. There are no highlights except the hoppy ending. I could see this as a session beer especially if you caught it on sale for under 10 a sixer. If you are a hops lover you won't dig this beer unless you are looking for a change. The taste really grew on me when I cracked the second bottle and now at the beginning of my third for the evening...it goes down easy and I am not tired of it. Sometimes if I am trying something I like it but don't think I could drink more than 1 or 2 at a sitting or like to give them a rest for a while before I want another. Not really having that feeling with Censored.

Its not bad but it doesn't excel at anything. It is a very good average tasting craft brew.

I want to try this stuff aged in something. It would give it a little more character. I will be looking for censored oak aged (insert flavor) next time.

4.28/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Formally "the Kronik", this Amber Ale is poured from a 12oz. stub bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A - marketed as a "Rich Copper Ale", and there is truth in the marketing; penny red-orange, hardly any carbonation and a finger & 1/2 of fluffy cream head. Head retention is excellent with beautiful lacing all the way down.

S - rich caramel malts, toasted marshmallow, pine, and very light hops.

T - translates from the aroma well; not sharp at all; rich but not decadent.

M - smooth and creamy; very drinkable; a good session beer.

O - great beer, and one of my favorites of the style. A go-to during the week, and a great paring beer for many styles of cooking.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Deep amber. Even bronze-like. Thin off-white head. Not too much lacing.

S: Very bready and earthy. Mineraly. When cold, you smell the hops more, but as it warms, it brings out the more malty and earthy tones.

T: Less hops than I expected. Quite peaty at first and goes to the dark bready and malt flavors. Slighty abrasive, but in a good way.

M: Medium to light bodied. Light carbonation. Not too bad. Not to heavy on the stomach.

O: Not too bad. A decent offering from my favorite brewery. It's nice to know that they can make something that's not bombarded by hops. Personally, it strongly reminds me of a scotch ale because of the very earthy and peaty tones. For one of my first copper ales, I like it. Definitely recommended.

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle with hard to find bottled date (located around the borttom of the bottle in dark, tiny print), beer is 100 days old.

Nice appearance in glass, copper reddish color. Head has circles of hop oil once it settled down.

Smell is almost all of malt with a tiny touch of hops. Tastes nice, malty flavour turns into noble hops and finishes rather sweet from the malt. The hops come through nicely but not too strong.

Mouthfeel is good, nothing outstanding here. Drinkability, I could have a few or several of these...

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Very standard amber ale. Very nice copper color in the glass with a nice foamy white head. Lots of malt sweetness up front and just a hint of hop character to balance. Feels full bodied in the mouth with a lot of sweetness at the finish. Very easy to drink a few of these.

3.31/5  rDev -11%

Just as the title claims it to be, a copper ale that pours a thin dirty ivory head that sinks to moderate lacing.

The smell doesn't really deliver as expected to be for this style. I don't know if there's something wrong with my nose or the smell is really absent. From what I can detect, it smells of SLIGHT caramel maple-ish malt.

The taste is toasty sweet caramel syrup malt that slowly diminishes at the hops proceed the slight bitterness.

I have to admit that i have a slight sore throat, and I don't know if that's hindering my perspective on the mouthfeel of this fine ale, but it seems like the carbonation kicks up as it trickles down (no homo).

Being that American Amber Ales are one of my favorite styles, I feel biased to say that this beer is highly drinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -15.9%

This beer looked tasty in the glass. Great copper color with small off white head. I was surprised by the strong smell of hops as I expected a more subdued roasted smell. In flavor it really comes off as an IPA which I was not expecting. The alcohol comes out in the flavor more than I expected even in a beer the is almost 6%. It leaves a fantastic aftertaste that shows off the complexities and sweetness that are lost to the hops and alcohol during the actual drink. It goes down easy though almost like flat soda. Overall this taste like a nice easy IPA. But for myself I would choose something else even if I was looking for an IPA.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

O, Atlanta Brewing Company, now Red Brick, why do you and I have it so hard right now? You disappointed me this weekend, but, when I had your beer at Taco Mac, all was forgiven. The original Laughing Skull died right as I was starting to love beer; the last one I had had been sitting around and was oxidated and flat. However, as the new version came out, I decided it was my job as an Atlantan to give the beer a new taste. I was impressed. The malted sweetness in this beer is highlighted by the addition of roasted grain. This beer is possibly one of the most drinkable beers made in the city. The body is fairly medium and finishes with a good balance. If you can find this beer on tap, drink it. It turns over fast and really packs a refreshing punch.

www.dudeletter.com/?p=1000

2.97/5  rDev -20.2%

Look - Was poured into a tulip glass. It had very little head that disappeared quickly. It was a beautiful amber, with red hues.

Smell - There was not much going on for the smell.

Taste - It is sharp on the front. There are some caramel malt, and a hoppy bitterness that runs from start to finish. There is a light nutty flavor. It was a little out of balance.

Feel - It was pretty light.

Drinkability - It was a decent beer. The look was great, but went downhill from there. The bitterness and sweetness made this a little hard for me on the drinkability. I would not order again.

3.06/5  rDev -17.7%

meh, its so so. pretty bland

Poured very easily from the bottle; giving a copper strong ale color. Nice aroma. Thick, bubbly off white head. Great rich look. Caramel malt smell and full sweet dark sugar candy like flavor.

Mouthfeel thick and rich. Sweetness stays on the tongue.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

A Amber in color with little head white in color

S not much slight floral and malt

T Hops jumps right out at you at first then turns bready with some nice floral tones after taste bitter just hops.

M light average Red Ale

D average red ale

Tastes like an amber ale hopped up on hops. not too special but nice.

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fan of some other Lagunitas offerings so I figured I'd give this a try.

A: Pourse a deep red/copper color with little to no head and no lacing. Very low carbonation and somewhat cloudy.

S; First impression is of carmel with a faint hint of citrus. The aroma is not very pronounced, but a little sweet smelling

T: First taste that hits the palate is of carmel and sweet malts. As you continue to drink, a mild hop bitterness starts to show and remians only for a short while. There is little to no hop aftertaste, but some metallic undertones remain (hope its just from the bottle)

M: Little carbonation, smooth, perhaps a little watery

D: Easily drinkable as nothing overpowers. Beer that I could easily have 2 or 3 at and not be bothered by the flavors.

Not the best Lagunitas product. Not very complex and doesnt have the same hoppy kick as other strong ales I have had, quite mild and easily drinkable though. Possibly would buy again, but Id stick with the stronger hopped American strong ales.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

A - This beer pours a rich, clear copper with some orange tones visible when held up to the light. The once finger width, off-white head dissipates to a thinner version of its former self, leaving behind minimal lacing.

S - The smell is all malt, having a rich, dark, sweetness. There also seems to be a faint aroma similar to that resulting from the use of a Belgian yeast strain. I could pick this up more as the beer warmed a bit. There is little to no hop presence I can detect.

T - The initial taste is big, malty, luxurious even. This gives way to alcohol and a slight hop bitterness.

M - The mouthfeel is medium/full. This brew coats the tongue in a very pleasing way.

O - Overall, this is a solid brew. I very much enjoyed it and will purchase this again.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Drank 3 straight out of the bottle.

Smooth well put together "copper ale". Subtle hop presence and medium carbonation somewhat balance the malt sweetness. Very drinkable but with a decent kick at 6.7%.

1/1