Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Reviews: 1,590 | Ratings: 8,487
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favorite go to beer. Never disappoints....compliments any meal, love it with sushi ...if I can't find anything new I can always rely on Lil to satisfy my thirst!!! Fresh and hoppy it can be enjoyed all year round. Even non-beer drinkers can enjoy this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours an effervescent honey color with 2 fingers of cream colored head. Great lacing & good head retention

S: A riot of hops, lemons, grassyness & pineyness, plus leafy hops too

T: Grapefruit, breadyness, a touch of honey & dryness up front. Leafy hops & grapefruit as this warms, pineapple, pear & slight grainy bread sweetness with a touch of honey too. Finishes slightly juicy, with leafy hops, a little bit of honey sweetness & pineapple as well

MF: Medium bodied, low carbonation, superb balance

Drinks great, easily the best American Wheat beer I've had, I believe, maybe off style a tad, but I don't care. This goes on the MUST buy list for Summer & Fall!

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

I discovered this beer several years ago and was enamoured. I'd never had such a suculent tasting IPA before. I was a regular Sierra Nevada Pale Ale guy (which is my everyday) and the flavour here was a wake up call for me. I love this beer. This is one of the best I have ever had and I will grab it without hesitation from the shelf. And like most products from Lagunitas, I have enjoyed its subtlety beautiful flavor and consistency every time I buy it. If you ever have anyone offer this to you at a gathering or whatever, they deserve a kiss right on the mouth... per Lydia Loveless, and hopefully she looks like the Varga Girl on the label.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a light orangish-yellow, not quite pilsner light but close, finger of head, decent lacing, pretty clear

Smell is pineapple, pear, grapefruit, peach, bread, wheat and a ting of honey sweetness, A joy to smell to say the least.

Taste is pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, bready malt, wheat, hint of pepper, bittering pine on the finish while remaining slightly sweet at the same time.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side of medium, average carbonation, slightly drying, not as drying as a IPA though.

I have had this many a time, but for some reason never gave it a score. I see why people compare it to Sucks.... All Lagunitas beers seem to have that amazing citrus quality that I for one just love. They are all different in there way, some more malty, some more bitter, some more piney.... But I think we can all agree you know a Lagunitas beer when you taste it!

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Golden amber with an almost honeycomb-like hue. Perhaps slightly darker than I would have pegged a beer that is notoriously this hoppy. Huge, tri-fingered head that seems to be receding rather quickly, leaving a sufficient amount of lacing.

S: Hops that seem to scream with their juicy character rather than with any bite themselves. I'm getting a strong sense of grapefruit and coriander as my nostrils delve deeper and deeper into the glass. I must be careful, or a noseful of foam is imminent!

***At this point, I should make note of the lacing. It seems to be rather patchy, but I like it. It adds a sort of hidden elegance to my glass.

T: Ah, the time has finally come to take a swig of this wondrous beverage. The head has all but receded completely as I begin my journey...

Oh my god. For lack of a better two-word term, I'm in "hop heaven." This beer is spectacular. I'm a hop-head, to be sure, but I feel like this brew could be appreciated by beer lovers of all sorts. Granted, it has enough hops to make your face turn green, but it also has an undeniable sweetness aspect to it that makes it deliciously, and dangerously, drinkable.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation, and perfect feeling on my palate. I really don't think that Pale Ales get better than this. I am typically an IPA man, but this beer alone is making me rethink my style preference.

D: Well, I started the day off with a Dead Guy Ale (My first Maibock [I'm a n00b!]) and now I'm on my second Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. I seriously doubt I'll have any of these left in my six-pack before the day is over.

A special shout-out to Mike from Brawley's for recommending this. I've known about this beer for quite some time, but was initially going to buy a bomber of Hop Stoopid before Mike recommended I put that back and buy a sixer of this. Thanks Be To Mike!

Drinkability is indeed worthy of perfect score. I'm polishing my sixer now!

One year later...

Look: Light golden orangey combination; appears to be citrusy as all getout. We'll see if the nose matches up. Minimal lacing; small amount of head.
Smell: Very fruity. Mandarin oranges, and perhaps a hint of white grape juice. A somewhat distinct yeasty character.
Taste: So citrusy. It's a hop bomb without the characteristic bitterness. I'm not terribly educated on all of the hop strains, but this one's bursting with the most citrusy of the breed. Excellent. Refreshing. Masks the 7.5% abv quite well.
Feel: Heavily carbonated. It's almost like drinking an orange, alcoholic Fanta (except much more delicious than that experience would be).
Overall: Though I've limited experience with "American Pale Wheat Ales," I like to categorize this beer as more of an American IPA with significantly more citrus and less bite. Thus, it is in my top five of American IPAs.

***Addendum: Noticed it's brewed with all of the "C" hops on the beer's BA page. I'm assuming that includes "Citrus"...

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Poured 12oz bottle into pint glass. Medium carbonation with nice 1-inch head and good lacing that lingered for a good while. Color honey amber with a dash of orange.
S: Grapefruit, tangerines, and sourdough bread. Not getting much of the pine that others have described, compared to an IPA.
T: Heavy on the hops for a Pale Ale. Well-balanced and full, with fruit up front and some somewhat bitter pine, grass and spice in the back end. Can just barely taste the wheat. Every sip makes me want more.
M: Medium-bodied and smooth. Tingles all the way down. Refreshing to the end.
O: One of my favorite all-around beers, enjoyable for hopheads and wheat-lovers alike.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Victory tulip glass. No bottle date present. Bottle purchased at Pinocchio's in Media, PA.

A: Pours a crystal clear amber. Two finger white head that sticks around a while. Nice bubbles. Nice lacing.

S: Strong citrusy and floral hops are all over this brew. It smells delicious! Just like fresh picked fruit. I smell summer!

T: Hops up front and at the finish. Nothing TOO overpowering. Just perfect. Nice fruity and sweet. Very pleasant.

M: Smooth. Mild mouth coating IPA. Nothing too mouth puckering.

D: I could drink this all night! Perfect session beer. The ABV might eventually get you, but if I'd had another I would have drank it.

Overall, another delicious brew from this nice WC brewery. I seem to like every thing they put in those funny stubby bottles! Keep sending them east!

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

this was the summer beer of choice. i was overtaken (in a good way) by the citrus/grapefruit scents at first. then comes the creamy smooth texture of this monster. i have to say this is my favorite summer beer of all time. will await the year round releas as some have posted. great job lagunitas!

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

This is one of my favorite IPAs, even though it's technically classified as an "American Pale Wheat Ale." It has a ton of fresh flavor and depth of body, and the subtle nuances in smell/taste are what really make it great. There are tons of piney-grapefruit honey hops, bread-y yeast, and a bit of fruit flavor like apple and pear. There is also a little sweetness to the hops that balances out the whole beer. I could have this beer again and again.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into my trusty chilled (but not frosted) Founder's glass.

Poured golden yellow. Medium head that receded fairly quick. . Moderate lacing and streaks down the glass.

Pine, oranges, banana. Nice.

Citrus. Banana. Wheat bread. Everytime I have this offering from Lagunitas, it's a little different. I chock that up to the complexity of the beer.

Crisp and refreshing. Medium carbonation. Malt and hops in the aftertaste.

This is a complex ale. No other way to put it. But it is still easy to drink, warm or cold. With or without food. The way I would describe it to a friend would be... Imagine your favorite Belgian White.. All that bread and banana goodness. Now throw a well balanced single IPA at it. Poof, that's the little sumpin sumpin I think they were talking about. I love this beer and buy it when I see it.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a brilliant golden yellow straw color with a thin bubbly head.

Smell is of giant citrus hops, with some light bready malts in the back. This beer smells awesome, it is like a double IPA in the nose.

Taste is amazing, this is a hop lovers pale wheat ale. So hoppy and delicious, big citrus and grapefruit notes. This beer is one of my new favorites, best wheat beer ever.

Mouthfeel is medium full with medium carbonation. Very good beer.

One of the most drinkable hoppy beers out there, I am blown away by how good this beer is.

4.79/5  rDev +14.3%

Comes out of the tap a slightly hazy golden with an average white head. Aroma is epically hoppy and has an evergreen overtone, promising a seriously hoppy beer. (Because of this, I thought maybe I had actually had A Little Sumpin' Stoopid instead!) Flavor is seriously hoppy and has a firm tone of grapefruit. Texture is fairly fizzy and lively, leaving behind a nice tingle.

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

What an amazing beer to end my summer with. Sumpin' sumpin' is a phenomenal brew from lagunitas, probably the best thing they have made. Living in Ohio, this is the closest thing to gumballhead I have ever had and you can't go wrong with 8.50 pitchers of this. This is a delicious wheat beer with the finish of a very floral IPA. A nice thick head with a lovely earthy summer scent. Definitely one of the tastiest and most drinkable beers I have ever had.

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass. Not sure on the date. The brewery website says approximately May release but another website with usually accurate says that the code on the neck is julian date on 1st 3 digits which would be early Sept bottling. Was a slightly hazy golden yellow color with lots of carb streams. Had an average sized head that quickly settled into a collar and thin partial film. Decent quick sliding lace.

The aroma was awesome. Lots of citrus and grapefruit blended in with good dose of pine and bready malt. Kept sniffing this throughout the session. Would love to try this one freshly released. The taste followed the aroma with great mix of c hop flavor and slightly sweet malt. Really enjoyed it. Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation and great aftertaste.

Overall, an amazing beer that I'm glad I tried. Been disappointed with most APWA's so almost didn't grab it but read some good things on it so did. So glad I did. Really enjoyed this one and need to go get a 6xer before they are gone. Highly recommend. Avail here in TX. Rotation - seasonal release. During the season it will make the heavy rotation for sure. [H,Y]

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite IPAs. If you like grapefruit & citrus tastes in your beer, you'll probably like this one. It's my go-to beer during football season.

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours an amber colour with a small white head. There's plenty of bubble rising from the bottom of the beer.

The smell is sweet, wheat with some hops thrown in, grapefruit and pineapple.

The taste is very nicely balanced it has the smoothness and flavour of a wheat beer along with the bitter hoppiness an apa or ipa. There are delicious citrus fruity flavours with grapefruit and lemons.

The mouth feel is medium with low/medium carbonation.

Overall an interesting and original beer, very tasty and hides the abv very well. Have and will continue to buy regularly.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'll quote 'mkh012' who says it better than I could. "The smell of this beer is a hop citrus bomb. It really is one of the [best]-smelling beers I've ever sampled; really sharp and floral. Luckily, the taste follows the nose almost exactly. This beer opens with intense citrus hoppiness but finishes smoothly. (...) Combines the awesome citrus aspects of a good wheat beer with the floral hoppiness of an IPA".
Definitely an IPA -- be it an American "Wit" IPA. To me, only the seasonal "Little Sumpin' WILD" is closer to perfection.

4.76/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Couldnt beleive I saw sixers of this down the street at the Marina Market/liquor when stopping in for some milk last night. $8.99 later I was on my way home with my first offereing from this brewery [I know, Im a late bloomer :) ]

A- Poured into a long stem tulip and noticed the golden sunset amber colors had a slight haze to them assuming due to the wheat malt used. (I didnt know this was a wheat ale when I bought it until going on Lagunitas site before I popped the bottle).

S- OMGosh, incredible! Such a rich deep citrus walloping scent my nose was doing somersaults. Slightly spicy with pine and some floral elements but what hits you is the citrus orchard. Mouthwatering smell, the best Ive smelt yet. I could just whiff it all day without taking a sip, its that good to the nose.

T- Following the footsteps of the aroma, the taste is magnificent. Simply complex with a rich fruity citrus explosion followed by an unexpected hop bomb. What a great balanced combo! The taste lingers on just long enough to make your mouth say one thing, MORE!

M- Wheat beers usually have a thick mouthfeel to them but this one breaks the rules, crisp and clean with the perfect amount of carbonation.

O- What a great tasting, smelling and overall drinking experience. The flavors hide the high ABV very nicely. Very sessionable, three bottles later I was feeling as good as it gets. This is a great brew but is more of an IPA than a wheat ale. Remarkable first impressions from this brewery. I sure do love living in Southern California and seeing sixers of this within walking distance of my house. Does it get any better? Not by much Im thinking, not by much. I would rate this a WC offering.

4.76/5  rDev +13.6%

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, straw colored with just a tinge of amber orange, short white head that dissipates quickly leaving little lacing, clear and highly carbonated

S: absolutely perfect fruity hop smell, beautiful citrus, strawberry, fragrant hops balanced by a good malt backbone

T: sweet ruby red grapefruit, bitters towards the middle, finishes with a piney grapefruit peel quality

M: medium bodied with good carbonation, great aftertaste

O: the appearance was a total disappointment, however it completely improved with regards to taste and smell overall a terrific beer that missed in one little area

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured rom a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Citrus and hops , great smell.
Appearance- A nice gold color with a medium sized white head.
Taste- I can taste the hops, citrus and maybe some pine notes. Really good flavor
Palate- A medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Has a nice clean dry finish.
Overall- A fantastic beer, highly recommended.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very good beer! Another quality offering from the consistent Lagunitas brewery. A very tasty, very smooth and very drinkable beer. Highly recommended!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a really fun one, it's wheaty, citrusy, malty, hoppy goodness. It really elevates the normal wheat ale to another level.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours amber orange with a few dancing bubbles in the light. Head is white and thin.

Smell is superb with that hits you in the face Lagunitas aroma.

Taste is crisp and citrusy sour piney but not over the top.

Heavy taste on the back of the palate is welcomed. Disappears quickly and leaves you wanting to repeat..

Crisp and bright on the palate.

Overall a personal favorite and new to me this week.

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance - Gold, carbonated, decent head retention, slightly cloudy
Aroma - floral hop, citrus, malty
Taste - hop forward, malty sweetness, grapefruit bitter finish, well balanced
Mouth Feel - medium body, light carbonation
Overall Impression - Very enjoyable. An IPA drinker can turn this into a session (be careful!).

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

If you like Gumballhead, give this a shot. Not a hop head? Don't let the IBU's scare you off, the hops aren't overwhelming. Grapefruit! Awesome beer.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company