Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

American Strong Ale |  9.70% ABV

Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-10-2009

ABV varies slightly from 9.0 to 9.8
66.6 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale Alström Bros

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

For such a high percentage beer it was nice body and a good taste. For me it wasn't to0 sweet or thick. Hoppiness was just fine with an IBU of 66? damn good.

I'm a big IPA fan. I like barley wines usually only on tap. This is somewhere in between an ipa and a barley wine.

High ratings from a west coast beach native.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Awesome beer. Super sweet and malty. Lot like Rodeo Clown from Karbach.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Served on tap at Mellow Mushroom in Orlando Fl.

A- Jurassic park amber, only a little darker, little to no lacing down to a bubble.
S- Grapefruit, pine, nutmeg or cinnamon. More woodsy than anything.
T- Unbelievably well balanced, hops intensify as they move to the back of the palette but meet perfectly with their piney brethren to finish warm but not too intense.
M- Only thing I had a problem with, felt a little cheap, too thin, not enough substance.
O- Absolutely phenomenal, a little thicker bodied I might put it in my hall of fame.

2.75/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours an amber color with a medium head that leaves nice lacing. Good head retention.

Smell: Huge candy aroma along with alcohol (this smells like 9+% if not more), caramel, and orange. There's a lot going on, but the aromas don't work well together.

Taste: Again, there's a lot of flavors, but they don't blend well. This tastes way too sweet while being moderately bitter, and the alcohol seeps through. I find that oftentimes strong ales will be very sweet so as to cover up the alcohol, but this doesn't happen here. There's some fruit and brown sugar going on.

Mouthfeel: Chewy, thick, and slightly undercarbonated. This doesn't make things any better.

Overall: I absolutely appreciate the effort to make a unique beer (that's why I seek out craft beers in the first place), but this really is tough to drink given the out of control sweetness. There are some good flavors here too, but the alcohol and candy flavors just squash everything for me.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hadn't seen this one, but if it's from Lagunitas I'll give it a go. Poured into a pint-sized wide mouth Ball jar.

A: A clear, dark red with a billowy, cream-colored head. The lacing is extra sticky.

S: I get a lot of sweetness (i.e. caramel, brown sugar) with a hint of grassy hops.

T: I don't know if I've had anything like this; a 'sweet' IPA. Not citrusy sweet, but sugary. Good hops (spice/pine) backbone, and a warming sensation of 9.7% ABV.

M: I'd vote medium to oily, but that's to be expected with so much booze.

D: Max would be two. I would compare it to eating more than one bowl of ice cream; too much sweetness can cause damage...

3.25/5  rDev -20%

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

I totally don't know what to make of this beer. I couldn't stand it the first time I tried it, on tap at the great SF beer bar, Monk's Kettle. Now it's a nice looking, clear, brownish amber into a tulip glass with a huge bright white head and great retention.

The aroma brings a tinny tartness, laying over some sweet malt . . .

In the mouth it's sweet and quite bitter, at once. But it's a strange, tart bitterness. I can't stop thinking of iodine and tin can. There's a sweetness that many reviews call "brown sugar", but I can't go with that descriptor. It's not caramel, either. It's some kind of sweet, exotic fruit, if anything. And that indefinable bitterness continues to haunt me. I think I like this! (But I'm not sure...)

Fairly stiff carbonation cuts the creamy texture perfectly.

I think I"ll buy this again. Got this out of the singles cooler, hoping to put the question to rest. Ha! It wasn't for lack of effort on my part.

Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company