A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
jwhancher

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Pours a slightly hazy gold color with high carbonation and nice frothy white head. Smells of citrus and piney hops. I get mango, pineapple, and sticky sweet hop nectar. Smells like a tropical fruit salad. A sweet, light to medium beer with a rush of piney hop taste that gives to some orange & citrus hop zest. Quite bitter - can almost feel the hop resins coat my teeth. A very nice summer beer loaded on hops. The ABV does kick in after a number of these daddys. Will be looking for this one again to quench my longing for hop flavor and summer thirst. Well done.

07-21-2011 23:57:13 | More by jwhancher
FrankenBeerStein

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a 22 oz pint-style glass (more room for a hard pour). As it poured, it looked very yellow, but once in the glass, it settled into a solid golden color with a good head with excellent retention and lacing. First sniff yielded floral hop aromas and...for some reason (on the first sniff)..peach. Yeah, I know it sounds odd, but that's what I smelled, and I DID like it. It drifted into the fruity/floral hops scent after that. Taste reflected the label with hops in the ingredients listing hops several times. Hoppy with a clean crisp finish. All in all, a pretty damn good beer that I would get again. I wouldn't mind giving it a taste on tap...

07-21-2011 04:22:46 | More by FrankenBeerStein
NODAK

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Aroma started off pretty heavy on grapefruit hops, but settled down into a sweet fruitiness that was very, very nice.

Starts off with a hoppy snap with an abundance of citric, grapefruit hoppiness with some definite floral notes. Very crisp upfront. However, in the body, this intermingles with a nice, sweet fruitiness that really helps counteract the bitterness quite well. It's even on par with the hops I'd say for a brief moment. Not bad. Finishes with a rather resinous bitterness that would rival many IPA's (but certainly not the top tier ones). Interesting thing is, I think this beer has more bitterness than Lagunitas' own IPA does.

I love it! Awesome beer. The bitterness of many IPA's with a nice, sweet fruitiness underneath that provides excellent balance. A great ale.

07-20-2011 00:56:49 | More by NODAK
Lightbearer2012

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

I am happy to finally review this beer as it is my favorite beer from one of my favorite breweries- Lagunitas. 12 oz bottle poured into a stemless wine glass.

Appearance- pure gold. Nice white head with above average retention. Nice, intricate lacing.

Smell- fantastic, citrusy, grapefruit aroma. Very nice.

Taste- Amazing! Seriously, I am not usually a fan of wheat beers but trust me when I say this tastes like a stellar ipa. Man, this stuff is good! Mega citrusy and strong, sweet, juicy, grapefruit flavor. I don't even like grapefruit but it tastes so good in this beer. I have destroyed six packs of this beer in record time simply because it tastes so good and is ridiculously refreshing.

Mouthfeel- this is another area where this beer excels. Dare I say perfect? Light to medium carbonation and just refreshing as all get out.

Overall- not only is this my favorite Lagunitas beer, it is one of my favorite beers of all time of all styles. Ridiculously refreshing on a sultry South Florida day. You must try this beer. An interesting style but ipa lovers will adore this beer. Top notch.

07-20-2011 00:19:51 | More by Lightbearer2012
BeTheBall

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bright golden color, slightly hazy. The head was medium, and I had noce lacing down the glass. The smell to me wass IPA-ish, with a pronounced grapefruit and grassy aroma. Mmm, I didn't expect this, but am now excited to have bought this. The taste was also more like an IPA to me than a wheat beer. The grapefruit type taste hit me first, maybe a litte wheat in the background, but just sweep hop and fruity taste all the way through. Mouthfeel was awesome. What a great beer. I can't believe it took me this long to try one. I'll be back!

07-19-2011 15:00:35 | More by BeTheBall
chicagoabbot

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz bottle into a snifter...pours a bright pale golden body with a fizzy generous head. Smell has a citrus hop profile with some sharpness. Taste is incredible, with a ton of lemon and orange hop notes with a crisp wheat backbone...kind of reminds me of Gumballhead, but less wheat and fruitier hops. This beer is really really good. Mouthfeel is awesome. Try this one, you won't be sorry.

07-18-2011 07:15:14 | More by chicagoabbot
TheSarge

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours well with a fingert thick white head, and has a semi hazy golden colored body.

The aroma is hoppy arid, along with citrus orange and grapefruit mixed together.

The taste is a good mix of bubblegum, grapefruit, and perhaps barely ripe strawberry.

Lightly carbonated, sour puckering gives a wetness to the palate, and kind of coats the warmness from the alcohol.

07-17-2011 22:32:02 | More by TheSarge
doughanson78

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Light golden/yellow/straw color. Faint haziness. Fluffy pure white head with great retention. Nice lacing.

S: Lots of citrus hops. Grapefruit mainly. Also pineapple, mango, light orange and lemon. Light caramel malts also.

T: Even though the nose is dominated by hops the first thing I get and continues throughout is sweet caramel malts. The malts must change the hops because I get almost not citrus. Instead a floral/soapy hop flavor. Finishes with a light bitterness and slight grapefruit sourness.

M: Maybe a tad light in body. Being a pale "wheat" ale I was hoping for thicker. It does got a nice creaminess tho.

O: Definitely a very tasty/VERY drinkable beer. Love the malts calming the bitterness down as much as it does. Although I do love the assault of hops every now and then.

07-16-2011 03:57:55 | More by doughanson78
DirtyPenny

3.1/5  rDev -26.5%

A: Poured a clear honey color. Had this from the bottle and only poured out a little to get a visual on it, so I can't speak as to the head.

Picture of cute chick on the bottle. (hey, that's part of appearance too)

S: Hey, wait, this smells way too hoppy for a wheat. Heavy on the pine and grapefruit.

T: Faint wheat, heavy pine flavor and a bit of spice from the hops.

M: Medium-bodied with just a little bit of stickiness. Viscous and generally pleasant.

O: So this is Lil' Sumpin Sumpin, eh? I like an ale with wheat. I'm not typically a fan of beers with a lot of hop character. Might have liked it more if I hadn't been expecting something closer to a weizen. Admittedly I picked this up because some folks on another forum were raving about it.

Gave this a second try as of 07/14. This is either a very good IPA or a failure of a wheat ale. Like somebody got a little too clever for their own good. "Hey, lets just keep adding hops!"

07-14-2011 19:01:57 | More by DirtyPenny
wedge

Surprisingly clear gold with a fleeting creamy off-white head. Stringy lacing. Juicy, candy-like hops in the nose...very bright citrus zestiness, floral, and melon notes. Not too much wheat to speak of. Sweet, juicy hop flavor. An abundance of grapefruit, citrus peel, and some pineapple. Smooth, clean, fruity crispness. Some almost bready malt peaking through. The 7.5% is apparent and I'm not sure I could drink toooo many of these, but it is quite delicious. Slick, medium body with a slight, crisp, dry quality that aids the drinkability.

Pretty much an IPA, honestly. If they knocked it down to 5% or so, I think it would be even better and more refreshing. Oh well. Fruity, candied, stickiness...can't complain...

07-14-2011 01:52:41 | More by wedge
DangQuesadilla

4.43/5  rDev +5%

I am lucky enough to be able to get this easily where I live. I have had it on both bottles and tap. I love this beer. This could be my everyday drinking beer.

The aroma is the best part of it. When poured into a glass, there is a fantastic citrusy aroma of it. It goes down smooth. I have never been disappointed with a Lagunitas... and this one is one of my favorites from them.

07-13-2011 00:28:57 | More by DangQuesadilla
DaveBlack

4.22/5  rDev 0%

A: Clear, dark golden color with a steady stream of bubbles rising from the bottom. Has a finger's width of fluffy white head that has decent retention and leaves a good amount of lacing on the sides of the glass as I drink.

S: The smell is interesting. Hops for sure, and a small amount of sweetness from the malts, but there's a slight fruitiness as well. Reminds me of peach.

T: Taste is good, and very drinkable. Light, fruity and floral. It has sweetness but that is overshadowed by a wave of hops. It wears the $7.5 ABV really well and I could see this coming out of nowhere because it drinks so easily.

M: Pretty light, decent carbonation add to how easy it is to drink.

O: I'm impressed. I've had very few offerings from lagunitas but this is a great beer. I'm usually underwhelmed by wheat beers, but this is a pleasant surprise. Well balanced, great for a summer beer. Or fall beer. Or spring beer. Hell, even winter. Fairly simple and straightforward, but just all around good.

07-11-2011 22:00:48 | More by DaveBlack
mocktm

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

First off, I love this brewery, especially for this beer, and I can't be thankful enough that it is now available year around. Have drank countless bottles in my day, so I guess the time has now come for a review. So, stub nosed bottle with that signature foxy lookin' chick into a pint glass.

Appears a bright golden orange hue with a slight haze about it. Plenty of tiny bubbles making their way to the top, where they meet a rocky beige head that measures about two fingers thick. Abundant lacing and solid head retention throughout the session.

Nose is a melodious mix of candied wheat and floral hop citrus. Lemon, grapefruit, mango and pineapple act to completely mask the semi-high alcohol content. More of an IPA than most IPAs can dare dream.

Tastes incredibly sweet and citric up front, matched by a mild yet lasting bitterness. Lemon/orange are the predominant flavor I pick up, complemented by honey and some spice. Tad bit of boozy warmness in the back end to round it out.

Medium bodied with significant carbonation. Very pleasant and smooth. I drank this pretty damn fast for a beer clocking in at 7.5%.

One of the best beer bargains out there. For $10 worth of summer drinking, you can't do much better for a six pack. Cheers!

07-11-2011 21:20:16 | More by mocktm
tobelerone

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

I really dug this beer and didn't realize it was a wheat until after I had drunk it. There's not much wheat flavor and it's closer to an cali-APA in style. Wow it's good. Slightly opaque, light gold color. Floral hops in the nose continue in the mouth, with balanced flavors and restrained bitterness. Tremendously drinkable. A delicious beer that I can't wait to drink again.

07-11-2011 13:24:08 | More by tobelerone
engagechad

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Purchased as a single from Trader joes - poured into a DFH snifter

Pours a straw yellow/amber with nice head and good lacing. Smells absolutely wonderful. man. Hops are there in a big way but there is a nice cool soothing aroma as well that I can't really describe. Taste follows. There is a nice soothing minty taste and it is great on the finish. I love this beer.

Overall this is a beer that I think everyone should try. Do it. I will try it again and again.. ..

07-11-2011 02:04:01 | More by engagechad
JayS2629

Alabama

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

This poured an orange amber color with a nice creamy white head that stuck around and left great lacing.

The smell was of orange rind and a touch of pine sap. Hints of leather. Lots of bright fruit, pineapple and grapefruit on a bready backbone. Floral and grassy.

The taste followed with orange zest, orange marmalade, ginger, grapefruit and pine. All on nice bready background. Slightly on the sweet side but finishes with floral and grassy notes.

A little syrupy, but overall crisp and dry finish. Easy to drink and nicely balanced beer.

07-10-2011 23:11:48 | More by JayS2629
Bierman9

New Hampshire

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

I stopped into the Portsmouth Brewpub on Saturday, 09JUL11, before heading to Kensington, NH, to see The Stanley Cup. After a pint of Portsmouth Wit, I opted to try some Sumpin' Sumpin'. It was served in a 20th Anniversary tear-drop style glass, perhaps about 12oz worth, at $6.50 per serving.

Color was a slightly hazy golden honey. Slow-moving, widely-dispersed carbo was present, aimlessly winding its way towards an off-white, rocky, fluffy head. The topping lasted quite well, and lacing was A-1! Nose had plenty of nice citrus with some rindy action thrown in for good measure. Body was a bit more than the standard medium, and it had a smooth feel on the tongue.

Flavor had a light touch of bready, crackery malt, and was a touch dry and crisp. Lots of citrus was present, with rindy, pithy characteristics aplenty. Pineapple and grapefruit came into play in this solid offering. The hoppiness in the finish was long-lasting and pleasant. Reminded me a bit of Schneider-Brooklyner Hefeweizen. Good stuff!!

4.2 rDev +0.5%

07-10-2011 20:46:49 | More by Bierman9
genitempo

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

A: From bottle to pint glass. Pours very well. Deep yellow/orange colored body with minimal head. The lace is trace and evaporates almost immediately.

S: The aroma upon pouring the beer is probably the best part. Its very rich and floral. Not even a small amount of alcohol to be smelled, even with a hefty ABV.

T: Very mild slope into a hopped flavor. There is definitely ease in the build up and the peak is not too harsh. A minimal amount of pineyness sticks on the tongue afterwards. I really felt like the true taste of what the brewmasters wanted came out (not too much carbonation or alcoholic taste). Solid work.

MF: It felt lighter than most wheats. Somewhat apathetic to the feel.

O: Solid stuff from Lagunitas.

07-10-2011 16:15:37 | More by genitempo
Hatzilla

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

12 ounce bottle, bottled on June 16, Consumed July 9 2011.

Little Sumpin' Sumpin' pours out a golden amber with a thin half inch head. Scent is apricot, wheat, mango, pineapple, orange and grapefruit. Taste is predominately apricot and wheat with some lemon dropping in on the finish and lingering around. Mouthfeel is velvety-smooth. Outasight! Overall, a very smooth and drinkable pale wheat ale despite the ABV. One of my go-to six pack purchases along with Racer 5.

07-10-2011 03:16:45 | More by Hatzilla
Pharkle

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA. I had no idea this was a wheat until I read about it. I would consider this an almost ideal American Pale Ale. Nice appearance in the glass, slight haze, plenty of head and lace on the glass. Bursting with American hop aroma, excellent malt/hop flavor balance, smooth and silky mouthfeel. A great beer that may win over those who shy away from "hoppy" beers. I was so impressed by the quality of this beer that I had another despite the large selection on tap at Beer Run. One of the best.

07-10-2011 02:37:00 | More by Pharkle
jizfiasco

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

This is a go to beer for me and I'm glad have a minute to review it. First time I had it was at brewtopia in nyc and was blown away had no idea it was an APA thought it was a lights IPA. Now that I've been drinking it regularly it is my go too chillin in the pool summer beer. Ok enough blah blah blah. Pours like a golden lagerish color with a fluffy white dissipating head, lacing the glass lightly. Smell is slightly citrusy sour, some pine and overall inviting. The taste allows for the hops to blow you away if your expecting a wheat bear or have you grinning a bit if your expecting an IPA. I can taste the bittering grapefruit and some unripe apricots as well as sweet peppers and believe it or not a little wheat beer on the burp. The mouthfeel is light as hell and very drinkable as a session beer despite the high abv. Overall freakin great another thumbs up to lagunitas.

07-09-2011 22:59:22 | More by jizfiasco
1after909

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Just downed one of these. Another fine offering from the Lagunitas stable. It was in the IPA section of my beer emporium. Good thing as I don't generally care for wheats and prabably wouldn't have grabbed one off the shelf.

Had an appearance a little darker than a lager but none of the wha=eat kickback on the smell & taste that you get sometimes.

Will gladly pick up more than one next timne after this worthwhile trial

07-09-2011 19:45:55 | More by 1after909
wallygatorca

4.93/5  rDev +16.8%

12 oz. bottle from a six (approx. 9-10 packs purchased and consumed), about time I reviewed here, this one is worthy of my first.

A - Orange, but still pale

S - glorious, and should be infused into incense

T - Hops (pine, citrus, floral), top the wheat

M - it lingers just enough to take another swig

O - Will be on my short list of brews I will gravitate to when looking at any retail beer fridge or tap lineup. Can be downed year round with anticipation and enthusiasm.

Keep in mind, I'm an IPA/Double IPA fan and this one hits the spot for me. If you're all about the wheat, this may not be exactly what your reaching for.

07-09-2011 05:59:52 | More by wallygatorca
JoeyBeerBelly

4.22/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - lightly hazed golden color with a white head that left trails of lacing and lots of rising carbonation bubbles.

S - hops, hops and more hops, sweet and citrusy.

T - there's enough malted wheat to keep things in check but the hops steal the show for the most part.

F - medium bodied with good carbonation.

O - a fine drinking beer for anytime of year.

07-08-2011 23:32:54 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
therica

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

A= light orange, minimal white head, slight rimming, little carbonation rising.

S= sweet malts, light candy citrus, hints of honey.

T= a bit sweet and syrupy, mild liquor, sweet malts, orange-creme hints, slight sourness, moderate hops and bitterness. It has the tartness of a wheat but there's too much candy in here for me.

M= light syrup sweetness, citrus, sweet malts, some grassy bitterness lingering.

O= decent, but I'm surprised I'm not as impressed as others here seem to be. I totally love the Sumpin' Extra IPA but then again this is a wheat beer. This one just doesn't come together as nicely for me.

07-08-2011 02:47:46 | More by therica