A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,902 | Reviews: 1,566
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely amazing smell - very tropical, fruity and fresh. It is very smooth and pretty light on the feel. I really enjoyed this beer and could have several of them and be happy.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Pours a light golden color, similar to a pilsner, but slightly darker and more opaque. Great head retention and thickness that is pure white. Parts with a thin and scattered lace on the glass.

S - Hops definitely dominate this aroma. The malts are present and the spices from the wheat are noticeable, but the hop bitterness really stands out.

T - This beer is an "American Pale Wheat Ale." The name describes the taste perfectly in terms of color, lightness, and a hint of spicy flavor. The flavors completely mask the 7.5% abv. with the aid of the 64.2 IBUs.

M - This beer really satiates all parts of the tongue by delivering exactly what it states. No hot alcohol burn, but a perfect kick from the hops and wheat.

D - At 7.5% abv. this beer is dangerously drinkable. The light color and crisp taste really throw me off. I feel as though I'm drinking a normal, lower %, pale ale until I look at the bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

i go back and forth on this brew. the "limited release" gets me going on a bit. (if it really's "limited").

soemetimes it tastes hoppier than others. a little inconsistent (in bottles at least).

but when it's good, it's GOOD.

nb--i had a pint or two at melt bar and grilled in cleveland.

^a whole different animal. EXCELLENT on draft. freakin' outta this world.

bottom line--in bottles i can give this an A- or B+. on draft fresh--a solid A.

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. The head is smooth, creamy and off white. Nice retention. The beer is a nice, cloudy amber color.

The smell is hops, nice fresh hops. Very clean.

Mothfeel is smooth with the right amount of carbonation.

What is this, anyway? It says it's a wheat beer but it tastes like and IPA and a good one at that. Nice and hoppy and smooth. Defintite pine flavors. The alcohol is hiding somewhere but you won't find it until later. This is a nice effort. I'm looking forward to the next bottle.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a clear golden amber with one finger of fluffy white head.

The nose is mostly hops. Grapefruit and pine with a bit of grassyness. Only a slight hint of wheat.

Taste follows the nose: fruity hops dominate followed by a grassy/earthyness. Good malty sweetness follows the hops for a nice balance. Again, slight wheat in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with little carbonation with a dry finish.

Drinkability is good. Not the best example of the style but very tasty in its own right. Definitely an enjoyable beer.

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

A: The kind of head you'd expected from a wheat beer, frothy white foam cap. Pale amber color that has a slight haze to it.

S: Way more hops than your typical wheat ale. Very floral and grassy but balanced by a sweet bready aroma.

T: Not as much hops in the mouth as the nose, though certainly more than your typical wheat ale. In some ways its reminding me of Gumbalhead with a more bitter finish. It has a sweet bubblegum and fruit start that's cut quickly by the bitter hops. Malt backbone is present in the finish.

M: Somewhat disappointing, it seems as so as you swallow it all trace is gone. Probably due to the thin body and high carbonation. I guess that's kind of how it's suppose to be though.

D: On a hot day I could easily see myself drinking a six pack of this and not even thinking twice about it being over 7%. Its crisp and refreshing with enough hop presence to take in before each gulp.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Had from a 12 oz bottle in a tulip glass

A = Crystal clear. Nice light golden color. Good head. So far, we're looking good.

S = Smells like an IPA (even though they say it isn't). Citrus and hops prevail.

T = Tastes like a light IPA to me. Very nice - not too hop crazy.

M = No bitter after taste that is typical of an IPA.

O = Really liked this beer. I can see what they mean when they say it is hard to categorize.

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Nice light brown coloring. Golden amber.

S - Citrus, and hoppy.

T - Initial taste, very hoppy and sweet. Doesn't have that hoppy over the top bite to it though. I can also taste a caramel undertone. There is a mild bitterness that lingers in the back of your mouth. Top notch.

M - Has a pretty light feeling to it. At 7.2% it's definitely no light beer but goes down easily. The hops and the carbonation give it a nice crisp feel.

Overall this is a fantastic beer. Lagunitas is making some killer stuff and they've yet to disappoint! I feel very lucky to be able to have access to many different types of beer they make from their Cappuccino Stout to Brown Shugga. They all come highly recommended. Cheers.

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into a pint glass from the 12 oz. bottle.

Pale golden-orange color with a very slight haze to it. White head and lots of beautiful bubbles lurking below the surface from the carbonation.

Smell is of floral hops with some tropical fruit aromas. A bit of an underlying sweetness.

Hard to believe this is a wheat beer - starts out with very straightforward grainy, dry malt; quickly followed by the hops that begin piney and floral, but quickly turn into a biting rindy bitterness that lingers for some time. In fact, this aftertaste is, to me, the most noteworthy characteristic of this brew - the resonant bitterness that fades slowly away.

Mouthfeel is a great balance of crisp carbonation and smooth, medium body. Pleasant and drinkable.

A nice offering, although, if inspired by Three Floyds' Gumballhead, it really doesn't match up. Gumballhead is so much more balanced and nuanced. This is bold and for the most part, well done, but appears hamhanded next to a brew like Gumballhead. But that's just my opinion.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Interesting. Half wheat - half IPA. Very tasty.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Golden, almost amber color. A nice two finger head that quickly dissipates, but leaves beautiful lacing

S: Tons of tropical fruit like papaya, mango, pineapple. A nice carmel maltiness that balances the slight hop bitterness

T: Hops are there, but not in a bitter way. Very herbal-like quality to the hops. Nice and juicy, mostly papaya and mango flavors.

M: Medium bodied with tons of carbonation.. Relatively dry finish

D: Extremely high. Could easily drink 4 of these

O: Amazing beer. The tropical fruitiness gives this brew a nice juicy character. Good for hopheads, yet good for those who aren't. Check it out if you can

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

See this all the time, thought I should finally try it

A - Not a lot of head, but what is there leaves a ton of lacing

S - Pretty crazy: biscuit, big red gum, cookie spices, raw flour, a lot of hop presence: getting citra and chinook big time. Obviously a great amount of wheat malt and maybe roasted pale malts

T - Wheat astringency, good amount of hoppy bitterness, some juicy hops. Big malts, big hops

M - Almost drying, like tap water with some implied astringency. Alcohol is very well hidden

Definitely gets points for originality. It definitely is a "little sumpin" cause I have no idea what just happened

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

nice, clean, warm, almost full-inch head. the lacing is clear and proper foamy, sticks around forever. pours a cool, golden-slime yellow into a nice, translucent heavy-champagne tone. slight, slight sediment present in the body.

smells of oranges and hella hops with a citrus overtone. first hit of the nose reminds one of a christmas tree. mighty floral.

light, citrus, refreshing on-bringing with a crisp wet finish. those floral hops ever so linger. hops here have a unique and mellow taste and feel.

a great, well crafted beer. one of my faves to review so far. damn proud of lagunitas, damn proud.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

A: What I would call your typical "West Coast Golden" color. To be expected for the type of beer.

S: Definitely a citrusy aroma permeates through the head of this. Not overwhelming, but again, to be expected

T/M/D: This one set me back in my seat a little. A terrific explosion of hop flavor dominates. Candied grapfruit/tangerine/orange flavors. Wonderful. What really surprises me though is that the mouthfeel of this beer really has a nice chewyness to it. I've heard that Lagunitas uses the Fuller's yeast strain, and in my experience of using that strain in my own homebrewed IPAs, I'd say that's what really lends a hand here in the body of the beer. Overall there is still a great crispness to the beer that invites you to take another drink. This falls within my classification of dangerously drinkable beers. The 7.5% sure gives a whallop, but it's too late to do anything about it because all of a sudden you've pounded 3 of them down.

I'm really starting to get a lot of respect for this brewery, and am sorry that it's taken me this long to get around to trying this and some of their other terrific offerings.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

A: Golden amber with an almost honeycomb-like hue. Perhaps slightly darker than I would have pegged a beer that is notoriously this hoppy. Huge, tri-fingered head that seems to be receding rather quickly, leaving a sufficient amount of lacing.

S: Hops that seem to scream with their juicy character rather than with any bite themselves. I'm getting a strong sense of grapefruit and coriander as my nostrils delve deeper and deeper into the glass. I must be careful, or a noseful of foam is imminent!

***At this point, I should make note of the lacing. It seems to be rather patchy, but I like it. It adds a sort of hidden elegance to my glass.

T: Ah, the time has finally come to take a swig of this wondrous beverage. The head has all but receded completely as I begin my journey...

Oh my god. For lack of a better two-word term, I'm in "hop heaven." This beer is spectacular. I'm a hop-head, to be sure, but I feel like this brew could be appreciated by beer lovers of all sorts. Granted, it has enough hops to make your face turn green, but it also has an undeniable sweetness aspect to it that makes it deliciously, and dangerously, drinkable.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation, and perfect feeling on my palate. I really don't think that Pale Ales get better than this. I am typically an IPA man, but this beer alone is making me rethink my style preference.

D: Well, I started the day off with a Dead Guy Ale (My first Maibock [I'm a n00b!]) and now I'm on my second Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. I seriously doubt I'll have any of these left in my six-pack before the day is over.

A special shout-out to Mike from Brawley's for recommending this. I've known about this beer for quite some time, but was initially going to buy a bomber of Hop Stoopid before Mike recommended I put that back and buy a sixer of this. Thanks Be To Mike!

Drinkability is indeed worthy of perfect score. I'm polishing my sixer now!

One year later...

Look: Light golden orangey combination; appears to be citrusy as all getout. We'll see if the nose matches up. Minimal lacing; small amount of head.
Smell: Very fruity. Mandarin oranges, and perhaps a hint of white grape juice. A somewhat distinct yeasty character.
Taste: So citrusy. It's a hop bomb without the characteristic bitterness. I'm not terribly educated on all of the hop strains, but this one's bursting with the most citrusy of the breed. Excellent. Refreshing. Masks the 7.5% abv quite well.
Feel: Heavily carbonated. It's almost like drinking an orange, alcoholic Fanta (except much more delicious than that experience would be).
Overall: Though I've limited experience with "American Pale Wheat Ales," I like to categorize this beer as more of an American IPA with significantly more citrus and less bite. Thus, it is in my top five of American IPAs.

***Addendum: Noticed it's brewed with all of the "C" hops on the beer's BA page. I'm assuming that includes "Citrus"...

3.83/5  rDev -9%

A - Two-finger white head that bubbles down into a slight coating on the top which remains....pretty much forever. Heavy lacing on the glass. Some of the lacing has stuck where the beer was first poured to and hasn't moved an inch. Nice, deep-yellow color with a hint of cloudiness. 4.5

S - Floral, hoppy smell. Very pleasant and hints at the flavor. 4.0

T - Very sweet citrus flavor with strong, bitter hop notes at the end. The taste is quite bitter (almost a little too bitter for me) at the end but still e

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Taste like flowers.....beer flowers.

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Poured into an imperial pint glass, it appears wheat-field golden brown with orange highlights. The head pours into a tight 1" meniscus, and leaves curtains of small-holed lace down the side.

S: The aroma is white grape juice, sour lemons, and earthy vegetable garden notes.

T: The first flavor I would describe as sweet balsam, although I doubt that's what it would taste like I actually put a balsam branch in my mouth. I also get flavors of zucchini bread, rye, and herbaceous peppercorn. There is a long bitter but sweet lemony finish.

M: This feels heavier than the golden appearance would indicate. The finish gets drier as it continues, but is not sticky or unpleasant.

D: Bitter and piney but not tongue-burning, and sweet but not cloying, this is a balanced and refreshing beer. I went through two bottles quickly, and found myself wondering if this would be even more sterling right from the tap.

4.21/5  rDev 0%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.
a-It looks like a pale ale perhaps a little light with a very slight opacity.
s-Very full and balanced between citrus and cascade hops. Extremely strong, but not overpowering. This is the best quality of the beer.
t-There is a nice balance of hops, but cascade takes the lead. There is a nice, slight bitterness in the initial taste that switches to a very very light malty sweet aftertaste.
m/d-very light in the mouth and goes down really smooth. This is much more drinkable than I expected

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Honey yellow color, cloudy. Finger width of white foam.
S: Strong hops aroma. Fruity with lots of grapefruit.
T: Very potent grapefruit taste and also quite a bit of sweetness. Bitter tang at the end. Lighter in malt taste than Lagunitas Lucky 13.
MF: Light mouth feel. Medium carbonation.
D: Very refreshing beer. Interesting combination of flavors. Nice for hot summer days. Would go well with picnic fare. Definitely would order this beer again.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Pale orange with a full finger of fluffy, cloudy white head. A bit of haze, but still enough clarity to see through

S - Sweet fruits, hops and orange juice and tangerines

T - wheat undertones with a fresh citrus burst of tangerines and lemons. Pine flavor comes through on the back end with a dry finish

M - Crisp and dry, moderate carbonation, medium light coating of the mouth

O - Great refreshing beer with a dry finish are the lasting points here. Goes down a little too easy for the alcohol content. Could be dangerous.

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Deep golden to orange with nice foamy head. Smell is amazing. Lots of bright citrus fruit with a hint a pine. Quite hoppy for a wheat beer but very tasty. Sour lemon tartness and bready with a full body. Some sweetness from the malt is present but it's balanced by the bready yeast and wheat, by the lemony sourness and by the hops. Not what I was expecting but very enjoyable.

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle into 16 ounce Goose Island Glass

Appearance: light amber with a medium thick white head.

Smell: Hoppy, citrusy, piney,

Taste: piney, citrusy, citric, breaddy, bitter-sweet. It goes down very smooth and it's very refreshing.

The mouthfeel is medium thick and highly carbonated.

Overall, This is a great hoppy beer. I'm not a big fan of Wheat Ale's but the hop presence in this one doesn't disappoint. It is definitely one of my favorites Wheat Ales.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Drank 6.29.14, poured into a Lagunitas Mason Glass from a 12oz bottle.

A: Bright and clear, coloring similar to a fine filtered apple juice. An aggressive pour results in 1.5 fingers worth of very light, bubbly, stark white head... which slooowly dissipates leaving behind copious amount of lacing. Retains a nice moderate cap. Carbonation is very visual, and long lasting.

S: Immediately reminds me of Gumballhead, only more aggressive. Citrus notes of grapefruit and lemon, has a very tart aroma to its hops which is backed by a malted wheat scent. Overall, a pretty mild nose for something with 70+IBU

T: Malty sweetness, followed by a kick of crisp citrus, and finishes with a soft, bready malt that lasts a few seconds after sip, leaving your mouth with only a ghost of hop bitterness until you reach for your next taste.

M: Smooth and crisp, this beer is all sorts of dangerous given its 7.5% ABV. Pretty typical feel for the style, but the crispness is what sets it apart. Medium body with moderate, short lasting carbonation.

O: A refreshing, unique, simple beer that goes down way too easy for something that tastes so good. One of my summer go to beers.

2.78/5  rDev -34%

Mehhh not a hop head sooo ya, this beer poured great looked and smelled beautiful. Give me a beer I can sit and easily drink over this one. However it was fun to try. If it's your thing cool.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company