A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

7.50% ABV confirmed. 64.20 IBU. O.G. 1.076. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery - whose IPAs I usually enjoy. Lagunitas is pretty dependable, but I don't think I've had a beer from them that has blown me away.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Presentation: I like the label and bottle. I'm glad they give us details like original gravity and IBU. Plus the nonsense about the label in a square. It beats the pretentious drivel on the back of Stone bottles any day.

A: Pours a two finger head of beige colour, good thickness, nice cream, and good retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a clear pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Pretty standard appearance for the style, but the head retention is pretty impressive. Lacing is decent.

Sm: Floral hops, hints of juicy citrus, a bit of hop bitterness, maybe light pine if I really look for it, and clean pale malts. Somewhat nectary. Malty sweetness is evident. A bit grassy, with some emergent bright fruit. A pleasant average strength aroma. Quite clean.

T/Mf: Nectary up front, with clean pale malty sweetness providing the tingly light foundation. Floral hops aplenty, with hints of juicy citrus. I get none of the grass from the aroma, but I do get some light lemon tinges. Some crystal malt is at work here, though it stops far from cidery and crisp. Smooth and wet throughout, and quite light on the palate. Very clean. Pine is not present to my palate, but my be minimal to others'. Slightly dries and coarsens on the finish, bringing out that list bit of fruity nectar. Sweetness is well balanced against the hops. It doesn't beat you over the head with hoppiness; they understand balance. I don't detect any wheat; if this is indeed an "American Pale Wheat Ale" it seems shockingly barley based.

Dr: Very drinkable, especially for the well-hidden high ABV - which only manifests as an afterthought when your stomach warms. A good offering from Lagunitas. This would be a good IPA in any fridge (I don't consider it an "American Pale Wheat" like the site currently lists, just a very balanced IPA). Dependable and tasty. I'd definitely have this again, and I'll recommend it to friends.

B

Serve cold. Would pair well with pretty much anything light. I recommend couscous, neutral salad, rye bread and butter, or pretzels. It would be awful with chocolate.

A horrible choice for aging.

---
03.31.14: Truncated notes.

A: Nice healthy head of nice retention. Clear pale orange-copper of nice clarity. Average vibrance. No yeast is visible.

Sm: Citrusy zest. Clove. Orange peel. Fresh wheat. Fruit. Banana. Clean barley. A moderate strength aroma. A biteen starchy. Tangerine.

T: Notes from the nose, with great balance. Hot damn that's drinkable. I do pick up on the ABV, but there's a lot of flavour here.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Refreshing. Has some weight on the palate. Slightly overbearing for the style, but still soft.

Dr: Drinkable, but the ABV is still noticeable. In spite of its obvious alcohol presence, I find myself quaffing it easily. I see why I bought a 6 pack of this. Nice work from Lagunitas.

B-