A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
to view more.
Ratings: 7,805 | Reviews: 1,539
4.19/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This ale has a whole lotta sumpin goin on. Aroma is fantastic. Flavors of hops and tanginess play together nicely. So much flavors! Lagunitas kills it again.

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

An overall great beer. Citrusy and bright, the slight wheat haziness and grain pairs perfectly with the otherwise crisp, dryness. Beautiful white head lasts until the last wonderful drop.

3.28/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Intense citrus , floral and hop smell, but tastewise this beer tries too hard to be something it is not with an overly intense IPA approach. Will not buy again.

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

LOOK: Poured into 25oz mug down side finishing with center pour. Left a significant head, perhaps I was a bit aggressive on the pour. Head was very white & frothy, leaving significant lacing as it slowly dissipated. Very light, clean & clear body, slightly orange/yellow hue. Looked extremely light & refreshing, just what I was in the mood for.

SMELL: HOPS!!!, Amazingly strong yet complex aroma. The smell seemed to combine lots of hops characteristics with citrus, pine & a fruity sweetness lingering. Don't have to stick your nose in to get an idea of what this ale is about.

TASTE: It pretty much taste like it smells. Heavy hops flavors with a nice citrus sharpness to it. Neat blend of slightly tangy/sweet fruitiness going on with a blend of malt & alcohol flavors holding it all together giving it a nice finish. I'm a bit surprised that the alcohol flavor wasn't more prevalent. I REALLY like the complexity of this ale.

FEEL: It had a bit heavier body than I anticipated based on the look. That being said, it was smooth & refreshing, making me want for more. This is an extremely drinkable ale.

OVERALL: I think this is probably one of the best beers I've ever had. I may have found a new "go-to" beer, definitely in the ale style. I'm sipping on my second one as I write this review & the only problem I have is I don't have another in the fridge. Not only would I recommend this to a friend, I'd beg them to try it. Thoroughly impressed with this beer.

If you haven't tried this one out yet, I hope this review convinces you to try it...CHEERS

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i liked this beer alot

Another reason why this brewery kicks ass. Phenomenal.

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A little on the pale side and a lot on the clear side. Dark straw golden color and very translucent, however, the head alone scores the points. A finger thick, it's brilliantly bright white. Great retention, it looks like a sticky meringue. As it eventually dies, thick lace desecrates the glass.

Tropical citrus fruits combined with pine fill the nose.

Mostly pine, with grapefruit peel and orange rind. Fairly malty for such a hoppy beer. Slight pilsner malt taste well into the finish.

A hint of sweet hits the palate as the bitterness builds. It never approaches palate destroying levels, stopping well short. The resiny oil coats the tongue and keeps all other feelings at bay. Medium bodied, it finishes with a lingering battle between slightly sweet and mostly bittering crispness.

Overall, it's a hell of a beer. Can't quite tell if it's a strong pale ale or a moderate IPA. Regardless, it's an easy drinking beer that hides it's 7.5% ABV very well.

2.5/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

not my jam... weird bitterness

This is an awesome ipa

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Malty and appropriately hoppy. This is a real experience.

3.46/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice hop presence, nice mouthfeel, but there was an unexpected, and in my opinion unnecessary, sweetness to this beer that I found distracting. It didn't seem to play well with the good things going on in this brew, and it knocked the whole thing out of balance for me.

A really really great beer!

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A straw yellow color, slightly hazy with a thin lace head. Beautiful balanced hop aroma, almost IPA-like. Taste is well balanced too, not too much hop bite, just enough to make it and interesting blend with the wheat malt. I could almost think of this as a session beer if it weren't 7.5%.

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA - draft at Giants vs. Dodgers game

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious, drinkable beer. Will drink again.

4.66/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fabulous beer. Hazy yellow-orange, great head, fine citrusy hoppiness without being overpowering, substantial but not too heavy, refreshing and complex. Nothing like it.

2.78/5  rDev -34%

Mehhh not a hop head sooo ya, this beer poured great looked and smelled beautiful. Give me a beer I can sit and easily drink over this one. However it was fun to try. If it's your thing cool.

3.42/5  rDev -18.8%

Well, at least it's sweeter than their IPA...

Really, whose idea was it to not only FILTER a wheat beer, but also dump a handful of hops into it?

It's a good beer. But it's an AWFUL representation of the style (and I bought it expecting a witbier/hefeweizen!). Drink this only if you really like Lagunitas in general, because you only get a touch of sweetness from the wheat.

I'll buy this again when I want a slightly milder IPA from their other offerings. They do make a good brew if you like bitterness.

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'll quote 'mkh012' who says it better than I could. "The smell of this beer is a hop citrus bomb. It really is one of the [best]-smelling beers I've ever sampled; really sharp and floral. Luckily, the taste follows the nose almost exactly. This beer opens with intense citrus hoppiness but finishes smoothly. (...) Combines the awesome citrus aspects of a good wheat beer with the floral hoppiness of an IPA".
Definitely an IPA -- be it an American "Wit" IPA. To me, only the seasonal "Little Sumpin' WILD" is closer to perfection.

4.51/5  rDev +7.1%

As a disclaimer, I'm not a huge fan of hoppy beers. I'm open to IPAs, but I generally dislike the almost soapy aftertaste that some of the more bitter ones have. As soon as I smelled this beer, though, I could tell Lagunitas was doing it right. The smell of this beer is a hop citrus bomb. It really is one of the better smelling beers I've ever sampled-- really sharp and floral. Luckily, the taste follows the nose almost exactly. This beer opens with intense citrus hoppiness but finishes smoothly. The perfect use of 60+ IBUs. Combines the awesome citrus aspects of a good wheat beer with the floral hoppiness of an IPA.

3.58/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy, pale gold with a creamy white head.
The aroma is slight citrus and toffee.
Taste is orange pitch bitter with a semi-sweet followup and a bitter, dry finish. Perhaps a slight Belgian-like funkiness as well.
Mouthfeel is medium and dry.
Overall, good but not great. A bit underwhelming.

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Another good brew for the upcoming hot summer!

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

beer's great. really hoppy like IPA but with an added complexity still very balanced slightly dry spicy yet tropical juicy. awesome stuff

3.49/5  rDev -17.1%

Drank it out of a solo bottle, poured into a British pub pint glass to (minimally) aid in Picking up extra scent.

A: Golden Color, fully carbonated. Bubbling the entire lifespan of the glass.
S: Floral, not getting the wheat at all. Not what i expected from this beer, but the best part.
T: Meh, for a beer that i've heard great things about, the malt was overpowering the hops. Not what i would have thought coming from a west coast company selling the west coast style, but my bottle could have been a bit old. There's a hint of the pine on the back end but still getting malt on the fore and aftertaste.
M: It is pretty crisp, not stale for sure. Carbonation keeps going.
O: Not horrible, not the best. I really wanted to give this one super high marks but for a style that was supposed to be a fresh take on an IPA/American PA, i'm pretty underwhelmed here.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Recommended to me by a friend so I didn't know what to expect since I love almost all styles of beer so this was a grab and go. If I was blindfolded I would have said it's a straight up IPA as I cannot detect the wheat. Very hoppy with a nice finish. Grapefruit with a tinge of blood orange. Smells like an IPA. Overall an amazing beer.

to view more.