A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date.

Pours a hazed copper color with fast rising head, retention and lace is prominent. very attractive beer.

Hop profile of DIPA!!! Super pungent citrus blasts with Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, orange, and dank pine all blasting through my nose. having a hard time picking out the wheat and malts but they are in their somewhere.

BAM, Hops straight down the throat. not overly aggressive but bitter enough to deter the casual light beer drinker. Hops taste in essence with the scent but a nice caramel/wheat malt backbone balance it all out very well. Outstanding

Medium bodied with a slightly creamy feel to it, moderate prickly carbonation. Very refreshing finish with a tasty afterthought of fruity citrus hops.

7.5% abv 64.20 I.B.U this Summer wheat ale is the best ive had in a long time. Easy drinker for the hop head in us all.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

On tap at Lagunita's new tap room/Beer Garden on 7/18/09. Served in a plastic logo cup.

A - Very effervescent, hazy amber/orange body with about a finger's width of creamy off-white head that retained exceptionally well and deposited thick, foamy lace around the cup.

S - Very aromatic West Coast hop nose. I smelled this across the table! Pungent pine and citrus character with grapefruit... a lot of grapefruit... an inordinate amount of grapefruit, actually. Not that I'm complaining. Oh yeah, there's some sweet caramel malt in there too.

T - Juicy grapefruit blended with a touch of sappy pine, although flavor is again more on the citrusy side of the spectrum. Sweet caramel malts keep this from heading into hop overload.

M - Medium bodied with a sticky, somewhat oily texture and moderate carbonation. Very slick mouthfeel overall. Assertive bitterness on the palate, but lots of residual sweetness as well.

D - This is easily my new favorite offering from Lagunitas! This is a really citrus-forward brew with fresh grapefruit out the wazoo, almost like Ballast Point Dorado without the alcohol presence. Awesome!

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Big three-fingered fluffy white head. Clear, golden body with sporadic traces of carbonation trickling to the surface. Superb head and lace retention.

S: Big, juicy pine hops. This is an "I love beer" kind of beer. It's big, bitter, fruity, hoppy and all sorts of fun. Somewhat sugary and candy-like. Not really picking up a lot of wheat. It's there, but I'm distracted by these wonderful hops. I wish I smelled like this beer.

T: Oh so wonderful. Oh yes. Yes, yes, yes. Much more wheat here, but citrusy hops are still the dominant force. Perhaps not quite as bitter as the nose suggests, but palate-cleansing enough. Juicy orange and grapefruit intermingle with the wheat in nuanced ways. Finish has traces of wheat and pleasant bitterness.

M: My central complaint is that it goes down way too easy. I'm more than halfway through the bottle already as I write this line.

O: One of my favorites, and certainly my favorite wheat beer (in that it tastes like an IPA).

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appperance- Pours very light apricot, witha very thick three to four finger light khaki head. Lacing is all around this thing.4.25

Aroma- strong grapefruit aroma, nice earthy pine. This thing is loaded with all kinds of citrus notes, orange, apricot, pineapple. this smells more like an IPA. 4.25

Taste- Much like the aroma the taste is just packed full of citrus notes. Not much grapefruit, but tons of tropical fruits, mango and pinapple are just overflowing in this taste. There's also a slight orange cream hidding in there to. Dont get me wrong, these are not IPA level citrus notes, but they come very close. Very even taste throughout. 4.75

Feel- Light to medium body, Very easy to drink, coats your palate evenly, higher ABV then would think.4.5

Overall- I was not expecting to like this beer this much. Lagunitas makes a bunch of differnt beers that taste very similar to one and other, but i freaking love that taste. i could totally drink way more of these then i should. 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass
no born on/best before date

A: Pours an absolutely crystal clear golden yellow with 3 fingers width of dense, bright white head. Head dissipates down slowly to a thick film that remains throughout the majority of the drink. Leaves a sheet of fine bubbled lacing.

S: Tropical fruit hop notes with big aromas of pineapple, mango, and papaya. Sweet malts, and spicy and sweet wheat aromas. Citrus notes in the form of orange and lemon-lime. A hint of piney bitterness. Fantastic.

T: Sweet characters are what I get first, sweet malts, wheat and some sweeter fruit notes. Next the hops come out with pine and citrus in the form of orange and lemon zest. Huge hop notes for the style. Excellent.

M/D: Medium body, exceptionally smooth for the style, slightly drying on the finish, great drinkability for the ABV.

O: Overall, what a fantastic beer. Hands down the best American Pale Wheat Ale Ive ever had (blows Gumballhead out of the water if you ask me). Highly recommend.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled froma bottle with no freshness date. Deep yellow in color with excellent clarity. Poured with a dense yellowish-white head that slowly reduced to a thick cap. Lot of wet sticky lacings on the glass. Citrus grapefruit and orange aromas with along with plenty of caramel sweetness and hint of toasty malt. Medium bodied with nice refreshing carbonation. Sweet malty and citrus grapefruit hop flavors are well balanced through the beginning and middle. The wheat flavor peeks through toward the end as this finishes slightly dry and very clean. Thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Wouldn't think twice about having it again. Lagunitas has yet to disappoint.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2010 vintage. I realize Lagunitas is not a brewery most beer geeks fawn over, but this is one of their more excellent beers, in my opinion.

I picked up a sixer in 2009, another two in 2010, and I'm considering making this a "caser" in 2011. Great stuff.

A: Pours a clear gold color with a generous 2 inches of off-white head. Retention is moderate, retreating over a few minutes into a clumpy film on the brew. Leaves thick register marks down the side of the glass.

S: Citrus, particularly lemon, but there's a slightly tangy component to it that suggests orange, grapefruit, and pineapple. A light dose of spice and some wheat.

T: In my opinion, it's an extremely hoppy version of the American Pale Wheat style, but that caters to my tastes. It starts off with lemon, grapefruit, and pineapple, but wheat kicks in so quickly that the bitterness remains muted and balanced. Wheat pulls through into the finish, where there is a lightly spicy earth and pine hop flavor. I pick up a grainy biscuit taste, as well.

M: Light-medium body. Carbonation is high and crisp. Very refreshing. It's an extremely hoppy wheat beer, but it doesn't feel nuts at all. It's not very dry. Good balance.

D: I'm impressed, somewhat despite myself. Not a style I follow, and I generally stick to Lagunitas' strong ales. They did a great job with this one. It costs more than their IPA around here, but I'm willing to pay that. Please, sir, may I have some more?

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was a little reluctant to try this, because I thought it couldn't be as good as Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute. Boy, was I wrong. This is just fantastic! If this is going to be available year-round, it will be in my refridgerator year-round.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

A - clear amber - just happen to see this next to a stone ipa in identical glasses - they are the precise same color but the stone is hazy and this is crystal clear.

S - if you don't like the smell of this beer, you are a troubled soul. powerful bouquet of fruit with enough hops so that it is not cloying. we should all be so lucky as to have a woman who smells like this.

T - full, little hoppy but not particularly aggressive or overwhelming in any way. the taste does not live up to the smell but it's nice and very drinkable.

M - round and finishes clean

O - nice brew, mellow enough to have several in a row but may make you think everything else you own smells like crap.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

A - slightly golden, light head
S - Very citrusy, hints of grapefruit.
T - Creamy citrus, almost like a grapefruit dreamcicle, with a nice hoppy finish.
M - Feels like a very lightly carbonated phosphate -- somewhere between water and syrup.
D - Punchy but refreshing, an excellent summer brew. I had one on a very warm Sunday after church, and while the label may not call someone to seek after the mysteries of the divine, the taste definitely will.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

A - A pale , almost exhausted golden yellow. Poured with a nice full head and leaves some attractive lacing.

S - Dominated by citrus hops with some light wheat malts in the background. Smells refreshing, and frankly just makes me want to dive in.

T - Starts with a nice smooth citrus hop flavor which dims into tastes of sweet fruits. This is all tied together by a solid malt backbone, which while holding the beer together does not make an overbearing presence. This is truly fantastic.

M - Velvety smooth with ideal carbonation. Medium body that is nearly creamy while retaining the hoppy character that I have grown to love.

O - Overall this is a fantastic brew that hits almost every note spot on. While speaking amongst some friends, we have concluded this is one of the best deals available, and if I had to have a nice brew to sip on a a sunny afternoon, there is none better than a little sumpin' sumpin'! Not to mention at $10.49 a sixer with wide availability, this is simply the benchmark.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, 2013 vintage (unknown bottling date but in my fridge for about a month), poured into my FFF Teku tasting glass , drank on 6/13/13 over a half-hour.

A: 4.75 -golden-brown coloration, impressive clarity (can see through but difficult to read through) with little hop haze, 1/2 finger head on pouring quickly dissipates into a subtle glass lacing, minimal alcohol legs on re-swirling --> a beautiful appearing American wheat ale

S: 4.50 - impressive hop (albeit attenuated from my recollection of a fresher bottle) and malt aroma throughout: hop - grapefruit, lemon, organe; malt - oatmeal/wheat, biscuit

T: 4.50 - slight bitterness on the front of the tongue that opens the taste bds; in the middle of the mouth, citrus-forward hop notes predominate with some wheat characteristics more subtle behind; on the back end, there malt character kicks it with some wheat and caramel notes, little residual sweetness consistent with a West Coast IPA --> one of the most impressive tasting American wheat beers out there

M: 4.50 - moderate bodied, >7% is hidden within; decreased carbonation relative to other American wheat beers, but, to my palate, that's acceptable

O: 4.50 - I was initially of the impression that Laguintas was one of the most overrated West Coast breweries but, suffice it to say, my opinion has changed dramatically with several of their recent offerings including this one; this is a really refreshing American wheat ale with lots of the West Coast IPA characteristics; I could put several of these done without feeling full and enjoy every taste; this is also exceptionally reasonably priced for a 6 pack for this caliber

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a clean yellow/ orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma grapefruity citrus hops. In the taste, citrus grapefruity hops and orange juice like, a bit sticky sweet. A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel and a semi dry grapefruity citrus aftertaste. Nice hops and hides ABV, smooth and easy to drink.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours a straw yellow color with a nice fluffy white head with sticky lacing left behind.

S: Wow. Not what you expect with a Wheat. Like everyone before me has said, this smells like an IPA. Piney and Citrusy.

T: Not like a wheat. I think the only reason I get a hint of wheat is because my eyes are reading Wheat and telling my palate that's what it is. This is not your Fathers Wheat Beer...

M: Nice medium body with ample carbonation and a very nice hoppiness.

D: I wish I could just get an IV of this shit hooked right into my veins. I'm sitting here working on my 3rd glass and we just tapped the keg! Definitely worth trying. A true Hybrid beer!

[Poured into an Lagunitas Mason jar]

I: I've had many beers from Lagunitas, and they were always good to me, but not great. Well, today I review their most praised beer, the Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale. The interesting thing behind this beer is that the beer community can't form a consensus on whether it's a wheat beer or an ipa. Well, lets get to it.

B:[7.5% ABV, 12 FL. OZ. Bottled January 2011] I've always admired Lagunitas beer labels and would say they are my 3rd favorite(Stone 1st followed by The Great Divide). Love the texture of the label, feels like paper, but doesn't have that cheap laminated feel. General information is all there, but would of enjoyed a story/summary behind the beer like stones.

A: Orange/amber transparent body with a big carbonated/scattered head(moderate dissipation), and decent lacing.

S: For a supposed wheat beer, this sure as hell smells like an ipa. Upfront is pineapple and grapefruit with a good hop presence.

T: Citrus grapefruit is dominated with dry sweet malt, but doesn't linger after finish with some smokey hops throughout(brings out the alcohol).

M: Smooth/slightly dry finish, medium bodied, medium carbonation, and moderate alcohol presence(complemented by the hops).

O: I am a believer!!! Interesting/tasty beer in every word, and the best Lagunitas brew I've had so far. I can't say I have any gripes with this beer. The dominate grapefruit you see in many ipas is upfront, but doesn't linger after finish. I guess the only sense of a wheat beer is the finish, but it's settle. Besides that, I would classify this as an ipa. Good beer worthy of my shelf, go pick up a six pack.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

another lagunitas for these warm summer days in the CNY! Poured into a tulip glass

A- pours a delicious golden body with a generous foamey head. Consistant carbonation rips throughout the brew. A cake like siding cultivates on the side of the glass. A really unfilitered, hefe kind of look

S- a strong almost IPA kind of scent. Sweet grapefruit with a very bitter and dry scent at the end. This are some spiced aspects that linger as well. It's similar to Sam summer in that respect, but the hopped up grapefruit themes are flamboyant!

T- wow this is great! A dry flavor of grapefruit and pine begin the spiced presentation of the brew. There is some sweet malt that quickly tranisitions into a bitter taste. I do have a sense of a slight spiced wheat theme that is helping develop this brew. Most unexpected

M- crisp and carbonated in the mouth. The flavor is so outstanding that it lingers with bitterness

D- Lagunitas has impressed me again. I really appreciate what comes from Caly. I am going to go out on a limb and say that this is one of the most drinkable/tasty summer beers I have had. Although I do sense some confusion with the entire profile of the beer resembling an IPA... there is that slight spiced wheat presense that provides integrity of the brew. Just great

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company