A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,483 | Hads: 7,980
2.05/5  rDev -51.2%

12 oz bottle poured clear pale golden with a decent head. Tasted like this one may have been born quite a while back, as the aroma of hops was nearly non-existent. The malty middle overwhelmed. I will not buy this bottle again, however I would try a draft just to see how a fresh one compares. (293 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -49.8%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Amber color, rich and bright orange.

S- The best thing about this beer. The strongest notes are peach and apricot; hints of citrus.

T- What taste? It was hoppy and had a bitter finish. Taste was disappointing and simple in light of the nice aroma.

M- Typical of a light ale. Fizzy and thin.

O- This beer was a let down in terms of big anticipation with much less pay-off. The bouquet was very promising, but none of the flavors that were suggested in the aroma played out on the palate. The flavor disappeared quickly after swallowing. (545 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -49%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

This beer is honestly. Way. Ovet rated...

Wat ever they say about it is just bs this has nice color

Nice body foam

Nice beautiful bottle

But da taste is just honestly discusting taste like over sweeted beer eith 2 much sugar or watever over bullshit they put on it (269 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -46%

A- A dense golden/honey color. A nice spongy two finger head with great lacing to the end.

S- Overpowering citrus smell, almost like household cleaner. Extreme hoppy smell

T- A punch in the face of citrus and hops

M- Very dry, the hops linger in the aftertaste. Lysol...

D- Found this to be hard to finish, not usually my MO. Wouldn't have it again (352 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a very hopy bitter beer. Much more like a pale ale then the wheat style. Beautiful to look at, but then like so many women ruined once the mouth is involved.

Now for the review.

A: nice dark gold color, almost a bronzeish color. Lots of carbonation that doesn't feed much of a head.

S: Hopy with a lot of diactle. Can smell the alcohol on this beer.

T: Much of the same as the nose. Very thick hops with a lot of diactle. Some malts try to seep into the tongue as you let it sit there. The more it does the more it seems to be made of extracts for malts. Very bitter finish.

M: Very syrupy as it sits there and passes through. Thankfully it's a light bodied beer and doesn't leave much of a trail.

O: Can't say much good about this beer except that it's strong. (776 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -35.7%

Is it just me, or do all Lagunitas taste pretty much the same? Like drinking a Xmas tree. This one was supposed to have some wheat in it....you'd never know by the taste. Not bitter, but very hoppy. Not worth the coin...unless you enjoy drinking pine flavored beer. I'm done with Lagunitas. (295 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -33.8%

Mehhh not a hop head sooo ya, this beer poured great looked and smelled beautiful. Give me a beer I can sit and easily drink over this one. However it was fun to try. If it's your thing cool. (191 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -32.4%

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company. Poured from the bottle into a mug, this brew's head was 3 fingers in thickness, a clear golden body, and decent lacing.

Smells like burnt wheat.

Tastes like burnt wheat. I thought there would be a much better flavor profile going on here. Maybe I need to drink more of it and re-review another time.

Mouthfeel isn't too bad I suppose

Overall a 3 for A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company. I was disappointed to say the least. I'll have to give it another chance, but for now its not hitting the spot for me (599 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -31.9%

Grabbed a little 12 oz. bottle on a beer run today just to try... right at cap opening... it smells like most of the rest of theirs... Hop Stoopid, Undercover... etc...

- Golden yellow, clear... white fluffy head... 2 fingers, down to a nice thin layer and lacing all about...

- Huge citrus hops up front... sweet candy, sugar... little bit of grain, donuts....

- Very sweet hop syrup... caramel, sugar, candy... donut glazing... citrus and pine hops galore....

- Syrupy, sticky, sweet... medium bodied....

- Bit hot, and much like the undercover investigation shutdown ale.... what I think they should do is try brewing a different beer other than bottling one that didn't quite turn out the same as the last batch and calling it something different. Huge on hops... sugary sweet... and too much like the rest of their other offerings. Kind of lost on this one. (867 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -31.4%

Purchased a six pack on on sale for $6.99 (along with the rest of Lagunitas limited releases) at my local market. Maybe I got a sixer that went south because something was just not right about this beer. Maybe that is why it was on sale? I'm not going to go through the usual breakdown except these overall comments:

I can't quite place what hop(s) were used for bittering and aroma but it had a really funky smell and taste to it attributed by the hopping. It wasn't a skunk smell, which anyone can pinpoint for spoiled brew, but it was enough of an off smell and taste that makes me think the hops in this particular batch were rank. I'm through the fourth beer over the past week and they all have tasted the same.

In general I'm a fan of what Lagunitas puts out BUT I'm sorry to report that this particular release has been hard to get down. This Lil Sumpin' has got sumpin' not quite right about it. (908 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A: Clear, light gold in color, with a quickly-dissipating white head. Lacing was minimal.

S: I can't smell much past the powerful aroma of the hops. After the potent fruity, citrus rind smell, there's just a hint of wheat bread.

T: Sweet, one-dimensional malt, more sweetness, then grapefruit juice, then grapefruit rind, then pine needles.

M: Crisp & well-carbonated. Fairly chewy. a tad dry in the finish.

O: OK, I really don't get the positive reviews here. This was a boring beer with nothing to offer but a high IBU count. Not quite a drain pour, but not up to the standards I'd have expected from Lagunitas. (617 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -31.2%

Appearance - 4.25/5
Moderate orange-gold, very clear, a good amount of visible carbonation can be seen rising. About a finger of head upon pouring, quickly dissipates to a thin layer.

Smell - 2/5
Slightly sour and funky pine/earthy/dirt-y hops. Some resinous aspects as well. Vinegar/salty. Ultimately the smell is kinda hard to describe, and I think it's kinda gross actually, though I have smelled other beers like this.

Taste - 3/5
Still has some of the nasty smell aspects in the taste, but tastes better than the smell.. Pine, resin, ?? (something I don't like), hops. A funky-sour-citrus. As mentioned, still has a slightly strange vinegary aspect.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium bodied. Light amount of medium-light intensity carbonation.

Overall - 3/5
This beer tasted liked a bottle 400 Pound Monkey which I reviewed, but not nearly as bad. I have a feeling that I must have a gotten a bad bottle of both, because the smell and taste is really strange. (959 characters)

Enjoyed September 3 at Savannah Craft Brew Fest '11.
A: Pours pale straw yellow, thick white head at first but bubbles its way down, minimal lacing.

S: Hoppy most def, but theres something else almost like whole grain untoasted bread methinks...

T&M: First thing I notice is how easy it goes down, very smooth and drinkable. I had finished my portion before dissecting the piss out of it, but taste was similar to smell but a bit dry.

O: Maybe first wheat pale ale I have had but then again I'll have to reexamine. (517 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -28.3%

Had this in bottle from Monks Pub Chicago.

Appearance is pale amber/yellow. Small white head. Smell was mostly hoppy with some wheatiness to it. Taste was mostly similar to the smell. Citrusy hop flavor dominated.

Overall I didn't care for this beer. It wasn't anything like the other Pale Wheats I've had before. This one was too hoppy for me. I was expecting a more balanced flavor of hops and wheat but I couldn't taste the wheatiness that I loved in other Pale Wheats. Just the hops and bitterness. (504 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -27.9%

Two and a half finger head on a clear yellow body. Looked inviting. The head was somewhat rocky as it subsided.

Aroma started with pine hops, then some grapefruit slipped in. Sweet malt was underneath, along with a light fruitiness. This is a wheat ale?

Taste was medium malts, no wheat character. Somewhat bitter, with pine hops and hop resins prominent. Again, this does not taste like a wheat beer. Maybe their interpretation is different, but personally I don't think it goes well with the style.

Mouthfeel was just OK. Nothing special that stood out. Carbonation was average.

Drinkability... nothing stood out for me. If I was in the mood for a wheat ale, I would not go for this one. I think it was on the fringes of the style. Not a bad beer overall. But compared to others in the same class, definitely non-traditional. (832 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours a clear, golden yellow color. White head doesn't have a lot of retention, dissipating fairly quickly and leaving some scattered lace and settling to a chunky film.
Smell is very hop forward. Not surprising from a CA beer. Citrus and piney hops are the primary players here, kicking all the other actors off stage except the malt and that barely makes a supporting presence. Balance? What balance?
Taste is very hoppy, still with the citrus and pine blend leading and a very minor role for the malt. A bit of alcohol creeps into the aftertaste. No real balance here, either.
A medium-full body and a solid effervescence work well together. There is a strong grapefruit aftertaste, a dry finish and a reasonably warming aspect. A good beer but not right for the style, too many things missing. I wish there was more to it than just hops, hops & hops. (854 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I was really looking forward to trying this beer, since people say it's a lot like Gumballhead, and some say it's better. It smells amazing, but as far as taste goes, I wouldn't have it again: the bitterness of the hops is overbearing and there doesn't seem much else to the flavor. There is no subtle complexity that Gumballhead has. This beer tastes like an IPA, and I'm not an IPA fan. Wish it had less bitterness and more of a complex wheat flavor. (452 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -26%

A: Poured a clear honey color. Had this from the bottle and only poured out a little to get a visual on it, so I can't speak as to the head.

Picture of cute chick on the bottle. (hey, that's part of appearance too)

S: Hey, wait, this smells way too hoppy for a wheat. Heavy on the pine and grapefruit.

T: Faint wheat, heavy pine flavor and a bit of spice from the hops.

M: Medium-bodied with just a little bit of stickiness. Viscous and generally pleasant.

O: So this is Lil' Sumpin Sumpin, eh? I like an ale with wheat. I'm not typically a fan of beers with a lot of hop character. Might have liked it more if I hadn't been expecting something closer to a weizen. Admittedly I picked this up because some folks on another forum were raving about it.

Gave this a second try as of 07/14. This is either a very good IPA or a failure of a wheat ale. Like somebody got a little too clever for their own good. "Hey, lets just keep adding hops!" (946 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -25.2%

A: Light amber color. Not as dark as I expected. Lots of head (3-4 fingers on an aggressive pour). Head is slow to recede away.

S: Fruity and flowery like I'd expect from an IPA. Not too pungent or overpowering. Promises to be flavorful - yet not too much.

T: I am not a fan of bitter. This is right on the edge of too bitter for me. Not a stop, drop and roll - but not a power it down either. Bitter early, nice in the mid palate, then there is an astringent feel late.

M: Dry feeling throughout.

O: Probably not a repeat. The bitter is too far forward for my tastes. (573 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance was rich gold in color, with a slight murkiness, and thin white head...rather appealing. Aroma was faint, with a whiff of citrus. Taste was grapefruit and pineapple, with pine and herb and not enjoyable for me. Carbonation was rather light. Overall, this beer tries too hard to be an intense IPA--while unique, I found it very difficult to drink. I won't purchase again, and won't drink it again. (412 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25%

A little sweet and malty for my taste, but a nice head and well hidden ABV.

Pours nicely into a pint glass. Amber to straw in color with a thick, white, soapy head.

Aroma is malty, paired with orangey hops. Some pith hints at the bitters.

The taste is sweet, with malty hops bringing some oranged , light caramel, and hints sappy pine.

Mouthfeel is poppy bubbles but sticky sweet. Medium body.

Not what I was hoping for, but not bad. Well hidden ABV, with an interesting and intense balance of hops and malts. Ultimately, not my favorite profile. (551 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25%

This was at a beer bar and no one at the place knew what kind of style it was. I tried a small glass and wasn't able to tell myself. After reading that it's an American Wheat it makes sense. This is an ok beer but a little strong to have the typical advantages of a wheat; refeshing, etc. Good color, carbonation and smell. A little short on taste and mouthfeel. Worth a try but there are better ones out there. (411 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured out of a bottle into a Duvel.

A - Looks like liquid wheat in a glass. Nice pale golden ale. Poured with very little head and trace amounts of lacing.

S - Very sweet smell. Has a citrus smell of orange, grapefruit and tangerines.

T - Tastes nothing like it smells. Has a strong bitter taste that immediately hits the palate. A strong hoppy taste as well.

M - Ok. It is the type of beer that wipes away all taste immediately. Leaves a bitter almost metallic taste. It's has about a medium mouthfeel.

D - Not for me but if you like this style I am sure its drinkable as it is very light. The hoppy taste will really sit well with that crowd. (653 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This beer just did not appeal to my tastes. I typically like very hoppy beer, but this beer was just a mixed up mess of hops, tastes, bitterness and flavors. Compared to other high quality pale ales and IPA this is just average at best. I think they tried hard but failed. (272 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

Drank this out of a tulip. Lagunitas always impresses so I figured I'd give this one a try...

A: pours yellow-orange, some lacing and minimal head

S: California hops through and through

T: grapefruit, pine, hops on the front, sweet malt on the back end, maple syrup. Bitter finish that doesn't linger too long, hops and sweet stay with you

M: thick, decently carbonated, alcohol is well masked considering the high abv

D: I'm bored by this, no suggestion of the wheat. Though it's very drinkable like all of Lagunitas' beers, if I were to have to blind taste test this against another hoppy Lagunitas beer I'm not sure that I could tell the difference. It's pretty much just like any other strong IPA. (706 characters)

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company