Cruising With Ruben & The Jets - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cruising With Ruben & The JetsCruising With Ruben & The Jets

good

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 12-05-2008)
3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this '08 oddity randomly. "BoppaDooAyDoo Style Ale," poured from a 22oz bottle into a Spiegelau tulip.

A: Pours a brownish-black with a small tan-head. A little bit of lacing.

S: Molasses, brown sugar, a bit of mushy dried fruit like prune, a bit of chocolate.

T: Tastes more like a dark barleywine than an RIS. Smooth dark fruit (fig, prune, raisin), roasted grain, brown sugar, subtle chocolate, a little bit of alcohol. A bit of oxidation and metallic notes in the middle.

M: Very fine carbonation with a relatively thick body.

O: Not nearly as bad as I expected. Obviously past its prime, yet still pretty tasty.

3.05/5  rDev -17.3%

Found this at a store. Only after I bought it did I realize it was a one time release in 2008. Had I known this, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I'm trying this today 3/3/12.

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Samuel Smith Pint.

A- Black cola like in color. Huge fluffy tan head that lingers for a bit. Lots of retention on the glass. So far so good.

S- Slightly sour, coffee cocoa powder, chocolate, raisins, roasted malts.

T- It isn't bad considering its age. I'm getting a lot of malt, with some raisins and chocolate. Its also a bit sour with a lingering coffee like bitter aftertaste.

M- Thick and oily, very little carbonation.

O- Memories of what once was a solid stout is what I got from this. Not bad considering its age, but definitely not something I'd try again. Definitely past its prime. I'll finish the glass but not so sure I want to finish the bottle.

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a cellared bottle I've had since August, 2009. I've poured it into my Lion's Pride tulip.

The beer is opaque and colored dark brown. Small spots of ruby are visible where the light makes its way through the liquid. A thin head of tan foam formed as I poured the beer, but now it has settled to a mere skim. Swirling the glass leaves plenty of film and patchy foam on the sides, but the head itself doesn't reform. Streams of carbonation can be seen rising to the top, but only near the top and right at the sides of the glass.

The beer still has plenty of big chocolate notes in the aroma. There is still some alcohol discernible. Also present is a scent that recalls dark fruits, like plum. It is still an enticing aroma 2+ years after bottling.

The flavor is still good as well, although no longer too complex or robust. Chocolate, raisin, coffee bitterness and alcohol are all present. There isn't too much sweetness, although you can still tell this is a malt forward beer. There is also still a roasted aspect, but it is minor. I can taste it as the beer first hits my tongue, but it doesn't last long.

The beer is full-bodied and has medium carbonation levels. The bubbles still manage to tickle my tongue. A pretty good layer of stickiness is left on my lips, but the internal coat isn't too thick.

This stout is enjoyable, but it is probably past its peak at this point. I never drank it fresh, so I can't know for sure. If you have a bottle in your cellar, I'd recommend opening it soon. If you never were able to try it, don't go looking for a bottle now.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

4.5/5  rDev +22%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from bottle into taster glass. Mirky dark brown, not pleasing appearance. Lots of floating crap, perhaps yeast cells. Talked to lagunitas about this and they claim it's normal for this beer and harmless. Didnt affect the taste. yum

Deep roasted malts on the nose, a bit sweet, a little vanilla. A bit a coffee, burnt sugars.

Strong roasted flavors, brown sugar, molasses, syrupy toffee. Flavors increase with temp. ABV well hidden.

Very drinkable brew for something that appears heavy. very smooth mouthfeel. recommended.

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

550th Review on BA
Bottle to snifter

Thanks to my 4 year old for picking the funny looking faces for daddy's birthday.

App- Dark chocolately brown in the glass and a lot of red out of the bottle with a softer looking one finger tanish head. One whisp of cling.

Smell- Doesn't smell like a stout. Smells the same as a flat coke with some water. I get some roast, some faint hops and a little ABV.

Taste- Certainly does not taste like a stout. A lot of fade and flavor loss. It's a lot sweeter like a barley wine with some dark sugars and some toffee, caramel notes.

Mouth- I like the feel on this beer a lot. It's very sweet and creamy but not at all like a double stout.

Drink- I appreciate the fact my little girl picked with her eyes and it was a double stout. She knows her daddy well. I wish this was better but it's okay. Something new and it was probably better fresh.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

This was one heck of a beer. I had several bottles of it over the years. I still had one left ($3.39 markdown at my favorite place, Grapevine Wine & Liquors, Denver). The previous two bottles were full of floaters and gone downhill, but this last one is great.

In its prime, a fine example of gloriously rich, malty Lagunitas style. The licorice is the noticeable flavor. Huge, warm rather than hot with alcohol, dark malt roasted to a beautiful sweet mellowness.

A trip down memory lane for both the beer and the record. A great album cover, though my favorite Frank Zappa/Ruben song "Charlena" is on the first album, "For Real!"

Cruising With Ruben & The Jets from Lagunitas Brewing Company