A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,534 | Hads: 8,218
4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

I am happy to finally review this beer as it is my favorite beer from one of my favorite breweries- Lagunitas. 12 oz bottle poured into a stemless wine glass.

Appearance- pure gold. Nice white head with above average retention. Nice, intricate lacing.

Smell- fantastic, citrusy, grapefruit aroma. Very nice.

Taste- Amazing! Seriously, I am not usually a fan of wheat beers but trust me when I say this tastes like a stellar ipa. Man, this stuff is good! Mega citrusy and strong, sweet, juicy, grapefruit flavor. I don't even like grapefruit but it tastes so good in this beer. I have destroyed six packs of this beer in record time simply because it tastes so good and is ridiculously refreshing.

Mouthfeel- this is another area where this beer excels. Dare I say perfect? Light to medium carbonation and just refreshing as all get out.

Overall- not only is this my favorite Lagunitas beer, it is one of my favorite beers of all time of all styles. Ridiculously refreshing on a sultry South Florida day. You must try this beer. An interesting style but ipa lovers will adore this beer. Top notch.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer very impressed!
I like way better than their IPA!

A: Light amber color, 1/4 inch head but short lived, and a fine lace on the glass.

S: HOPS! fruity, yet a little piney

T: GREAT! the aroma doesn't give it justice... Fruit and honey, almost reminds me of fruity pebbles cereal (but not quite) yet hoppy. crisp but with a dry finish. not too bitter though.

M: very crisp and drinkable for being so high in ABV... DANGEROUS!

One of my Favorites from Lagunitas!

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours light amber, almost yellow color with finger width foamy head. Head retention and lacing are okay. Has a citric aroma. Slightly piney. Lightly citric malty taste up front with a nice bitter piney hop at the end with a wheat edge. Bitter soapy aftertaste that is great. Excellent beer. Definitely one of my favorites.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

I've never brewed anything quite this good.
It's got a light amber appearance.
A very fruity aroma, like a fruit cocktail.
Tastes like tropical fruit with a nice malt backbone.
The ABV is very well hidden.
This is one of my favorite beers and it proves that you don't need to throw a bunch of money away to drink some of the finest beer in the land.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

nice, clean, warm, almost full-inch head. the lacing is clear and proper foamy, sticks around forever. pours a cool, golden-slime yellow into a nice, translucent heavy-champagne tone. slight, slight sediment present in the body.

smells of oranges and hella hops with a citrus overtone. first hit of the nose reminds one of a christmas tree. mighty floral.

light, citrus, refreshing on-bringing with a crisp wet finish. those floral hops ever so linger. hops here have a unique and mellow taste and feel.

a great, well crafted beer. one of my faves to review so far. damn proud of lagunitas, damn proud.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Of all the Stellar breweries out there, this place is my favorite for creativity and consistent quality. Their hop profiles are much like other world class breweries such as Green Flash, Russian River, Firestone walker that I also love. I've not been able to clone this profile in a homebrew and can only wonder if it is hop extract that is the secret....

As for ALSS this beer is Lagunitas in a nutshell, playful name, unique flavor and a very solid beer. Like all their IPAs, it pours out very light in color with a light lacy head. The body is nice, not too heavy but obviously qualifies as a light DIPA. I just wish I could pickup a half barrel for my fridge!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Overall, I just liked this beer and that's about it. I got hints of northern pine forest and exotic orange peel from the most remote parts of the Amazon rain forest. No harshness, went down smooth. Lacing was like that of a June bride...I will definitely drink again.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This brew pours with a thick three finger head which lasts for several minuets then dissipates into a think lacing which stays on the glass and covers the top of the beer until the end.

The smell is strong with hops, pine,(like a freshly cut Christmas tree), orange and grapefruit. There is also a wheat/yeast and toasted oats smell, probably from the malts. There is also a bubble gum like smell.

The taste follows the nose, the first thing to hit is the piney hops, followed by the orange and grapefruit. There is then a smoky/tobacco taste followed by a strong malt profile then toasted malts at the end. The brew does leave a dry taste in the mouth after swallowing.
The mouthfeel is thick, bready and chewy but also smooth. I am guessing that the smoothness comes from the wheat.

Overall this a pleasant find and Lagunitas has become one of my favorite breweries with this and other offerings. I would have thought this was an IPA if B.A. had not told me the true style. The wheat adds a sweetness and smoothness that is not normally present in an IPA(I keep thinking of this as an IPA). I will be picking up more of this.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from bottle into beer mug.

A: Clear pale amber color with a thick frothy white head. Big globs of lacing all over.

S: Sweet citrus fruit and floral hops are very dominant, and smell delicious! Lots of grapefruit and mango. Also a good amount of caramel malt sweetness, almost like a graham cracker pie crust.

T: Pine and citrus fruit with a nice sweetness from the malt up front. Great balancing to showcase the hops without over doing it. It finishes on the bitter end with more grapefruit and little malt presence.

M: Light slick body, medium-high carbonation, and REALLY drinkable.

O: WOW. Lagunitas you've done it again. This is the best American wheat beer I've ever had. I would even rate this highly if it were an IPA, but it's a wheat beer! Really freaking good. A must try.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Poured from 12 oz bottle into my new Lost Abbey mug and looks pretty good off the bat. Deep and slightly-opaque golden hue with a fairly light but lacey head that settles smoothly down the sides of the glass. Carbonation seems a bit minimum compared to many wheat ales of similar caliber.

S: Sweet semi-fruity scent without being overbearing or too strong. A slight oat and berry feeling to the smell. A little bit of nutty aroma as well at the end.

T: BAM! Straight to the dome! What a blissful drinking experience this is right off the bat. So many complex flavors swirling around all at the same time with so much synergy between them. Every time I drink this beer I'm continually blown away by how much I love to think about the taste of it. It's piney, it's hoppy to the core, it hits your taste buds wiith a sense of sweetness and bitterness that is out of this world. You can absolutely taste the high ABV (7.5% alcohol) and often this is bad for beers but in this case it's one of the most glorious aspects of the entire brew. Love it, will always love it, and is one of the top 10 best tasting beers I've ever personally had.

M: Mouthfeel is great as well, though not a perfect 5. It's close though - very creamy but once again, not overbearingly so. Light enough to drink a 6-pack and be feeling on top of life.

Overall: This is definitely one of my favorite beers of all time. I've tried almost every release from Lagunitas that has come out in the last 7 years and this ranks up there with the best of them. I hope they never discontinue this one because I will keep buying it and promoting it as long as it's around. Thank you Lagunitas for such a great brew.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A - Nice hazy orange with a hint of yellow in the hue. Great carbonation with a 2 finger white head.

S - Very tropical and dank. Lagunitas classic hop smell. Lemon, grapefruit, pineapple, mango all come through. Hint of pine, but not much.

T - Amazing flavors that extend from the nose. Very tropical and citrus forward with quite a high presence of weed flavor in this one! Superb.

M - Pretty light bodied, but closer to medium. Carbonation is nice, fairly dry finish.

O - Such a sessionable, complex, reasonably priced year round brew! Definitely one of my favorites from Lagunitas; my favorite brewery.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Golden, almost amber color. A nice two finger head that quickly dissipates, but leaves beautiful lacing

S: Tons of tropical fruit like papaya, mango, pineapple. A nice carmel maltiness that balances the slight hop bitterness

T: Hops are there, but not in a bitter way. Very herbal-like quality to the hops. Nice and juicy, mostly papaya and mango flavors.

M: Medium bodied with tons of carbonation.. Relatively dry finish

D: Extremely high. Could easily drink 4 of these

O: Amazing beer. The tropical fruitiness gives this brew a nice juicy character. Good for hopheads, yet good for those who aren't. Check it out if you can

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

If anything, better in the bottle, as wheat beers sometimes are. Great beer, and a homerun for Lagunitas. Much, much hoppier than the average wheat, but the hops wotk here combined with the slightly sweet fruitiness of the wheat and yeasty esters. Pours golden with a relatively thin head and excellent clarity. Smells hoppy, tangy, and slightly sweet with notes of bubblegum and citrus. Highly herbal, with some of the same dill notes I've picked up in a few other West Coast hoppy beers recently (with Exponential Hoppiness being the king of that flavor). I wonder which hop or combination of hops are giving me that taste? Regardless, I really like the effect- particularly with the tanginess of the wheat and the fruity sweetness of the yeast. I love the taste of this. Tangy and herbal, piney and citrusy, and fruity all together. Extremely smooth, followed by a spritzy finish. Mu summer beer of choice for 2009.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a bottle at 45F in a pint glass.

A - This beer is a very clear orangy-red hue that poured three finger head and seemed slightly over-carbonated.

S - Fantastic hoppy smell to it that is robust but inviting. Not unexpected considering the ingredients on the label. :) Fruity indeed.

T - The taste doesn't bring nearly the kick that the smell promised. Honestly, I think this is a good thing and makes the beer much more drinkable for non-hop-addicts. Still has plenty of bitterness while staying balanced. "Wheat Ale" does not come to mind drinking this beer - certainly in line with a more traditional IPA.

M - Very light and refreshing - not watery but very smooth and crisp.

D - at 7.3 the beer was still fairly light masking the alcohol behind plenty of hops and spice. I could certainly drink a couple of these on a hot afternoon.

Overall, I was pleased with the Little Sumpin' Sumpin' after fearing I had missed it this season. Another great beer from a great brewery.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Crystal clear golden beer with a foamy 1 finger head which fades to a film. Nice lacing

S - Smell is strong citrus fruit, predominately grapefruit and a bit of pine or grassiness

T - Sweetness right upfront, hoppy, and similar to the nose, somehwat like drinking grapefruit juice.

M - Medium body, nice crisp drinker, moderate carbonation

O - An exceptional beer, perfect for the spring/summer months. Hoppiness is there but not overwhelming, the citrus fruit flavor makes this one easy to drink, and makes me keep wanting another sip

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

goddamn, goddamn, goddamn i love this beer. ive said it three times and ill say it again: i fucking love this beer and no less than wanton profanity will suffice. in as many ways as it's an ipa, it's something else entirely. thick, sticky and creamy on the tongue, tastes of copious, copious and sugary-sweet citric hops with a rich, sturdy undercurrent of everything from chocolate to grapefruit to an evergreen tree, and a euphoric alcohol warming sensation like mumma rubbin' vicks on yo' tummy. one of my favorites.

4.66/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fabulous beer. Hazy yellow-orange, great head, fine citrusy hoppiness without being overpowering, substantial but not too heavy, refreshing and complex. Nothing like it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Best beer I've had to date. Gave it a 4.75 because I'm only 23 years old and havent had the plethora of brews that say a 60 year old veteran would. So I'd figure I would leave some room for a competitor.

But seriously, this beer is the real deal. Has you feeling good after 2-3 due to the nice ABV. Great bite and perfect finish.

I purchase a 6 pack whenever the opportunities presents itself. But a rare treat in Raleigh, NC.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Tried this beer for the first time tonight after seeing it at the beer store a few times. I really enjoyed it. Nice orange color with some good head on it. Good hop aroma and an even better taste. This is a really good ale with a good bitter finish. I'll definitely be looking for this beer again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into a mason jar, yeah it's a Ball don't worry. Pours slightly hazy orange with a nice two finger white head. Smell is sweet hops, wheat, pine. taste is full of perfectly balanced wheat with sweet piney hops, plenty of citrus, some pineapple, some other sweet fruity notes. I love this beer, definitely a perfect west coast hybrid of an ipa and a wheat beer. As a lover of both styles this is a winner for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a golden amber color with moderate head which shrinks down slowly and a small amount remains.

Smells off wheat and piney, floral hops.

Tastes very much like an IPA with piney and floral hops, with a very noticeable amount of wheat. Very different than most wheat ales, as it's really a wheat IPA, and Lagunitas pulled this off very well.

Moderate body and moderately carbonated. Goes down smoothly, and among the smoothest I've had from Lagunitas.

Overall, this is a great beer and probably my favorite from Lagunitas as well, who I am quite the fan of. I tried this for the first time on thanksgiving and drank it with my brother in law and we both absolutely loved this brew and have since bought it again.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A- Pours an orangy amber hue with a tall cream colored head.

S- The nose explodes with big notes of tangerines and tropical fruits, background notes of some malt sweetness.

T- Leads in super smooth with semi sweet maybe wheat malt? Midpalate explodes with citrus notes, finishes with a nice touch of spice and grapefruit rind bitterness.

M- SO smooth! Literally just rolls across the palate and down the the hatch. Carbonation is moderate to high but of a fine nature that just adds to the smooth texture.

D- This is right up there as one of my favorite Lagunitas beers. It's in credibly easy to drink and the hops while big on flavor don't trounce the palate.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Pours golden, nice big fat head prob cuz I poured it fast.
S - Nose is beautiful - bubblegum, some floral hops, honey, the lightest touch of alcohol to the nose but had to dig to get it. Definite bubblegum on the nose.
T - Taste is very clean, the wheat is light and sets the background to prop up the other flavors. Wow getting some dank, resiny weed-like flavor coming through, some hop bitterness, a bit of pine. Little in the way of barley malt. Definite hop resin flavor that plays beautifully with the light bubblegum flavors. Gonna let it warm a tad and see where it takes me.
Doesn't improve as it warms, but doesn't get worse. An interesting light bitter tang at the end, and the wheat was a great touch as it really let the other flavors come through. Loving this bubblegum smell and flavor, need to know how that's done.
O - Overall an amazing, almost too drinkable IPAish wheat beer. New fav.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A-Pours a translucent gold with a fizzy white head that dissipates quickly leaving a thick ring of foam.

S-Grapefruit is just about the only thing I can get out of the nose which is surprising considering it is a wheat beer. It doesn't really have any of the typical nose characteristics I am used to with this style.

T-Lotes of grapefruit and some lemon notes up front followed by a nice malt/wheat backbone. It finishes with a slightly bready note. Truly delicious.

M-A little thicker than expected with a nice touch of carbonation.

D-Even though its abv. is relatively high one could drink at least three of these in a sitting. Its so delicious and easy drinking though it might creep up on you very quickly.

Until today I had yet to be blown away by a Lagunitas beer. Everything has changed as of this moment. This beer is remarkable. I will be drinking this and maybe only this until next Fall.

$1.99 for a 12 oz.

A: Huge head. Lots of lacing. Hazy, golden in color. Beautiful.

S: Ripe tropical fruits. Pineapple, kiwi, guava, apricot. Intoxicating.

T: Lots of above fruits in the flavor, almost like drinking fruit punch, but there is some mild pine/herbal bitterness at the end. Some wheat bread/cracker malts come up while warming up.

M/O: Very well-carbonated, refreshing. Loving the hops selection used here. Surprised this isn't labeled an IPA. Definitely worth multiple purchases.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company