Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.70% ABV

ABV varies slightly from 9.0 to 9.8
66.6 IBU

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-10-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Undercover Investigation Shut-down Ale Alström Bros
adrian21

04-13-2014 00:14:56 | More by MaddDogg84
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.96/5  rDev +22.2%

Poured this beer in a pint glass. Dark Copper color almost reddish. smells hoppish and the taste is irresistable as i i have known from the other two from this brewery. Goes down smooth for its abv and ibu and o.g. cant say enough about this beer worth trying. another 2 thumbs up

04-30-2014 14:53:03 | More by yuenglingfan101
dctrscola3

Wisconsin

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

This is my first review ever. I have had 100s of craft beers, but am truely inspired by this beer, so am writing a review.

A - Suprisingly amber for a strong ale, with almost a hint of orange. Head - a little weak for this type of beer, and not enough lacing. Crystal clear.

S - The overall bouquet is strong, considering the clarity of the appearance, and lack of head. I was instantly struck by a maltiness, but was soon overcome by citrusy hops reminiscent of an IPA. There were also lingering notes of pine.

T - In classic Lagunitas style, hops dominate the taste. Especially with that classic citrus ping in the back of my mouth. However, this time, there is a nice sugary carmel in the front. Nothing that lingers in a sticky way, but a clean sweetness up front which contrasts nicely with the bitterness on the sides of the tongue.

M - The big shock of this beer...CRISP!!! Can't believe this is an American Strong Ale. I could easily take this out in the sun on a hot summer day. Though there is a definate body here, it is light through the palate and...see below...

D - Devilishly easy to drink. Perfect balance has no potential for "overkill" in any area. Lagunitas has crafted one of there most balanced and drinkable brews yet!

04-26-2010 00:14:31 | More by dctrscola3
BurgeoningBrewhead

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured into becker. Golden-orange, the color of honey, with a moderately thick white head made of dense foam with visible carbonation rising. Smells similar to Sucks, but with less of the spicy/pungent hops; this smells like mango and pineapple, with the herbal pungent hop scent only ghosting in at the end. Taste is smooth at first, but quite bitter in the mouth, but the bitterness is washed away by the sweet finish upon swallowing. Then, the bitter aftertaste lingers, begging you to take another sip. This is a complex and incredibly well-balanced beer. The interplay between the flavors is amazing. The mouthfeel is medium, but slick.

05-01-2013 17:48:02 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead
irongator

Kansas

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

This is one of my top 5 special releases of the season. Beautiful golden-red color. Good nose-not overly fruity; just wonderful ( I wish they made hops air freshener!) Let it get nice and warm as the flavor comes out so much better. Just the right balance of hops and malt to make it a great sipper. Alcohol is well hidden if cold, but when you let it warm you will feel it bite your tongue a bit. Beware, have only one or you'll need a lawyer for your DUI. My favorite ale-bar none. Question for Lagunitas: Why am I just getting this in late July when it was released in April?

07-24-2012 11:06:01 | More by irongator
challenja

4.83/5  rDev +19%

F*ck You.. this beer is good. real good. no beer snob here. Just a hardcore IPA head. This one was legendary in status. Longest lingering aftertaste of all time and it was lavender.. silky smooth..
Sweet, mighty tasty DIPA. Better than Maximus. Closest in taste and quality of Double Jack by Firestone..

05-14-2011 18:23:26 | More by challenja
drlumps62

4.83/5  rDev +19%

A: Pours a dark brownish red color. 1/2" white head moderately gives way to a thin white ring. Nice lacing.

S: I don't want to do this right now.

T: Malty base. Citrus hops jump in. Then they jump in again. Barely any bitterness at the end. Followed up with a very sweet grape taste. I was doing double takes. I really feel like this one has taken me somewhere I've never been before.

M: Like a Double IPA. Bold to heavy.

D: This is so smooth. I don't reccomend making a night of it. But do it anyway.

S: Ok. I'm ready. This is the most inticing beer that I have ever smelled. I am not going to try to explain it. Just smell it. I was so taken by the smell, I actually inhaled some.

I think that this may be my favorite beer to date. It was given to me by my daughters boyfriend. I was not expecting to even have a beer tonight. Lagunitus keeps one-uping themselves. This is a beer that other brewers mighjt have taken too far. Lagunitus has found the proper balance.

04-17-2009 03:53:24 | More by drlumps62
RiverRatJoe47

Kansas

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

I'm not a beer expert or beer brewer, just a beer drinker. But I'm 63 years old and have consumed a few beers. So I hope my review won't be deleted automatically on the grounds of "insufficient detail".

I just wanted to say that I tried my first-ever glass of this ale last week, and the thought instantly hit me that Undercover Shut-Down is the absolute best beer I've ever drank.

It tasted so wonderful and full -- and without being heavy -- that I found myself extending the experience by taking a drink of the beer and letting it sit in my mouth for five or ten seconds before swallowing it. After that swallow, I took a drink of water to clear the beer's taste from my mouth as much as possible just so that the next drink of the Undercover would hit my senses as powerfully as the first drink had.

The parallel I would draw is that Undercover Shut-Down is to the best beers I've had previously, as a fine single-malt Scotch whiskey is to domestic rotgut whiskeys. Undercover, to me, tasted this good. It is a beer to be savored in the same way that a fine Scotch would be sipped.

I'm visiting Boise, Idaho for six months. Before going home to Kansas I hope to find a supply of Undercover somewhere so that I can share it with my buddies in Kansas. Sorry for the absence of tech talk in this review; all I know is that this is a very fine beer that greatly appealed to me. At the restaurant where my son and I enjoyed this beer, as (bad) luck would have it we were served the last two glasses they had before the keg ran out. Broke our hearts. I hope the restaurant reloads soon.

07-18-2010 00:53:06 | More by RiverRatJoe47
Svyturys30

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I had this beer out of a bottle poured into a snifter. This beer was aged about a year before it was broken out to enjoy. I thought that this beer was excellent and I hope to enjoy more of it at some point soon!

A-This beer is a darker orange/light brown appearance, almost like a new castle.

S- The smell is one of roasted grains and a bit of fruit

T- The taste was very mellow and wasn't hot at all. I was bummed when the bottle was finished!

M- Was a light viscosity and it felt light on the palate.

O- I thought this beer was outstanding and would recommend to anyone who like beer!

Cheers!

05-23-2014 18:52:50 | More by Svyturys30
jngrizzaffi

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured dark amber/honey colored into a tulip glass with a thick foamy head and moderate lacing on the side of the glass. Strong citrus and slightly piney odor. Citrusy malty flavor at the beginning, followed by a slight piney hoppy finish. It leaves slight hoppy aftertaste but not much. It goes down very smooth and hides the alcohol content very well. Very well balanced beer. Very good. Be careful because it is definitely not a session beer.

05-04-2014 00:12:31 | More by jngrizzaffi
nUgZ

4.76/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a clear copper color with a two finger head and very nice lacing.

S: Lots of pine and citrus hops along with some sweet malts. Very inviting nose.

T: Not quite as hop heavy as the nose suggests, but still very appealing to a hop head like myself. There is an excellent malt balance to complement the hop profile. Alcohol is not noticeable at all.

M: Medium bodied with ample carbonation.

O: This is an almost perfect example of what an American Strong Ale can be. Super tasty, very smooth, and plenty of alcohol with almost none detectable. Well done Lagunitas!!

03-31-2013 21:48:47 | More by nUgZ