A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,911 | Reviews: 1,569
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass

A--brownish gold with a little bit of chill haze. Pours a huge foamy head with thick sticky lacing. I'm not usually all that observant of how a beer looks, but a full glass of Little Sumpin' is just plain gorgeous.

S--juniper, grass, apples, and orange peel.

T--it's like an IPA...but not. The hops definitely have a presence, but they're neither overwhelmingly bitter nor characteristic of weaker IPAs. The elements of the smell come through in the taste, and it finishes with just a touch of bite from the alcohol. There are some beers that are best tasted in between sips. This is not one of those beers. When I am drinking it, the glass is tilted back with unprecedented frequency.

M--A little on the sticky side. Carbonation is fairly light. The mouthfeel is the only area that didn't wow me...it doesn't necessarily detract from the beer, but it doesn't stand out as spectacular.

Overall: It is hard to drink just one of these. The flavors are so incredibly balanced and it's such a beautiful looking beer that I want more. One of the cashiers at the store said she bought a case of 4 six packs and finished it off in under a week. I was skeptical at first, but I'm now determined to one-up her.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy pale golden color with slight carbonation showing with a thin slightly off-white head that clings to the side of the glass as poured.

S: A nice blend of a piney/florally hops with a slight tropical smell. I wish it were a bit stronger, it has me wanting more.

T: Slightly sweet and slightly bitter. A nice blend of sweet malts and a clean wheat taste with an overlying varying hops flavor from florally into tropical flavors.

M: A nice creamy body to it with soft yet fizzy carbonation.

O: I really like how this tastes, it has a nice complex flavor that makes you want to sip more and more.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a snifter.

A crystal-clear golden-orange body with a foamy white head that leaves more than a modest trace of lacing. Really a pretty beer.

Citrusy hops rule the nose with the slightest whiff of wheat malt that draws out some complexities as the beer warms.

Tastes of grapefruit and orange. The malt doesn't really seem to have a chance of being noticed, but, similar to the aroma it begins to quietly present itself as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel seems perfect throughout - enough body to deliver the mass amounts of hops without becoming too thick or syrupy.

It's been a few years since I last had this beers - it was one of the first craft brews I ever had, so I was relatively unaware of what I was trying - and I feel so pleasantly surprised at how fine it is. This is a great beer.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Little Sumpin' is one of those beautiful beers! This beer pours a clear orange body allowing you to see all the lively carbonation in the glass. A white frothy head has great lacing that lasts throughout most of the drink and leaves a nice happy trail on the glass.

S: Didn't expect this to be as hoppy as it is. It's like walking through an orange and grapefruit orchard.

T: An amazing tangerine and lemon flavor with floral and hoppy notes. There is some wheat in the aftertaste, but is barely there. Malts are also evident, but a carefully hidden. A light and lean flavor, it reminds me of drinking orange juice or Blue Moon on steroids.

M: A highly carbonated beverage with a light body. The texture is very soft and fizzy on the palate.

D: Tail Gate approval or Pounding Down Approval

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at High Dive in Park Slope.

A - Pours a lively gold with tons if bubbles rising in the glass. Average head that seemed to last.

S - Overall citrus (probably grapefruit) and a bit of grass perhaps. A very light aroma.

T - Amazing. Ripe fruits up front that give way to a roasted malt flavor. The wheat flavor is subtle.

M - 7.5% ABV is hidden quite nicely as I put away a few too many of these without realizing it.

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%

A 12oz bottle with no visible BB date. Picked up at the GBBF a little while back. I've been looking forward to this one...

Poured into a Delirium chalice. A rich sunset hue with good carbonation. Surprisingly clear. Yields a vast head of creamy white foam with good retention; this slowly reduces to a surface layer. The aroma is a kaleidoscope of intense, fruity hops with a backbone of sweet caramel malt. Notes of grapefruit, orange, lemon, citrus, pine, malt and a hint of wheat. Unusually sweet; almost sugary. Superb - not sure this could be improved.

Tastes like a hop barn with a hefty dose of malt chucked in! Notes of grapefruit, orange peel, citrus oils, pine resin, caramel, subtle yeast and stewed hops. Rather sweet but well balanced. A considerable bitterness upon swallowing; dry, spicy and astringent. Mouthfeel is smooth, tingly, spicy and dry, with good body. Can't help feeling it ought to be a tad more carbonated though. Quite astringent, with an aftertaste of bitter aromatic hops.

Wow - this is one amazing brew. Now I wish I could grab one whenever I like. A ton of aromatic hops and plenty of malt. The sweetness borders on sugary, but is kept in check by hop bitterness. Can't say I taste much wheat (as this is supposed to be a wheat ale) - it's more like an American IPA in character. Might also benefit from bottle conditioning? But I'm nit-picking; this is a superb beer and goes into my top 10. Add it to your must-try list and grab one if you see it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear golden, yellow,and amber with some carbonation with a medium sized head. The smell is very pungent with a huge citrus hop aroma,grapefruit,orange,pine,and bread yeast. A very nice smell. The taste has a blast of citrus flavor,grapefruit,lime,bread yeast,alcohol,and pine. This is really a good brew. The m/f is light with all the flavors mixing very well. This is a true classic beer. Cheers

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%

Hard to believe this is considered a Wheat Ale, a type I usually avoid. Fortunately I did not know before buying a 6-pack! I picked it because the label said IBU 74.2, and indeed, it is more like IPA than wheat beer. Better than regular Lagunitas IPA, not as good as their Maximus IPA. The label is kind of stupid, like St. Pauli Girl, so I turned the bottles around in our refrigerator so my wife couldn't see them.

Bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours with a long lasting bright white head of two fingers with a foamy/creamy texture. A healthy amount of chunky lace is deposited in sporadic fashion. The medium-light orange-yellow body is remarkably clear for a wheat ale.

S & T: Room filling aroma. Lightly toasted bready malts give way to a heavy dose of citrusy hops, mostly grapefruit and orange, mixed with bright, fresh summer fruit aromas and flavors. Peach and pineapple are especially prominent, making the delicous combination of flavors resonate for a long time in the mouth. Moderately sweet and, despite the high levels of hops, not overly bitter.

M: Medium-full texture with the typical slick and oily texture I've come to expect from Lagunitas. Ample carbonation, both lively and fizzy, increase the mouthfeel tremendously but overpowering any creaminess the wheat malt should have provided. The finish is bitter, but not as bitter as the hop-forward nose would suggest. I find the serving temperature sweet spot to be around 45-50 degrees.

D: Highly enjoyable and worthy of purchasing a case once a year.

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a pint glass pours a nice yellow red color with a fluffy head that leaves nice lace on the glass. Smell is simply amazing, the fresh hop smell of citrus aroma coming from the glass. Only a few beers have such an amazing hop smell to them and this is one of them. Taste is pretty awesome with a nice sweet malt taste with a nice overall hop bitterness towards the finish. This fresh feels like a nice IPA, strong and to the point with a nice hop profile, the alcohol also lends to a smooth warm finish. Overall this beer is really sumpin' and I was very impressed, Lagunitas knows how to make fine products.

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i liked this beer alot

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- One-fingered white head on top of a mid-golden/light-amber bier. Steady stream of carb bubbles rising to the surface. Little lacing.

S- Smelled this beer immediately after prying the first half of the cap off. Citrus hops reminiscent of Sculpin if my past-beer adventure memory serves me correctly. Wonderful.

T- Sweet then bitter. More citrus and hops. Dash of spice and honey thrown in there.

M- Nearly flawless I'd have to say. Crisp carb bite.

D/O- Wow, for a 7.5%abv beer one could almost make this a 6 pack night, wrecked palate and all. Alcohol presence is virtually non-recognizable...damn tasty. Wow, didn't think I'd like anything in this style more than Gumballhead but alas..here it is.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Rich amber with a nominal head that turned a little oily. Some lacing apparent along with nice carbonation.

S: Wonderful nose, I would expect nothing less from Lagunitas. Piney, lemony zest with just a hint of the wheat backbone.

T & M: Wow...this is one fine brew. I wasn't sure what to expect with a hopped up wheat but Lagunitas pulled it off. Nicely balanced and nicely bodied as well. Finish is just a touch on the sweet side with the hoppy tones coming through too.

D: Heavens yes this is drinkable, I will be picking this one up again. Lagunitas is quickly becoming my favorite brewery due to quality of the brews and the price too.

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is gaining popularity in Chicago for many reasons (Lagunitas opening their facility in the city, good distribution and great marketing) but the main reason it's owning the casual beer scene here is BECAUSE IT RULES.

Not to bring popularity into the discussion, that's not important. But this beer is gaining notoriety and I am a regular consumer of this when at pubs and restaurants.

This beer smells, feels, looks amazing. It tastes better than all that.

It has the appearance that any pale what ale SHOULD have. A nice orange-peel look to it. A beauty in a pint glass, even if it's a shit bartender pouring it.

Good citrus aroma before plunging into a smorgasbord of flavors ending in a dry finish.

I'd recommend it.

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%

Good two plus finger head extends right up to the pint glass rims, dense foam with interspersed big popping bubbles, slides right down the sides so minimal lacing until the glass is half empty. Ever so slight gauziness to the orange copper color, has more of a brown tinge than yellow or red, depth of hue retained throughout. The nose sparkles with sweet tangerine to pink grapefruit citrus, golden honey and pine sap, generous floral dew, the grains smell like sweetened breakfast cereal more than something in a farm silo, apricot and nectarine fruit scents lend further depth. Full-bodied, layers itself thickly onto the tongue, luckily has a consistent carbonated fizz to create as much prickle as grip. No duh, the tangerine and pink grapefruit citrus continues to hog the stage while other hops inspired flavors such as pine, flowers and tea leaf don't do too shabbily for themselves. More honey than cocoa or malty chocolate powder, however, is not really biting and dang smooth given the predominance of the hops. Some biscuit softness. Resiny finish prolongs finish for some time.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice golden color. Head is very small and doesn't hang out long.

Delicious hop bouquet. Very citric and fruity/sweet.

Flavor is a good maltiness covered in awesome hop flavor. Hops are almost all flavor; very little bitterness, just a mild amount in the finish. Nothing harsh. High ABV not noticed at all (in the flavor).

Full body/creamy mouthfeel.

Excellent. Could drink myself to death with this beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bright golden color, slightly hazy. The head was medium, and I had noce lacing down the glass. The smell to me wass IPA-ish, with a pronounced grapefruit and grassy aroma. Mmm, I didn't expect this, but am now excited to have bought this. The taste was also more like an IPA to me than a wheat beer. The grapefruit type taste hit me first, maybe a litte wheat in the background, but just sweep hop and fruity taste all the way through. Mouthfeel was awesome. What a great beer. I can't believe it took me this long to try one. I'll be back!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Yellow/golden color. Brighter than I originally expected.

Aroma: The aroma is my favorite part. A lot of citrus, especially grapefruit and orange. Honestly, I think I might like the aroma better than the taste.

Taste: More bitter than I expected, but in a good way... it is a good compliment to the rich citrus flavors. They didn't go over the top with the carbonation, which I liked a lot. Just a very smooth, slightly bitter taste that makes it easy to drink. I like the crispness of the after taste, which is rare with hoppy beers.

Overall: One of my favorite American Pale Wheat Ales to date. You've got to like the slight bitterness and the mix of citrus to enjoy this one. Very drinkable beer, perfect any time. Also, I should note that it tends to be more fragrant and taste better as it gets closer to room temperature.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Single bottle (no date) poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, but bright golden-orange color with a 1/4" dense off-white head. Strands, walls, and islands of lacing on the glass. Plenty of bubbles coming up through the beer. A very nice looking beer.

Smell: This is a very hoppy beer - very strong in grapefruit and mango smells, with some pine thrown in for good measure. Very appealing.

Taste: A perfect blend of citrus forward hops, a solid malt middle, and then a pine-like bitter hop finish. I'm not getting any wheat here but this is a well-done beer for something so hoppy.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is fleeting on the tongue (it's there and then is gone) followed by a good thickness to the beer that lingers but not too long. There is a coating on the tongue and teeth afterwards (probably all that hop oil) but I'm not complaining. Nice.

Drinkability: I noted the higher ABV fairly quickly with this one, but that's because it was so good that I drank it fairly quickly. That being said, this one is dangerous - I want another one but I know I shouldn't it. It's a great beer - went fantastic with a meal (mustard pork-chops and potato gnocchi) and I think it would be good alone also. I can see why so many people have rated this beer highly - it is a very very good beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Ok, wow. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a beutiful golden color w/ nice white fluffy head and sticky lacing. This is definitely one of the best smelling beers I've ever come across. Super hoppy w/ tropical fruits bursting, specifically pineapple. The taste is just as good, but more subtle. I personally am not getting alot of wheat. Mouthfeel is very juicy. Drinkability is good, so be careful at 7.5%, the alcohol is well hidden.

Damn, I feel like I'm drinking an IPA, super hoppy! This is great for the summer, too bad it's not year-round. Lagunitas really really comes though with this one. Recommended to anybody.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Haven't had a whole lot of experience with this style in the past, but I like most of what I've had from Lagunitas in the past and the price is always right. Poured into a pint glass.

A- A well-carbonated, pale yellow. Good lacing, a one finger head. Very good head retention. I like the way it looks.

S- Wow. As soon as I popped the bottle I knew the nose on this one would be incredible. Tropical fruits abound. A bit of floral hops.

T- Not quite as tropical as the nose, but certainly quite hoppy in just the way I like. Sweet, light malts. The wheat is slightly noticeable on the latter portion of the taste without overpowering the hop flavors. They work well together. A tiny hint of alcohol at the end, but not too hot for the ABV. Slightly lingering hoppy aftertaste.

M- Well-carbonated, light-bodied.

O- Extremely drinkable and certainly one of the best offerings I've sampled from Lagunitas. I'm usually not super crazy about wheat beers, but I will definitely buy this one again. Very enjoyable and definitely makes me want to try more highly regarded APWAs.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Clean golden with orange hues. One finger white head sticks around for the whole beer. Nice sticky lacing.
S: Nice citrus hop experience up front. Come orange peel, pineapple and topical fruits.
T: Gumballhead instantly comes to mind. Nice hoppy wheat ale. Tastes a lot like it smell citrus, tropical fruits. I don't get a whole lot of wheat character.
M: Medium mouth feel, nice lingering bitterness.
D: This is very drinkable. Nice summer brew refreshing and smooth bitterness. The high 7.5 ABV is very well hidden but catches up with you after a six pack.

Outstanding very hoppy American Pale Wheat. I loved gumballhead but it isn't available in MI. This is just even better. Outstanding!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a slightly hazy straw color with a finger of thick white head that retains and laces well. The aroma starts with spicy, herbal and piney hops, with a hint of caramel. The taste starts with notes of wheat and bready malt and finishes clean with spicy herbal hops. The mouthfeel is nicely carbonated with no lingering harsh flavors. Overall a great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- pours a transparent amber/golden color with a solid white head. medium lacing.

S- just like some cascade/ centennial hops with the lightest sweet malt.

T- just how it smells. the alcohol is very well hidden. damn good brew.

M- medium bodied. good carbonation.

D- doing shots and still knockin a 6 pack back!!

Overall- to me this brew is better than the little sumpin extra pale ale. i did a couple shots from hard luck candy ( MADE IN MI!!!) root beer barrel vodka and still managed to knock down 5 out of the 6 pack. i will prolly do one more shot and finish the 6. even tho i'm hammered i will say this is prolly lagunitas best brew. but i still haven't had the maximus ipa.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a light amber with an off white head. The smell is full of hops with a grapefruit scent being the strongest. The beer itself has many layers to the flavors. Grapefruit and pine notes from the hops mingle well with sweet fruit and spice from the malt. The flavor was well balanced and quite tasty. A favorite for sure.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company