Cruising With Ruben & The Jets - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cruising With Ruben & The JetsCruising With Ruben & The Jets

good

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 12-05-2008)
3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle served in a tulip glass.

L - murky brown color with a tan head that had decent legs and left a good amount of lacing.

S - sweet date/fig aroma.

T - sweet and somewhat roasty taste, fruity date flavor with a little bitterness towards the finish, which ends up sweet tasting.

F - medium/full bodied with a creamy feel.

D - easy enough to finish a bomber of.

JoeyBeerBelly, Jan 12, 2009

Bottle from River's Bend.

A - Poured a clear dark brown color with an average frothy brown head that mostly lasted with good lacing.

S- Moderate toasted malt aroma.

T - Medium toasted bittersweet flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

M - Medium body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation.

D - My expectations where met but average for style.

tmoneyba, Jan 11, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

(22oz bomber in an oversized wine glass)

I love Zappa.
I love Lagunitas.
I love the 40th Anniv. releases, so far..

Just couldn't get my head around this one though.

Don't get me wrong, its good... Decent molasses/maple/mahogany color. Thin, yet present layer of caramel colored head (probably due to the wine glass). Mouthfeel starts a bit lacking, but finishes with a nice peppery spiciness to lift off the mid-back palate. And taste? Deep dark roasted fig, molasses...I almost get a Mother's Brand Oatmeal Cookie (ya know...with the vanilla icing).

However, considering I've loved the style choices for the last several releases (Brown Ale for "Lumpy Gravy" and a triple for "We're Only In It for the Money"), I think this one comes up a tad short.

"BoppaDoAyDoo Style Ale"? I can see it. But I think that considering the FZ quote on the bottle, " ...I would do anything just to sing the songs that was turning me on in high school," I think it would've been cool to get a sessionable lager of some sort...something we all started with in school, kinda embracing the rebellious 50's youth the album nostalgically reflects.

I know, not the point of the review, but if you're gonna pair the beer with the experience of listening to the album, I think you have to take that into account. Don't get me wrong, its a GREAT beer...I just think they didn't quite nail it on the head with this one. That being said, I'm still hanging on the edge of glass waiting for the next release, Uncle Meat.

LAST 5 SIPS EDIT: Definitely better as it warms. Finally getting some chocolate and pepperiness. Still rate it a B, but its really really really drinkable..deceptively so.

bovinecrusader, Jan 11, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance - Deep mahogany with a thin tan head. Very little lacing on the glass.

Smell - Roasted chocolate malts and molasses and somewhat reminiscent of an oatmeal-chocolate chip cookie. Very mild alcohol note, very dissimilar to most imperial stouts of its type.

Taste - Roasted chocolate and coffee notes.

Mouthfeel - Somewhat thin for the style, not as chewy as I hoped for. Finishes remarkably crisp for a beer this type.

Drinkability - Enjoyable and drinkable; does not pack the wallop of other imperial stouts.

Overall it doesn't live up to some of the big west coast stouts like Shakespeare or the Stone Imperial, but it's good for the style. Nice little dessert beer.

BWMKappaSig, Jan 10, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a nice coal black into my Duvel tulip glass. Aggressive pour produces a nice thick finger and a half of dark brown foamy head. Lots of little carbonation bubbles in the drink and head.

Smells like coffee, chocolate and roasted malts. The scent is not strong on this brew, it's subtle and understated.

Tastes a lot like it smells, but the taste gets better as the beer warms up.

Feels a bit thinner than what I expect from an Imperial Stout. Nice carbonation, but the body is a little thin.

Very easy to drink stout. What I really like about this brew is the drinkability. For a brew with 8.6% ABV, there is no alcohol burn. Many Imperial's have too much of the astringent alcohol taste in them, this one tastes smooth.

Overall a good drink from an excellent brewery.

AgingWarrior, Jan 09, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -29.5%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a dark murky brown with a light tan head, good lacing all around.

S: Smell is striking and good. Creamed coffee, molasses, sweet pine notes.

T: Cloyingly sweet, big old molasses note, and fermented prune (which I didn't particularly care for). No real bitterness from the malt or hops to balance, like malt syrup.

M: Mouthfeel isn't bad aside from the heavy sweetness. Light carbonation, relatively full feel.

D: While Kill Ugly Radio was outstanding, the last 2 Zappa inspired beers have been mis-steps from this pretty good brewery. Hopefully the next one will be better.

Halcyondays, Jan 09, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +22.8%

I love the folks a Lagunitas. They are, for the lack of a better word, Nutjobs. C'mon, a series of beers named after Frank Zappa albums??? I thought I was weird!!...Now to the beer:

22oz BOMBER: In a pint glass

APPEARANCE: Poured heavy and dark...slightly ominous since the label tells you nothing about the beer you are about to drink aside from the fact that its ABV is 8.6%.

SMELL: Strong of coffee and chocolate but appealing.

TASTE: My first sip is more chocolate than coffee but both come through nicely...I like it.

MOUTHFEEL: This is my toughest category for any beer. I would say that it is not as creamy as some porters (it is a porter isn't it?) but I like that.

DRINKABILITY: Not my usual choice of beer. I'm a hop/red head (literally), but I really enjoyed this beer.

RAMBLING ON: It probably didn't hurt that I also bought Cursing with Ruben and the Jets on vinyl in 1969. With 30+ albums under his belt, God only know what Lagunitas will do with albums like like "Uncle Meat", "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" and "Burnt Weeny Sandwich"...Long Live Frank Zappa...Long Live Lagunitas

END of BOTTLE UPDATE: (20 minutes afer writing the review above)Seemed to get more chocolatly near the end as it warmed up. Not a bad thing but might affect my choice as to when I would consume during an evening of beers.

Taylor88, Jan 07, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

This poured a very dark ruby with a bit of tan head. It smelled like roasted coffee and milk chocolate, with some molasses and a bit of alcohol. It tasted mostly like sweet milk chocolate and roasted coffee, with some molasses and a bit of bitter copper hops. It was fairly thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a bittersweet aftertaste. Overall this had a very nice clean flavor, though nothing exciting. It had great body too, and hid the alcohol decently. This was nice and sweet, which made it quite easy to drink for a double stout. Not sure how well it would age, but it's great fresh, so why bother waiting?

Pencible, Jan 05, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Less opaque than I expected, with a decent mocha-colored head and some thinner clumps of lacing.

Smell: Chocolate malts and toasted flavors, with a bit of roasted coffee and some diacetyl and buttery aromas.

Taste: What lacks mostly here is the finish, as the flavors seem like they're going to continue on and... they don't die, but they don't linger as long as they should. Still, as it warms the flavors seem to meld a bit more, with good roasted malt notes, mild coffee, and honey and molasses. A bit sweeter than many, which maybe takes away from some of the roasted and malty depth, but it's still pretty pleasant all around.

Mouthfeel: Could be a bit creamier with more carbonation, as it seems a bit slick and watery, though it's nothing that takes much away from everything else.

Drinkability: Another worthwhile brew from Lagunitas. I say it always and too much, but I love their love of experimentation, and I'll always buy their new stuff. Because of the sweetness, this would also be a good stout to let someone try who hasn't tried a lot. Keep the Zappa series rolling, ya'll.

asabreed, Jan 04, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

01/01/09- Purchased at Safeway in San Mateo, CA. $2.99 sale price tag.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, new late 2008 release poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Kind of a mix between deep brown and lighter black. About a 1/2 inch light brown head on the pour with some light lines and streaks of lace.

Smell- Roasted malts, some chocolate malt notes, maybe a hint of coffee. Note a huge nose, but nice.

Taste- Middle of the road roasted malt..not to deep, just about right. Hops are mild and lightly bitter. Nice lighter chocolate flavor mingling throughout.

Mouthfeel- Medium thickness and mouthfeel with a medium carbonation level. Light hoppy aftertaste.

Drinkability- I think a lot of people aren't looking at the 8% abv and aren't giving this beer it's true props. It's not supposed to be as heavy as Stone or Alesmith. For what it is, it's a very nice beer with good flavor and drinkability. One of the better lower abv Double Stouts I have had in a while. Good job Lagunitas.

GClarkage, Jan 02, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

pours a very dark brown, nearly black, only the faintest light shows through around the edges. thin brown head with fair retention, good lacing.
aroma is of malty sweet bread, a nice amount of hops to the nose as well.
tastes very malty, black coffee, caramel, pine. not amazing, but not bad either.
mouthfeel is quite nice. a medium body but very silky.
overall its drinkable, and definitely a good value, but I am not going to run out and stock up on this one. maybe I needed to know the album to fully enjoy it.

JoshuaCain, Dec 31, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours dark brown, opaque, with ruby edges. No real head, more of an oily ring of tan bubbles on top. Decent, sticky lacing. Low-lying aroma of chocolate, stale coffee, and nuts; yet, not in a good or strong way like Chock Full O Nuts. Flat mouthfeel and taste. Thin for the style. A helping of nuts comes with an herbal/earthy pepper and fruit flavor. The fruit is old or overripe cherry or berries, and does not go well with the pepper and holiday spice. For some reason, the malt does not take control of this beer. I can taste the cocoa and caramel, as well as a roasted grain flavor, but it just lies there on your tongue.

Overall, this beer is a bunch of flavors that doesn't go well. And, in no way is this an Imperial Stout. Its thin, its nutty, its a mess.

magictrokini, Dec 31, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

A-Is a clear, dark, cola color with a light tan head. It's not totally black and you can see through it when held to a light. Leaves light lacing.
S-Is a light, roasted malt smell and a hint of coffee.
T-Is of overly roasted malt, some alcohol before it warms up and a little bit of spiciness. There's also some bitterness or something not quite right in the taste at the end.
M-Is medium to thin-not what I would expect from an Imperial Stout.
D-Is also not what I would expect, being not the most pleasant IS out there.

I was hoping to like this better than other reviewers but I have to agree with a lot of their comments. I do like many Lagunitas beers but this one, not so much, especially for what it should be. It's not bad, but not one of their better brews. There's too much "light" not enough "ooomph".

meatyard, Dec 30, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 12/22/08. Bottle. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of roasted malt and sweet dark fruits. Flavor of apple cider, bready malts, with a sweet (fruity sweet not sugary sweet) finish. Not as roasted as a typical stout, this sort of reminds me of a doppelbock. Pretty tasty though. I often find that Lagunitas beers are either a hit or a miss, and this one was a hit!
7/4/8/4/14 (3.7/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 29, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

22oz bomber into 20oz stemless snifter. First twist-off 22oz bottle that I can recall seeing.

Pitch black, although the shape of the glass creates some interesting areas of glowing ruby red. One finger light tan head that settles to a thin rim along the glass.

Delicate burnt malt aromas. Very light.

The roasted malts are very subtle in the flavor as well, mixed with a little bit of dark fruit. In the background is a flavor I can't quite put my finger on - slightly acerbic and reminds me of the tart flavors of a plum. Possibly something from the hops, which are otherwise unnoticed. Full bodied.

I found this Imperial Stout somewhat average along with some odd flavors. While somewhat drinkable (no acerbic flavors, over-the-top hops, or fusel alcohol) it just doesn't have the complexity or deep malt flavors I would like.

BeerSox, Dec 29, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a decent black with a bit of garnet around the edges. Slight head quickly fades to nothing.
Smell is a bit of coffee, just a hint of chocolate malt.
Taste is very mild, just a hint of coffee and chocolate to support the smell. Slight hop presence but not enough to really identify. There's a slight metallic twang in the finish.
Very thin feel, slightly carbonated.
Lacks in anything outstanding. Not that stouts have to be outstanding in any area but being listed as a double stout, I expected a lot more.

kirok1999, Dec 28, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Light black with ruby edges. Big tan head with decent lacing

S - a small dose of coffee with a background of hops. very interesting.

T - sweet coffee but not overwhelming. I heard this had a pepper taste but I do not detect that at all. Like a muted Cappuccino Stout.

M - Thin just like Cappuccino Stout. I like my Double/Imperial Stouts to have a bit more body

D - I would have a few more.

xhcadamx, Dec 26, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Everyone will eventually find a decent beer that just isn't for them. This is it for me. I don't like giving this beer a bad review - but I need to so I can remember what I thought of it :P.

Hops comes through the smell, as well as dark nutty chocolate coffee. Drink is spicy, with coffee nuttyness.

Taste is, erhm, nutty, spicy, the smell comes through in the taste and there's just something in the smell I'm not digging. I think that's really what is killing the taste for me.

The ABV is fairly well hidden, 8.6%, it tastes more like 6%.

I can see why people would enjoy this beer, and I respect that, but it is just not for me.

cadenwhitaker, Dec 24, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

22oz bottle.

Poured a deeper reddish-brown color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of chocolate, toasted grains, and some white pepperiness. Tastes of chocolate, lighter coffee, some dark fruits the same lighter pepperiness, and some caramel. A littler different and interesting. Some lacing left on the glass.

hopdog, Dec 23, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

22 oz. poured into Darkness goblet

Appearance: Pours a dark brown/red. Pretty light in color as far as imperial stouts go. In the glass it's dark brown but semi-translucent.

Smell: Lots of nut aroma (hazelnut mostly) then chocolate, brown sugar, and slight coffee.

Taste: Way more roast flavor than the smell. Bitter chocolate/coffee right off the bat with a very subtle citrus hop background but unfortunately finishes with a metallic twang.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied for the style but not bad.

Drinkability: It somehow is a bit cloying even though it's not very sweet or thick. Sipped this one but didn't feel like I had to.

Overall: To me this brew seems more like an imperial brown ale or something of the sort. In comparison to all the other imperial stouts I've tried this is definitely the lightest in body/color/flavor. It wasn't bad but I was hoping to have more of a crazy imperial stout experience from Lagunitas.

optiontwo, Dec 21, 2008

This beer pours a nice tan head giving way to ring around the collar. Cloudy, almost murky dark brown with red highlights. Sticky icky sugars slide down the glass.

Complex deep smell of roasted coffee, chocolate, like the sweet sounds of the drifters waffing in on a cool breeze.

Sweet chocolatey taste with some brown sugar thrown in. Like a cross between a double brown ale and a full bodied porter. Unlike Cheech thought, this beer was not bigger than Ruben and the Jets.

Little thin for a double, but better than lumpy gravy. Three gold teeth and one glass eye, leave your cheap thrills on the car seat.

Murchmac, Dec 21, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +26%

Very dark, red-black color, with a slow, but boistrous head (it overtopped my glass) - dark tan to brown in color. Mild but full, deeply-roasted malty nose. Faintly reminiscent of a Belgian Dubbel. Huge, full body. Full, slightly tart, fruity (cherry) flavor. Deeply roasted, with deep tootsie roll and chocolate tones. Very pleasant and Christmas-ey. Leaves a broad sheet of clingy lace in the glass. The label says it's a hefty 8.6% abv. Brewed in honor of the 40th anniversary of the album of the same name by Frank Zappa. Delicious and very soothing. Savory. Deeply roasted, but not harshly so. Malt predominates but there is a slight counterpoint of spicy, aromatic hops. At just $3.99 for a 22 fl. oz. bottle, this is a superb value!

Beerman3000, Dec 21, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a 1/4" tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a warm chocolate and roasted malt scent that's not overly aromatic, but more subtle. The taste is good. It has a rich, malty flavor that boasts of pale and chocolate malts. It has a mild black malt bitterness with a warm finish. The malt bill doesn't seem to be very complex, but it's still a tastey beer. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an above average beer. I was expecting more, but it's still quite enjoyable. Cheers!

WesWes, Dec 21, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

$3.99 for a bomber at Whole Foods/Bowery/NYC. Looks like a porter, dark tan head leaves light ringed lacing. Roasted malt, vanilla and light coffee in the nose. Tasty stout, kinda light flavor wise and body wise for the Double stout designation. Notes of cafe au lait, chocolate milk shake, light milk chocolate. Easy drinking, pleasand enough stuff. Sort of a beginner stout/Double stout with training wheels.

Billolick, Dec 19, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -36.9%

3.99/22

porterish appearance, mega-lacing. smells like fortified coffee grounds and tap water. skinny body, what they call chocolate flavor comes off as a metallic, dirt-laden burnt-malt presence. no signs of peppercorns anywhere, disappointing. warmth brings an uneven sweetness, like maple syrup sweetened sanka. aftertaste on every other sip is super metallic.. iron shavings floating listlessly in a sea of decaf douwe egberts. this is the worst zappa beer that lagunitas has put out, hands down. the only thing this beer has going for it is an unnoticeable 8.6%, which i would be inclined to question. for $4, you've got to expect a stinker now and then.

goodbyeohio, Dec 16, 2008