Cruising With Ruben & The Jets - Lagunitas Brewing Company

good

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.60% ABV

Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 12-05-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 311 | Reviews: 264
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this '08 oddity randomly. "BoppaDooAyDoo Style Ale," poured from a 22oz bottle into a Spiegelau tulip.

A: Pours a brownish-black with a small tan-head. A little bit of lacing.

S: Molasses, brown sugar, a bit of mushy dried fruit like prune, a bit of chocolate.

T: Tastes more like a dark barleywine than an RIS. Smooth dark fruit (fig, prune, raisin), roasted grain, brown sugar, subtle chocolate, a little bit of alcohol. A bit of oxidation and metallic notes in the middle.

M: Very fine carbonation with a relatively thick body.

O: Not nearly as bad as I expected. Obviously past its prime, yet still pretty tasty.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

Found this at a store. Only after I bought it did I realize it was a one time release in 2008. Had I known this, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I'm trying this today 3/3/12.

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Samuel Smith Pint.

A- Black cola like in color. Huge fluffy tan head that lingers for a bit. Lots of retention on the glass. So far so good.

S- Slightly sour, coffee cocoa powder, chocolate, raisins, roasted malts.

T- It isn't bad considering its age. I'm getting a lot of malt, with some raisins and chocolate. Its also a bit sour with a lingering coffee like bitter aftertaste.

M- Thick and oily, very little carbonation.

O- Memories of what once was a solid stout is what I got from this. Not bad considering its age, but definitely not something I'd try again. Definitely past its prime. I'll finish the glass but not so sure I want to finish the bottle.

3.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a cellared bottle I've had since August, 2009. I've poured it into my Lion's Pride tulip.

The beer is opaque and colored dark brown. Small spots of ruby are visible where the light makes its way through the liquid. A thin head of tan foam formed as I poured the beer, but now it has settled to a mere skim. Swirling the glass leaves plenty of film and patchy foam on the sides, but the head itself doesn't reform. Streams of carbonation can be seen rising to the top, but only near the top and right at the sides of the glass.

The beer still has plenty of big chocolate notes in the aroma. There is still some alcohol discernible. Also present is a scent that recalls dark fruits, like plum. It is still an enticing aroma 2+ years after bottling.

The flavor is still good as well, although no longer too complex or robust. Chocolate, raisin, coffee bitterness and alcohol are all present. There isn't too much sweetness, although you can still tell this is a malt forward beer. There is also still a roasted aspect, but it is minor. I can taste it as the beer first hits my tongue, but it doesn't last long.

The beer is full-bodied and has medium carbonation levels. The bubbles still manage to tickle my tongue. A pretty good layer of stickiness is left on my lips, but the internal coat isn't too thick.

This stout is enjoyable, but it is probably past its peak at this point. I never drank it fresh, so I can't know for sure. If you have a bottle in your cellar, I'd recommend opening it soon. If you never were able to try it, don't go looking for a bottle now.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

4.5/5  rDev +22%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cruising With Ruben & The Jets from Lagunitas Brewing Company