Join our email list →

Lagunitas Brewing Company
California, United States | website

American Pale Wheat Ale | 7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,560 | Hads: 8,354
4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from my tap directly into a Delirium snifter--lines were cleaned within 2 days of the following review, taken in mid-May 2011.

A: Cloudy golden straw color. Thick finger of head that stays for days!

N: Pineapple, mango, & grapefruit.

T/M: Crisp hoppy citrus dominates, much like the nose. There is not much malt flavor to speak of, and the beer's body only further support this interpretation; the beer has a very light mouth-feel, which is most attributable to the heavy wheat bill this beer has.

Most people that I have shared this one with are incredible surprised to find out that is an American Pale Wheat...but after they learn that, they are not surprised by the categorization as much as they are impressed with Lagunitas's execution. If it were not for such an incredibly high ABV, this would the ultimate summer beer! It does not fill you up, it is crisp and refreshing on a hot day, but it really does creep up on you fast! At 7.5%, this beer may drink just a little too easy!

Overall, another winner from the good people of Petaluma!

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Continuing with my new review format, I enjoyed this delicacy during game seven as my beloved Celtics went to their demise (go Thunder!!!) Poured into a Stone Nonic pint glass. As it says on the bottom of the six pack carrier, this beer defies categorization and I happily agree. As a steady IPA and DIPA consumer, I found this to be a more than refreshing change of pace, it will definitely be a regular in my summer rotation. Heartily endorsed by the White Creek KRU!!!!

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It pours golden and clear with a full white head. It has citrus aroma and spruce. It has citrus flavors with floral, every hoppy and a quality bitter tap on the palate.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Hazy,yet still clear somewhat light golden orange, with nice creamy white head, leaving a good considerable amount of foamy lacing.

Very sweet, fruits, tropical fruits, maybe some banana,pineapples hit the nose. Very pleasant.

Very citrusy and fruity, without being overly getting sick from it sweet, but sweet nonetheless. Hops come in noticeably in the end, to balance it all out. Light to average carbonation,maybe below average carbonation,which is always a plus in my book. Medium body.

A damn fine beer,very interesting. Pleasant and sweet,while still being consumable for more than one or two,it makes a good session brew and a break from the usual.

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Golden, slightly hazy, medium carbonation, pretty nice looking.
S: Heavy centennial and chinook aroma, but fairly fresh, pine and grapefruit, decent.
T: OK, I am partial to not liking Chinook, and this is definitely featuring Chinook hops. I always get this cherry like sweetness from combining Chinook and malt, and it is featured here. The sweetness sort of builds. There is certainly an underlying pineyness and slightly orange flavor. The malts are kind of weird, perhaps a bit soapy. The wheat not doing much here, perhaps dries out the finish a tad, but playing back seat to hops and other sweet (honey?) malt character. Perhaps a bit lemony also, like lemon rind. As it warms, Cascade flavor coming out as well. This is not a poorly made beer, just not my style. Balanced, not overwhelming bitterness. Hop flavor and malt character doing its share to round things out.
M: Medium, maybe medium-full. Medium carbonation. A bit filling.
O: Hop heads (especially Chinook heads) will love this beer. I appreciate it, not my style.

3.95/5  rDev -6%

poured from a bottle into an indian wells brewing co pint glass. The body is a light yellow golden color, like a diluted honey. A thin creamy white head tops the brew which dissipates fast, nice cling action on the glass and leaves a thin top layer.

The smell I get reminds me of the wheat malty flavor of other wheat beers, that nice thicker creamy scent. But this one is accompanied by a huge amount of hops just like Lagunitas does most of their brews.

The flavors are great and quite varied, I get a nice bittering hop initially which is balanced with the sweeter wheat malt they added. The aftertaste gives you a sour citrusy flavor as well.

Although the color is very light don't let that decieve you, this brew has a great mouthfeel, it's solid which fills the palate completely with all the flavor in the brew at every taste.

Extremely drinkable, has a huge range of flavors and I really can't even put this beer into one category which I like about it. It has the wheat beer flavors but also those of an india pale ale combined with a mouthfeel I would expect out of a scottish cream ale. It's one of the more complex flavor profiles I have found with Lagunitas and it won't dissapoint.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

A - Translucent golden amber. Big fluffy off white head. Appears to be strongly carbonated.

S - Fruity and citrusy hops dominate the aroma. That's most of what I'm getting, but I like it. Definitely a different take on the style.

T - The softness of the wheat set against the sharp hop flavors really stands out for me on this beer. It's really different, and I really like it. I get a bit of caramel sweetness up front, and the bitter flavors come out more strongly as the beer slides back.

M - It does seem to be well carbonated, which gives the beer a nice prickly mouthfeel. It is on the lighter side of medium bodies, which I also like.

O - Overall, this was not what I was expecting, which was great. I really really liked this beer, and it is probably my favorite of the Lagunitas beers that I have tried.

3.59/5  rDev -14.5%

Now that I am in the southwestern US I've been looking for an alternative to Peak Organic Summer Ale, which I love. This is a very good beer but not quite what I was looking for, i will grab another six and try it again. I will still keep searching for something similar to the Peak Organic though.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite IPAs. If you like grapefruit & citrus tastes in your beer, you'll probably like this one. It's my go-to beer during football season.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12 oz poured into plastic hotel cup. Le sigh.

Appearance: Straw colored liquid with a white head that leaves a good amount of lacing along the side of the cup.

Smell: Very hop forward, but a little bit of sweetness to the nose.

Taste: Very much like the nose. Tasty.

Mouthfeel: a bittersweet aftertaste lingers.

Overall: a very nice, easily accessible beer.

4.24/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a bright gold with a soft white head that stays, leaving lacing.

Smell's like lemons, orange, and pineapple, with a yeasty and graininess to it.

Taste is refined, with a deep wheaty aspect, along with Citrus and pine. Also there's some fruity quality like peach and pineapple. Very tasty brew that I love to go back to time again.

Feel is lightly carbonated, with a nice pallet presence that keeps all the flavors well melded.

This is one of my favorites from Lagunitas and I will always seek this out fresh when I can.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Pouring out of a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a golden colour with a two finger wide head which dissipated fairly quickly. Leaves brilliant lacing.

S: Nose dominated by a pleasant hoppy aroma. Somewhat resiny with citrus in the background as well.

T: Citrus is a bit more prominent than in the smell. Definitely a fair amount of west coast hops which provide a nice crispness to the beer. There's also a clean finish on the beer with lingering hops. Taste is rather difficult to throw into any singular category, although there's definitely nothing wrong with this one.

M: Feels nice and smooth, definitely makes you want to head for another sip.

O: A very spot-on beer I'll certainly be coming back for somewhat regularly. Definitely has great flavours for the value of the beer. As I said, this beer does not easily fall into a specific category, but it's certainly a great brew.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I think this is a great beer... This beer once was in the top 250.. How it dropped off, I have no idea. This beer is definitely one of the best Ale's I've tasted.. I don't want to compare it to Sucks but they are somewhat similar ... It has a misty golden look, nice hoppy ale taste..I love the label of the bottle... Old fashion looking.. Cheers!!!

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Working on my third case of this one, its about time to review it. This is a killer session beer. Delicious fruity wheat underneath a rush of tangy and piney hops. Crisp and refreshing, leaves you wanting more every time you sip it. Nice light golden color, head is ok, froths up nicely at first and quickly dissipates. Fresh hoppy punch on initial taste followed by a sweet pineapply mid palate and dry crisp finish. Cant get enough of it. Drink it fresh.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer pours a golden straw color with only a slight haze, kind of surprising since this is a wheat beer. Had a nice head that fades into a wispy ring. The nose is mostly hops. Lovely piney and citrusy hops dominates while some sweet malts linger in the background. Taste just like the nose suggest. First its citrus and piney hops followed by a nice light malt flavor then a nice floral hoppy bitterness to wash it all down. Very nice. I'm not picking up on very many typicaly wheat beer flavors, I'm guessing they just wanted a nice light malt base to let those beautiful hop flavors and aromas to shine through. Nice mouthfeel and nice body, Not to heavy or thin. Perfect for a hot summer day.

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Thank God this beer is year round! I can't believe it took me so long to actually try it. Instantly a staple in my fridge.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Stone IPA glass.

Golden orange that is slightly see through. Fluffy 2 finger head with incredible retention. Kept a half finger fluff throughout the beer. Leaves extremely thick lacing. You can see carbonation racing to the top.

Smells of sweet wheat soaked in grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, slight peach, and sprinkled with pine needles. So damn good!

Taste follows the smell. Starts off with a sweet citrus hop that rolls into the grapefruit and it finishes with a dry wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel is smooth as silk. Great carbonation that really makes this beer dangerously drinkable at its 7.5% ABV.

Obviously I loved this beer. I'm really starting to become a believer in Lagunitas. Time after time, they impress the hell out of me. Will revisit this beer in about.... right now. Cheers!

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Corsendonk Tulip, 2011 production, well stored.

Pours a nice one finger head, thick, settles down into a 1/8” cap which hangs in there, a lively beer. Very attractive deep golden grain color.

Exceptional, powerful, yeasty, distinct banana smell, strong citrusy hop aromas, blonde malt, rather classy and very, very enjoyable, lasts and lasts. What it may lack in complexity it more than makes up for in shear enjoyment.

Crisp, hop bitter flavors on the first taste, followed by distinct yeast, citrus, some banana again, nice refined carbonation adds balance, smooth, full body, golden grain/bread, hops linger throughout the serving. Delicious!

Very good finish, hops, lots of citrus, and noticeable banana/yeast.

This is delicious ale and a surprise from Lagunitas which mostly has not overly impressed me with their offerings, but with this they have hit a home run. Very, very drinkable even though the ABV is 7.5%, the ABV is never noticeable. A unique taste, different from any other ale I can think of at this time. Definitely worth buying by the case, even though it is a little pricey in my area at around $48. Note: Even my “Light Beer” buddies liked this one!

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

For starters, I prefer this to A Little Sumpin' Wild. I'm not a huge fan of Belgium styles, and I thought this was more mild and drinkable. It Pours orange-yellow with big foamy head. The smell and taste is sweet and floral, with some sourness to follow. It has a nice medium body that is crisp. I prefer the orange-hoppy bite in this brew to the thick sweetness in the Wild. It has a wheatiness, almost making it a hybrid of sorts. I had a few of these.

4.01/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a bottle into pint glass in June 2015.

Appearance: Hazy light gold with almost white head. Head is very thick and sticks to the glass.

Smell: Strong citrus aroma, like grapefruits. Also get some hops and pepper aromas, but the citrus aroma dominate the others.

Taste: Nice balance and variety of flavors. There is a strong hops and citrus flavor but with a little pepper flavors as well. There is some sweetness too, and the hops do not dominate.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, and very smooth.

This is an interesting IPA. It has a nice mix of grapefruit, hops, and other flavors, which makes it interesting. I like the overall balance, and that the hops do not dominate the flavor. A very good ale.

4.24/5  rDev +1%

An American Pale Wheat Ale, huh? Interesting...

12oz bottle popped open and poured into my White Birch glass. This one pours a golden amber color with a dash of tangerine/orange. A fairly sizeable three finger bone white head arises and falls in approximately two minutes. What is left is a great wispy, sticky white lacing clinging all over the glass.

The smell on this thing knocked my socks off. This is the fruitiest beer I have ever come in contact with. The initial smell is damn near the smell of a freshly opened can of fruit cocktail. Pear and apricot dominate the profile. Sweet citrusy hops and tangerine are found. It smells like fresh fruit and is simply amazing. From the smell I wouldn't call this one a wheat ale as it smells quite hoppy, but this is still one of the best smelling pale ales I have ever encountered. The fastidious sweet breadiness helps confirm the wheat ale part of it.

A lot of pear, apricot and tangerine in the taste. Very floral and citrusy with some grassy flavors as well. A nice bitter hoppy bite latches onto your taste buds and stays for the ride. The taste doesn't quite live up to the nose but it is still incredibly enjoyable.

This one is super smooth and extremely easy to drink...dangerously easy to put down at 7%. Drinkability would be higher if the flavor could match the incredible nose on this thing. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side and the alcohol is not really detectable. A solid brew indeed.

3.57/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a beautiful glimmering orange with a fluffy head and modest lace.

Hops run across the nose. Sweet and rindy citrus--orange, lemon, and grapefruit.

Everything else takes a backseat to the rindy hops. It's a bit phenolic, and grapefruit is prominent. It's nice for a couple of sips, but I'm left wanting something more well rounded. The carbonation is smooth, and there's adequate body and a mild astringency.

The ABV is too high, and the hops become way too much after a while. I wouldn't want more than one--actually, I don't even think I'd want more than half a bottle in one sitting.

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours golden hazy, straw, big head, lacing
Hops are hard to the nose and tongue. A citrusy bouquet and mouth. The wheat tries to fight it off but the hops win. Light boozy tingle.
Light on the mouth, especially for the 7.5%.
This is a pale wheat? Ha! More like a wheat IPA. Thanks again Lagunitas, for making a beer that doesn't quite fit into a specific style.

4.61/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured this into a snifter in order to best capture all the aromatic qualities.
The body is a clear golden amber, with a creamy white pillow of a head that soon sinks but never leaves.
A potent caramel freight train makes it's way up your nasal passages, lugging along a hefty amount of tangerines, orange creamsicles, apricots, black pepper, and rock candy, then slams into your frontal lobe in a fiery crash. This should make the news.
That same train enters the palate and explodes into a three ring circus of spicy, piney, sweet, and citrusy indulgence.
The mouthfeel is light and easy. This brew massages the throat all the way down and the high ABV of 7.50% leaves you with a rather happy ending.
Overall, I couldn't be anymore impressed.

3.47/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Purchased a 6 pack for $10.50 from a great big beer store in my area. Served in a hill farmstead stem at 45 deg F.
A: Crystal clear, golden amber toned with a small 2cm head from a moderately aggressive pour which dissipates to form a ring and a tiny island of single layer Co2 bubbles. Champagne bubbles arising from the bottom. This beer chokes up a good sized head when agitated and it appears to be white with a yellow tinge.

A: Lemon, yeast, bread, wheat.

T: thick sliced bread, yeasty with a hint of citrus fruit, malt present in the background. The taste of stale bread lingers on minutes after sipping.

M: clean, crisp, lightly carbonated. This beer is light and goes down easy.

O: the wheat really shines through on this one, and im not getting the hop profile I would expect from a beer going neck and neck with gumball head. I think I prefer this beer out of the bottle because I get less wheat taste from it. I will drink it again because there are 5 left from the 6-pack. I would like to try this beer fresh from the brewery to get a better idea of where they were trying to take the hop profile.

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Mmmm...this is friggin' delicious. Poured from a bottle into a goblet, and let me first say, love the pinup-girl label. All beers should have pinup-girl labels. Gave it a good pour, and didn't get much of a head there, but what was there was densely formed by lots of tiny bubbles. For a wheat, not real cloudy (I even gave it a swirl at the end, which I think did absolutely nothing), but really nice light amber color. The nose is great, pine, candy, berry, definitely some sour yeastiness. Love it. Flavor is great, sweet but nice backing bitterness from the hops and alcohol. Mouthfeel is pretty perfect, light with a punch. Overall, this is a kickass beer. Totally worthy of the over-ten-bucks pricetag, and I will definitely get this again.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company