A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,602 | Reviews: 1,488
3.76/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Light golden and clear with moderate carbonation and a white one finger head. Light wispy lacing clings to the glass.

S- Strong malts with sourdough bread. Dank and pine hop aroma is abundant.

T- Sour malts and dank hops come on strong, then dissipate gradually to leave a nice spicy feel.

M- Seems to start flat but redeems itself nicely. Medium bodied .

O- This brews best attribute is the look, and it is sexy. But I think this one goes like this... Its not you, its me... We should see other people... Although I can appreciate the the time put into this ale, it just isn't my cup of tea. I remember this one differently though and I need one more go at it to decide.

3.82/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance:
Clear, deep gold body that is crowned by a thin, white head. Minimal lacing but decent carbonation.

Aroma:
Very interesting... I find myself struggling to describe it. Sweet fruit notes such as pineapple, mango, kiwi, and other various citrus notes. Citra hops are apparent. Thin wheat notes. And.... burnt rubber?

Taste:
Much, much sweeter than the sweet nose led me to believe it would be. What little bitterness can be found here resides right up front and a bit on the tail end, both vanish quickly. The majority of flavor here is composed of tropical fruits. Light pine and honey notes can be found. No alcohol is detectable.

Mourhfeel:
Light, clean, zesty, and refreshing. Light carbonation. Easy to drink.

Overall:
A unique take on the style but too light on hop character. Definitely worth grabbing but far from a favorite.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Orange and clear with moderate carbonation rising to a minimal foam like head. No fresh by date on bottle.

S: Pale malt is the first thing to hit the nose. Then hops and fruit, like pineapple and banana. Very inviting. Reminds me of tropicana tropical fruit juice.

T: Alcohol followed by a rush of fruity hops, very similar profile to Lagunitas Sucks, but with a wheat like backbone.

M: Clean tasting beer, balance is all there. After several sips I can feel the malt sticking around on my palate.

O: Lah-goo-KNEE-tuss does it again. A wonderful offering from a brewery that can do no wrong...so far. Just moved to California and can't wait to head down to Petaluma to check out the brewery. *Good game pat* to the boys at Lagunitas (no homo).

3.42/5  rDev -18.8%

Purchased at my local Party Liquors (Tampa, FL). $10.49 for the 6-pack.
A- Pour is surprisingly light and yellowy. Looks like a light beer, not a bad thing, just surprising. Creamy white head pleasantly pillows the top.
A- It's got a fruity smell I can't quite place… ah, I got it: pomelo! It's a fruit that tastes like a sweet, mild grapefruit. Also has notes of barely.
F- Fruity upfront, bitter, piney, malty finish. Not as light and crisp as I would've liked.
M- Below average carbonation (for an APA).
O- Tastes like a under-carbonated IPA. Definitely a great (albeit, strong) APA for the ABV, but I'm definitely in favor of the more traditional IPAs (like Bell's Two Hearted) in terms of flavor and mouthfeel. This beer honestly gave me a half-chub on the smell, making me expect a hoppy/citrusy IPA, but then it fell flat when it came to taste. I can definitely see how some people like this beer, but it just ain't for me.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This ale pours a beautiful gold color with a thick lasting white head that leaves a nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is quite hoppy for a wheat ale. There is a little spice and some floral notes present as well. The flavor follows suit. Very fresh, citrusy and a bit spicy. The wheat flavor is subtle and the whole beer comes together very nicely. This is definitely another winner from Lagunitas.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance
Slightly hazy dark golden color with a medium frothy white head. Good lacing.
Smell
The first thing that hits me is that it smells bitter, citrusy notes come afterward, tropical fruit, wheat, slight hint of malt.
Taste
The taste is unique, it’s bitter and has a tart sticky sweetness. Medium heavy mouthfeel. and a but of alcohol.
Overall
I like this beer and recommend it. It’s the first Lagunitas beer I ever had and it started my love affair with them.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

4.25/5  rDev +1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company