We're Only In It For The Money - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Tripel |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 07-10-2008

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured into a tulip from a long lost bottle found at a "brew" store. Happy to have since we were fortunate to have had a couple bottle of Reuben & the Jets in the past year couldn't pass this puppy up.

Nice caramel beverage with thin to almost no head. Lacing does not exist.

The smell of fruit grabbed me. Apples, apricot, raisiny scents. Bready malt smell made this a beaut to breathe.

Taste is excellent for a 4 year old tripel. The fruity booze works.

Very low carbonation almost flat though that does not take away from it's great flavor.

Overall totally not disappointed with this beer. Happy to have stolen it from its owner. Only paid $4.99 for it. BOOM!!!! (670 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a hazy orange gold color with bubbles racing up the middle with a small white head that faded quickly, leaving very minimal lacing.

Smells of sweet malt, yeast, pear or apple, alcohol like rum or bourbon, syrup, caramel, brown sugar, biscuit, grains, wet bread and spices; nose was basically sweet, malty and boozy.

Tastes of sweet malt, yeast, alcohol like rum or bourbon, syrup, caramel, brown sugar, biscuit, grains, wet bread, sour apple, pear, dark fruit and spices like coriander, pepper and cinnamon; like the nose, the overall taste is sweet, malty and boozy (a nice boozy flavor).

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with very mild carbonation, a heavy chewy body and a tart, sweet finish that's funky with a semi-dry yeast taste in the finish.

Very tasty and complex, it was a nice slow sipper with plenty of flavor that hid the ABV very well. Had a bottle of this brew years ago and just saw another bottle at the same distributor where I had picked up the first bottle; this aged well and was quite enjoyable on both occasions. (1,049 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

22 ounce bottle into chalice, I hope this has held up over 4 years. Pours slightly cloudy golden orange color with a small 1 finger dense off white head with good retention that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Some decent spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of big grape, orange, pear, apricot, biscuit, candi sugar, clove, honey, and yeast spices. Some fairly nice aromas, with good balance and complexity. Taste of orange, apricot, pear, grape, honey, biscuit, pepper, clove, candi sugar, toasted grain, and yeast spices. Lingering notes of grape, pear, apricot, pepper, candi sugar, and biscuit on the finish for a good bit. Good flavor balance and decent complexity. Much more sweetness than spiciness; but is minimally cloying. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a fairly creamy and slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming after the finish present. Overall this is a nice and enjoyable Tripel. Good complexity and balance; and quite smooth to sip on. (1,003 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -4.8%

Found this Zappa tribute in the back of a cooler, hanging out by its lonesome. Picked it up and out poured an orange gold with bits of floating sediment with a thin line of basically no head.
Smells oddly and crisply of apple cider and faint prunes touched with some honey.
Sweet honey wine, mead, if you will, and caramelized white grape show up in the taste.
Notes of standard carbonation with a syrupy backbone creates a decent, but nicely drinkable, brew after four years. (476 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

A good Belgian-style trippel, with strong apple tastes and equally strong bitter, sour spices. The alcohol isn't as well-masked as I would like, leaving a wood-grain aftertaste that lingers for quite a while. Somewhere deep beneath lies a runnel of roasted grains, but you might have to search a while to find it. But at 8.2%, I somehow doubt you'll care. (355 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy dark orange color with a tiny 1/2 inch light orange head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Small random spots of lacing on the glass on the drink down. Smells of oranges, honey, grape juice, and some grains. Taste is of grape juice, honey, grains, and slight yeast. There is a medicinal quality of bitterness on the palate after each sip. Overall, the flavors seem a bit off. Mouthfeel has good carbonation and is crisp and clean. Overall, this is an above average American take on a tripel but nothing too great. (537 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz bottle into oversized wine glass

Little to no head. at most, I got half of a fingernail's worth.
The color, however, is golden, bronze-ish. Dense coloration.

A swirl and unlocked is the scent of honey, full on. Followed by vanilla, oak wood, some white grape/pear, and alcohol that, proceeding those aromas, smells metallic; you know how metal smells, like cold metal? It's interesting.

This is very sweet tasting. It tastes more like a barleywine than a tripel. Very honied, sugary, and a bit of caramel. There's a small, very small, amount of smoke or burnt flavor on the very end with a light alcohol tinge in the aftertaste reminiscent of many in this style, but there is a metallic flavor that sneaks in at the end of the aftertaste that i can't shake.

It's a bit thin for something that smells and tastes like it does; that is, I'd expect more of a coating or residue left in the mouth from something that has such characteristics. It does, however, has a lot of pop in the carbonation area. A good bubbly.

I can take this bottle down well, which is where the similarities to a barleywine end. I wouldn't say more than two glasses would be ok, but it has enough thinness and carbonation to be refreshing enough to down the serving size. The multiple sugar flavors, however, make this a bit full; not chewy though.

This is nice. Lagunitas continues to rock the S with their strong minded and flavored ales. If you enjoy their wares for strength in flavor, "kick," and style-blending, this'll be interesting, too. (1,530 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

wow i found this beer hiding on the shelf of a less frequented store

pours hazy with lots of sediment amber copper orange with a 2 finger head that left lots of lacing

smells of over ripe bananas and booze

taste is a little sugary with sweet malts - banana booze and belgian yeast

mouthfeel is medium and so sweet it hurts my teeth - low carb with a smooth finish

drinkability is ok - enjoyed every sip but again this was the last bottle i was ever going to find (468 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

This fantastic beer was the third one reviewed in my Blind Bombers series. Thank you so much Neorunner for everything up til now!

Vision
What a fantastic hat! Holy hell. I'd trade a kidney for the ability to wear a cap like this brew. Multiple bubble shapes ranging from snot to shaving cream to soda pop. All pure, unadulterated white. Creamy! The remaining collar is a bit unusual leading me to believe one side of my glass is tainted with some type of detergent. It has a point of capillary thinness rising to vein thickness.

The vital fluid is a dark amber color. It almost borders copper. Few streams of carbon dioxide are visible when held up to my front room lamp.

Bouquet
Very faint. This is an extreme effort to pull out the interesting notes. The life blood breathes a hint of fruit. Some type of sweetness that borders the more tart fruits, but nothing distinct. There is no malt or grain presence at all, minus an intermittent faint caramel. I want some hops. I want something else, but all I get is this dry ( really dry at times ) fruit ester mixture.

Flavor Profile
An explosion compared to the void that is the nose. The fruity esters now prove to actually be faint apples. There is a distinct order of procession much like the circulatory system. We have an explosion of tastes pressing against my tongue screaming apples dipped into ethanol! It quickly slows down as the liquid spreads across my tongue in diminishing pressure leading to the malt backbone.

This drags asses as it coalesces back into the finish which is mainly alcoholic without being overwhelming. This is one of those few times that I find a highly alcoholic ( assuming ) beer to be quite enjoyable. The alcohol actually plays a part as a flavor, who would have thought that could happen!

Oral Sensations
Ooo, what a chewy beer. This comes through as a minorly carbonated, chewy beer. For being full of body, the finish leaves only a minor residue of deliciousness around. My lips, my tongue, my palate, and my... oh everywhere! Its thin and very faint when I lick it up, but always welcomed. If I had to describe that, I'd put it somewhere between apple tootsie rolls and cotton candy.

Conclusions
This beer is definitely drinkable. I finished this bomber quite easily by myself, but unfortunately I can't drink anything else tonight! I enjoyed the flavors, I loved the mouthfeel, and I can't get enough of the alcohol for once. If I had to guess style I'd put it somewhere around the Barleywine category. Sweet, alcoholic, faintly malty and little hop presence for this particular one. (2,585 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%

Transparent pale orange in body with white head. Smells of booze, hop resin, some citrus, and kiwi. Flavors of booze, hop resin, light fruit towards the finish, kiwi, vague strawberry aftertaste. Light in body with light carbonation. A boozy concoction of light fruit concentrate that could make a hummingbird drop dead. An unbalanced, only slightly enjoyable drink. (366 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

Appears a deep honey golden hue with a nice sized white head, fine even lacing surrounds the chalice with each sip. Samm specks of yeast are suspended in the bright white foam. Aroma has tropcial fruit esters a nice bready pale malt backing with sweet honey drizzled on buttered toast., spicy yeast note arise with some banana/clove spiciness. Flavor is a bit one dimensional sugar coated spices weigh heavy in the first few sips, with a mix of honey glazed over ripened tropical fruits including banan/pineapple/and a touch of mango. Alcohol burns in the back end but doesn't ruin the experience for me. Mouthfee is medium bodied with a way different carbonation than your average Belgian tripel makes this a bit cloying with residual sugars I realy haven't had many well attenuated American brewed triples. Again warming alcohol and spice balance out the sweetness of the malts and belgian candi sugar. Drinkability was solid not the best or most dead on version of the style, but I felt the creativity and flavors especially those tropical fruits made this a worth while experience. (1,085 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a light amber color with abundant yellow highlights. Very thin white head.

Very faint aroma. Solid notes of malt and fruit, with a bit of a light floral smell.

Taste is bittersweet. Initial taste is fruity, primarily citrus, with a nice flavor of malt. Follow up is a bit hoppy, with notes of coriander.

Light body, with good carbonation. Feels surprisingly thin.

Smooth and light. Goes down easy, but not something I would drink more than one of, if only because it's not particularly spectacular. (510 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle. I know this isn't exactly fresh, so hopefully it will have aged well. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a hazy orange/amber color with pretty much no head at all. There is a small amount of lacing. Aroma is sweet and fruity, the brew smells like apples, Belgian yeast, bananas, bready malt, and candi sugar. Taste is similar to the aroma, with a little bit of hoppiness and alcohol noticable in the finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is decent, it's not hard to drink at all. Not a bad tripel, but it's not a great one either. (583 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -18%

"This falls within that spectrum of not so pale, pale ale, or not so dark, dark ale. Heavyweight's Lunacy, Unibroue's Maudite, etc and so forth....
Not my favorite style... or interpretation of styles.
Reminds me of apple juice all in appearance and taste; slightly champagney in mouthfeel and smell which is enjoyable.
This is pretty good for what it is but it is a bit difficult for me to be objective with this kind of flavor profile."

I wrote this review about Pranqster almost four years ago and just about all of that applies to this beer for me. Though from Lagunitas I was hoping for and expecting something more exciting, or if anything, hoppy-er.
Not for me. (669 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Just a good solid Tripel. An sizable off white head sits atop a faintly cloudy, honeyed amber brew with decent glass decoration and a light covering after a gentle fade. Smell is toasted malts and a nice dollop of clover honey. Light hop florals cut through with a touch of sweet pine. A faint sweet alcohol wafts through. Taste follows the nose with a nice white pepper and faint herbal facet. Finish is very clean with more pepper and spice and a touch of nutmeg and cinnamon. French bread lingers with a nice pine hop flavor and dry oiliness. More spices. Alcohol is well integrated and while noticeable it does not speak loudly. Feel is full and slightly slick with a good carbonation to break it up and keep it flowing. Quite drinkable for the abv. Smooth and flavorful with a seductive texture. It is starting to take on sharper qualities with age and add new compexities. Not necessarily a bad thing, just becoming a dryer drinking experience than when young. If you like Chimay White pick up a couple of bottles. While not the same beer or on the same level it's on sale and it evokes the dryness and complexities of that benchmark brew. (1,145 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a clear golden orange color with a very thin fizzy bubbly white head that immediately disappears leaving no lacing behind.

Crisp fruity Belgian yeast aroma with hints of sweet cherry, apple and strawberry as well some alcohol presence.

Nicely balanced medium body with a lot of sweet fruity Belgian yeast notes, spice, candy sugar, hops and subtle malt backbone. Hints of apple, cherry, strawberry, plum and blueberry. Although the fruit presence is strong and there is a good bit of candy sugar, it isn't too sweet with a nice amount of alcohol heat, subtle malt and dry hops balancing things out. (606 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +4%

A - Hazy golden brew with high carbonation, big head and lots of billowy lacing. Some small white globs are floating in the beverage.

S - A little sweet smell, bananas, wild grasses, white pepper and malt.

T - Only slightly sweet with some apples, hay, bananas, coriander with a touch of cinnamon and cloves. Aftertaste is a light bitterness, slightly medicinal, and a bit of sweetness. A nice finish.

M - Smooth, thick, very refreshing.

D - It is nice! I had no difficulty finishing the bomber. It is a nice brew - strong, but good. The sheer power of it detracts from the drinkability. (593 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

I sort of forgot that this was a Tripel, I thought I was buying a Double IPA or Stout, oh well, still good to support a craft brewery. Cool Sgt. Pepper type labeling on this bomber. Decanted in to a Duvel glass, color is hazy amber, with some small bits of yeast floating around. Heading is decent, with about a fingers worth. Very sweet nose up front, I get lots of honey and candied fruit from this. Same thing goes with the taste, but with some dryness in the finish. It also gets a bit cloying at times with all of the sweetness. Mouthfeel is on the medium side. Drinkability is decent at best. Although I finished off the bottle, this will most definitely be the last time I buy this beer. Overall this is one of Lagunitas' more unimpressive offerings. Fans of Tripel may enjoy it, but for me it feel a few strokes below par. Cheers (837 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +8.6%

Ok, sad story with this beer. I've been a big fan of Lagunitas since i tried the IPA when I took a trip out to CA a couple years ago. I started trying all their styles. Then one day (Hair of the Dog Brunch party for volunteers at ACBF) I was at Publik House Provisions and saw this in the fridge, the last bottle, and I was excited to try it. I purchased it and the guy put it in the paper bag with a few other beers. My car was parked a ways down the street so I started my journey back. Since the bottle was wet and it was a hot day, the condensation started to corrode the bag, but I didn't realize it until the cheap crappy paper bag ripped and I felt the bottle slide between my arms and smash on the pavement. It made a huge explosive sound and almost gave some woman a heart attack. I just stood there in shock. Then one day, I was searching KJ Baarons in Worcester and low and behold they had it! Hah-zah! Now after that long story, I'm thirsty, so here's the review.

A: Pouring into my Allagash tulip glass reveals an airy and stringent 1 finger head with big bubbles popping faster than a 3 year old popping his soap bubbles. It leaves a light airy head that resembles a homebrew kegged for 2 days, or a semi flat growler. The bright golden orange color lets tons of light shine through so it can bounce off the crazy sediment and haze, reminding you that it IS a tripel.

N: From the pour, the delicious malt and fruit aromas billowed out the sides and filled the room with floral awesomeness. Going in for a closer nose I get a heavy red malt aroma with lots of sweet fruits, like raisins sauteed in brown sugar and caramel malts. Another red like fruit seems to come out but I can't figure out what I'm thinking of, perhaps similar to peach but not quite. I get a little alcohol sweetness, some light spice and citrus, and a little yeast. I also get some nice Belgian like malt aromas. This is an awesomely delicious nose.

T: Finally, after all that talk, a taste. It's semi bitter but sweet at the same time. Quite a bit of rich fruit and alcohol. Quite a bit of malts, including some Belgian malts and crystal perhaps. Some bitter earthy malt quality also hints its way through. A big Belgian yeast flavor that lets you know it sure is a tripel, some nice citrus and light orange peel, and very light spice. A slight juicy quality, like a mango orange juice or something. Hmmm, mango, I think I get some light tropical fruit qualities. The alcohol starts to build and becomes a little too heavy with alcoholic phenols on the taste and the warmth, although it fits well for winter. I also get a slight vanilla taste and lots more raisin sauteed in brown sugar.

M: Semi thick and syrupy, slight alcohol burn but quite a bit of warmth, slight carbonation.

F: Finishes drier, but still has a slight sweet flavor. More bitterness starts to come through, not sure if its from some extra hops or from the Belgian yeast and spices added. Finish is not too long either and it seems to dry out quickly once the liquid and alcohol evaporate. I can't even really taste much of it anymore as it finishes very clean. Strange, but it finishes clean at first, but at the end, with the dark fruits, sticky sweetness, and strange Belgian flavors, I get the leftover flavor in my mouth of skittles, like shoving all of them into your mouth at once when you're a kid. How weird!

Final thoughts: A pretty nice Tripel, not the best, but definitely worthy. Quite a few great flavors blended together, and rounded off well, the only taste that starts to become a little overbearing is the alcohol, which starts to overpower on the taste and warmth, which also makes it strange for the fact that the carbonation is pretty small, especially with all the sediment floating in it. Perhaps the screw top?! Is this proof that aging with a screw top = FFFUUU!!! I should call up Frank Zappa to come enjoy this with me... what? he is?!! Since when? 1993??? Where the hell have I been? (3,974 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -32%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a slightly cloudy orangey color ale with a small foamy head with OK carbonation and minimal retention. Aroma of sweet notes is somewhat overpowering. Taste is a syrupy-like sweet malt base with no fruiter ester and noticeable yeast notes that usually accompany this style. Body has a syrup like texture with average carbonation but alcohol is well hidden. Not very good for the style, this brewery should stick to hops-centric beer IMHO - Nice packaging thought. (477 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Color is rusty orange, evenly cloudy, with a small tightly formed orange tinted-cream colored head. Though not much head overall, the 1/8" of retention has a good dense oily appearance. Aroma is appropriately Belgian but pretty basic at the same time. Nothing offensive...good basic aromas. The taste matches well though this could have more depth. Nice mild carbonation, smooth mouthfeel, and easy to consume. Overall not bad. (427 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a foamy head that scatters a decent amount of lace around

Smell: Big aroma of candi sugar, bubblegum, coriander and alcohol; an unusual herbal element is also present

Taste: Grainy, with sweet candi sugar and bubblegum, up front, but by mid-palate, a bitter medicinal flavor appears - acetone, perhaps; after the swallow, the bubblegum and coriander flavors join with a citrusy hop element to add a new dimension, but the finish has an acetone element that is off-putting

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This beer just doesn't come together for me and adds one more count to the relatively long list of failed attempts by domestic craft brewers to brew in the Belgian style; for some reason, the tripel is where most of them flounder (810 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottle from BevMo. Underrated tripel.

A - Nice hazy golden appearance, white head.

S - Sweet, yeasty, fruity aroma.

T - Belgian yeast, light fruits, phenols, and sugar. More hop bitterness on the finish than many of the Belgian tripels.

M - Mouthfeel is a little watery for a tripel, but seriously, screw mouthfeel sometimes. This is still pretty good.

D - High for the style, and the watery mouthfeel actually redeems itself a bit in this category. (454 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle. Spilt with the girlfriend's Dad. Thank God he likes good beer.

A- Pours a nice hazy light copper/orange body. Tons of yeat sediment in the pour I got. Nice 2 finger off white head that died down several minutes later. Great lacing on the sides of the glass the entire beer. Overall this is a fantastic looking beer the only down side to it is all the yeast floating in the beer.

S- Some sweeter smelling fruit in this beer (pear I think, light tropical fruit). Big Belgian yeast smell in this with the yeast that they used. Some clove and a hint of banana that goes along with the clove perfectly. There is a distint alcohol aroma to this that isn't too overbearing but let's you know it is there.

T- Nice bubblegum like taste to this beer right off the get go. Good taste of the Belgian yeast comes through right before a good clove and simple light fuit taste come crashing through on the palate. the alcohol that I smelled earlier comes through a little more in the taste but does not affect the overall quality of the taste.

M- Nice medium mouthfeel to this beer. Carbonation levels on this beer were a little more than what I expected. Almost a tad to much which I left a half point off for. Helps rush the beer across the palate but it really needed a little bit less to complement the style. Left a nice clove and yeasty taste on the palate which I enjoyed a lot.

D- This beer was a good sipper. I think if I didn't have as much yeast in it I would have enjoyed it better. Overall not a bad beer but I would pick something else in the style if I wasnted to drink in the style again. (1,626 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

20 oz bomber poured into a Koningshoeven chalice.

medium rosy-golden amber brew with soft head receding to a ring, some lacing. Aroma immediately says Belgian tripel, which is nice--caramel, bubble gum, some apricot and banana. Highly carbonated which keeps this strong fairly sweet brew dancing on the palate. The flavor is not quite classic tripel, but nevertheless quite an intriguing amalgam of Belgian aspects with an underlying bitter hoppy finish that is very American. Fruity sweetness, cake, bubble gum up front, then a hoppy twang in a long finish. Quite enjoyable. (576 characters)

We're Only In It For The Money from Lagunitas Brewing Company