Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

ABV varies slightly from 9.0 to 9.8
66.6 IBU
Reviews: 947 | Hads: 3,932
4.9/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lagunitas makes several really fine beers, and Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale is one of their best. UISDA has a high (9.3%) alcohol content, but the flavor of this beer, with pine and citrus notes exploding on your tongue, overwhelms the alcohol content, making it ideal for a warm summer evening. (305 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +21.7%

One of, if not the best beer I have had in the past 6 months. I have nothing bad to say about it. Also great with food (I had it with some steak). The story behind it is what got my attention and I knew I had to try it. The taste is not too hoppy, but its presence is definitely there. Color is a rich amber red, with a good frothy head. Please try this beer, its worth it! (373 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +21.7%

This is one of my top 5 special releases of the season. Beautiful golden-red color. Good nose-not overly fruity; just wonderful ( I wish they made hops air freshener!) Let it get nice and warm as the flavor comes out so much better. Just the right balance of hops and malt to make it a great sipper. Alcohol is well hidden if cold, but when you let it warm you will feel it bite your tongue a bit. Beware, have only one or you'll need a lawyer for your DUI. My favorite ale-bar none. Question for Lagunitas: Why am I just getting this in late July when it was released in April? (578 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +20.2%

F*ck You.. this beer is good. real good. no beer snob here. Just a hardcore IPA head. This one was legendary in status. Longest lingering aftertaste of all time and it was lavender.. silky smooth..
Sweet, mighty tasty DIPA. Better than Maximus. Closest in taste and quality of Double Jack by Firestone..

Serving type: bottle (325 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +20.2%

A: Pours a dark brownish red color. 1/2" white head moderately gives way to a thin white ring. Nice lacing.

S: I don't want to do this right now.

T: Malty base. Citrus hops jump in. Then they jump in again. Barely any bitterness at the end. Followed up with a very sweet grape taste. I was doing double takes. I really feel like this one has taken me somewhere I've never been before.

M: Like a Double IPA. Bold to heavy.

D: This is so smooth. I don't reccomend making a night of it. But do it anyway.

S: Ok. I'm ready. This is the most inticing beer that I have ever smelled. I am not going to try to explain it. Just smell it. I was so taken by the smell, I actually inhaled some.

I think that this may be my favorite beer to date. It was given to me by my daughters boyfriend. I was not expecting to even have a beer tonight. Lagunitus keeps one-uping themselves. This is a beer that other brewers mighjt have taken too far. Lagunitus has found the proper balance. (973 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

After a recommendation from Rob at my local brew store I grabbed a sic pack of this Imperial. Wow, I own him a beer. This beer is the perfect summer Imperial IPA, maintaining the bite of an Imperial but still maintains a very crisp taste that goes down easy in the humid heat of the south.

I'm sad to see this beer as a "special release". (339 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured dark amber/honey colored into a tulip glass with a thick foamy head and moderate lacing on the side of the glass. Strong citrus and slightly piney odor. Citrusy malty flavor at the beginning, followed by a slight piney hoppy finish. It leaves slight hoppy aftertaste but not much. It goes down very smooth and hides the alcohol content very well. Very well balanced beer. Very good. Be careful because it is definitely not a session beer. (445 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +19%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a clear copper color with a two finger head and very nice lacing.

S: Lots of pine and citrus hops along with some sweet malts. Very inviting nose.

T: Not quite as hop heavy as the nose suggests, but still very appealing to a hop head like myself. There is an excellent malt balance to complement the hop profile. Alcohol is not noticeable at all.

M: Medium bodied with ample carbonation.

O: This is an almost perfect example of what an American Strong Ale can be. Super tasty, very smooth, and plenty of alcohol with almost none detectable. Well done Lagunitas!! (615 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +19%

From the moment you pour this beer, you know it's going to be a bit different. The amber color, the off-white creamy/thick head, the sweet yet hoppy nose... And then the taste! It's not at all like an IPA in my opinion, no way - IPAs smack your taste buds with piney resin flavors and bitterness and this is sweet. Malty, mellow sweetness with a touch of hops and alcohol to balance it out. To me, this beer is THE perfect balance of malt, hop and alcohol. I could drink a lot of these (if I could only get my hands on more of 'em). (532 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at the Pig & fiddle.
L: Pours brilliant garnet tinted amber under a 1” white foam cap that provides light lace.
S: Citrus, spice, malt. T: Spicy with a cola sweetness that dries out on the finish. Moderate hop bitterness is rounded and not harsh.
F: Medium to medium full body and medium to medium low carbonation. Silky smooth.
O: An easy to drink beer at a good price. (387 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

A: It has a great dark copper color, with lots of visible carbonation. It's brilliantly transparent, and has a long-standing eggshell white head. There is nothing bad to say about it.

S: Lots of hop character. I get a strong resinous scent of hops, with a tad of citrus character. There is a slight malty scent as well, but not strong. Once again, out of the ballpark...perfect scent.

T: Lots of hop character, but not overly bitter. Extremely well balanced character between the hops and malt flavor. I'm drinking this on the East Coast, and I've had it refrigerated for at least a month or so...so it could just be that it has had a lot of time to age. Lots of pine character, with very light citrus. It's near perfect. Zero alcohol flavor, despite the high ABV.

M: The mouthfeel is great. It's not too bitter or punchy, but it has enough zing to let you know it's still there. Great feeling while drinking it though...I hardly noticed that half a glass was gone. It's a very easy drinker, and near perfect.

O: Overall I gave this a 5, because this is a great tasting beer. I was very surprised at how good it is. I bought it only because of the cool story behind it, not realizing how good of a beer it could potentially be. I really enjoyed this one! (1,258 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Strong malt and tropical fruits...Really at a loss for words for how good this ale is. I've rated 211 beers so far and this is easily in the top ten. Cheers! (157 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +18%

I'm not a beer expert or beer brewer, just a beer drinker. But I'm 63 years old and have consumed a few beers. So I hope my review won't be deleted automatically on the grounds of "insufficient detail".

I just wanted to say that I tried my first-ever glass of this ale last week, and the thought instantly hit me that Undercover Shut-Down is the absolute best beer I've ever drank.

It tasted so wonderful and full -- and without being heavy -- that I found myself extending the experience by taking a drink of the beer and letting it sit in my mouth for five or ten seconds before swallowing it. After that swallow, I took a drink of water to clear the beer's taste from my mouth as much as possible just so that the next drink of the Undercover would hit my senses as powerfully as the first drink had.

The parallel I would draw is that Undercover Shut-Down is to the best beers I've had previously, as a fine single-malt Scotch whiskey is to domestic rotgut whiskeys. Undercover, to me, tasted this good. It is a beer to be savored in the same way that a fine Scotch would be sipped.

I'm visiting Boise, Idaho for six months. Before going home to Kansas I hope to find a supply of Undercover somewhere so that I can share it with my buddies in Kansas. Sorry for the absence of tech talk in this review; all I know is that this is a very fine beer that greatly appealed to me. At the restaurant where my son and I enjoyed this beer, as (bad) luck would have it we were served the last two glasses they had before the keg ran out. Broke our hearts. I hope the restaurant reloads soon. (1,588 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +17.7%

Deep orange/amber body. White head fed by decent carbonation.

Very sticky sweet malt, with some pineapple, mango, and apricot coming in as well. Lots of tropical fruits and honey malt.

Now this is the definition of sticky sweet tropical fruits. Lemons be damned, this is all pineapple all the way. I get a bit of mango and apricots as well. insanely dry-hopped, and so very well done. Almost tasted randallized. This is perfect dry-hopping for me. All fruit, with a bit of resin and dank-ness floating around in the back late. Its just so sticky, sweet, and tropical.

Feel syrupy, and no bitterness at all. Beautiful beer from a brewery that knows how to dry hop! (666 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Hazy honey colored with some amber and orange highlights. Dense creamy two finger head with some retention but lots of foamy lacing. Good amount of tiny bubbles streaming upwards. Quite a good looking beer

Aroma: Citrus and pine hops. Some fruity sweetness almost like grape juice. Grapefruit. Biscuity

Taste: Follows the nose but I was honestlyh expecting a bigger hop profile. Definitely grapefruit and pine for the hops with a little bit of orange or coriander. A good amount of sweetness in the mid palate with some hints of banana. There's some nice breadiness and a hint of spice followed by a very refreshing finish. The hops are present every step of the way but are never overpowering. As for the alcohol, you certainly could have fooled me. Not a trace. Fantastically balanced.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly crisp and refreshing. Big and nicely carbonated. Wet

Overall: Fantastic. Expertly balanced. Not the hop-bomb I was expecting but that's not a bad thing at all. Its a shame this is a limited release because I would get this all the time otherwise. If you see it you should grab it (1,107 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

They keep doing it, I have reviewed a few now by this brewery. At first I had a few that I was not impressed at all about, but the more I keep trying them lately it was me or I was getting older batches, something. Maybe I should revisit them. Although, I have found that breweries that do great ales and IPA's don't make the best lagers or pilsner's. The one I hit hard was the Pils, anyway, to this one, it was amazing. The hops was there, for sure, but it was so well balanced. It was in the same line as the Sucks, of which I have one or two left, so I may do a comparison. Anyway, the color was nice reddish brown and the aroma was magnificent. So far this is my favorite Cali brewery for sure, I need to revisit Stone, as I have been hearing a lot about the Enjoy by series, anyway, this one is awesome, not much to complain about here. Just go find some! (861 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an amazing brew! Pours a beautiful dark amber color with a nice thick white head. Lots of lacing on the glass as you sip. As looks go you can't do better then this, once poured you won't be able to wait to sip this brew. The high abv isn't unbalanced in the taste of this brew. It has a nice hop flavor but not over board. Very smooth drinking with a slight dryness. Very clean on the palate, it's not heavy or in your face but full bodied and flavorful. The smell is pleasant. The hop comes thru on the smell big time. This is an awesome brew, I had it a while back but never rated it so was waiting to try again before rating. Lagunitas hit this one out of the park as far as this beer drinkers concerned. :) (718 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This has to be one of my favorites from lagunitas such a well crafted beer and so many great flavors. Lagunitas never disappoints me. I'm a huge fan of sucks, hop stoopid, brown sugga, and and all the little sumpin ales but this one is the one I've been looking for. (266 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +17%

Picked up a 6 pack of this a week or so ago and am on my 5th bottle, so I figured it was about time to review it. Poured in to a Lucifer tulip.

A- Deep red/mahogany. Dark enough not be able to see through clearly. More orange when looking straight down into the glass. Poured with a small off-white head that quickly disappeared.

S- Sweet citrus hops, very much like grapefruit. Some alcohol later.

T- Starts with a very nice citrus/hops flavor. Reminds me a lot of grapefruit. The hops drop off quickly for a nice sweet, malty finish that is not too strong. Really, really well balanced. Starts off with the nice hoppy punch followed by the sweet finish which is not overpowering at all.

M- Medium bodied. Smooth with some light carbonation. There is a mild and pleasant prickly alcohol burn present if it warms up that much.

D- Very nice! I like this one a lot. The flavor is balanced so nicely between the citrusy hops at the start and the mellow sweetness of the finish. I could drink this all the time. (1,012 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: a nice tight vanilla colored beer head of thick foam the tight head slowly loosened up the more it sat around. The color of this beer is a copper brown with a hint of red.

Smell: Got a nice 3 quick sniffs of this and got all hops baby just the way i like it.

Taste: Took the first drink and WOW!!! That's bitter lots of great hops used in this beer making. what stood out for me was the after taste somewhat of a grape fruity after taste. I never tasted that before so I'm not sure what the exact ingredients are but it is some berries or similar.

Overall: all and all this is a pretty good ale maybe a dipa melody to it. (638 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

A - Great Darker brown/amber look, great lacing.

S - Smells of malts/hops/alcohol.

T - Taste has a deep malty/sweet/alcohol thing close to a strong ale of some sort.

M - Goes down easy for a 9%'er, great aftertaste of robust'ness. Good medium carbonation.

O - Overall its a good strong ale, close to an arrogant bastard but not as hopped up/bitter, has a taste of its own... great brew! (391 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

On cask at Kickbacks Gastropub in Jax. Poured into a Unibroue tulip. Poured vigorously with little head, very little lacing but resinous hop juiciness is clearly noted sliding all over the glass. Aroma is of some malt sweetness, some alcohol and a ton of goddamned hop goodness. Taste is a touch hot (this cask is quite young and fresh, where the increased heat is balanced out by increased hop freshness). Taste of sweet, caramel malts and all kinds of hop flavors stylin and profilin'. As good as the bottled/kegged version but as usual, just a little something extra on the cask pour. Over the top Lagunitas liquid awesomeness.... (633 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This strong ale certainly lived up to its billing. There was very nice lacing left in the glass and the flavor was certainly complex. This was billed as a bitter ale but I feel that they did a great job of balancing the bitterness with other flavors that allowed for easier drinkability. I did notice that this left a pleasant sticky mouthfeel that made you feel like you were drinking something that was well made. I also enjoyed that this ale was high alcohol without hitting you over the head with it. Would definitely look for this ale again. (546 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

My Bottle says Limited Release so perhaps theyll make it a seasonal release.

Didn't taste as strong as the ABV would suggest. Went down cold & smooth. Two finger head which is what I look for and the head stayed for a while.

Another selection that I bought one bottle of in my Make Your Own 6 Pack emporium. Will definitely pick up a few more next time (354 characters)

Drank from a 22 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA

Poured a medium amber-mahognay with a frothy, rocky, two-finger, light tan head that slowly faded to a clingy film. Definitely much darker than your average DIPA. Copious amounts of sticky lacing coated the glass.

The aroma was outrageously sweet, malty and fruity, with some hops trailing in the background. Super caramel rich with brown sugar, maple syrup and a touch of oak.

The taste was rich and flavorful yet smooth, supple and extremely well-balanced for the style. Rich bready malts were apparent up front. A nutty, oakiness appearing mid-palate, along with peaches, apricots and ripe tropical fruits. The beer turned from being sweet and malty on the front end to crisp and hoppy on the finish. Piney, orangey, spicy hops came out strong, lasting into the bracing, semi-bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied yet fairly smooth and creamy.

Drinkability was simply off the charts. Between the extraordinarily well balanced nature of this brew and the barely noticeable 9.28% ABV, this beer went down like candy.

Is there a more sessionable DIPA out there? Probably not. Should this beer even be classfied as a DIPA? Probably not. It characteristics are more akin to that of a barleywine or a strong ale. But no matter how one may choose to describe it, it's a damn fine brew. (1,372 characters)

Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company