A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
flpiii

01-12-2012 02:28:04 | More by flpiii
VaterRoss

poured from 12oz bottle into glass tumbler, no drink-by date

Appearance is a clear golden amber coloration with a white head. Active carb visible. Head dissappears relatively soon after pour. Smells of intense floral hops with a hint of pine and some sweetness. In the taste the floral hops are just as prominent as in the smell with notes of clover honey, roses and apricot. Some caramel malt comes out. As it warms the malt better asserts itself and a slight taste of alcohol emerges. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy with a medium body and carb.

Very interesting, BA lists it as a wheat ale, based off my tasting I would've assumed it was a very floral IPA. I'm not sure I was detecting any of the wheat other than in a certain light brightness in the beer. All around a good beer, but not super exciting. Hides its alcohol well.

01-12-2012 01:13:40 | More by VaterRoss
MEsoJD

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

[Poured into an Lagunitas Mason jar]

I: I've had many beers from Lagunitas, and they were always good to me, but not great. Well, today I review their most praised beer, the Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale. The interesting thing behind this beer is that the beer community can't form a consensus on whether it's a wheat beer or an ipa. Well, lets get to it.

B:[7.5% ABV, 12 FL. OZ. Bottled January 2011] I've always admired Lagunitas beer labels and would say they are my 3rd favorite(Stone 1st followed by The Great Divide). Love the texture of the label, feels like paper, but doesn't have that cheap laminated feel. General information is all there, but would of enjoyed a story/summary behind the beer like stones.

A: Orange/amber transparent body with a big carbonated/scattered head(moderate dissipation), and decent lacing.

S: For a supposed wheat beer, this sure as hell smells like an ipa. Upfront is pineapple and grapefruit with a good hop presence.

T: Citrus grapefruit is dominated with dry sweet malt, but doesn't linger after finish with some smokey hops throughout(brings out the alcohol).

M: Smooth/slightly dry finish, medium bodied, medium carbonation, and moderate alcohol presence(complemented by the hops).

O: I am a believer!!! Interesting/tasty beer in every word, and the best Lagunitas brew I've had so far. I can't say I have any gripes with this beer. The dominate grapefruit you see in many ipas is upfront, but doesn't linger after finish. I guess the only sense of a wheat beer is the finish, but it's settle. Besides that, I would classify this as an ipa. Good beer worthy of my shelf, go pick up a six pack.

01-12-2012 00:56:42 | More by MEsoJD

Kansas

01-09-2012 19:17:44 | More by Kahlerbock
StJamesGate

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Pale slightly hazy orange-tinged gold with loose steady white head. That crazy candied pineapple nose again, with hints of lemon zest and table water crackers.
Saltines, lemon curd and some citrus funk (Citra?) followed by pineapple and tight grapefruit rind hops.
Salty finish and dry linger. Light-medium, smooth, round.

Not sure I get the wheat except maybe in the feel, but this is a great, extremely drinkable pale ale. Interested to drink this side by side with Lagunitas PA. Shame it’s too strong to session.

01-09-2012 12:46:45 | More by StJamesGate
bierfreundlich

A - Pours a lightly hazy gold with thin head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S - Extreme pineapple smell--like a fresh cut pineapple--followed by floral and citrus hops. Very fragrant.

T - The taste is reminiscent of pine but mostly hop flavor, with little bitterness.

M - Thin and thick at the same time with a crisp finish.

O - A very delicious beer.

01-09-2012 05:16:58 | More by bierfreundlich

Georgia

01-06-2012 04:03:18 | More by livewire05
Chadpaq

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Golden amber with an almost honeycomb-like hue. Perhaps slightly darker than I would have pegged a beer that is notoriously this hoppy. Huge, tri-fingered head that seems to be receding rather quickly, leaving a sufficient amount of lacing.

S: Hops that seem to scream with their juicy character rather than with any bite themselves. I'm getting a strong sense of grapefruit and coriander as my nostrils delve deeper and deeper into the glass. I must be careful, or a noseful of foam is imminent!

***At this point, I should make note of the lacing. It seems to be rather patchy, but I like it. It adds a sort of hidden elegance to my glass.

T: Ah, the time has finally come to take a swig of this wondrous beverage. The head has all but receded completely as I begin my journey...

Oh my god. For lack of a better two-word term, I'm in "hop heaven." This beer is spectacular. I'm a hop-head, to be sure, but I feel like this brew could be appreciated by beer lovers of all sorts. Granted, it has enough hops to make your face turn green, but it also has an undeniable sweetness aspect to it that makes it deliciously, and dangerously, drinkable.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation, and perfect feeling on my palate. I really don't think that Pale Ales get better than this. I am typically an IPA man, but this beer alone is making me rethink my style preference.

D: Well, I started the day off with a Dead Guy Ale (My first Maibock [I'm a n00b!]) and now I'm on my second Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. I seriously doubt I'll have any of these left in my six-pack before the day is over.

A special shout-out to Mike from Brawley's for recommending this. I've known about this beer for quite some time, but was initially going to buy a bomber of Hop Stoopid before Mike recommended I put that back and buy a sixer of this. Thanks Be To Mike!

Drinkability is indeed worthy of perfect score. I'm polishing my sixer now!

One year later...

Look: Light golden orangey combination; appears to be citrusy as all getout. We'll see if the nose matches up. Minimal lacing; small amount of head.
Smell: Very fruity. Mandarin oranges, and perhaps a hint of white grape juice. A somewhat distinct yeasty character.
Taste: So citrusy. It's a hop bomb without the characteristic bitterness. I'm not terribly educated on all of the hop strains, but this one's bursting with the most citrusy of the breed. Excellent. Refreshing. Masks the 7.5% abv quite well.
Feel: Heavily carbonated. It's almost like drinking an orange, alcoholic Fanta (except much more delicious than that experience would be).
Overall: Though I've limited experience with "American Pale Wheat Ales," I like to categorize this beer as more of an American IPA with significantly more citrus and less bite. Thus, it is in my top five of American IPAs.

***Addendum: Noticed it's brewed with all of the "C" hops on the beer's BA page. I'm assuming that includes "Citrus"...

01-05-2012 22:35:54 | More by Chadpaq