New Dogtown Pale Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

New Dogtown Pale AleNew Dogtown Pale Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: thartman on 09-17-2008)
Reviews by Hops4Pops:
4.48/5  rDev +13.4%

From fresh growler from a fresh tapped keg (I watched him tap it).
Maybe its just me but I like my beer bold and cold to start! Its going to warm up (most likely).
A: This is perfect. Side pour into a tulip. Lots of aggressive head eggshell white in color. Giant. A bit went over the side of the glass as it exanded. Dissapates into a cloud-like pillow in the glass. Cool! Lacing is very nice and sticky. Clear. Beautiful gold in color! I really like this and expectations are rather high. I am watching the head and its incredible. Giant bubbles. Foam. Everything in between. Perfect.
S: This beer has body. I like that, even in a Pale Ale. When I nose it, it has a stronger scent than any other pale ale I remember. Thumbs up. When I smell it I think its quite hoppy and bready.
T: Nice. Light and crisp. Hop on. Pine citrus etc as it warms. Malt balances it out and lets it respite as a serious beer.
M: This is the only area I am sketchy about. Its bites. I was hoping for a little creamy.
O: This is the best pale ale I have had so far. I love bold beer. This fits the bill.

Hops4Pops, Dec 20, 2013
3.83/5  rDev -3%

Always love getting my hands on some new Lagunitas stuff.Poured into a nonic a dull light to medium golend with a thinner but well retained white head.Great aromas the hop profile really stricks out,pine with citric notes mixed with a lightly sweet caramel/biscuit malt base.The flavors dont hit home as much as I ecpected,the caramel malt notes show thru upfront with the citric,piney hop notes finishing but its a little lighter than expected.Mouthfeel is a tad thin but the beer is quaffable.

oberon, Jun 27, 2009

mojohawk21, Jun 28, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Turbo, Jun 16, 2014

t2grogan, Oct 05, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Bright orange with a thin white head.

I'm greeted by floral hops on the nose with citrus, and doughy malts not far behind.

Grapefruit/citrus flavors blend with the pale malt sweetness. Still, it's hop driven for the most part.

Not the tip-top, but flavorful, sessionable, and respectable.

brownbeer, Nov 21, 2009

BeerDreadz, Apr 07, 2014

sasoares, Aug 03, 2014

Lazaro, Feb 01, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -34.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours clear yellow with a medium frothy white head that retains fairly well and leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is biscuity malts and grassy, slightly metallic, hops.

The flavor is sweet biscuity malts with a pretty big grassy hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with sharp carbonation.

Overall, an OK pale ale with good bitterness. The biscuit malt and grassy hops aren't my thing though.

Beaver13, Jun 06, 2014

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Doomcifer, Aug 17, 2014

JakerLou, Jun 12, 2014
3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

12 ounce bottle, w/o freshness info to be gleaned.

Pours clear, lighter amber, with a golden hue. Very loose off white head, shows some retention, before ging to a larger bubble film, collar and bits of again looser lacing.

Hops on the nose, on the musty, leafy and herbal side.

Pronounced hop presence is the lead dog here. Bitter and dry, somebody else said this one seemed more British in style and I agree. Tastes like a well hoped Brit IPA, doesnt have that citric/grapefruit assault of more West Coast style IPAs...anyway, of course I like, but I'm not in love. Servicable, sessionable, works fine in a pinch, just wouldnt call it a "go to" IPA.

Billolick, Dec 16, 2010

Chris_Panos, Dec 12, 2013

The beer pours a golden orange color with a white head. I get a of different things in the aroma. At first I get a lot of orange and some biscuit malt, but then it opens up and I get a lot of fruit - pineapple, pine, papaya and some cattiness. The flavor is not as complex. I get some pine and biscuit malt as well as some papaya and pineapple. Low bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Jan 23, 2011