A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Travisnin

Georgia

01-06-2012 04:03:18 | More by livewire05
Chadpaq

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Golden amber with an almost honeycomb-like hue. Perhaps slightly darker than I would have pegged a beer that is notoriously this hoppy. Huge, tri-fingered head that seems to be receding rather quickly, leaving a sufficient amount of lacing.

S: Hops that seem to scream with their juicy character rather than with any bite themselves. I'm getting a strong sense of grapefruit and coriander as my nostrils delve deeper and deeper into the glass. I must be careful, or a noseful of foam is imminent!

***At this point, I should make note of the lacing. It seems to be rather patchy, but I like it. It adds a sort of hidden elegance to my glass.

T: Ah, the time has finally come to take a swig of this wondrous beverage. The head has all but receded completely as I begin my journey...

Oh my god. For lack of a better two-word term, I'm in "hop heaven." This beer is spectacular. I'm a hop-head, to be sure, but I feel like this brew could be appreciated by beer lovers of all sorts. Granted, it has enough hops to make your face turn green, but it also has an undeniable sweetness aspect to it that makes it deliciously, and dangerously, drinkable.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation, and perfect feeling on my palate. I really don't think that Pale Ales get better than this. I am typically an IPA man, but this beer alone is making me rethink my style preference.

D: Well, I started the day off with a Dead Guy Ale (My first Maibock [I'm a n00b!]) and now I'm on my second Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. I seriously doubt I'll have any of these left in my six-pack before the day is over.

A special shout-out to Mike from Brawley's for recommending this. I've known about this beer for quite some time, but was initially going to buy a bomber of Hop Stoopid before Mike recommended I put that back and buy a sixer of this. Thanks Be To Mike!

Drinkability is indeed worthy of perfect score. I'm polishing my sixer now!

One year later...

Look: Light golden orangey combination; appears to be citrusy as all getout. We'll see if the nose matches up. Minimal lacing; small amount of head.
Smell: Very fruity. Mandarin oranges, and perhaps a hint of white grape juice. A somewhat distinct yeasty character.
Taste: So citrusy. It's a hop bomb without the characteristic bitterness. I'm not terribly educated on all of the hop strains, but this one's bursting with the most citrusy of the breed. Excellent. Refreshing. Masks the 7.5% abv quite well.
Feel: Heavily carbonated. It's almost like drinking an orange, alcoholic Fanta (except much more delicious than that experience would be).
Overall: Though I've limited experience with "American Pale Wheat Ales," I like to categorize this beer as more of an American IPA with significantly more citrus and less bite. Thus, it is in my top five of American IPAs.

***Addendum: Noticed it's brewed with all of the "C" hops on the beer's BA page. I'm assuming that includes "Citrus"...

01-05-2012 22:35:54 | More by Chadpaq

HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Taken from notes on 1.2.2012
12oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a light, clear orange with a large bubble, near-white head. Solid retention.

S - Strong pine, citrus, and some grass.

T - Grapefruit, pine, orange, lemon.

D - Average body and carbonation for the style.

O - Great flavors. Refreshing and delicious. I love it and I am mad that it took me so long to try it.

01-05-2012 20:19:46 | More by HuskyinPDX

Hedonismbott

01-04-2012 09:35:05 | More by Hedonismbott
HairyHopopotamus

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Awesome beer very impressed!
I like way better than their IPA!

A: Light amber color, 1/4 inch head but short lived, and a fine lace on the glass.

S: HOPS! fruity, yet a little piney

T: GREAT! the aroma doesn't give it justice... Fruit and honey, almost reminds me of fruity pebbles cereal (but not quite) yet hoppy. crisp but with a dry finish. not too bitter though.

M: very crisp and drinkable for being so high in ABV... DANGEROUS!

One of my Favorites from Lagunitas!

01-04-2012 02:26:36 | More by HairyHopopotamus
bierbrauer

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz. bottle, purchased locally ($9.99/6). Bottle marked Day 325, 11/21/11, 43 days ago. Poured into tulip glass.

A: Slightly cloudy gold/amber. 1"+ fluffy, ivory head that leaves scattered lacing; steady effervescence.

S: Lemon and grapefruit, warm bread; floral.

T: Lemon & banana, slightly tangy/sour; caramel; growing piney bitterness; scant alcohol.

M: Crisp, with medium body and medium/high carbonation; creamy, but a bit too prickly to be smooth; slightly dry finish; low warming.

O: Fresh and delicious -- fruit/hop forward; one of my favorites from Lagunitas.

01-04-2012 00:07:24 | More by bierbrauer

01-02-2012 22:15:31 | More by piccnd3
scarfield

Nebraska

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

App- Pours a golden amber color, with a 1/4 inch off-white head.
Lacing is moderate through the glass.

Smell- citrusy hops and some bready/malty tones

Taste- follows the aroma, citrusy with some sweetness from the malt coming through in the middle, and a bready taste at the end.

Mouthfeel is thick, a bit chewy, but not outside of the style.

Drinkability- This is a drink that is very solid in all aspects, not too heavy to be difficult to drink, and very balanced.

01-02-2012 18:04:23 | More by scarfield

Mrrahn

01-02-2012 00:29:37 | More by Mrrahn
Pegasus

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Golden orange body with a massive, coarse, sticky, and persistent off-white head. Thin, fine-beaded lacing adorns the glass walls; the carbonation is rather slight.

Aroma: A substantial punch of citrus and pine hops combine with a strong and sweet bread malt presence. Sweet, slightly vinous alcohol is notable as well.

Taste: Opens with rather sweet malt, soon followed by a substantial hop presence, the hops dominate throughout the taste with grapefruit rind and pine tar flavors, although the malt remains as a sweet, almost honey-like undercurrent throughout the taste. Finishes with a long, drawn-out bitterness, primarily herbal and medicinal. The high alcoholic content is gracefully concealed.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and very pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Very well-done. Considering the high alcohol and hop content, it is very drinkable.

Presentation: Packaged in a short twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard Pilsener glass.

01-02-2012 00:22:29 | More by Pegasus