Lagunitas Sneak Release Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Sneak Release Undercover Investigation Shut-Down AleLagunitas Sneak Release Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: jdoncbus on 07-21-2007)

radlleb, Mar 04, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

maxwallace, Jul 03, 2013
2.55/5  rDev -38.1%

Pours a gorgeous rich mahagony color, with some nice lasting white head. Smell is pretty nice and hoppy with a slight touch of malt perhaps and a bit of noticeable alcohol present especially as it warms some. Moderately bittered for the style, and is nicely hopped, but the noticeable alcohol taste rather, is what caused me to not like it too much. Finish is mild lasting bitterness and chest warming alcohol. I don't like tasting the alcohol in my beer this much.

JDV, Feb 06, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -33.7%

This is the "SNEAK RELEASE" not the "12th Anniversary" edition. Wouldn't put this in the IPA or IIPA genera; I'd like it in the Strong Ale category. Yes it is a hoppy beer, but the spice profile in the malts give this a big big boost. Not as good as Mendicino's Eye of the Hawk, but better than Stone's Arrogant Bastard. A bit chalky on the palate. Nice buzz though. Good, but I wouldn't rave about it...

TechMyst, Sep 05, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

VanKieft, Mar 23, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a clear brownish copper topped by a thin off white head. Minimal lacing.

The aroma is bright citrus hops, slightly grassy with a hint of sulphur. Caramel malt comes out little by little.

The taste is lighter than you'd expect, with a sweetness followed by an oddly grassy bitterness in the finish. Piney. But mostly grassy. Some of the sulphur is in the taste too. A bit of alcohol heat in the back of the throat. Not really much going on but light sweet caramel washed away by a leafy bitterness.

The body is also lighter that you'd expect for something so bitter with noticeable malt, but it's very light with low carbonation.

Overall this wasn't great. Too grassy and unbalanced and slightly harsh. A rare disappointment from Lagunitas for me.

MeisterBurger, May 14, 2010

Brew_Bro, Mar 17, 2014

myuncle, Jan 24, 2014

TimH, May 19, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a dark crimson red with orange highlights. Three fingers worth of white creamy head.

Complex nose. Caramel, dried fruit, a malts.

Taste is of slightly roasted malts with caramel and some floral undertones. Some spices and vanilla are also there.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick. Some chewyness going on. Medium carbonation. Sweet and finishes with some bitterness.

This is pretty much one or two and done. It's kind of oily and coats the tongue.

BigMike, Apr 14, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -22.3%

I had this tonight on tap at my local establishment. Appeared dark in color. The aroma was not over powering or memorable. Had a deep taste, one that I will not forget. It tasted to me like this was brewed with red apple peels. However, it did not taste like a cider beer. Overall, I was happy to try it. But there are a hundred other beers I would rather drink. Glad I tried it, but not for me necessarily.

DangQuesadilla, Jun 03, 2011

Aimo, Sep 05, 2013

Rons35, Mar 20, 2014

jewellrunner, Apr 13, 2014

bmjivi221, Jul 31, 2013

SoCaliC8, Jan 17, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

bottle to pint.

A: Cloudy, red brown. 1/4 inch head with lacing.

S: hops and oak.

T: IPA but sweet over powers bitterness. Citrus. Pears.

M: Smooth fruits, then hops and bitter on the exhale but overall slightly watery.

D: Hoppy but with the water. Sweet and not as bitter. I look for more of a punch in my IIPA but this one I could drink more of because of it's watery nature. Still I prefer a heavier IIPA.

biophiliadude, Nov 17, 2009
3.34/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Was very disappointed with this. Big fan of sucks, sumpin sumpin, hop stoopid, and ipa. Initially I was very excited when I saw it was another iipa from lagunitas. Looked great, but smell was quite boozy to me and a little off-putting, taste at first was decent but left a boozy, malty and strange after taste. Really wanted to like this beer as I really am a fan of lagunitas, but I wish I went with my gut and just got a single bottle of this instead I'd the sixer I bought. Overall I didn't find this beer to be very hoppy at all and I personally would t really consider it to be a iipa, but what do I know?!

RollTide7, Apr 04, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - this DIPA pours a coppery brown body, with a thin creamy/filmy white head with moderate carbonation

S - malty, more than expected, some crystallized brown sugar, some alcohol, and a background pineyness, did not check this out on BA before tasting it, did not realize this was a DIPA, thought it was a Amer. Red Ale

T - taste like a highly hopped barleywine without the thick mouthfeel and raisin flavors, nice but nondescript

M&D - now that i see this is a DIPA, it makes a bit more sense, rather nice and easy to drink, a bit harsh at first, but finishes nicely

sinstaineddemon, Jan 23, 2008
Lagunitas Sneak Release Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company