A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Pale slightly hazy orange-tinged gold with loose steady white head. That crazy candied pineapple nose again, with hints of lemon zest and table water crackers.
Saltines, lemon curd and some citrus funk (Citra?) followed by pineapple and tight grapefruit rind hops.
Salty finish and dry linger. Light-medium, smooth, round.

Not sure I get the wheat except maybe in the feel, but this is a great, extremely drinkable pale ale. Interested to drink this side by side with Lagunitas PA. Shame it’s too strong to session.

A - Pours a lightly hazy gold with thin head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S - Extreme pineapple smell--like a fresh cut pineapple--followed by floral and citrus hops. Very fragrant.

T - The taste is reminiscent of pine but mostly hop flavor, with little bitterness.

M - Thin and thick at the same time with a crisp finish.

O - A very delicious beer.

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Golden amber with an almost honeycomb-like hue. Perhaps slightly darker than I would have pegged a beer that is notoriously this hoppy. Huge, tri-fingered head that seems to be receding rather quickly, leaving a sufficient amount of lacing.

S: Hops that seem to scream with their juicy character rather than with any bite themselves. I'm getting a strong sense of grapefruit and coriander as my nostrils delve deeper and deeper into the glass. I must be careful, or a noseful of foam is imminent!

***At this point, I should make note of the lacing. It seems to be rather patchy, but I like it. It adds a sort of hidden elegance to my glass.

T: Ah, the time has finally come to take a swig of this wondrous beverage. The head has all but receded completely as I begin my journey...

Oh my god. For lack of a better two-word term, I'm in "hop heaven." This beer is spectacular. I'm a hop-head, to be sure, but I feel like this brew could be appreciated by beer lovers of all sorts. Granted, it has enough hops to make your face turn green, but it also has an undeniable sweetness aspect to it that makes it deliciously, and dangerously, drinkable.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation, and perfect feeling on my palate. I really don't think that Pale Ales get better than this. I am typically an IPA man, but this beer alone is making me rethink my style preference.

D: Well, I started the day off with a Dead Guy Ale (My first Maibock [I'm a n00b!]) and now I'm on my second Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. I seriously doubt I'll have any of these left in my six-pack before the day is over.

A special shout-out to Mike from Brawley's for recommending this. I've known about this beer for quite some time, but was initially going to buy a bomber of Hop Stoopid before Mike recommended I put that back and buy a sixer of this. Thanks Be To Mike!

Drinkability is indeed worthy of perfect score. I'm polishing my sixer now!

One year later...

Look: Light golden orangey combination; appears to be citrusy as all getout. We'll see if the nose matches up. Minimal lacing; small amount of head.
Smell: Very fruity. Mandarin oranges, and perhaps a hint of white grape juice. A somewhat distinct yeasty character.
Taste: So citrusy. It's a hop bomb without the characteristic bitterness. I'm not terribly educated on all of the hop strains, but this one's bursting with the most citrusy of the breed. Excellent. Refreshing. Masks the 7.5% abv quite well.
Feel: Heavily carbonated. It's almost like drinking an orange, alcoholic Fanta (except much more delicious than that experience would be).
Overall: Though I've limited experience with "American Pale Wheat Ales," I like to categorize this beer as more of an American IPA with significantly more citrus and less bite. Thus, it is in my top five of American IPAs.

***Addendum: Noticed it's brewed with all of the "C" hops on the beer's BA page. I'm assuming that includes "Citrus"...

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Taken from notes on 1.2.2012
12oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a light, clear orange with a large bubble, near-white head. Solid retention.

S - Strong pine, citrus, and some grass.

T - Grapefruit, pine, orange, lemon.

D - Average body and carbonation for the style.

O - Great flavors. Refreshing and delicious. I love it and I am mad that it took me so long to try it.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer very impressed!
I like way better than their IPA!

A: Light amber color, 1/4 inch head but short lived, and a fine lace on the glass.

S: HOPS! fruity, yet a little piney

T: GREAT! the aroma doesn't give it justice... Fruit and honey, almost reminds me of fruity pebbles cereal (but not quite) yet hoppy. crisp but with a dry finish. not too bitter though.

M: very crisp and drinkable for being so high in ABV... DANGEROUS!

One of my Favorites from Lagunitas!

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company