Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,505 | Hads: 8,070
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap in a 12oz pint-style glass.

A: Radiant gold with a small white head that leaves some decent lace.

S: Lively aromas of spicy yeast, biscuity malts, and just a touch of citrus hops.

T: Very appealing taste - characteristic wheat-beer notes of fruit and spice with a cereal maltiness underlying it all. Quite tasty.

M: A little thin with spiky carbonation.

D: Hides the substantial ABV amazingly well; very drinkably wheat beer for this strength.

Notes: this didn't quite taste like any any beer I'd had before, but I certainly enjoyed it. Anyone who likes wheat beers should give this one a shot.

Cheers! (616 characters)

Clear, dark yellow, strong hop aroma, dense head, fall away as you drink and leaves lacing (although I don't consider that important some on this site do). Sweet malt, hop bitterness and alcohol in aroma. This is a warming beer. The bitterness is the first thing I notice when I drink it. Second, a brightness associated with high alcohol beers. The alcohol is noticable, not bad, just noticable. Bitterness also builds as you drink. I'm very pleased with this beer. A good IPA. (478 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A large fizzy white head sits atop a crystal clear golden-yellow body. The head quickly receded leaving a light, spotty film down the glass.

S: Bright citrus hops. Lemon-orange and some pine. Not much of a wheat/grain character as I would have expected.

T: Lemon tinged hop bitterness is highly pronounced. Light wheat flavor and a slightly off pseudo-bitterness. Not sure how to describe it other than to compare it to an alcohol burn but more in the front of the mouth than in the back of the throat.

M: Dry and crisp finish to a light bodied brew. Not particularly refreshing.

D: The aroma is the highmark for this beer. The taste has a slightly off bitterness to it that diminishes an other wise nice lemon-wheat flavor. Again this beer smells and looks like it should be a nice refreshing brew, but alas it falls short. (832 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -9%

Vigorous pour produces a three fingered, ivory white head on this pale wheat ale. Color is a brilliant golden, quite attractive. However, for a wheat ale-this is filtered and doesn't have the cloudiness I desire, even if this is an American Pale Wheat. Head retention is rather weak, fading to a thin collar within a minute or so, leaving no lacing. Aroma is pure hop goodness with big time notes of sweet lemon, orange, and pine. Little to no wheat tartness emerges, leaving this somewhat wanting. Regardless of that, I scored it above average because of Lagunita's hop brilliance.

Taste is hop-forward, sweet lemon leads the way bolstered by a light touch of wheat and sweet light crackery malt. Mid-palate a light orange flourish emerges, along with a honey sweetness. I don't know how much wheat was included in the malt bill, but this ale could use some wheat tartness and perhaps better attenuation. The somewhat dry bitterness on the finish is pleasant and bolsters the overall taste score.

Body is medium bodied, as is the carbonation. A slightly more vigorous carbonation would be appreciated. Drinkability is a bit of a conundrum. Served fresh this is a quenching hop-monster for the style, however I'm not sure a 7.3% abv is necessary. I like my pale wheats to be sessionable and boy do I want to down a sixer of this in a hurry. That, however, is not recommended. All together, this a well put together ale, certainly in the west coast tradition of brilliant hops, but could use some work. Recommended for hop heads who are hesitant to sample wheat beers. (1,570 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Taco Mac Metropolis.

Hazy/golden in appearance with a nice white head. Smell is honey, citrus, hops, and more hops. Taste is incredible - hoppy and fruity, yet smooth and delicious. Nice lacing down the glass, the smell of yeast and honey increases as you go. The alcohol is present, but well hidden considering the 7+ ABV. Drinkability is almost too good; this one will catch up with you if you're not careful.

This quickly became one of my go-to beers for the summer. Upon my last haul, I was sad to see it had disappeared off the shelves at all the stores around town. (583 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz stubby brown twist top bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A: Nearly clear light golden amber with a tightly packed white head that unfolds slowly and rests in a thin cap in a few minutes after the initial pour, nice lacing, sticks like icicles on the edge of a roof on the inside of the glass.

S: Honey sweetness that reminds me a bit of Hopslam, strange how honey can convey bitterness. Got a bit of pears just the slightest little back current of bubble gum like sweetness

T/MF: Tastes a bit more restrained than the aroma would indicate. Alcohol is remarkable hidden and drinks like a slightly heavier version of a Gumballhead. Wheat comes in midway through and helps balance the bitterness this beer foists on you, it's sort of amazing how it's able to be detected at all considering. Finishes with a slight off taste that I don't find in Gumballhead but I think this is perhaps owing to the heavier aspects of this beer.

D: Finish is a bit to mediciol for my tastes in a pale wheat ale, just too much hops here I think but otherwise a well executed beer. Worth a shot our of curiosity for what could be considered an imperial pale wheat ale. (1,163 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +8.1%

On tap at Lagunita's new tap room/Beer Garden on 7/18/09. Served in a plastic logo cup.

A - Very effervescent, hazy amber/orange body with about a finger's width of creamy off-white head that retained exceptionally well and deposited thick, foamy lace around the cup.

S - Very aromatic West Coast hop nose. I smelled this across the table! Pungent pine and citrus character with grapefruit... a lot of grapefruit... an inordinate amount of grapefruit, actually. Not that I'm complaining. Oh yeah, there's some sweet caramel malt in there too.

T - Juicy grapefruit blended with a touch of sappy pine, although flavor is again more on the citrusy side of the spectrum. Sweet caramel malts keep this from heading into hop overload.

M - Medium bodied with a sticky, somewhat oily texture and moderate carbonation. Very slick mouthfeel overall. Assertive bitterness on the palate, but lots of residual sweetness as well.

D - This is easily my new favorite offering from Lagunitas! This is a really citrus-forward brew with fresh grapefruit out the wazoo, almost like Ballast Point Dorado without the alcohol presence. Awesome! (1,130 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Golden-yellow, slight chill haze. Sexy, fluffy, white head. Lingers fora while at about an inch.

S: Grassy, citrus, floral come to mind when describing the wonderful hop aromas. Faint honey-like sweetness in the aroma as well.

T: Suprising for a pale wheat, this beer has the hops on front stage. A great thing for a hop lover like me. Honey sweetness in the malts with a hint of tartness. Beautiful balance of the bitterness.

M: Light bodied and crisp which makes this a great summer sessioner.

D: This is a great beer. Definitely a summer beer, but for the hop lover. I hear there is a lil sumpin extra coming out. I can't wait. In the meantime, I'll be drinking this. (677 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The first of my 2nd mix 6 pack from Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem, my new 2nd home. Also my first Lagunitas so I was excited to try this summer brew.

A: Hazy, golden color with a slim ivory head that stuck around for most of the ride and left good lacing.

S: Citrus and spicy aromatics with a side of melon.

T: Really quite fantastic, opens with the wheaty, citrus combo which is followed up perfectly bit a crispy, hoppy, yeasty undertone. I'm a huge fan of balance and this brew has got it in spades.

M: Medium body with good carbonation, lovely aftertaste.

D: A fantastic balance between Summer Wheat and IPA, an excellent brew. Well this was quite a first experience with Lagunitas and one that will ensure I'm back for more. The best Pale Wheat Ale I've had yet, a wonderful experience. If you're looking for something unique and refreshing but with a bit of bite and body, go with this brew! (901 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

I can't believe this is a wheat. It is full of Hops, and reminds me of an IPA which I like very much. Worth searching out. It pours with a small head that leaves nice lacing as you finish. It has a nice bronze color, has a nice peppery IPA smell. The hops jumps right out at you and stays with you till the end. Very good effort. (329 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

On tap at Stub and Herb. Served in a unmarked pint glass.

Color is golden, with the slightest tint of copper or amber. Lively carbonation. Served with only a thin ring of head, and leaves no lacing.

The nose is not like wheat I've ever had. This is more of an IPA to me. Piney and resiny hops, with just the slightest floral quality.

Just as I would expect from the nose, hoppy and hoppy. A light carmel malt backbone, and no wheat anywhere. No sign of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is light, with a bite from the hops. Bitter aftertaste. Solid drinkability.

I just wasn't feeling this beer. It's definitely not a wheat beer, and it's not even that good of an IPA. (658 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

This beer has been getting a lot of hype lately, and I was finally able get my hands on some. Here is my review:

A: Pours a golden amber. Head is nice and thick. Lacing is present.

S/T: The aroma is very hoppy. Lots of pine, citrus and resin notes. Taste is good, but not as hoppy as the aroma would indicate. Hops are somewhat citrusy with a herbal undertone in there. A little resiny. Not very bitter at all. Malt balances out the hops very well. I don't get a whole lot of wheat, but there is traces of it in the finish. Not a very complex beer, but a decent tasting one.

M/D: Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Finish is very clean with no lingering bitterness. Drinks very easily and I would never guess this beer is over 7% ABV.

I had pretty high hopes for this beer, and I was a bit disappointed. I definetly prefer Southern Tier Uber Sun and Three Floyds Gumballhead, but this is a decent summer offering and is worth checking out. (938 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

From the Main Tap in El Cajon

A - Light honey some small head and lace.

S - Very hoppy, but a light feeling overall.

T - HUGE hops, light malty caramel center.

M - Nice balance overall, good carbonation and coating.

D - Such a nice beer. Would like to see it in bottle! (274 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Poured a hazy gold with a big head and lots of carbonation.

S - Citrus hops up front with some pine freshness. Not a whole lot of malt on the nose with all those delicious hops making their presence known.

T - Wow! Now that is good! Lots of hop flavors up front, great citrus flavor without too much grapefruit. The malt does not take a back seat though, it shines through pretty early with some sweetness that really balances out the hops and the alcohol. Not a big fan of wheat beer in general but this is amazing, it adds a great bready flavor without standing out. This beer lets you know that wheat is not only for lawnmower beers.

M - Not as dry as I was expecting but certainly not heavy, good middle of the road feel. I thought the carbonation was a little high but I suppose it was on for a wheat beer.

D - This is a big beer but it is very balanced and extremely drinkable.

Overall, I think this is my favorite beer from Lagunitas. I have been mixed on them in the past, thinking some are great and other fall short of expectations. This beer exceeded what I was expecting. (1,092 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Other then the IBU and ABV I had no idea what to expect from this beer when I brought it home

A - It poured a clear light copper color with a 2 finger thick white head. Plenty of carbonation visible. Good Lacing.

S - Very sweet pine and grapefruit smell. It's a cross between a good IPA aroma and a Belgian Pale ale.

T - Tastes just like it smells at first. It attacks with a full citrus hop taste finishes with a very solid malt backbone. Touches of a sugary wheat malt come through on further sips and as it warms up a bit.

M - It's a fairly heavy beer, but very smooth and easy to drink. Just enough carbonation to keep the mouth from being overwhelmed.

O - Awesome beer. I don't know if I would be insulting anybody by saying this but its like a light DIPA. I'm going to keep this in the fridge as long as its around. (829 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a golden color. Decent head, decent retention, decent lacing.

Big hop aroma. Citrus and spice. Very fruity. Some toasted malt, as well.

The bready malt and wheat are evident at the very beginning. A nice bitter hop burst follows. The hop flavor in this beer is very pleasant...it seems like it has more character than the average wheat ale. Dry, lightly bitter finish.

Medium bodied. Less carbonation than I'm used to for a wheat, but it doesn't detract from the mouthfeel. 7.3% ABV is completely masked. (563 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25%

This was at a beer bar and no one at the place knew what kind of style it was. I tried a small glass and wasn't able to tell myself. After reading that it's an American Wheat it makes sense. This is an ok beer but a little strong to have the typical advantages of a wheat; refeshing, etc. Good color, carbonation and smell. A little short on taste and mouthfeel. Worth a try but there are better ones out there. (411 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -3.1%

the visual evidence of wheat is not overwhelming. head and lacing are nice, but the haze is minimal. pale, though not quite gold--a pallid amber

the aroma is (quite predictably?) a hop whallop. i think it's columbus but i suppose it could be simcoe (i am out of shape, so to speak. haven't brewed in awhile...why not both?). i can't really get past the hop--the malts might have an aroma

tastes mostly like hop, too. the body is robust enough to be the hop payload's vehicle, but only barely. honestly, i hadn't noticed this one was a wheat brew. it makes sense, given how innocuous the malt bill is. i do feel an effervescent dryness at the finish, but it took some close inspection

not quite a session brew, keeping 7.3% in mind, but it won't spoil your dinner (765 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Apperance: light oak color that allows plenty of light through with a light head that dissapates fairl quickly
smell: it smells like hops that were slightly over cooked. A good sprinkle of citrus is in the mix.
Taste: oh so smooth. Tastes like a hef with a ton of hops added. Very good citrus kick to it.
Drinkability: A dangerous brew. Very easy to drink and the high ABV will knock tour socks off (400 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer looks great. The head is offwhite and a little sticky. The color is a hazy amber gold or thin honey. A punch of hops from the smell... Ripe citrus and grapefruit is strongest, floral aromas too.
glug glug glug
Big floral hop taste that turns into grapefruit and ends bittersweet. The more I drink it the better it seems to show all its flavors. The mouthfeel is good. I love the combonation of wheat and hops like this. A good reminder that I need to keep trying with hop heavy styles. (495 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a weird hoppy wheaty smell

T - I don't really know if I like the idea of hoppy wheat ales it just leaves a weird taste in my mouth

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - This isn't a bad beer just a hybrid style that I think is a bad idea wheat beers are light and drinkable hop the shit out of it and that brings it down (433 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Had on-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a clear light copper color with a 1.5-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of pungent hops, both citrus and tropical, with very small amounts of wheat aromas.

Tastes good. A wheat and pale malt backbone is joined shortly by strong tropical and citrus hop flavors. Midway through the sip hints of light fruit flavors come in leading to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass pretty quickly and could have a few more.

Overall this is by no means a traditional wheat beer, however like most of Lagunitas brews the hops are a nice addition. This is worth a shot. (766 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Picked it up at an ABC in Miami, FL where I grabbed a mixed 6-pack (2 IPAs, 2 Censored, 2 Little Sumpins). Heard it was a Summer Ale but did not know what I was in for.

A - it looked richer than I expected for a Summer Ale. I was possibly expecting something that looked like a Kolsch, but this poured crystal clear with a rich copper color and thick white to cream-colored head.

S - Awesome. Citrus, sweet, orange...had just finished a Lagunitas IPA before this and thought for a moment I had not rinsed the glass well enough. I was wrong..lLots of sweet, citrus aroma.

T - Everything in the aroma comes thru in the first sip. Big citrus hop taste with a solid, malt and sweet hop backbone. I think the wheat malt as a base must have been mashed high to build the residual sweetness I think I taste.

M - For a Summer Ale, this beer comes across a bit heavy in the mouthfeel, but is just SO drinkable. It seems like a Three Floyd's Gumballhead on steroids.

D - Rates only a "Good" simply because I think I was looking for something lighter as a Summer Seasonal. With that said. I love it. I will buy a 6-pack tomorrow. And another next week. This might take 1st place in my Lagunitas line-up, behind my favorite, Brown Shugga. (1,231 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -6.9%

On tap at Mackenzies in Minneapolis.

Pours a pretty hazy golden amber, very huge and thick white head forms, slowly settles leaving a shit ton of lace on the glass, very thick layer, looks pretty great. Smell is alright, wheat and amarillo kick, orange peel, quite floral, yeasty, some light fruit, touch of honey and biscuity malt, found the aroma a little messy, but alright. Taste is similar, lots of wheat character, yeast, lots of citrus, honey sweetness through the middle, lightly spicy, orange, some floral, decent bitterness. Mouthfeel is a touch thin, light bodied with medium to high carbonation, refreshing. Not too bad but a little let down. (655 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

I've noticed this stuff flying off the shelves since it's been available. Two fingers of spongy white head crowns a hazed translucent apricot body.

The aroma is sheer grapefruit and a bit of pine, along with an underlying sugary sweetness. A touch of biscuity malt peeps out from time to time. A bit of wheat tartness haunts the
background as it warms.

Then along comes a neatly balanced wheat tartness along with the citrus of the hops in the flavour. Sweet, tart, citrusy and bitter all at the same time. Tart wheat at first melded with tangerine and grapefruit, smoothing out in the middle and joined by a phantom sweetness, finishing with citrus and grapefruit, with white grapefruit rind lingering long and assertively into the aftertaste. More spicy in the aftertaste as it warms, could partly be from the higher abv% too, as there's also a warmth to it.

Mouthfeel is smooth at first, while just enough carbonation kicks in on the finish, almost more effervescent than abrasive.

Well then, this stuff is straight out of left field, and a wonderful surprise, it's got it all in the right places at the right time, even though I really had no idea what to expect in advance. I'm going to have to pick up more to hang on to if this is a limited edition. Even the girl on the label is pure retro pin-up cheesecake kitschy bliss. Somehow this beer manages to cater to all of my guilty pleasures, yet with enough quality to abolish any guilt whatsoever. (1,458 characters)

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company