We're Only In It For The Money - Lagunitas Brewing Company

We're Only In It For The MoneyWe're Only In It For The Money

good

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Tripel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 07-10-2008)
mrasskicktastic

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Hazy golden brew with high carbonation, big head and lots of billowy lacing. Some small white globs are floating in the beverage.

S - A little sweet smell, bananas, wild grasses, white pepper and malt.

T - Only slightly sweet with some apples, hay, bananas, coriander with a touch of cinnamon and cloves. Aftertaste is a light bitterness, slightly medicinal, and a bit of sweetness. A nice finish.

M - Smooth, thick, very refreshing.

D - It is nice! I had no difficulty finishing the bomber. It is a nice brew - strong, but good. The sheer power of it detracts from the drinkability.

11-10-2009 07:38:25 | More by mrasskicktastic
jamie2dope

I sort of forgot that this was a Tripel, I thought I was buying a Double IPA or Stout, oh well, still good to support a craft brewery. Cool Sgt. Pepper type labeling on this bomber. Decanted in to a Duvel glass, color is hazy amber, with some small bits of yeast floating around. Heading is decent, with about a fingers worth. Very sweet nose up front, I get lots of honey and candied fruit from this. Same thing goes with the taste, but with some dryness in the finish. It also gets a bit cloying at times with all of the sweetness. Mouthfeel is on the medium side. Drinkability is decent at best. Although I finished off the bottle, this will most definitely be the last time I buy this beer. Overall this is one of Lagunitas' more unimpressive offerings. Fans of Tripel may enjoy it, but for me it feel a few strokes below par. Cheers

11-10-2009 00:55:13 | More by jamie2dope
jlindros

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Ok, sad story with this beer. I've been a big fan of Lagunitas since i tried the IPA when I took a trip out to CA a couple years ago. I started trying all their styles. Then one day (Hair of the Dog Brunch party for volunteers at ACBF) I was at Publik House Provisions and saw this in the fridge, the last bottle, and I was excited to try it. I purchased it and the guy put it in the paper bag with a few other beers. My car was parked a ways down the street so I started my journey back. Since the bottle was wet and it was a hot day, the condensation started to corrode the bag, but I didn't realize it until the cheap crappy paper bag ripped and I felt the bottle slide between my arms and smash on the pavement. It made a huge explosive sound and almost gave some woman a heart attack. I just stood there in shock. Then one day, I was searching KJ Baarons in Worcester and low and behold they had it! Hah-zah! Now after that long story, I'm thirsty, so here's the review.

A: Pouring into my Allagash tulip glass reveals an airy and stringent 1 finger head with big bubbles popping faster than a 3 year old popping his soap bubbles. It leaves a light airy head that resembles a homebrew kegged for 2 days, or a semi flat growler. The bright golden orange color lets tons of light shine through so it can bounce off the crazy sediment and haze, reminding you that it IS a tripel.

N: From the pour, the delicious malt and fruit aromas billowed out the sides and filled the room with floral awesomeness. Going in for a closer nose I get a heavy red malt aroma with lots of sweet fruits, like raisins sauteed in brown sugar and caramel malts. Another red like fruit seems to come out but I can't figure out what I'm thinking of, perhaps similar to peach but not quite. I get a little alcohol sweetness, some light spice and citrus, and a little yeast. I also get some nice Belgian like malt aromas. This is an awesomely delicious nose.

T: Finally, after all that talk, a taste. It's semi bitter but sweet at the same time. Quite a bit of rich fruit and alcohol. Quite a bit of malts, including some Belgian malts and crystal perhaps. Some bitter earthy malt quality also hints its way through. A big Belgian yeast flavor that lets you know it sure is a tripel, some nice citrus and light orange peel, and very light spice. A slight juicy quality, like a mango orange juice or something. Hmmm, mango, I think I get some light tropical fruit qualities. The alcohol starts to build and becomes a little too heavy with alcoholic phenols on the taste and the warmth, although it fits well for winter. I also get a slight vanilla taste and lots more raisin sauteed in brown sugar.

M: Semi thick and syrupy, slight alcohol burn but quite a bit of warmth, slight carbonation.

F: Finishes drier, but still has a slight sweet flavor. More bitterness starts to come through, not sure if its from some extra hops or from the Belgian yeast and spices added. Finish is not too long either and it seems to dry out quickly once the liquid and alcohol evaporate. I can't even really taste much of it anymore as it finishes very clean. Strange, but it finishes clean at first, but at the end, with the dark fruits, sticky sweetness, and strange Belgian flavors, I get the leftover flavor in my mouth of skittles, like shoving all of them into your mouth at once when you're a kid. How weird!

Final thoughts: A pretty nice Tripel, not the best, but definitely worthy. Quite a few great flavors blended together, and rounded off well, the only taste that starts to become a little overbearing is the alcohol, which starts to overpower on the taste and warmth, which also makes it strange for the fact that the carbonation is pretty small, especially with all the sediment floating in it. Perhaps the screw top?! Is this proof that aging with a screw top = FFFUUU!!! I should call up Frank Zappa to come enjoy this with me... what? he is?!! Since when? 1993??? Where the hell have I been?

10-31-2009 00:23:06 | More by jlindros
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev -31.8%

Bottle: Poured a slightly cloudy orangey color ale with a small foamy head with OK carbonation and minimal retention. Aroma of sweet notes is somewhat overpowering. Taste is a syrupy-like sweet malt base with no fruiter ester and noticeable yeast notes that usually accompany this style. Body has a syrup like texture with average carbonation but alcohol is well hidden. Not very good for the style, this brewery should stick to hops-centric beer IMHO - Nice packaging thought.

10-30-2009 01:36:51 | More by Phyl21ca
tastybeer

3.6/5  rDev -3%

Color is rusty orange, evenly cloudy, with a small tightly formed orange tinted-cream colored head. Though not much head overall, the 1/8" of retention has a good dense oily appearance. Aroma is appropriately Belgian but pretty basic at the same time. Nothing offensive...good basic aromas. The taste matches well though this could have more depth. Nice mild carbonation, smooth mouthfeel, and easy to consume. Overall not bad.

10-01-2009 14:40:04 | More by tastybeer
brentk56

2.88/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a foamy head that scatters a decent amount of lace around

Smell: Big aroma of candi sugar, bubblegum, coriander and alcohol; an unusual herbal element is also present

Taste: Grainy, with sweet candi sugar and bubblegum, up front, but by mid-palate, a bitter medicinal flavor appears - acetone, perhaps; after the swallow, the bubblegum and coriander flavors join with a citrusy hop element to add a new dimension, but the finish has an acetone element that is off-putting

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This beer just doesn't come together for me and adds one more count to the relatively long list of failed attempts by domestic craft brewers to brew in the Belgian style; for some reason, the tripel is where most of them flounder

09-29-2009 02:18:07 | More by brentk56
nickd717

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle from BevMo. Underrated tripel.

A - Nice hazy golden appearance, white head.

S - Sweet, yeasty, fruity aroma.

T - Belgian yeast, light fruits, phenols, and sugar. More hop bitterness on the finish than many of the Belgian tripels.

M - Mouthfeel is a little watery for a tripel, but seriously, screw mouthfeel sometimes. This is still pretty good.

D - High for the style, and the watery mouthfeel actually redeems itself a bit in this category.

09-18-2009 17:23:40 | More by nickd717
alleykatking

Indiana

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle. Spilt with the girlfriend's Dad. Thank God he likes good beer.

A- Pours a nice hazy light copper/orange body. Tons of yeat sediment in the pour I got. Nice 2 finger off white head that died down several minutes later. Great lacing on the sides of the glass the entire beer. Overall this is a fantastic looking beer the only down side to it is all the yeast floating in the beer.

S- Some sweeter smelling fruit in this beer (pear I think, light tropical fruit). Big Belgian yeast smell in this with the yeast that they used. Some clove and a hint of banana that goes along with the clove perfectly. There is a distint alcohol aroma to this that isn't too overbearing but let's you know it is there.

T- Nice bubblegum like taste to this beer right off the get go. Good taste of the Belgian yeast comes through right before a good clove and simple light fuit taste come crashing through on the palate. the alcohol that I smelled earlier comes through a little more in the taste but does not affect the overall quality of the taste.

M- Nice medium mouthfeel to this beer. Carbonation levels on this beer were a little more than what I expected. Almost a tad to much which I left a half point off for. Helps rush the beer across the palate but it really needed a little bit less to complement the style. Left a nice clove and yeasty taste on the palate which I enjoyed a lot.

D- This beer was a good sipper. I think if I didn't have as much yeast in it I would have enjoyed it better. Overall not a bad beer but I would pick something else in the style if I wasnted to drink in the style again.

08-27-2009 05:59:22 | More by alleykatking
kenito799

4.22/5  rDev +13.7%

20 oz bomber poured into a Koningshoeven chalice.

medium rosy-golden amber brew with soft head receding to a ring, some lacing. Aroma immediately says Belgian tripel, which is nice--caramel, bubble gum, some apricot and banana. Highly carbonated which keeps this strong fairly sweet brew dancing on the palate. The flavor is not quite classic tripel, but nevertheless quite an intriguing amalgam of Belgian aspects with an underlying bitter hoppy finish that is very American. Fruity sweetness, cake, bubble gum up front, then a hoppy twang in a long finish. Quite enjoyable.

08-14-2009 02:21:39 | More by kenito799
JayQue

3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

Pretty good offering from a brewery that specializes in hoppy beers. Pours into my Chimay goblet a hazy pale orange with almost no head or lacing. Smell is somewhat pronounced Belgian candi sugar and malts.

Tastes pretty good, some Belgian aspects candi sugar, yeasts but not the complexity that I have experienced from some other beers. The alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is rich and syrupy, no alcohol burn. Drinkability is pretty good for a high octane beer. Not the best belgian style beer I have had but tasty. I woulddrink this one again if it wasn;t a onetime only brew.

08-01-2009 02:40:29 | More by JayQue
adamette

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

Live review. Poured from a bomber purchased about a year ago into my silver rimmed Chimay goblet.

A Very minimal and brief head over a yellow, light brown body. Nice amount of sediment (yeast?) floating about in the second goblet that I poured (the bottom of the bottle). Good look and appropriate to the style. 4.0

S Minimal smell but there is the sweet malt in the absence of a signficant hop profile with a hint of Belgian yeast, grains. 3.5

T Happy to say that taste more than makes up for a rather weak smell. Big malt levels, little to no perceptible hops and nice Belgian yeast tastes. Good, solid triple, my favorite style. 4.5

M Moderate syrupy consistency, consistent with the style, big ABV makes this a big beer as well. 4.0

D Fine for a tripel, not a style that lends itself to drinkability. This one is delicious and so I drank both goblets (the amount of the bomber) without a lot of difficulty. 3.0

Notes: Big ups to Lagunitas not for making a tripel but for brewing this beer which I find to be quite different from other beers that they brew and delivering a tasty beer in the process. Lagunitas has honored the 40th Anniversary of "We're Only In It for the Money" in a dramatic way. This might be my favorite label of any beer (until The Beatles or Apple Corps. License their album covers for use as a beer label that is!).

07-19-2009 15:50:16 | More by adamette
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Loved the album but was not as amoured with the beer. It looked good, a medium yellow with a bit of white head. The aroma had yeast, malts, and hop. The taste was rather not getting it. Now I did not know in advance it was a tripel, but it was not a great example of the style and not so tasty nor drinkable with lunch.

07-12-2009 04:58:15 | More by Sammy
albern

4.38/5  rDev +18.1%

This is an excellent tripel with its rather high ABV very well hidden. This is dangerous stuff. The beer is a nice orangy amber color with a thick syrup like pour and consistency. The beer is liqueur like in its presentation and the nose is very sweet malts, very Belgianesque. The beer is low carbonation, full bodied, thick with lots of candied sugars.

The taste is just grand, lots of Belgian sweet malts and yeastiness, bursting florals, complex flavors such as coriander, rind, citrus, all fermented with candied sugars. The beer goes down way too easily and is dangerously deceptive. The mouthfeel is a touch thick, sweet, oily, maybe a tad syrupy. The aftertaste is warming and sweet. This one is well worth seeking out. L'Chaim.

06-21-2009 20:41:37 | More by albern
slatetupelo

Mississippi

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a light golden color with just a bit of white head and very little lacing.

T - There is some good sweetness here and a dose of malts, the alcohol is well hidden.

D - I think this got better as it warmed, it was really drinkable and I demolished my bottle in no time.

06-09-2009 06:10:44 | More by slatetupelo
unclejimbay

We're Only In It For The Money
Lagunitas Brewing Company
Style: Tripel, ABV: 8.20 %
5/2/09 @ home, 22 oz bottle > pint glass
$4 22oz @ Broudy's

A 3.0 - Light orange/copper in color. Okay 1.5 finger head w/ lacing. Appeared clearer and higher carbonated than expected.
S 3.0 - Hop notes are present, clove in backgroud.
T 3.0 - Tastes follow the smells. Some sweetness and boozyness present.
MF 3.0 - Medium+ in body, high carbonation, some alcohol warming sensation
D 3.0 - This is just okay in my book for Tripel, it is a bit off style and much more hoppy that I expected. It is a unique brew for sure with a one of a kind label and name. In two words "hoppy tripel"....

06-08-2009 13:54:06 | More by unclejimbay
daliandragon

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

This is one I've been seeing for a while in the various stores and always found interesting as to the label and geneology. Also, at $3.99 for a 22oz bomber at Whole Foods, this is nice value unless it's truly terrible. Pours into my Ommegang goblet with a rich golden color and resiliant off white head. Bubble gum and honey tinged sweetness power the nose.

Yeast and a varied array of sugars manage to give the flavor a supersweet quality that hides the alcohol and makes this sipper dangerous but very tasty. This is better than I expected and will only get better with age. This is a good time to pick up a few cheap.

06-02-2009 02:33:55 | More by daliandragon
tai4ji2x

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

22oz bomber. i don't think i found a date on it. tasted in early april 2009. poured into tulip.

clear blonde, orangey amber. good 1.5 finger off-white head, fades to wisps and ring. just a couple very thin rings of lace.

lightly caramelized malt aroma, with fruity white grape and apple, and hint of citrus flesh. grassy euro hops, hint of spice. it's all kind of weak however.

taste: similar flavors, but again just seems watered down and diluted. a touch more phenols. mild to moderate bitterness, with more light phenols in the finish.

thin, almost watery feel, with astringency in the finish. carbonation is just to help liven things up from the boredom induced by the beer...

06-01-2009 03:30:38 | More by tai4ji2x
Dangerous

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

This is a good Tripel. Lots of good Belgian maltiness that imparts a complex array of fruit flavors. Among the predominant for me are the spiced apple, banana and pear. Mouth feel is a bit thick, but balances nicely with the good amount of carbonation. Bottom line for me is this... I would definitely drink this again. Don't serve it too cold. Buy a few bottles, cellar them and crack 'em open in a year. I'll bet they'll age nicely!

05-29-2009 22:27:44 | More by Dangerous
bsend

3.6/5  rDev -3%

Poured this 22 oz. bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a deep orange color with hints of gold. The beer looks slightly cloudy but lets plenty of light through. A proper pour yields a nice 2 finger white fizzy head.

Smell: Deep aromas of candied fruit, alcohol, and medium amounts of spice.

Taste: Sweet, spicy and fruity. This beer provides a small alcohol hint at the end that increases as it warms. Not the best Tripel out there but a nice effort from Lagunitas.

Mouthfeel: Slightly dry, and warming. For the style relatively light in body.

Drinkability: No problem going through this bottle, but I don't know how much of a dent I could have made in the next.

Final Thoughts: Not a bad job by Lagunitas, but just not incredible either. I was expecting more but was a little let down. Overall though for the price, I would definitely pick up another one and let it age a bit.

05-26-2009 12:39:08 | More by bsend
jdense

Oregon

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

One of the last of the Zappa Beers, and a far above average of the Belgian-Style Tripel, WOIIFTM pours a brilliant orange under generous two finger slowly dissipating head with minimal lacing. Not much nose to speak of those the sweetness imparted by candy sugar is quite present. Mandarin Oranges, a bit of coriander for balance and a fairly dry mouthfeel make this a pretty tasty brew, but due to alcohol content and sweetness one bottle is enough. Perhaps Lagunitas should resurrect this brew under a non-Zappa moniker, The Belgian Eyeball, perhaps?

05-06-2009 14:08:00 | More by jdense
OtherShoe2

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a hazy orange with a thin head -- some slight retention. No lacing.

Smells of alcohol-soaked sweet fruit, some candied yeastiness.

Funky tripel here. Sweet fruitness, pear-like, with some tropical elements and a cotton-candy funk. Some spice as well, but all of this is awash in a chemical alcohol flavor that while far from overbearing, almost gets in the way. It helps keep the sweetness in check, is it is hard to find bitterness in this brew, but it adds a twist that I can take or leave.

This has some surprising carbonation longevity, even though the head is practically gone in a flash upon pouring. Somewhat mouthcoating and decent bodied.

I sipped this one. It wasn't overly strong or harsh, so it went down pretty well, but this is not a style you chug either. I actually kinda dug this version of a tripel, and recommend that people try this while they can. From past forum posts, it looks like this one might be history unless the Zappa family changes their tune (or this just gets repackaged). I must say, at $5.49 for a bomber (and that's Massachusetts prices - why so cheap?), this was a great value for a tripel.

05-02-2009 21:54:49 | More by OtherShoe2
FLBeerGuy

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a copper color with some suspended yeast particles, thin white head, not much lacing.

Smells sweet with some fruitiness.

Taste is sweet, some fruit with some alcohol and bitterness on the way down.

Mouthfeel is a little heavy

The high ABV and the fact that it's not well hidden, hurt the drinkability of this one. Overall, not a great beer, probably wouldn't buy again.

04-25-2009 22:49:06 | More by FLBeerGuy
TheTrevor

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

This beer poured a red-tinged copper with a fluffy two-finger head that lingered. The smell is has some characteristic wheat and spiciness along with a bit of banana fruitiness. The taste starts off with a candy sweetness that gives way to some banana and apple that gives way to a spiciness and bit of alcohol taste in the finish. The mouthfeel is slightly thick with a moderate amount of carbonation and some warming from the alochol. The drinkability is pretty good, although the alcohol isn't hidden as well as some tripels. Not a bad beer and celebrating a great album, no reason not to snag this if you can find it.

04-16-2009 03:23:57 | More by TheTrevor
TheNightbird

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Amber, with a nice fluffy head. With floating yeast particles (odd).

S- Yeasty but not over powering. Grains, sweet carmel and sugar.

T- Fruity, sugar and hops in the background. Slight Alcohol at the end of the sip. Nice dry finish.

M- Big mouthful upfront with a nice carbonation at the end.

D- The alcohol is 8% is well hidden in the taste, but it did catch up to me after drinking the 22oz.

An interesting beer that sat on the shelf for almost two years.

04-16-2009 00:44:52 | More by TheNightbird
jbphoto88

3.45/5  rDev -7%

Crystal clear beer but i didn't swirl and pour and I got the first pour from the 22oz bottle. The beer is the color of lightly fired terracotta with a cap of eggshell white. Minimal sticky lacing but there is some present.

Smell is nice and spicy with a good twinge of Belgian yeast. Mixed in the nose is some light summery fruits, apricots, white grapes and apples. Not half bad.

The flavor has a candied sweetness that is the dominate player here. Escorting the candy taste is a mix of just before ripe melon, sweet apples and a touch of grain alcohol. Slightly spiced with a peppery goodness.

A touch on the syrupy side for my taste. The beer has a fuller body then I would expect for this style and ends up being to sweet. I do like the peppery feel and aftertaste that hides the 8.2% perfectly. Well worth trying but not one that will make my favorites list.

04-09-2009 23:51:55 | More by jbphoto88