Censored - Lagunitas Brewing Company

CensoredCensored

good

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.75% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2002)
3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

A: dark amber /copper color..1 finger of soapy head.. kinda clear body..

S: malt sweetness, nuttiness, slight toastiness.. caramel with a spicy hoppiness.. also some fruity esters..

T: sweet malts upfront.. toasty malts with a soft nuttiness.. slight toffee with an underlying fruity ester.. semi-spicy hop finish..

Mf: medium bodied with good carbonation ..smooth finish..

O: this beer grew on me after a few sips.. great change of pace from the usual lagunitas hop bombs..

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

This should be reclassified as an ALT beer. The style profile is SO much closer to one.

Make sure to pour it hard out of the bottle to minimize the carbonation.

The hops are a little much for a true altbier, but pretty darn close.

The maltiness and lack of esteriness really does it for me. I know its a bit out of style according to BJCP, but its a slightly large altbier.

Love it.

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a dark copper color with quite a bit of beige head on it.

Smell is mostly caramel malt.

Taste is largely malty and spicy upfront. A little bit of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is fairly light. This is a pretty smooth drinking beer that went down pretty quickly.

Overall a good quality beer. I enjoyed it quite a bit and wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint. This was bottle #2, as the first one I got at 99bottles had a problem. Flat, lots of floaters.... dumped that one.

A- Rich dark copper color with a 3 finger loose rocky head. Excellent head retention and great lacing. Well above average.

S- Not much nose, improves as it warms. Lots of malt, sweet biscuity and husky.As it warms further a nice spice note is detected.

T- Again, very heavy on the malt, but its smooth and not overpowering. No real hop notes, but it has a nice crispness to it and a light finish, thats actually fairly wet.

M- Average body, carbonation is spot on. Does not thin out on the tongue as it warms. Very sessionable.

O- Well done malty medium bodied ale. Might be the best overall amber I have had.

4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a deep amber with a nice white pillowy head a good lacing.
Biscuity malts and a light caramel on the nose
Crisp malts followed quickly by big biscuity malts. A faint black tea. Sweet, smooth, and delicious. Balanced, delicate.
Perfectly carbonated, smooth, and sexy.
This is a fantastic amber. Not my favorite style, but this beer is a stand out.

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Drank from a pint glass, poured from a bottle.

A: Copper, brownish, clear. Nice balanced head with a fair amount of lacing.

S: A little piney, with sweet hoppiness. Nutty and fresh. Balanced flavour with malt.

T: Nutty, bittersweet hops. Heavy delicious malt.

M: Very smooth, little alcohol taste. Great balanced aftertaste.

Hell of a beer, very good. Extremely refreshing experience, and I really enjoyed everything

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

'Censored' is thankfully not blocked out by any obtrusive black lines. All the loveliness of its coppery and clear amber body is granted full exposure and made quite lustrous by even an overcast afternoon sky. Head is present without being pompous. All Lagunitas beers are hotties, I wish they would publish their own calender, if you know what I mean!

The nose actually brings to mind a Belgian amber - quite a surprise for a brewery that spearheaded and continuously exemplifies West-coast American hop-bombs. It has a dry, semi-musty malty scent with hints of yeast, caramel and sulphates. A slight cognac-like air also registers, albeit with some weedy hoppiness in place of the alcohol complexities.

'Censored' calls itself a "rich copper ale" and, indeed, it tastes chalk full of rich caramelly amber malts. There's flavour of toffee sponge cake, laced with candied fruits, and a giant slice of cheesecake. It is sufficiently rich to make me suspect the French had a hand in its creation, especially as the aftertaste so strongly takes on a cheesecake-like taste and richness.

The beer has a very dry, almost biscuity character, that smacks of (on the dry end) communion wafers and (on the sweet end) honeycomb toffee; vinous, herbal hops, however, break through with an earthy element that disturbs the sweetness and adds candied citrus to the list of lingering flavours. The alcohol has been omitted where it counts.

Lagunitas is, as the kids might say, the bomb diggity. They make a whole bunch of beers, each every bit as characterful and simultaneously palatable as the other, that give a beer geek - no matter how picky or pliable - nothing to complain about. This particular offering of theirs is far from my favourite but, as I mentioned, is nonetheless an easily enjoyable tipple.

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

This a fine red amber ale,with a nice lil head on it that fades away.SMELL is sweetly caramel and refreshing,yes absolutely blissful.TASTE has a small hint some hops but what makes this a fine beer is that sweet caramel and lightly fruity taste. Mouthfeel has a slight aftertaste too it.OVERALL I really enjoyed this beer.I would definitely buy a six or twelve of this.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint. Bottled on Julian date 108 (April 18, 2011).

Appearance: Rich color that is more amber than copper. Thin off-white head with very minor lacing.

Smell: Caramel, sugar, bread and a very slight spiciness.

Taste: Nice malt backbone of caramel, toffee and brown sugar. Some dry spiciness and citrus hop bitterness creep in at the end providing great balance. That signature Lagunitas sticky-sweet citrus hop taste lingers a little.

Feel: Pretty smooth and creamy body with a fairly dry finish. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: Unique amber ale with great balance due to the pretty complex malts and that signature Lagunitas hop taste. Top tier amber ale overall.

A - Pours a nice solid amber with light red hues and a half inch of sticky white head.

S - The hops are there but glad to see a good amount of sweet caramel malts on the smell.

T - A very nice beer and it seemed a bit bigger than 5.9 I would have guessed 7 percent. Flavors of sticky sweet hops with a nice middle sweet toffee and caramel malt with a slightly hoppy finish.

M - Has a nice medium body. Drank rather quickly.

Overall what a great beer for a spring release. Not sure if people are finding older bottles since some reported no head, and I had a Maximus that had no head. Must have been over a year old that one. A solid brew fresh!

3.3/5  rDev -11.5%

(12oz bottle). Pours clear copper with off-white head. Some lacing and moderate carbonation. Aroma has some caramel, alcohol, maraschino cherry (?) and biscuit. Taste is bitter hops and a sweet, sticky maltiness. Medium bodied with sticky/slick texture. Bitter finish. This is not my favorite flavor profile, but it does have loads of flavor. Malt-heads should enjoy this quite a bit.

3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured into a shaker pint. Nice amber red color. No head. Slight lacing.

Aroma smells very grainy. Slight sweet malt.

Taste is similar but not as bad as aroma. Still grainy but a nice bit of malt.

Mouthfeel is ok. Nice carb.

Overall an ok beer. Probably wouldn't buy it again.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Poured into a small goblet (all I had, actually)- one-finger head, ruby-red colour. Very nice!

S: Not as pungent as expected- dry, hoppy, but nothing too unusual or unexpected.

T: Solid tasting- Starts off with a touch of sweetness, actually. Then the hops come into play- they are not overly bitter, but I do like the bite I get. It lingers well, but, again, nothing that really "speaks" to me as particularly unique.

M: A little thinner than I would have expected or liked, but can't complain.

O: Solid, drinkable everyday beer. This is actually the first Lagunitas I've had, and I think I'll return to the brewery.

TG

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

Bodega purchase late night.

A - Pale, ruby red.
S - Fruit and malt
T - Malty, vibrant and flat (to some degree).
M - Non-existent
O - A tasty, drinkable beer.

This is a beer that amateurs will enjoy, but for seasoned beer drinkers it will be a disappointment.

2.5/5  rDev -33%

Appearance - this was a very appealing beer from the bottle to the glass. It had a nice thickness and looked rich and full bodied.

Smell - I wasn't sure what to expect based on the name, but it did possess a ice aroma as the anticipation built!

Taste - I must say, "What a disappointment!" The flavor was not there, so I tried again. Still, the flavor lacked fullness and body and I could not find the expectations I had for this brew.

Mouthfeel - I was expecting a deep bodied, full flavored beer and was greatly disappointed.

Overall - Granted, I didn't know what to expect, but that's usually when I'm most excited by a new beer; this one did not deliver!

3.43/5  rDev -8%

A: A nice dark amber body with a small bubbly head. Very light lacing.

S: Not much in the nose. Some caramel sweetness balanced with some hops.

T: A nice sweet malt flavor followed by some bitter citrus hops.

M: Medium body; Moderate carbonation; Slick mouthfeel.

O: Very easy to drink. A nice flavor, but I personally didn't think it was anything amazing. Nice one by Lagunitas, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick more up. Would drink it again though. Nice take on the style.

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%

Always been intrigued by the label on this one (can't call things "Kronik" any longer?), but it only seemed to be in six-packs when i saw it, so picked up a single for reviewing purposes when I could.

Pours a coppery orange colour, burnished and clear, with a crackly head of white, that subsides rather quickly to little more than a film of white. Decently heavy body for a beer of relatively low gravity, some lacing when tilted. Looks pretty good.

Nose is light but slightly malty. Some brew-day sweetness noticeable, with just a hint of cracked grain. Minimal hops presence. Slight meatiness to it. It feels all quite rudimentary and rustic. Not bad, but not particularly inspiring.

Taste is similar. Sweetness on the palate with a hint of grainy bite on the back with a whack of carbonic acidity. Again, there's nary a whiff of the hops, and while the grain character is pleasant enough, it just doesn't do enough to make me want to drink more than a few sips.

Not a bad brew, just a relatively uninspiring one. Drinkable enough in its way, but lacking a lot of interest. I could drink it, but can I be bothered?

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date: poured a clear, red with orange highlights. The foamy off-white head quickly receded leaving very little lacing.

There was a rich and spicy aroma of malt with some lingering hop coming through.

I have come to really enjoy these amber style ales - you never know what you are going to experience. Sometimes, they are malt-accented or dryish and hoppy with a subtle malt profile. This one emphasizes the malt, but ever so refreshingly and balanced. There is a slight syrupy flavor that somehow always maintains a freshing and drinkable flavor. There is a pleasant hop bitterness coming through at the end.

This one is medium bodied with a slightly thick mouthfeel. The zesty carbonation complements this malt-accented ale.

This is an extremely drinkable amber. It is tempting to do what the ale's label states, "Life is uncertain. Don't Sip." It is ashame this is not available locally.

4.4/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a crisp clear orange copper with 1 finger of fluffy tan head which dissipates to leave a thin lacing.

S - Sweat and malty, but I also get a bit of a yeasty aroma, almost like a belgian yeast, though I know this is not the case, it just seems to smell a bit like that with the sweet toasty malt.

T - Starts with sweet fruity malt and finishes with a nice hops taste. This is a perfectly balanced beer in my opinion.

M - crisp and clean with a nice medium/light body.

O - I love this beer, I bought it with low expectations (not sure why, maybe I thought the "censored" label was a cheesy look, trying to be controversial) but this beer is fantastic and I think it could become a regular staple of mine as it is a very drinkable beer as well.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

A: Deep copper/red, good clarity with a brief white head.

S: Caramel malt smell with some bitter notes.

T: Similar to aroma. Caramel malt body, with light citrus hops.

M: Medium body and level of carbonation.

O: Average. Would drink this if given but likely not seek it out.

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance:
Copper color, clear. Some carbonation. Soapy head, disappear quicky.

Aroma:
Very light aroma… but I’m getting sweet malts and some citrus hops.

Taste:
Sweet malts up front with bitterness at the end. Malt character is rich, I’m getting caramel-toffee, sweet toast, biscuity. Hop is about medium, spicy, slight citrusy. I’m getting a little fruitiness from the yeast, peach-orange. Medium bodied, carbonation is sharp.

Finish:
Very dry aftertaste. Fairly smooth.

Overall:
Pretty good Amber Ale. I love the malt character, but the aftertaste is way too dry.

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

An interesting beer from one of my favorite breweries...all over the map as far as the rating parameters go.

Looks very nice in my pint glass...reddish/brown hue, decent head that faded quickly...leaves spotty lacing throughout.

The smell is totally unlike anything I've had from Lagunitas...very adjunct lager-like...maybe a small hint of cinnamon, some faint sweetness; but still, better than your typical amber.

Taste, thankfully, is a bit richer than ajunct lager, has a light lingering sweetness...quite easy to drink I must say. Moderate carbonation, goes down quite easy. A nice summer brew.

Overall, this one did not quite do it for me. Certainly not a bad beer, but probably not one I'll go out of my way to purchase.

3.43/5  rDev -8%

Bottle of Censored Rich Copper Ale AKA The Kronik Poured into a Pilsner although I would probably drink this one straight out of the bottle as there isn't much going on in the smell department.

OG 1.065 IBO 25

Censored as the name says is a rich crystal clear copper colored brew. An off white fluffy tannish orange head forms well and lasts a little while with pretty good lacing. It doesnt stick around all that long.

My overall impression is a touch on the boring side but it is still very drinkable. It is very malty tasting with about 0 hops taste. You get a little bitterness at the very end so you know there were a bit of hops in there somewhere. Overall it has a very smooth and easy going taste. There are no highlights except the hoppy ending. I could see this as a session beer especially if you caught it on sale for under 10 a sixer. If you are a hops lover you won't dig this beer unless you are looking for a change. The taste really grew on me when I cracked the second bottle and now at the beginning of my third for the evening...it goes down easy and I am not tired of it. Sometimes if I am trying something I like it but don't think I could drink more than 1 or 2 at a sitting or like to give them a rest for a while before I want another. Not really having that feeling with Censored.

Its not bad but it doesn't excel at anything. It is a very good average tasting craft brew.

I want to try this stuff aged in something. It would give it a little more character. I will be looking for censored oak aged (insert flavor) next time.

3.4/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled this from a regular 12 oz bottle, chilled in the fridge.

A: Pours a reddish amber color, not cloudy. Some head but not much. Moderate cling on the glass.

S: Smells like a beer. Wet dry hay and lime rind on the nose.

T: More subtle flavor depth on this Lagunitas. It's not as sweet as others that Lagunitas produces (WTF and Brown Shugga) but it does have some malt sweet aftertaste. Citrus rind on the hops.

M: Drinks easily, moderate carbonation. Dry finish.

O: Not bad. Not my favorite beer Lagunitas produces, though.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

The Kronik? I didn't get high, but it is a good beer. I respect these guys for giving me a laugh while I read the label.

This beer pours normal, looks normal like a red beer. Smells very malty, rich and sweet. Tastes very malty and sweet with some less than medium bitterness and hoppiness. If you like malt flavors, then this is for you. Very rich would be good after dinner with some cheese. This beer is a bit too sweet for me, but it's a good change of gears.

Censored from Lagunitas Brewing Company