A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a wonderful translucent gold with one full finger of pure white head. The foam takes a bit to settle, and leaves a ton of lacing on the glass as it drinks.

S: The nose is pungent citrus, a touch of pine, and only slight malt. This beer smells juicy and inviting. I am excite.

T: The first hit is light and sweet, and then... boom! Huge juicy citrus. It's oranges and lemon peel. I get a bit of pine in the back end, but the dominate flavors are citrus. The beer finishes with the perfect mix of bitter and sweet.

M: Light bodied beer. It's watery and sweet to start, juicy in the middle, and well balanced in the finish. The flavors hit the palate and move off quickly. Nothing lingers for longer than it needs to. The carbonation is perfect and the bitters tighten this beer up in the finish.

O: Wonderful beer. It's incredible easy to drink, the citrus flavors really shine, and it's ridiculously refreshing. I think I have found my new summer go-to APA/IPA/easy drinking brew.

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Perfectly clear lite orange in color with a crispy white head.

S: This is a sweet malty smelling beer with big tangerine hops here.

T: Oh man, my friend was right, this is DELICIOUS! The tangerine smell continues though on the taste as well. It's hoppy, especially for a wheat ale. Drinks like an IPA. Good malt base, and those hops are a nice balance, teetering on more bitter than sweet. This is a killer beer!

M: Carbonated a bit on the high side, and medium bodied.

D: Very drinkable, nothing really sticks to the mouth at all and is really easy drinking.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from the bottle in to a Lagunitas mason jar style pint glass for authenticity. It's how they serve them at the Lagunitas Tap Room and Beer Sanctuary, so that's how I'm gonna drink it!

Color is gold-amber. Minimal head because I pour deliberately to avoid head. A little cloudy, probably because it's a wheat beer.

Smell is hoppy. Very similar to their IPA in this regard. I don't know what kind of hops they use specifically but it does smell like the same kind in their IPA. I also pick off a good amount of wheat and citrus.

Taste is VERY good. Quick hops on the front, followed by the wheatiness in the middle and it finishes off with crisp citrus. Each note plays off the last and there's plenty of subtleties. Not excessively bitter given how well balanced it is. A lot more drinkable than their (lower IBU) IPA. The IPA is 50 something IBUs and this is 64.20, but this is way easier to drink. Sweet, cirtusy, wheaty, hoppy, and I'm picking off a little pine too. Absolutely wonderful.

Mouth feel is good, a little more body than their IPA, well carbonated and overall just pleasant.

Overall this one surprised me, it has a lot more citrus and wheat than the nose lets on and it's incredibly good. I was reluctant about trying it before because it costs $9.89 at my work but this beer is fantastic. Definately a Lagunitas brew because they did it proper with the hops, but also really flavorful and balanced. I feel like this beer would be just as "at home" next to the pool on a hot day as it would be with a nice meal or even sitting at your computer and just enjoying a beer. Versatile, complex and most importantly, delicious.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pale gold (SRM 4+) with frothy white head, good carbonation from 12oz bottle; grapefruit and grass notes; lite citrus/grapefruit and grassy bitter hops; crisp, medium lite mouthfeel with lite citrus tongue coating;overall, great "west coast" style...I believe I'll have another!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

First off, I told my wife I want a little sumpin' sumpin' tonight and she said OK so I waited until the next day to try the beer, Love the Name!

A - No straw colored wheat beer here, great light orange color, small head and some lacing

S- you can smell the citrus here, nice! Not over-powering hops.

T- pine, citrus, lingers more on the tongue then I thought it would, since it is a wheat ale, it is 100 degrees outside, it fits the perfect summer time brew.

M - I love how this beer feels, it stays with me way longer than a wheat should and just fills my mouth with flavor, I can see why I snagged the last 6 pack my local store.

O - I am OK with a Wheat but usually just because I am out and that's about the best choice on the menu. Also, I love that this is a wheat at ABV 7.50%, I think that is what adds to the mouthfeel.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Lagunitas continues to impress.

Hops, Hops, and more hops. some malt. Something like that on the label. And a pretty girl.

I'm not a huge fan of the cheesy name and picture, actually. But on to the beer...

Pours a nice clear yellow, a little orange. No sediment. Appropriate carbonation and head.

Smell is quite piney and citrusy. Way more than expected. A wheat ale? Huh? Smells IPA.

And it is. Taste reminded me a lot of Hop Stoopid. Clean, crisp, and fresh hops and citrus. Not as sweet as stoopid. Aftertaste a bit more dry, some spicy yeasty-ness shows the wheat beer character. Wouldn't notice it much if the label didn't tell me to think about it, however.

Mouthfeel thin for the flavors present, but not too thin. Easy drinking for sure.

The last few Lagunitas beers I've had have been great, but they all taste like IPA/DIPA variants. As a hophead, I like that. It may grow old for others.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into nonic pint. Reviewed from multiple bottles from the 6-pack.

A: Pours light golden with a very large, greasy, bright white head that took its time fading into a thick and lasting film. Sheets of sticky lacing were left down the glass.
S: Grassy nose with hints of citrus rind. I’m getting almost no wheat. Definitely a C-hop forward beer; smells like an ipa. I detect notes of orange sherbet as well.
T: Pine and citrus C hops again. Light wheat base, very clean. Hops dominate everything else but the wheat keeps the body light and crisp. More citrus in the finish, lightly bitter pine aftertaste. I get notes of honey and mint in there as well.
M: Medium-light body, clean fine carbonation, refreshing and scrubbing drying mouthfeel. This beer is crazy drinkable.
O: One of Lagunitas best. If you like pale ales or ipas give this one a try. I see many more 6-packs of this in my future.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Pours a light golden color, similar to a pilsner, but slightly darker and more opaque. Great head retention and thickness that is pure white. Parts with a thin and scattered lace on the glass.

S - Hops definitely dominate this aroma. The malts are present and the spices from the wheat are noticeable, but the hop bitterness really stands out.

T - This beer is an "American Pale Wheat Ale." The name describes the taste perfectly in terms of color, lightness, and a hint of spicy flavor. The flavors completely mask the 7.5% abv. with the aid of the 64.2 IBUs.

M - This beer really satiates all parts of the tongue by delivering exactly what it states. No hot alcohol burn, but a perfect kick from the hops and wheat.

D - At 7.5% abv. this beer is dangerously drinkable. The light color and crisp taste really throw me off. I feel as though I'm drinking a normal, lower %, pale ale until I look at the bottle.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

As this is a seasonal release, I'm assuming this is pretty fresh. I can't find any freshness date on the bottle or label.

Poured into my stemmed Anyinger tulip-style glass a glowing gold with brilliant clarity. A good amount of visible uprising carbonation sustains a bright white fluffy 1/2" head. Crazy amounts of splotchy and wide sheets of lace all the way down.

The nose on this baby screams luscious, fresh, oily glorious hops. It has a very similar nose to the Nugget Nectar I tried a few weeks ago. There's some sweet wheat malt going on under the hop assault, making it a little rounder and fruitier.

Man, this baby's got some stones in the hop department! And yes, there's that tamarind flavor I strongly detected in the Nugget Nectar AND in PtE. Warrior hops maybe? Anyway, it's very tasty. A bit savory & zesty with lots of unique character. The wheat malt bill on this (I'd bet) is a bit more substantial than most American Pale Wheat Ales as it's very soft and sweet. It's very hop forward and satisfying.

Mouthfeel is soft, airy and a shade heavier than light bodied. The ultra, ultra fine carbonation makes this a absolute sensory bullseye. The clean, flavorful dry and zippy finish is delightful.

Drinkability is crazy good. On a beautiful breezy 78F summer's afternoon, it's pretty much perfect.

Overall a fantastically hoppy refreshing Pale Wheat Ale. It's the West Coasts version of a FFF Gumball Head! The hop intensity and flavor is big, bright and clean. I'll definitely be heading back to the store where I bought this single and purchase a couple sixers for certain.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

Lagunitas, I have a feeling, will soon be one of my favorite breweries. This is their 2nd offering I've had, the first being the Undercover Shutdown Ale (which I loved).

12 oz bottles (4) consumed from the bottle at a birthday party last night. Didnt pour it (which is why 3.0 appearance - sorry). Edit: hazy orange with lacing scattered & descent booze legs. Looks damn good.

Smell from the bottle is hop heaven. It just smells like a big cooler of fresh mixed floral & citrus hops! If I could bottle this smell & use it as a fragrance, I would. Nose doesnt get much better than this!

Taste is the same but I could surely pick up the wheat base in both taste & mouthfeel. The fresh hop madness works really well with the strong wheat base - very interesting & delicious! Legitimately, it was almost as if I were eating fresh hops that tasted out of this world good. Even my burps were ALL HOPS! Needless to say, I was very much looking forward to my numerous tasty burps. This one was not so bitter at all. The hops acted as more of a fresh floral/citrus hop taste - almost as if they just combined a shitload of varietal low alpha acid hops to the boil.

Mouthfeel was nice, a bit on the thicker side, but it worked really well with the moderate-high carbonation & the wheat/fresh hops mixture.

Bought this 6pack for $9.99. Not a bad price at all for such a delicious beer.

Lagunitas is impressing me more & more. Looking forward to sampling the rest of their offerings in due time.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

A- Beautiful orange gold color with a little bit of head. Head stays throughout drinking. Great lacing.

S- As soon as I opened the cap off the beer I smelled wonderful hops and sweetness.

T- Very hoppy but so delicious. Bitter, but the sweetness balances it out very nice.

M- Very smooth. Carbonation is good.

D- Alcohol is at 7.5% but very very drinkability. Not the type to gulp down, but to drink and enjoy.

I don't review often, because I am new to craft beers and I don't feel I have the knowledge to best express my "liking" of the beer. However, this was such a great beer that I had to attempt to review it. I will purchase this beer again, and again...

Nonetheless, I hope this review helps somewhat. This is a great beer, and very affordable.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a nice deep gold with a fingers worth of white, unstable head

S: Immediate smack of pine and citrus that lets you know you're in for a hoppy delight

T: Bright and vibrant hoppiness with nice lemony undertones and followed by a smooth but supple bitterness that leaves you clean. Can't help but do a little pucker noise after

M: Clean on the tongue and leaves a hoppy footprint but not enough to completely wreck your pallet

O: The perfect beer for 90 degree summer heat. Can't beat the refreshing flavor combined an alcoholic punch that does its job without knocking you on your rear end.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

I accidently bought this beer today, because I went to buy a Little Sumpin Wild Ale and somebody switched them out.
I poured it into a pnt glass and it has a nice gold color. The head isnt very big and fades away after sitting for a few minutes.
The smell is just amazing. It has a lot of pine scents and some sweetness.
The taste is also very enjoyable. It has a lot of pine and your typical typical IPA tastes, but the lingering aftertaste is kind of sour and very tasty.
The beer has a lot of crispness.

Overall this is beer is amazing. I really enjoy every aspect of it and I was fortunate somebody made the switch in the 6 pack.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A:
Looks like your typical APA. Amber with a one and a half finger head that forms into a lovely froth driven ring. Nice bubble movement.

S:
A wonderful hop bouquet dominates the nose. You also pick out grapefruit, orange and pine.

T:
Citrus-like fruity hops. Bitter in the best way possible. Malt and slight pine on the backend. Small amount of alcohol heat. To say the absolute least: incredible.

M:
Medium to medium-heavy in the mouth. Perfect carbonation.

O:
I never thought I'd say it, but I think A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' may have dethroned Gumballhead for my favorite in this style, and that says a lot coming from a guy who would defend FFF to the death.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

poured 12oz bottle into snifter. Bottled August 3. Reviewed August 22.

A - Sun kissed orange with a cloudy appearance. Billowy 2.5 finger white head that fades and leaves a fat collar and thick swaths of lacing behind.

S - Delicate tropical and citrus notes from the Amarillo hops. Orange, ripe pineapple, and mango. Some sweet honeysuckle and wheat Ritz cracker complete the aroma.

T - Starts with the tropical and citrus of ripe pineapple, mango, and orange. The sweetness follows with honey, bread, and some wheat Ritz cracker. A bit of pine and citrus bitterness on the finish.

M - Rich and well carbonated with a medium light body. Fluid and well carbonated, high acidity despite high bitterness. Very compelling for another sip.

O - Amarillo hops added to a Wheat Ale = delicious and a great beer for anytime of the year. One of my favorite Lagunitas offerings.

12 oz Bottle

Appearance: Clear, Amber colored ale with a moderately thick head.

Smell: Probably one of the best smelling beers out there. A nice tropical fruity aroma (Peaches / Pineapple) with some hoppy undertones.

Taste: Tropical Fruits + Citrus + Hops at first with a Malty finish that's on the sweeter side. Very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with medium carbonation. Does not feel like a 7.50Z% ABV beer. Very easy to drink and might I add, easy to over-drink if not careful :)

Overall: Great Great brew. Tastes and feels like an IPA but as easy to drink as a Wittbier. One word: Stunning!

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company