A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,507 | Hads: 8,081

Little Sumpin Sumpin - Lagunitas -

One of my favorite beers…

A - Slightly hazy yellow…like a cloudy pilsner…Nice head…and great lacing!

S - Delicious mouthwatering hop aromas…Flowers, pineapple, lemon zest, a bit of pine…a really great and unique hop aroma!!

T - Juicy citrus hop flavors, very nice bitterness that does linger but makes you want more! Very well balanced…crisp and refreshing! More impressive than many IPAs i've had…realize its a pale wheat...its really an India Wheat Ale : )

M - Dry…creamy but crisp…very nice

Overall - A world-class Ale…the best of the best…grab up as much of this stuff as you can (if its fresh) you won't regret it…particularly if you are a hop fanatic like me…

Cheers! (744 characters)

I purchased this beer originally at World of Beer near UCF and then found it in Orlando at Total Wine & More. Of any Wheat Ale I've tasted, nothing else compares to Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin.

Smell - Significant citrus aroma, I actually smell pineapple and grapefruit.

Taste - Defintely higher in hops than most wheat ales. Could almost be interpreted as an IPA. I'm a big fan of IPA's though and the citrus mixes well with the hops. A slight carbonation helps as well.

Finish - Very smooth to drink, due to the citrus flavoring. You wouldn't believe this is a 7%+ ABV drink. Definitely cannot taste the extra alcohol.

If you haven't had this beer yet, put it on your list. It is by far the best offering by Lagunitas and has had me coming back for more. (760 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +18.6%

I can't say enough about this beer. This is my go to brew. When poured it has a beautiful golden appearance. It smells very hoppy with a fruitiness tone, I get the cascade hops instantly. Every bottle I have tried has the same crisp, full , fresh taste! Like I said , If I am having trouble deciding, I always grab a 6 of this. (327 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +18.6%

For the longest time I could only find IPA and PILS from Laguniats brewing. I listen to A Mediorcre Time With Tom & Dan podcast from Orlando FL and they always sing the praises of Daytime, Little Sumpin, and Sucks. I finally found "little sumpin" at a Whole Foods in Miami and I think it's my new favorite. (308 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

This stuff is great beer. Pours a dark straw with only a finger of thick, sticky, bright white head despite being poured straight down the center of a pint glass. Tons of cling as the head settles, really good lacing. All this is nice, but the smell and flavor are truly spot on. Extremely well balanced between malt and citrus hop flavor. This beer is like Bell's Hopslam's older, smoother, more sophisticated brother. Exceptional beer. (437 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Left at my house after a recent homebrew session. I've fallen in love with this beer. It's so crystal clear its hard to fathom that this is a wheat beer. Served in tulip shaped pint glass at 40F, allowed to warm as well.

A: a golden color with orange hue, lacing for days (the wheat and torrified wheat do an excellent job)

S: Citrus notes, a hint of grapefruit and pine

T: Malty up front, but not overly sweet. The hop backbone perfectly balances out the maltiness, and has a dry finish, but a sweet aftertaste, with little lingering hop bitterness. The most floral beer that I've ever tasted, but considering the dry hop schedule in this beer it's no wonder.

M: the wheat in this beer gives it a wonderful body. Had i not looked at the homebrew clone recipe i would never have guessed its roughly 50% wheat (white, toasted, torrified).

O: this is the most perfect beer i've ever tasted. It's so balanced and drinkable you'd never guess it was 7.5%ABV and 65IBU. It's wonderfully aromatic, floral,. and damned tasty. I hope the upcoming homebrew clone Can You Brew It recipe i'm brewing comes within 75% of this beer, because its amazing. (1,145 characters)

12oz. bottle

Pours a slightly hazy apricot color with a dense eggshell head that maintains. Thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is a bouquet of citrusy hops. Some distinct grapefruit and peachy tones. A true olfactory delight.

Tastes like it smells. A blast of citrusy hops upfront that levels out midway through and helps ease each swallow down my throat. Only a medium bitterness which maintains an almost perfect balance with the malt. No detectable wheat or other malt flavors, but absolutely not necessary in this beer.

Medium body, full carbonation.

A masterful blend of hops with tremendous overall balance. As pleasing on the palate as a hoppy beer can get, and deceptively drinkable at over 7%. (705 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

This is my go-to beer. If I don't want to experiment or go for a special experience this is the beer I will choose and every time I do it makes me happy. Even though it is now generally available, I treat this beer like a special occasion -- a treat.

The first thing that hits me with this is the smell -- all tropical fruit, piney hops and FLOWERS. The seductive floral aroma pulls me in every time. I would wear this shit as aftershave! Did I say yet that I like the way it smells?

The taste is a perfect follow-up to the nose. This beer sort of straddles classifications, but I put it squarely in the IPA school, albeit a very balanced and refined IPA. It has that tantalizing bitterness but you don't just go bitter for bitter sake -- it's all part of the whole. The slight malt sweetness and lingering floral notes just do it for me.

I don't know if this is a mouth-feel deal, but the resin content really works for me. It sticks to the tongue and allows a recycling of the best of the flavors long after the last sip has slithered down the throat. Lagunitas pulls this off pretty consistently. The carbonation is perfect. On a hot summer day -- THIS IS IT.

I like a broad range of beers but most of the time I want something with plenty of flavor. I've always been a fan of the rich roasty creamy stouts and I've never turned down a rich red or brown ale. A sailing buddy introduced me to big hops beers last year and I haven't looked back. The brewery that consistently nails the big hops taste test is Lagunitas. The Lagunitas beer that satisfies me EVERY time I pop one is Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. I will keep drinking and enjoying other beers but I will keep coming back to this one for a looong time! (1,718 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from 12 oz.bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Nice white head & beautiful golden color

Smell: Hops & Pine - Extremely fragrant and fresh. Slight hint of citrus

Taste: Hops Malt Citrus Balanced & Fresh and did I say hoppy? But not bitter, Full of flavor

Mouthfeel: Crisp & Balanced Finishes very well & not overly dry,
actually a fantastic finsh that leaves you wanting another mouthful.
This beer defines mouthfeel for me!

Overall: WOW Very drinkable. Very flavorful. This was a big surprise, I was expecting
more bitterness from the hops but it is extremely drinkable. And the flavors! WOW
I see more of these in my future.

I own a beer and wine drive thru and this was a recommendation from a customer. I bought some not
ever having tasted a beer from Lagunitas. This will be a staple on my shelf! (819 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (March 7, 2012) into a 14oz Libbey snifter.

A- Pours a hazy, golden color with (at best) a 1-finger head that dissipates rather quickly. Lacing is minimal

S- Hops for days and immediately reminiscent of their Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale! Sweet orange/tangerine, ruby red grapefruit, pineapple and mango explode out of the bottle.

T- Sweet tropical fruit with a very mild and smooth bitterness...lots of late kettle hop additions for sure

M- Traditional California/American/Chico ale yeast supports the brew with a creamy and smooth carbonation. Simply perfect!

O- This is a re-review since my original exposure to this brew (almost one year ago). Not only was I lucky enough to acquire a few 6'rs of their Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale, it is now very clear that Little Sumpin' Sumpin' was the basis for that Limited Release recipe (albeit the Holiday Ale produced a more substantial head with great lacing). If you missed out on Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale, just go get yourself a fresh Sumpin' Sumpin' and you will not be missing anything...Superb! (1,080 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

A: Gorgeous deep orange with golden rod tones.

S: DAMN SON!!! The most aromatic Wheat Ale of all time!
Tons of citrus, tropical fruits, pineapple, fresh jungle honey, and rich flourishing malt. It stunk like some good Icky Icky. The most aromatic hop-ale that is not rated an IPA.

T: Tropical fruits, citrus (Big time Red Grapefruit, tangerine, lemon), and a nice crisp wheat finish. I was surprised that its not rated as an IPA. Very Close but not as tangerine and aromatic as their Lucky 13 beer which is also amazingly good.

MF: Medium body, silky, crisp, and sweet west coast hop sticky icky. It was a really delicious spring time beer. Good medium carbonation.

Overall: This can be considered one of my favorite drinkable Lagunitas beers. Lucky 13 is also a great summer beer. But this one of my favorite looking and smelling beers of all time.. Truly Exceptional.

Serving type: On Tap
Serving type: Bought bottles as well. Its better on Tap, more aromatic as well. (978 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +18.1%

A-Golden-yellow. Transforms bright orange when held to light. Creamy, foamy white head few fingers thick. The pillow soft head breaks down into cascading waves of tide that clings to glass nicely. Above average retention. Spotty lacing is left after beer is gone. Consistent tendrils of carbonation bubbles whiplash around the height of glass.

S-Peach. Apricot. Slight pine. Orange. Lemon. Astringency. Green apple. Floral bouquets.

T-Super peach. Like sticking a straw in a soft lush peach and sucking the nectar. Slight resin. Clean alcohol tingle. Slight pine. Sour cider. APWA's are so refreshing you barely perceive wheat. Would give taste a 6 if I could.

M-Moderate/medium body. Smooth. Creamy. Fluid yet can be swished and slightly chewed. Wets palate. Leaves thinnest oily trace of lubrication. Love the medium level of sour citrus aftertaste. Won't pucker your mouth yet makes you smack your lips. Clean alcoholic tingle.

O-Versatile beer. It can be labeled IPA if need be. There is enough bitter hop and pine in it. I tend to keep a sixer at all times of Sumpin' Sumpin'. Great alone or with food. Super refreshing that doesn't compromise on flavor. I love it's level of 7.5% ABV as well. Brownie points for the artsy vintage bottle label. (1,254 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Working on my third case of this one, its about time to review it. This is a killer session beer. Delicious fruity wheat underneath a rush of tangy and piney hops. Crisp and refreshing, leaves you wanting more every time you sip it. Nice light golden color, head is ok, froths up nicely at first and quickly dissipates. Fresh hoppy punch on initial taste followed by a sweet pineapply mid palate and dry crisp finish. Cant get enough of it. Drink it fresh. (456 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Aroma:  Wow, huge grapefruit citrus and pine hop aroma.  Maybe some tropical fruit flavors peaking out.

Appearance:  Honey golden color.  Three fingers of head with nice lacing.

Flavor:  The citrus and pine flavors follow through just like the aroma.  This pale wheat ale tastes just like a true west coast IPA.  Finishes bitter sweet with just a hint of lingering bitterness.  A hop heads dream.

Mouthfeel:   Light body, good carbonation.

Overall:  Lagunitas has redefined the American wheat ale and it is awesome!  It  drinks like an American IPA.  Waves of hop aroma and flavor with malt sweetness to balance.  My favorite American wheat, hands down. (674 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Nice straw color with one finger of bright white head. Aroma is amazing with lots of citrus and some floral notes as well.
Taste is similar to aroma of some of malty sweetness on back end. Finishes really smooth with some mild residual bitterness, ridiculously well balanced (274 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Without a shadow of a doubt, my beer of the year for 2009. Loved it when it was totally fresh, love it as it gets a bit older. Very unique taste up front and that great Lagunitas hop onslaught on the back end, balanced but just a nice amount of sweetness. Hard to believe the ABV is over 7% on this masterpiece. Juicy greatness and just a true joy to drink over and over. Glorious. (381 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Very huge smell of juicy fruits maybe some berry smell in there too and then some sweetness.. what an excellent aroma. This is definitely what I expect from Lagunitas. It still has that juicy fruity hop taste with a spicy hop kick in the beginning and a good almost piney bitter finish at the end. You get a huge sweetness in the middle that blends real well with the tremendous hop flavor and then the wheat finishing in the back with the hop bitterness. The hop profile is very close to their other beers like their regular IPA, Maximus, and Hop Stoopid. ALthough they are all very similar I still like this beer just as much as them. Even though the hops shine the most in this beer that wheat malt really completes it and gives Lagunita's regular hopped up beers a good twist. Definitely recommend this beer its like a wheat IPA. (833 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Pour is clear gold with a 1 finger head that retains a good lace.

Smell. WOW. Soft citrus and pine dominate. A slight floral nose also. An air freshener should be made of this beer.

Taste is like a light/medium hopped IPA. Flavors of tangerine, pine, and a light malt/wheat backbone. Very well balanced. Medium bodied and smoooth. Will definitely be picking up more of this. Excellent summer-styled IPA. (405 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into a plnt glass. Golden wheat color with little head but. the taste was indescribable and irrestistable and it could makes me drink over and over again. a wonderful beer from a unique brewery this one is surely worth trying. two thumbs up!!! (250 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

12 oz. bottle from a six (approx. 9-10 packs purchased and consumed), about time I reviewed here, this one is worthy of my first.

A - Orange, but still pale

S - glorious, and should be infused into incense

T - Hops (pine, citrus, floral), top the wheat

M - it lingers just enough to take another swig

O - Will be on my short list of brews I will gravitate to when looking at any retail beer fridge or tap lineup. Can be downed year round with anticipation and enthusiasm.

Keep in mind, I'm an IPA/Double IPA fan and this one hits the spot for me. If you're all about the wheat, this may not be exactly what your reaching for. (631 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a "stubby" 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Clear, copper/gold in color, with a nice, fluffy head of foam
Aroma-Fragrant boquet of piney, juicy, citrussy hops
Taste-Hopheads delight! Delicious onrush of juicy grapefruit and tangerine, followed by a tantalizing hop bite that teases the tastebuds into willing supplication.
Overall, wonderfully aromatic, balanced, snappy and tasty. Hard to stop at just one. A fine match for a cheeseburger with the works. One of my favorites from Lagunitas. Don't hesitate, buy that sixer! (or case) Truly an outstanding brew. (580 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Enjoying a sixer of this excellent pale ale.

Pours a straw yellow gold with a fluffy white head that exhibits good retention.

Smells floral and taste really really good. This one is an Instant favorite. This beer makes me proud to be a native Californian born and raised.

Overall....try it....just try it. (310 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

very refreshing beer.. poured it on wheat glass with nice 3 finger white head that stays.. gold colored.. smell is piney, grassy, refreshing green mangoes and pineapple nose. the taste follows the nose citrusy sweet, fresh hops, pineapple and green mangoes. finish with slight bitterness that leaves bready like texture in the mouth
Overall- outstanding beer! (359 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

A: Poured a nice clear yellow color with a small white head that quickly disappeared and barely left any lacing.

S:Tons of piney hops and pine resin blast my nose. Just taking a wiff from the bottle i knew this was going to be awesome.

T: This beer really reminds me of the first sip i had of Pliny. I was in awe of the smell and taste and this sort of takes me back in time. Piney hops resonate with the first sip. Not much malt presence to speak of. I love it.

M: Light carbonation, but that leaves a very smooth finish on the tongue. The bitterness lingers a bit but quickly dissipates, leaving you yearning for more

D: I could drink this very often, and dare i say at less than $2/bottle i can see this replacing a greater known beer. I dont know if its sessionable since its rather high in alcohol, but i can easily sip this on a warm day and let it get away from me. I will definitely buy this again, especially since they are threatening this as a limited release. BOOO! (982 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Just downed one of these. Another fine offering from the Lagunitas stable. It was in the IPA section of my beer emporium. Good thing as I don't generally care for wheats and prabably wouldn't have grabbed one off the shelf.

Had an appearance a little darker than a lager but none of the wha=eat kickback on the smell & taste that you get sometimes.

Will gladly pick up more than one next timne after this worthwhile trial (424 characters)

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company