New Dogtown Pale Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: thartman on 09-17-2008

4.87/5  rDev +23.3%

Woah, this Pale Ale definitely gives Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale some real good competition. It has a really nice copper color and has that classic Lagunita's hop juice smell which mostly consists of tropical fruits and fresh oranges. I also get on here some sweet cracker malt smells that balance out the hop smell... something I don't get on other Lagunita's beers.

It starts with the sweet malty biscuit cracker tastes and then just hits you with really nice hop flavors that consist of that grapefruit rind, orange citrus and ends with that fruity bitterness. Not too bitter as the sweet malt washes some of it away but definitely leaves room for the hops to shine through with the bitterness. People would think they'd put fruit in this yet somehow you can tell they don't. Pure hop flavor right here. It also leans towards a lighter mouthfeel despite being sweet from the malts. It definitely has a pale ale body and mouthfeel. This is better than some IPA's I've had. It almost reminds me of a Nugget Nectar light or something. Excellent beer and definitely one of my favorite Pale Ales EVER.

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This brew pours a semi-clear copper color with a two finger head which lasts a long time, good carbonation and thick lacing which lasts until the end.

The smell is citrus and floral hops, grapefruit, lemon, pineapple, and caramel malts.

The taste follows the nose, grapefruit, pineapple, citrus and floral hops dominate. There is a think caramel malt backbone and the taste finishes with oily pine hops.

The feel is thick, bready and chewy. You could really almost chew this. There is are also oily hops left on the tongue after swallowing.

Overall this is one of the few American Pale Ale's I like, make that love. Another winner from Lagunitas, which is quickly becoming my favorite brewery. They do hops right. Although this brew is not listed as "sessionable" I believe it is the most sessionable A.P.A. I have had.

4.82/5  rDev +22%

Hands-down, one of the best American Pale Ales I've ever sampled...
Touches on styles from Troegs Nugget Nectar and Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid...
Strong nectarine, tangerine, and orange flavors bursting throughout...
Strong orange-zest in the nose and on the tongue... Citrusy, with mixed florals...
Excellent stuff...
Highly recommended...

4.81/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

You cant go wrong with New Dogtown Pale Ale.

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

A friend of mine spoke highly of this APA and mentioned it was one of his new favorites. Even going at this one with high expectations, I was surprised.

Wonderfully hoppy - loads of pine, citrus, and fresh overall zestiness - completely blending in with the malt background that sips smooth and not heavy. One of the most flavorful yet soft on the tongue APAs I've come across.

Word to the wise - if you're out of California/tap range, make sure you try a fresh bottle - this style and this brew especially go downhill quickly should you not obtain the freshest possible.

4.79/5  rDev +21.3%

This was an excellent pale ale.

Appearance- light amber color, decent head retention, transparent

Smell- piney hops(strong aroma of it), excellent, fell in love with the aroma

Taste- piney hops, every time i tasted it I smelled the piney hops which made it that much more heavenly

Mouthfeel- smooth, light to medium bodied, very nice

Drinkability- very drinkable, possibly the best pale ale I have had

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%

This is one of my go-to Pale Ale's and bar none one of the best American Pale Ales.

Citrusy, floral and spice to balance with the fruits. great nose and appearance. Outstanding aroma as complex as you can find in a Pale Ale.

Grapefruit, tangerines, with subtle pomegranate. Spices like coriander and curacao peel. Herbal, floral from the hops. It is somewhat bitter but crisp and malty undertones as well.

This beer is fantastic and you can throw them down. Great abv for a summer/year round brew. My buddy had one (he's a bmc drinker) and said this was like Snapple-made from the best stuff on earth!

You can find a sixer of this brew in my fridge often, particularly during the summer.

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Second Best Pale Ale ever made. Ridiculously hoppy for a pale ale, and I LOVE that. Close to Lagunitas IPA, without any hint of bitterness. So glad Fresno started carrying this gem. More expensive than the IPA here, but worth every penny!!! Very refreshing.

4.76/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a clear light orange with a half finger of white head

Smell is citrus hops, pale malt, grapefruit, grassy

Taste is incredible, Citrus, grassy, pale malts, herbal spice, tropical fruit.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp with a refreshing carbonation

Oh my... I am glad a fresh batch finally came it! It seems the IPA sells way better around there then the pale which makes no sense to me as this is basically mini sucks and sessionable, World Class stuff if you ask me. Grabbed 2 6s of the fresh stuff (who knows when I will see it again)

This beer is definitely one of the best APAs out there

I have been leaning towards hoppy pales over IPAs lately because of the finess you get in the flavor. I just recently got to try ZD for the first time and had high hopes, but alas it was all bitter an little flavor. This is just the opposite all hop flavor no bitterness. I hope I can keep getting this around here fresh, perfect summer and almost perfect Pale.

4.76/5  rDev +20.5%

Wow! I am very impressed!!! This is absolutely, hands down one of the best pale ale's I've ever had!

A-Pours a clear, deep yellow color, with a medium-thin off white head that dissapates quikly to a thin film and colar on the beer and leaves little lacing.

S-Now the aroma and flavor is what REALLY impressed me! The aroma is pungent and delicate at the same time. Very strong with bright citrus hops, then as the head fades moves to a slightly sweet pale malt backbone. A very exceptional aroma. I really don't think it could improve any. It's almost an IPAish aroma, but not quite, perfect imo.

T-The flavor is much of the same with a nice soft but noticable hop bitterness. A perfect representation of the flavor of and "american" pale ale. Lots of bright citrus hoppiness and also some pine hops to compliment, together, it's kinda like grapefruity but not. The hops shine, but there is a solid pale malt flavor in the finish too.

M-A full, creamy mouthfeel indeed. Lots of carbonation fills my mouth as I swish the beer in my mouth. Very nice.

D- I could drink these all night! I highly suggest this one for any beer lover. Hop heads and non hop heads, be warned, this beer might convert you to the hop heads universe!

New Dogtown Pale Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company