A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros

FalconA, Aug 18, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

DerekCarruth, Aug 17, 2012

Franticc, Aug 17, 2012

Jmac91, Aug 17, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

buffcityx, Aug 17, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium snifter. Pours out clear gold with a thin head. Slightly dark for a pale wheat ale. Getting a fruity nose with faint notes of orange and pineapple. Nice!

The beer is light-to-medium-bodied with a nice firm mouthfeel and very refreshing flavor profile. In the front of the mouth, the beer follows the nose quite well as you get refreshing, slightly sweet tropical fruit flavors along with a slight grainy, wheat-like taste. At mid-palate, the hops come along and dry things up nicely. The finish is very well-sustained for a wheat bear. You get a little graininess and tiny bit of booziness and are left with a slightly tart, pleasant herbal tea taste in your mouth that lingers nicely.

I picked up a bottle of this on a recent trip to North Carolina. It has to be the best wheat ale I've had since FFF Gumballhead. It is crisp and refreshing, but the ABV is a bit high for a beer like this so you have to be a little careful with it. Still, if this was available in Northern KY, I'd probably drink it all summer long. It's terrific. Bravo Lagunitas!

Edit: This beer is now available in NKY. I'm done for.

deadonhisfeet, Aug 16, 2012

Cymbeline168, Aug 16, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Truly enjoyed this offering. Thanks to Rob, brought out to the boat to pair up with some FFF and other goodies for the Hot summer day.

A: What is expected. Looks enticing

S: Wow, jumps at you. Says drink me, I smell like FFF! (coming from a local FFF resident) citrusy, piney sweetness!

T: aroma is followed by the wonderful taste that includes pine hops, orange citrus, then some soft malty notes and of course HOPS to even it all out.

M: terrific with hops and silky smooth citrus refreshments

O: I will crave this beer until I have another. Haven't been able to get my hands on it. But I will, yes I will!!

Casedogg43, Aug 16, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Copper pour that is cloudy. White foam holds the top of the glass, and then laces the glass.

S - Floral smell of hops. Has a perfume-like fregrance. Sweet smell of fruit is there as well. Fresh grain aroma is noted.

T - Mild citrus notes in first sip. Medley of aromantic hops give a mild bitter bite. The finish has more of a berry sweetness.

M - While the blend of hops is nice, unlike a traditional IPA this seemed a bit more tedious as the glass was comsumed. I wouldn't call this sessionable. One was enough.

O - A wheat ale that has enough hoppy bite to keep the IPA lover's attention. I'd have this one with some BBQ, which I did when I tried it. Smoky mesquite and this are made for each other.

socon67, Aug 16, 2012

CaptDavyJones, Aug 14, 2012

craigmj7, Aug 14, 2012

JVan, Aug 14, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Interesting beer. I picked it up simply because I liked the label. I had no idea what sort of beer it was but the label was attractive. After opening and pouring it into a glass it was apparent that it was a wheat beer which generally I'm not a huge fan of, but the color wasn't off putting and the aroma was pleasant. Nice citrus and wheat notes. I thought it had a slightly floral smell which was at first I wasn't too sure of, but it grew on me. I took my time drinking it and found overall it to be very satisfying and clean. Nothing unpleasant about the beer's head or the consistency in the glass. A great beer for being outside in the warm weather. I wouldn't say I loved it, but could surely see myself drinking it again. I think its the kind of beer that the more you drink of it the more you can enjoy it.

Scubasteve1974, Aug 14, 2012

Kunstman, Aug 14, 2012

robinsmv, Aug 14, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a beautiful golden caramel color. Very clear in consistency with a one-inch white foam head on the top. Smell is very pleasant with strong hints of hops and citrus flavors, possibly lemon. The wheat aspect of the beer is also prevalent. Taste is surprisingly light and flavorful. Definitely hoppy and hints of lemon. The flavors blend incredibly well to provide a very delicious beer. Carbonation is on the stronger side but fits in well with the beer. Finish is smooth and leaves a pleasant aftertaste. Overall this beer has exceeded my expectations. It is a tremendous blend of different beers styles leaving a complex, tasty, and extremely drinkable beer.

Cheers!

KSac4115, Aug 14, 2012

Fluxus, Aug 13, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Clear, golden-yellow with a big, fluffy, white head. Little lace and decent retention.

S: Sweet, fruity, juicy hops with sweet malt and some booze.

T: Fruity, oily hop presence, pale, sweet, lightly roasted malt with an even fresher, fruitier, drier hop presence in the finish. A hint of booze at the end. The wheat shows itself throughout, as well. The wheat gives a unique flavor, indeed. Hops are pronounced and highly delicious.

M: Hoppy, smooth, sweet, boozy. A very enjoyable beer to drink.

O: In my opinion, of the great examples of the style. Would easily drink this again, especially on draft.

Gatch, Aug 13, 2012