A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Pour is a hazy orange-gold color with nice some lighter orange tints along the edges; a full inch of off-white foam. Light lacing as it recedes.

Aromas begin with an aromatic blend of citrusy lemon and grapefruit, some floral orange blossoms and a small hint of pine.

The tastes follow the nose with a solid amount of orange citrus and slightly bitter pine hop flavors, a touch of sweetness on the finish from the crisp, crackery pils and wheat maltiness.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium in terms of body with a nice crisp, refreshing finish.

Overall I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would given how bland and boring most exampled of the style typically are, but I should have known better coming from Lagunitas. This offering is a much better take on the Pale Wheat Ale than most other offerings of this style, even thought I would consider this more a Wheat IPA given the ABV instead of a wheat pale ale. The hoppiness really makes this a great refreshing brew and one I will gladly revisit in a bottle or on draft during the warmer months of the year.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

On my last trip to the liquor store (the haul of which I posted in the forums), I grabbed a six pack of this. I have had it before but it has been a while, but I knew it was good. I had also heard BA’s talking about how good it was, so I knew I was in for a treat. First Lagunitas product I have reviewed. Side poured with standard speed from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance – Pours a nice almost transparent dark gold color with a decent, two finger head that dissipates at a moderate rate. Excellent lacing is left on the glass, almost glued to the side.

Smell – An onslaught of hoppiness. Orange, grapefruit, pine, resin, floral notes, all the things that make hops so wonderful in a beer just explode out of this one.

Taste – Much like the nose, the full gamut of hops greatness is on display on the palate here. There is a bready malt and wheat backbone, but it takes a backseat to the hops.

Mouthfeel – Clean, crisp, good carbonation and medium body, finished razor sharp. Really well done.

Overall – This is an outstanding beer, but I have one question. American Pale Wheat Ale? This is the same category that Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat and Sam Adam’s Coastal Wheat and Summer Ale is in. Not that there’s anything wrong with those beers, but Lagunitas destroyed all of them with this. Until I read the classification of the brew on BA this morning, I thought this was may be a light IPA, or an aggressively hopped APA. I would have never guessed APWA. Regardless of all that, this is an exceptional beer for a good price that I can get most anytime. I would highly recommend this to anyone, and I will be drinking it again. Well done by Lagunitas, I’m going to call this a hybrid of styles.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: Poura a slightly hazy amber color with a creamy head that leaves a fair amount of lacing

Smell: Citrus wafts above the bready elements

Taste: A bit of wheat bread up front and then this beer thinks it's an IPA, with a citrus an pine assault that continues into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Nice hybrid style here; very refreshing

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

pours a clear, bright golden-yellow while yielding a fluffy off-white head. very respectable retention and a lot of nice lacing. great presentation. nose is very nice, offering a lot of citric and tropical hoppiness with some background characters of floral hops and wheat. really good.

taste follows the nose well - exceeds it even - with tons of citrus and tropical fruit, some floral notes and a wheaty/malty backbone. very tasty. medium bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, this is my first (and definitely not last) go-round with this beer, and color me impressed. strikes me as a perfect summer barbecue brew. (not that i'll be confining my sumpin sumpin enjoyment merely to those occasions.) and so widely available to boot. not to be missed.

(originally reviewed: 06-27-2011)