New Dogtown Pale Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: thartman on 09-17-2008

Reviews: 397 | Hads: 1,771

Vintage: 2013
Appearance: Bright, Translucent Gold; Storm of Carbonation; Fluffy, White head
Smell: Pine; Resin; Lemon; Bread; Fresh Wort
Taste: Pine; Lemon; Cereal Grains; Wort
Mouth-feel: Crisp; light-medium body; Medium Carbonation;
Overall: Goddamn Wonderful. One of, if not the best, PA on the market.

st:12oz brown bottle
app:golden orange,3 fingers of foam,medium carbonation.
s:fresh citrus aroma,hints of caramel,little hops in the nose
t:very juicy and citrusy

notes: I really enjoyed this brew.i am a big fan of APA's and always looking for a great APA. this brew defies greatness and should be tried by all. i highly recomend this brew to any APA fans out there.

4.87/5  rDev +22.1%

Woah, this Pale Ale definitely gives Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale some real good competition. It has a really nice copper color and has that classic Lagunita's hop juice smell which mostly consists of tropical fruits and fresh oranges. I also get on here some sweet cracker malt smells that balance out the hop smell... something I don't get on other Lagunita's beers.

It starts with the sweet malty biscuit cracker tastes and then just hits you with really nice hop flavors that consist of that grapefruit rind, orange citrus and ends with that fruity bitterness. Not too bitter as the sweet malt washes some of it away but definitely leaves room for the hops to shine through with the bitterness. People would think they'd put fruit in this yet somehow you can tell they don't. Pure hop flavor right here. It also leans towards a lighter mouthfeel despite being sweet from the malts. It definitely has a pale ale body and mouthfeel. This is better than some IPA's I've had. It almost reminds me of a Nugget Nectar light or something. Excellent beer and definitely one of my favorite Pale Ales EVER.

4.85/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This brew pours a semi-clear copper color with a two finger head which lasts a long time, good carbonation and thick lacing which lasts until the end.

The smell is citrus and floral hops, grapefruit, lemon, pineapple, and caramel malts.

The taste follows the nose, grapefruit, pineapple, citrus and floral hops dominate. There is a think caramel malt backbone and the taste finishes with oily pine hops.

The feel is thick, bready and chewy. You could really almost chew this. There is are also oily hops left on the tongue after swallowing.

Overall this is one of the few American Pale Ale's I like, make that love. Another winner from Lagunitas, which is quickly becoming my favorite brewery. They do hops right. Although this brew is not listed as "sessionable" I believe it is the most sessionable A.P.A. I have had.

4.82/5  rDev +20.8%

Hands-down, one of the best American Pale Ales I've ever sampled...
Touches on styles from Troegs Nugget Nectar and Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid...
Strong nectarine, tangerine, and orange flavors bursting throughout...
Strong orange-zest in the nose and on the tongue... Citrusy, with mixed florals...
Excellent stuff...
Highly recommended...

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

A friend of mine spoke highly of this APA and mentioned it was one of his new favorites. Even going at this one with high expectations, I was surprised.

Wonderfully hoppy - loads of pine, citrus, and fresh overall zestiness - completely blending in with the malt background that sips smooth and not heavy. One of the most flavorful yet soft on the tongue APAs I've come across.

Word to the wise - if you're out of California/tap range, make sure you try a fresh bottle - this style and this brew especially go downhill quickly should you not obtain the freshest possible.

4.79/5  rDev +20.1%

This was an excellent pale ale.

Appearance- light amber color, decent head retention, transparent

Smell- piney hops(strong aroma of it), excellent, fell in love with the aroma

Taste- piney hops, every time i tasted it I smelled the piney hops which made it that much more heavenly

Mouthfeel- smooth, light to medium bodied, very nice

Drinkability- very drinkable, possibly the best pale ale I have had

4.77/5  rDev +19.5%

This is one of my go-to Pale Ale's and bar none one of the best American Pale Ales.

Citrusy, floral and spice to balance with the fruits. great nose and appearance. Outstanding aroma as complex as you can find in a Pale Ale.

Grapefruit, tangerines, with subtle pomegranate. Spices like coriander and curacao peel. Herbal, floral from the hops. It is somewhat bitter but crisp and malty undertones as well.

This beer is fantastic and you can throw them down. Great abv for a summer/year round brew. My buddy had one (he's a bmc drinker) and said this was like Snapple-made from the best stuff on earth!

You can find a sixer of this brew in my fridge often, particularly during the summer.

4.77/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Second Best Pale Ale ever made. Ridiculously hoppy for a pale ale, and I LOVE that. Close to Lagunitas IPA, without any hint of bitterness. So glad Fresno started carrying this gem. More expensive than the IPA here, but worth every penny!!! Very refreshing.

4.76/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a clear light orange with a half finger of white head

Smell is citrus hops, pale malt, grapefruit, grassy

Taste is incredible, Citrus, grassy, pale malts, herbal spice, tropical fruit.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp with a refreshing carbonation

Oh my... I am glad a fresh batch finally came it! It seems the IPA sells way better around there then the pale which makes no sense to me as this is basically mini sucks and sessionable, World Class stuff if you ask me. Grabbed 2 6s of the fresh stuff (who knows when I will see it again)

This beer is definitely one of the best APAs out there

I have been leaning towards hoppy pales over IPAs lately because of the finess you get in the flavor. I just recently got to try ZD for the first time and had high hopes, but alas it was all bitter an little flavor. This is just the opposite all hop flavor no bitterness. I hope I can keep getting this around here fresh, perfect summer and almost perfect Pale.

4.76/5  rDev +19.3%

Wow! I am very impressed!!! This is absolutely, hands down one of the best pale ale's I've ever had!

A-Pours a clear, deep yellow color, with a medium-thin off white head that dissapates quikly to a thin film and colar on the beer and leaves little lacing.

S-Now the aroma and flavor is what REALLY impressed me! The aroma is pungent and delicate at the same time. Very strong with bright citrus hops, then as the head fades moves to a slightly sweet pale malt backbone. A very exceptional aroma. I really don't think it could improve any. It's almost an IPAish aroma, but not quite, perfect imo.

T-The flavor is much of the same with a nice soft but noticable hop bitterness. A perfect representation of the flavor of and "american" pale ale. Lots of bright citrus hoppiness and also some pine hops to compliment, together, it's kinda like grapefruity but not. The hops shine, but there is a solid pale malt flavor in the finish too.

M-A full, creamy mouthfeel indeed. Lots of carbonation fills my mouth as I swish the beer in my mouth. Very nice.

D- I could drink these all night! I highly suggest this one for any beer lover. Hop heads and non hop heads, be warned, this beer might convert you to the hop heads universe!

4.7/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Grassy, weedy, grapefruit, and orange peel

Appearance: Clear golden copper,1 1/2 finger head, very little lacing though.

Taste: clean crisp, grapfruit, slightly biscuity. once swallowed, slight metallic taste, but then hoppyness and grapefruit taste linger.

Mouthfeel: moderate to high carbonation, with medium mouthfeel.

Impression: very solid pale ale, beer seems to come in waves, very sessionable and not to filling.

serving type: bottle

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%

A: This gets marked down for having an ugly, splotchy, white head. Large bubbles make up the carbonation. Gold body.

S: This smell reminds me of the hop character of Pliny the Elder. Not expected given the style is an APA rather than an IPA. Floral, grassy, and wild.

T: Much more hop-forward than a usual pale ale. Big grapefruit tartness at the beginning, floral in the finish with some more bitters.

M: Refreshing and bubbly mouthfeel seems to contradict the big flavors in this one. It's light and nice, but I feel like I want it to coat and linger a little more.

O: Really the best beer I've had in the style. I feel like there is some bias since I am an IPA fan. Really great, I'll look for this again.

4.66/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Comes off hoppy. Thick head when poured into a pint glass, nice lacing. Wouldn't of guessed it to be a Pale Ale. Tastes of an IPA. That or I've drank too many IPAs tonight before trying this.I dig it. With Lagunitas it seems you can't go wrong with any of their offerings. Curious to see how the Bros to rate it.

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

I've been meaning to retry this beers "New" Dogtown version, I have to say I love Lagunitas and all things Petaluma, CA (Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals). Had a great time living in Cali when I was a youth, summer of 2001 and I turned 20 I was living in SoCal...this is the type of beer I fell in love with out there that got me this into beer. A perfect west coast pale ale, really pours a glowing orange copper hue with a bright white head forming thick and rising above the rim of my glass. Fine intricate lacing left behind as the head slowly dwindles down, this beer just showed up at my local I may have to clear them out. Look aroma wise it can't get better than this citrus peels with hints of orange, grapefruit, and apricot with even a touch of mild pineapple or something tropical. I know these guys use hop concentrate or hop oils but it's working this beer is so hoppy. Hoppier than their IPA think Hop Stoopid light, that's how they should market this, still a substantial amount of alcohol going on at 6.2% abv it's still effortless to drink besides dealing with a barrage of hop burps that it may induce. Flavor hits with a well rounded bitterness and biscuit pale malts with some herbal spiciness coming through again citrus peels and hops burn your nares with hop burps. Mouthfeel is coated with a slick layer of hop oils streaking across the palate, carbonation is moderate but carries the light to medium bodied pale ale so well. A true classic in my book, you just can't get these same flavors in anyother pale ale out there espcecially any pale in the 6.2 range, which could be a light IPA.

4.56/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours lighter than I expected. A golden color somewhere between wheat and light orange with a rocky white head that really sticks around--though the glass I'm using (somewhat football-shaped) might have something to do with that. Seems to be leaving lacing as it (slowly) goes down. The body is completely clear.

S: Beautiful hop aroma. Grapefruit, mango, and other tropical fruits up front. Maybe a little passionfruit. Slight breadiness behind. One of the best aromas I've gotten on an American pale. I'm hoping the taste will match.

T: I like the taste slightly less than the nose, but it is a very nice taste nonetheless. The sequence is interesting. I get bitter hops right up front, with the citrus and mango through the middle, then a really bready finish. Really enjoyable. You don't have that lingering bitter hop taste (I find it a little unpleasant, but I prefer malty beers so that's no shock) that American pales will often impart. It reminds me of drinking grapefruit juice (in a good way).

M: A littttle light-bodied, but not in a way that noticeably diminishes the overall quality of the beer. Fizzy in a pleasant, refreshing way. No booziness on the tongue.

O: I really, really love this beer. It's pretty bitter up front so I think hopheads will appreciate it but it's also nice and balanced for beer drinkers like me who prefer a nutty, malty ales. Highly recommend this one.

4.54/5  rDev +13.8%

A: Pours a dark golden, almost orange liquid with a fair amount of carbonation bubbles into the glass. A two finger frothy head forms. Huge bubbles in the head. It leaves a lot of lacings on the glass.

S: A massive smell of pine, grapefruit, pineapples, clementines and lot of other citrus fruits up front. Sweet malts at the end. The smell is very, very hoppy and fresh.

T: The taste is full of pine, grapefruit and oranges. It starts with pine and grapefruit before clementines takes over. At the end there are a dominant taste of orange and grapefruit peel. The alcohol is well hidden.

M: Medium bodies with strong carbonation. The carbonation bubbles are large in size. It feels a bit sticky towards the tongue.

O: A very refreshing American Pale Ale with a fantastic smell and awesome aroma.

4.52/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a 12 once into a perfect.

Pours a medium honey with a moderate cloud. Thick, rich head recedes to a stout cap and laces nicely. Very nice presentation.

Aroma is an amazing floral and fruity hop up front. Grain follows toasty and balancing. The aroma reaches out and grabs you by the chin. I believe this to be one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure of snorting.

Flavor is tannic malt and minerals. Fruity hops, pineapple, fresh peaches and light grape. Middle is toasted grain, solid and balancing. Finishes slightly earthy and crunchy, bitter and piney with a dryness that belies the fruit flavors of the hops. Flavor is out iof this world in balance and fullness of hop and malt. Outstanding.

I would buy a ton of this if it were as available to me as I would like. Balanced, with tons of hop flavor this one reminds me of a Slam Light. Awesome.

4.52/5  rDev +13.3%

For some reason, I have this instinct to avoid Lagunitas, but looking back, most of the beers I've tried from them, I remember liking. In a minor moment of epiphany, I grabbed this single at a nearby organic market, from their refrigerated section.

In the glass, this beer is a deep hue of orange. The head dissipates quickly to a rim around the glass, with a small amount of lace. On the nose I get green hops, strong and inviting citrus -- grapefruit and tangerine. On the nineteenth sniff, the aroma is still coming at me, maybe with some lychee now. On the tongue, this beer starts crisp and bitter, big juicy grapefruit hops with a metallic edge. The grapefruit rind really comes through in the middle and it lingers with the hoppy dry finish. Whoa. The malt is in there but mostly in the shadow of the hop flavor which is really intense. I get a little peek of malt near the end. Wow, this is just a gorgeous beer with tons of grapefruit rind.

Overall: I think this beer is a super duper APA. Perhaps a bit bitter for newbies (overhoppy), but if you can take SNPA, this is great stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

L: Pours brilliant gold with a 2” white to cream colored foam cap that dissipates over 4 minutes to a thick, lacy film. S: Big malty grainy aromas rise from the glass with some light caramel, floral and spice. T: A rich attack with malt, fruit, biscuit, faint nuts, and assertive bitterness. The palate has some citrus and also some herbal notes. Over all the flavors are well rounded. F: Very creamy, medium body and a very soft palate. O: A nice drinking, full flavored, refreshing beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very nice golden color, nice head that fades quickly, lacing on the glass. Strong smell of grapefruit. Citrus and pine on the front end, fades to a gentle sweet malt back. Nice mouthfeel with good bitterness and carbonation that both linger. Overall a really nice pale ale. Perfect on a warm afternoon.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Lagunitas New Dog Town Pale Ale has a very thick, creamy, cream-colored head, a semi-clear, orange-golden appearance, a large amount of floaties, and some splotchy lacing left behind. The aroma is of pine oil, some subdued fruit, sweetness, white bread, and bread crust. Taste is of all that, with a pronounced hop bite on the undertaste- this beer is hoppier than some East Coast IPAs! Mouthfeel is medium, soft, and slick, and Lagunitas New Dog Town Pale Ale finishes dry, refreshing, and drinkable. I score this one most excellent. Good stuff!

4.49/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Light golden orange with a nice frothy head.

S: Delicious smelling apple, caramelized fruits, buttery tangy orange. Aromatic flowery hops

T: Big bitter hops with just enough fruitiness and nuttiness to make this a very drinkable ale. Strong on the back of the tongue, but nicely rounded.

M: Sharp, big-bubble carbonation. I can feel the air in this one. Provides a really smooth, frothy feeling in the mouth, though, helping to bring out the floral hints.

O: Lagunitas does it again with this fantastic pale ale. I'd like to complement it with an orange wedge and see how it does... I hope I get to try this again.

4.48/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Golden amber color that's extremely vibrant and earthy and natural looking. It really looks like this beer's been tapped from a spring. Bubbles dance in this one as in most pales. Head is enormous, lasting long and with good lacing.

S - Overwhelming smell. A LOT of aroma...Tangerine citrus, hops, honey, and some yeast.

T - Very fresh, just as it smells, and a lot of citrus flavor and grapefruit and a ton of hoppy bitterness that really smash your tastebuds after half a beer. A sweet honeysuckle on the front of each sip. And perhaps even more hoppy and bitter than Sierra Nevada's? I think so.

M - Pretty great. Light to medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation but not overly so. The head coats each sip very very nicely.

D - Very easy to drink. One of the very greatest session beers I can imagine. This is a very stellar brew that I'll definitely buy again. A great, classic summer beer that I look forward to drinking in the hot evening nights. It's also my first Lagunitas, so I look forward to trying more from them. Any recommendations?

Edit: After having gotten this brew a couple more times, it is truly one of my very favorites of all time. So so so so so drinkable. Perfect for any season, at any time, especially in the summer. I'm very impressed. I'm still only 21, but I think this may be the beer that I purchase and drink most of in my lifetime. I am totally in love with this beer. I think its drinkability is absolutely through through the roof.

4.48/5  rDev +12.3%

From fresh growler from a fresh tapped keg (I watched him tap it).
Maybe its just me but I like my beer bold and cold to start! Its going to warm up (most likely).
A: This is perfect. Side pour into a tulip. Lots of aggressive head eggshell white in color. Giant. A bit went over the side of the glass as it exanded. Dissapates into a cloud-like pillow in the glass. Cool! Lacing is very nice and sticky. Clear. Beautiful gold in color! I really like this and expectations are rather high. I am watching the head and its incredible. Giant bubbles. Foam. Everything in between. Perfect.
S: This beer has body. I like that, even in a Pale Ale. When I nose it, it has a stronger scent than any other pale ale I remember. Thumbs up. When I smell it I think its quite hoppy and bready.
T: Nice. Light and crisp. Hop on. Pine citrus etc as it warms. Malt balances it out and lets it respite as a serious beer.
M: This is the only area I am sketchy about. Its bites. I was hoping for a little creamy.
O: This is the best pale ale I have had so far. I love bold beer. This fits the bill.

New Dogtown Pale Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company