A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

A - slightly golden, light head
S - Very citrusy, hints of grapefruit.
T - Creamy citrus, almost like a grapefruit dreamcicle, with a nice hoppy finish.
M - Feels like a very lightly carbonated phosphate -- somewhere between water and syrup.
D - Punchy but refreshing, an excellent summer brew. I had one on a very warm Sunday after church, and while the label may not call someone to seek after the mysteries of the divine, the taste definitely will.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Lagunitas, I have a feeling, will soon be one of my favorite breweries. This is their 2nd offering I've had, the first being the Undercover Shutdown Ale (which I loved).

12 oz bottles (4) consumed from the bottle at a birthday party last night. Didnt pour it (which is why 3.0 appearance - sorry). Edit: hazy orange with lacing scattered & descent booze legs. Looks damn good.

Smell from the bottle is hop heaven. It just smells like a big cooler of fresh mixed floral & citrus hops! If I could bottle this smell & use it as a fragrance, I would. Nose doesnt get much better than this!

Taste is the same but I could surely pick up the wheat base in both taste & mouthfeel. The fresh hop madness works really well with the strong wheat base - very interesting & delicious! Legitimately, it was almost as if I were eating fresh hops that tasted out of this world good. Even my burps were ALL HOPS! Needless to say, I was very much looking forward to my numerous tasty burps. This one was not so bitter at all. The hops acted as more of a fresh floral/citrus hop taste - almost as if they just combined a shitload of varietal low alpha acid hops to the boil.

Mouthfeel was nice, a bit on the thicker side, but it worked really well with the moderate-high carbonation & the wheat/fresh hops mixture.

Bought this 6pack for $9.99. Not a bad price at all for such a delicious beer.

Lagunitas is impressing me more & more. Looking forward to sampling the rest of their offerings in due time.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

A- Beautiful orange gold color with a little bit of head. Head stays throughout drinking. Great lacing.

S- As soon as I opened the cap off the beer I smelled wonderful hops and sweetness.

T- Very hoppy but so delicious. Bitter, but the sweetness balances it out very nice.

M- Very smooth. Carbonation is good.

D- Alcohol is at 7.5% but very very drinkability. Not the type to gulp down, but to drink and enjoy.

I don't review often, because I am new to craft beers and I don't feel I have the knowledge to best express my "liking" of the beer. However, this was such a great beer that I had to attempt to review it. I will purchase this beer again, and again...

Nonetheless, I hope this review helps somewhat. This is a great beer, and very affordable.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

A - A pale , almost exhausted golden yellow. Poured with a nice full head and leaves some attractive lacing.

S - Dominated by citrus hops with some light wheat malts in the background. Smells refreshing, and frankly just makes me want to dive in.

T - Starts with a nice smooth citrus hop flavor which dims into tastes of sweet fruits. This is all tied together by a solid malt backbone, which while holding the beer together does not make an overbearing presence. This is truly fantastic.

M - Velvety smooth with ideal carbonation. Medium body that is nearly creamy while retaining the hoppy character that I have grown to love.

O - Overall this is a fantastic brew that hits almost every note spot on. While speaking amongst some friends, we have concluded this is one of the best deals available, and if I had to have a nice brew to sip on a a sunny afternoon, there is none better than a little sumpin' sumpin'! Not to mention at $10.49 a sixer with wide availability, this is simply the benchmark.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

I accidently bought this beer today, because I went to buy a Little Sumpin Wild Ale and somebody switched them out.
I poured it into a pnt glass and it has a nice gold color. The head isnt very big and fades away after sitting for a few minutes.
The smell is just amazing. It has a lot of pine scents and some sweetness.
The taste is also very enjoyable. It has a lot of pine and your typical typical IPA tastes, but the lingering aftertaste is kind of sour and very tasty.
The beer has a lot of crispness.

Overall this is beer is amazing. I really enjoy every aspect of it and I was fortunate somebody made the switch in the 6 pack.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A:
Looks like your typical APA. Amber with a one and a half finger head that forms into a lovely froth driven ring. Nice bubble movement.

S:
A wonderful hop bouquet dominates the nose. You also pick out grapefruit, orange and pine.

T:
Citrus-like fruity hops. Bitter in the best way possible. Malt and slight pine on the backend. Small amount of alcohol heat. To say the absolute least: incredible.

M:
Medium to medium-heavy in the mouth. Perfect carbonation.

O:
I never thought I'd say it, but I think A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' may have dethroned Gumballhead for my favorite in this style, and that says a lot coming from a guy who would defend FFF to the death.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 12oz. bottle to a pint glass, served at 40F.

I'm relatively new to Lagunitas, this is the third brew I've sampled from them. It made me feel like their growing reputation is deserved. Their IPA is alright and I thought the Brown Shugga Sub was a bit overrated, but this one is really great.

A - Dark golden body and it blows up into a billowy soft white head that lasted most of the way through my pint.

S - Really fresh Cascade hops. Best representative of them I can think of.

T - Esters of peach and apricot are emulated by the hop profile, slightly sweet up front and backed up by some nice bitter hop level at the end.

M - Tastes fresh and light, the finish has a bit of bitter as it should I think and the clean finish leaves you wanting more.

O - I think I'm going to have a new go to beer this season when the weather gets hot. We happy...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass
no born on/best before date

A: Pours an absolutely crystal clear golden yellow with 3 fingers width of dense, bright white head. Head dissipates down slowly to a thick film that remains throughout the majority of the drink. Leaves a sheet of fine bubbled lacing.

S: Tropical fruit hop notes with big aromas of pineapple, mango, and papaya. Sweet malts, and spicy and sweet wheat aromas. Citrus notes in the form of orange and lemon-lime. A hint of piney bitterness. Fantastic.

T: Sweet characters are what I get first, sweet malts, wheat and some sweeter fruit notes. Next the hops come out with pine and citrus in the form of orange and lemon zest. Huge hop notes for the style. Excellent.

M/D: Medium body, exceptionally smooth for the style, slightly drying on the finish, great drinkability for the ABV.

O: Overall, what a fantastic beer. Hands down the best American Pale Wheat Ale Ive ever had (blows Gumballhead out of the water if you ask me). Highly recommend.

12 oz Bottle

Appearance: Clear, Amber colored ale with a moderately thick head.

Smell: Probably one of the best smelling beers out there. A nice tropical fruity aroma (Peaches / Pineapple) with some hoppy undertones.

Taste: Tropical Fruits + Citrus + Hops at first with a Malty finish that's on the sweeter side. Very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with medium carbonation. Does not feel like a 7.50Z% ABV beer. Very easy to drink and might I add, easy to over-drink if not careful :)

Overall: Great Great brew. Tastes and feels like an IPA but as easy to drink as a Wittbier. One word: Stunning!

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a clean yellow/ orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma grapefruity citrus hops. In the taste, citrus grapefruity hops and orange juice like, a bit sticky sweet. A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel and a semi dry grapefruity citrus aftertaste. Nice hops and hides ABV, smooth and easy to drink.

Purchased as a single from Trader joes - poured into a DFH snifter

Pours a straw yellow/amber with nice head and good lacing. Smells absolutely wonderful. man. Hops are there in a big way but there is a nice cool soothing aroma as well that I can't really describe. Taste follows. There is a nice soothing minty taste and it is great on the finish. I love this beer.

Overall this is a beer that I think everyone should try. Do it. I will try it again and again.. ..

[Poured into an Lagunitas Mason jar]

I: I've had many beers from Lagunitas, and they were always good to me, but not great. Well, today I review their most praised beer, the Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale. The interesting thing behind this beer is that the beer community can't form a consensus on whether it's a wheat beer or an ipa. Well, lets get to it.

B:[7.5% ABV, 12 FL. OZ. Bottled January 2011] I've always admired Lagunitas beer labels and would say they are my 3rd favorite(Stone 1st followed by The Great Divide). Love the texture of the label, feels like paper, but doesn't have that cheap laminated feel. General information is all there, but would of enjoyed a story/summary behind the beer like stones.

A: Orange/amber transparent body with a big carbonated/scattered head(moderate dissipation), and decent lacing.

S: For a supposed wheat beer, this sure as hell smells like an ipa. Upfront is pineapple and grapefruit with a good hop presence.

T: Citrus grapefruit is dominated with dry sweet malt, but doesn't linger after finish with some smokey hops throughout(brings out the alcohol).

M: Smooth/slightly dry finish, medium bodied, medium carbonation, and moderate alcohol presence(complemented by the hops).

O: I am a believer!!! Interesting/tasty beer in every word, and the best Lagunitas brew I've had so far. I can't say I have any gripes with this beer. The dominate grapefruit you see in many ipas is upfront, but doesn't linger after finish. I guess the only sense of a wheat beer is the finish, but it's settle. Besides that, I would classify this as an ipa. Good beer worthy of my shelf, go pick up a six pack.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled froma bottle with no freshness date. Deep yellow in color with excellent clarity. Poured with a dense yellowish-white head that slowly reduced to a thick cap. Lot of wet sticky lacings on the glass. Citrus grapefruit and orange aromas with along with plenty of caramel sweetness and hint of toasty malt. Medium bodied with nice refreshing carbonation. Sweet malty and citrus grapefruit hop flavors are well balanced through the beginning and middle. The wheat flavor peeks through toward the end as this finishes slightly dry and very clean. Thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Wouldn't think twice about having it again. Lagunitas has yet to disappoint.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2010 vintage. I realize Lagunitas is not a brewery most beer geeks fawn over, but this is one of their more excellent beers, in my opinion.

I picked up a sixer in 2009, another two in 2010, and I'm considering making this a "caser" in 2011. Great stuff.

A: Pours a clear gold color with a generous 2 inches of off-white head. Retention is moderate, retreating over a few minutes into a clumpy film on the brew. Leaves thick register marks down the side of the glass.

S: Citrus, particularly lemon, but there's a slightly tangy component to it that suggests orange, grapefruit, and pineapple. A light dose of spice and some wheat.

T: In my opinion, it's an extremely hoppy version of the American Pale Wheat style, but that caters to my tastes. It starts off with lemon, grapefruit, and pineapple, but wheat kicks in so quickly that the bitterness remains muted and balanced. Wheat pulls through into the finish, where there is a lightly spicy earth and pine hop flavor. I pick up a grainy biscuit taste, as well.

M: Light-medium body. Carbonation is high and crisp. Very refreshing. It's an extremely hoppy wheat beer, but it doesn't feel nuts at all. It's not very dry. Good balance.

D: I'm impressed, somewhat despite myself. Not a style I follow, and I generally stick to Lagunitas' strong ales. They did a great job with this one. It costs more than their IPA around here, but I'm willing to pay that. Please, sir, may I have some more?

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

another lagunitas for these warm summer days in the CNY! Poured into a tulip glass

A- pours a delicious golden body with a generous foamey head. Consistant carbonation rips throughout the brew. A cake like siding cultivates on the side of the glass. A really unfilitered, hefe kind of look

S- a strong almost IPA kind of scent. Sweet grapefruit with a very bitter and dry scent at the end. This are some spiced aspects that linger as well. It's similar to Sam summer in that respect, but the hopped up grapefruit themes are flamboyant!

T- wow this is great! A dry flavor of grapefruit and pine begin the spiced presentation of the brew. There is some sweet malt that quickly tranisitions into a bitter taste. I do have a sense of a slight spiced wheat theme that is helping develop this brew. Most unexpected

M- crisp and carbonated in the mouth. The flavor is so outstanding that it lingers with bitterness

D- Lagunitas has impressed me again. I really appreciate what comes from Caly. I am going to go out on a limb and say that this is one of the most drinkable/tasty summer beers I have had. Although I do sense some confusion with the entire profile of the beer resembling an IPA... there is that slight spiced wheat presense that provides integrity of the brew. Just great

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was a little reluctant to try this, because I thought it couldn't be as good as Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute. Boy, was I wrong. This is just fantastic! If this is going to be available year-round, it will be in my refridgerator year-round.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: orange/yellow, fluffy 2 finger top, nice lacing

S: big wheat, pine, pineapple, peach

T: sweet wheat, malt, nice lingering bitter finish

M: med/light. body, slick/oily feel

O: Interesting; the most intense APWA.
Lagunitas makes very nice beers, either solid to yum!
This is shocked me, great summer/session brew.
You may want to gulp this, ABV is well hidden.
Still one of the best breweries for your money.

DELICIOUS, SEEK IT OUT!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - slightly opaque orange, nice clean white head

S - grapefruit, lime and other citrusy hops, fresh and without a lot of pine.

T - hops, citrus, a nice malty balance from the wheat that plays a supporting role without coming in to the spotlight

M - light and fluffy, a slight bitter feeling emerges towards the end of the second beer

O - excellent beer, taste and quality closer to some of the better DIPAs than other wheat beers in this class

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date.

Pours a hazed copper color with fast rising head, retention and lace is prominent. very attractive beer.

Hop profile of DIPA!!! Super pungent citrus blasts with Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, orange, and dank pine all blasting through my nose. having a hard time picking out the wheat and malts but they are in their somewhere.

BAM, Hops straight down the throat. not overly aggressive but bitter enough to deter the casual light beer drinker. Hops taste in essence with the scent but a nice caramel/wheat malt backbone balance it all out very well. Outstanding

Medium bodied with a slightly creamy feel to it, moderate prickly carbonation. Very refreshing finish with a tasty afterthought of fruity citrus hops.

7.5% abv 64.20 I.B.U this Summer wheat ale is the best ive had in a long time. Easy drinker for the hop head in us all.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a clear, light golden hue with a nice head, and even better lacing.

Aroma is incredibly floral, full of sweet hop nectar.

Lightly bitter, with a big juicy hop punch. More tropical and fruity than the aroma. The half-wheat malt bill provides a lot of unoffensive fermentability, and adds lot of smoothness to the mouthfeel. There's a bready base, but nothing more than that in terms of malt flavor. Lightly creamy mouthfeel, with ideal medium-low carbonation. This is one of the most drinkable and refreshing hoppy ales I've ever had.

This beer has fifty percent wheat in the malt bill, but it's dry hopped like an IPA. This is a beer designed to let the hops shine through, and it does so beautifully. Delicious.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I love(d) this beer.

Almost turned me away with the Pale Ale title, but this is not your dad's pale ale.

The Hops they incorperate come through in a unique way and Lagunitas has a little sumpin sumpin going on here.

One of my new favorites. This has become and now will become my new summer beer.

Price is right, taste is right, and everything just works right for this brew.

Well done.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

On tap at Lagunita's new tap room/Beer Garden on 7/18/09. Served in a plastic logo cup.

A - Very effervescent, hazy amber/orange body with about a finger's width of creamy off-white head that retained exceptionally well and deposited thick, foamy lace around the cup.

S - Very aromatic West Coast hop nose. I smelled this across the table! Pungent pine and citrus character with grapefruit... a lot of grapefruit... an inordinate amount of grapefruit, actually. Not that I'm complaining. Oh yeah, there's some sweet caramel malt in there too.

T - Juicy grapefruit blended with a touch of sappy pine, although flavor is again more on the citrusy side of the spectrum. Sweet caramel malts keep this from heading into hop overload.

M - Medium bodied with a sticky, somewhat oily texture and moderate carbonation. Very slick mouthfeel overall. Assertive bitterness on the palate, but lots of residual sweetness as well.

D - This is easily my new favorite offering from Lagunitas! This is a really citrus-forward brew with fresh grapefruit out the wazoo, almost like Ballast Point Dorado without the alcohol presence. Awesome!

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

A - clear amber - just happen to see this next to a stone ipa in identical glasses - they are the precise same color but the stone is hazy and this is crystal clear.

S - if you don't like the smell of this beer, you are a troubled soul. powerful bouquet of fruit with enough hops so that it is not cloying. we should all be so lucky as to have a woman who smells like this.

T - full, little hoppy but not particularly aggressive or overwhelming in any way. the taste does not live up to the smell but it's nice and very drinkable.

M - round and finishes clean

O - nice brew, mellow enough to have several in a row but may make you think everything else you own smells like crap.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company