A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,486 | Hads: 7,994
4.74/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L- clear golden slight orange with a pretty thick head.
S- great citrus hoppy smell
T- lots of citrus and hop with a wonderful bready finish that creates a smoother finish. Wonderful mix. Do
Feel- the more I drink the better it gets. Smooth with a unique bite.
O- I had this about a year ago, and don't remember it being this good. Lagunitas keeps getting better (368 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

Recently drank a bunch of Sumpin sumpin at the City Pages Beerfest in Minneapolis. Great beer, was one of the staples besides surly at the fest. The apperance was a golden orange, decent head. The smell was heaven, grapefruits and hops, with a little malt to it. Tastes just like it smells, grapefruit, hops, sweet finish, citrusy! Mouthfeel was slightly oily with a tiny bitterness. great american pale wheat ale. not much wheat to it which was surprising to me. (463 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm admitedly a beer novice, so take this for what it's worth: this might be the best beer I've ever tried. The carton states how we should cease classifying everything and simply let it be what it is. Amen, especially as it pertains to this beer. (247 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured slightly cloudy golden into a S.A. draft glass. Immediate smell of yeast and a citrus hoppy hint. Upon first taste, it had a pleasant sweetness to it, like plum with plenty of hops hangin' around. A very nice easy drinkin' mouthfeel and a decent head. A little yeasty aftertaste, but its supreme flavor leaves you yearning for more. This was an awesome suprise to my mix 6 pack I picked up at Andersons Market in Toledo. I would definitely recommend this to friends and buy again. Great taste reigns supreme, a nice little kick at 7.5% ABV. (547 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a nonic.

Appearance: Pours a golden, fairly translucent color with a fingers worth of head, that retains and laces fairly well.

Smell: Smells of citrus and hops (primarily grapefruit and lime) with a touch of wheat and floral aspects. Smells super good.

Taste: This is a perfect tasting beer. Grapefruit and hops hit the forefront - these are incredibly complex hops and tend to taste just a bit different every sip. There's some lime, wheat, and bready malts hanging out to finish this out. This beer just tastes exceptional. A perfect taste for sure.

Mouthfeel: Light, carbonated, and dare I say, refreshing. Especially for such a hop-forward brew.

Drinkability: Wait, wait, hold on. This is 7.5% ABV? No way. This goes down so easily without any hint of alcohol. You can try to session it, although it'll get you pretty sloshed.

I love, love, love this beer. I wrote Lagunitas a few months ago begging them to keep this a year-round brew, and a few months later they announced that it would indeed be year round. This says something about it. A hoppy, complex brew that's incredibly drinkable and hides its ABV dangerously well. What's not to love? (1,193 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Served in a 12 oz nonic glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: The beer is lightly hazy and is golden/orange almost tan in color. The 1/3" off-white head recedes soon but also leaves some nice speckled but sparse lacing early on. Sipping continues to leave speckles of lacing for a while be eventually they are gone before the beer is finished.

Smell: The aroma is fresh and definite with a bit of pine and lots of citrus fruitiness: grapefruit, some lemon and some tangerine.

Taste: The flavor is clean crisp and fresh and pretty much what would be expected from the aroma but it is also more complex than the aroma. The grapefruit blends nicely with the tangerine and the hint of lemon while the pale malt and wheat provide some nice balanced sweetness to keep the hops in check.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is light bodied and silky with a fair amount of prickly on-going carbonation. The finish is medium long and is a nice mix of sweetness from the grains and bitterness from the hops. Its hard to decide if the finish is dry or lightly sweet.

Drinkability: This is definitely a very drinkable brew. I could easily have had 2-3 more. However, the alcohol is so well hidden you don't realize just how high the abv actually is. I will definitely be putting this one on my wheat beer shopping list, probably by the case (1,364 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Nice light brown coloring. Golden amber.

S - Citrus, and hoppy.

T - Initial taste, very hoppy and sweet. Doesn't have that hoppy over the top bite to it though. I can also taste a caramel undertone. There is a mild bitterness that lingers in the back of your mouth. Top notch.

M - Has a pretty light feeling to it. At 7.2% it's definitely no light beer but goes down easily. The hops and the carbonation give it a nice crisp feel.

Overall this is a fantastic beer. Lagunitas is making some killer stuff and they've yet to disappoint! I feel very lucky to be able to have access to many different types of beer they make from their Cappuccino Stout to Brown Shugga. They all come highly recommended. Cheers. (715 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Noticeable clear in color with a light golden honey color. Excellent head and textbook lacing that stuck around even after I finished my beer.

Nice citrusy hoppy aromas and tastes on a claen wheat body. Dry finish with crisp hop flavor. This seems high on the hop flavor scale without too much percieved bitterness. The most hop fwd APWA I have had to date - but well done. APWA meets IPA.
I love this beer. The most enjoyable "surprise beer" I have had in quite awhile.

And I usually dont even like most Lagunitas offerings, well nix that - this is a slam dunk! (564 characters)

Bottle poured into a Tulip

Golden color Thick head that lingers well

Fruity citrus almost pineapple smell

Taste of citrus with a good feel of hops on the backend. Alcohol present slightly in the finish.

This is a new beer to me that I really find very drinkable. May become a new favorite. (293 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured center from 12 oz bottle into a snifter. I actually had to pour canted because the head was so large. Clean pale straw color with a thick creamy head of consistent fine-moderate sized bubbles that would make you think it were nitrous were it not for the bubble size. Thick retention stays around and leaves thick sticky lacing. As you drink the sip lines stay on the glass. Several streams of carbonation mostly concentrated around the center of the glass.. Looks fantastic

S: Buttered toast aroma with a floral hop and lemon in the finish.

T: Buttered white toast body with a little caramel. Easy lime finish. Extremely easy to drink and this will be gone in no time. Very easy to drink for a 7.5% beer.

F: Creamy mouthfeel and the hops are zippy on the tongue in the finish.

6/23/15
Snifter glass (818 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Believe the hype. My go to. Lagunitas hits it out of the park with Sumpin'. It has citrus, it's slightly bitter, it's refreshing, it's great with spicy food. I love the label design of anything Flying Dog, and Sumpin' by Lagunitas is a great looking label. Throwback pinup girl is asking you if you want to take a sip, and you do. She's naughty and knows you like that. I put this beer up against almost anything. Best part is that it's available all the time. The hype isn't a limited availability marketing/snob thing. Only mark I have against it is the difference in pricing locally. I see it at Alberson's for $14.99 a sixer but can pick it up at my favorite ma and pa liquor store for $9.99. (696 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a semi-transparent gold with a thick white head. Smells of citrus zest, tropical fruits, and flowers with a touch of pepper. The taste is similar to the aroma with some added hints of apple; it's also a tad spicy and slightly bitter. The malt is there but very faint. It's crisp, refreshing, and not boozy at all, especially considering the high ABV. For $8.99 a 6 pk, this is too good to be true! (408 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is, hands down, one of my favorite beers. There, I said it.

Radiant appearance. Depth of honey orange color with vibrant clarity. Pours perfectly and leaves firm lace in the glass.

On the nose, both grassy and floral notes come forward. Additional complexity is revealed as beer warms slightly in the glass.

As to taste, the complexity continues. Big hop attack at first sip. Restrained but solid malt backbone to support it. Doubt I walked have nailed the wheat presence in a blind taste. It would seem to help keep things clean, not too sweet, to better showcase the vibrant and ample hop bitterness. Bravo!

It's a strong beer that makes its presence known in terms of mouthfeel, but without being cloying or sticking around like a bad houseguest.

Tasted blindly, I would have pegged this as an IPA in the style of Ranger, Racer 5, or Sculpin...but better. And those latter two are damn good beers!

So, I end where I began. This is one of my favorite beers. Period. (982 characters)

Date Reviewed: 1-19-14
Brewer: The Lagunitas Brewing Company
Product: A Little Sumpin' Ale
Style: American Pale Wheat Ale
ABV: 7.5%
IBUs: 64.20
Glassware: North Coast Brewing Tulip
Service Type: 12 oz bottle

A: Vigorous pour. Three fingers of eggshell-white head. Carbonation is high and true to style. Bubble size is from foam to 1/8th inch and is very consistent in the range of 1/16th inch. Head retention is excellent. Lacing is stocky and covering 90% of the glass as the head recedes. Color is Deep Gold (6 SRM) and beer is very slightly hazy. The lacing is extraordinary.

S: Citrus, grapefruit, lemon, a bit of pine, wheat malt, some more hops. As it warms the nose gets a bit stronger but not much.

T: Lemon, grapefruit, pale wheat malt, sugar, hops. Crisp and refreshing with a slightly sweet finish. Goes bitter and disappears. No hint of alcohol in taste. Aftertaste is both sweet and sour and somewhat astringent.

M: Light-Medium bodied. Starts smooth and creamy. Goes to tingly which crecendos and fades to a slight warmth and a crisp dry finish. The slight sour of the citrus in the aftertaste makes my mouth water for more. :)

O: An extremely well-constructed beer. Very drinkable. And excellent introduction beer to craft beer curious. Appearance is beautiful. Nose is very light when cold so nose it but do not expect much until it warms. The nose does not grow as big as the taste as it warms. Mouthfeel is awesome. This beer is great. (1,458 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a clear(some haze) golden yellow color.a beautiful reminder of summertime it has a great 1/2 head and exceptional lacing..the smell is great its pine and hops and grapefruit with a gumball smell..its very nice..the taste is superb it starts with hops and grapefruit that just permeate the taste buds there is a sweet gum, fruit taste that is ever so slight with a slight wheat and malt taste that is all in perfect balance with the hops that are in charge..taste is perfect the mouthfeel is everything b4 mentioned except to tell you that this is just a smooth and creamy wheat ...im going to call this one an IMPERIAL WHEAT.. i can not believe it is 7.3 abv...wow if you like 3f gumballhead or hop stoopid this one is a combination of both but better than either.. as you can tell highly recommended (806 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clean and crisp pale honey color with a finger and a half of bright white foamy head. Excellent lacing all the way down my glass.

The aroma is full of resinous pine sap, juicy hops, and vibrant citrus notes.

The taste follows suit. Citrus laced pine sap is the first thought that runs through my mind. Very clean and crisp with a sharp bite on it.

Medium bodied with the perfect amount of carbonation that stings my tongue with each sip. Just enough to make it enjoyable. Very easy drinking, goes down smooth and finishes with a drying hop aftertaste that makes me thirsty for more.

Overall, this is the best pale wheat ale that I have had, including Gumball Head. And the best part about this one is it is available right down the road any time I want more. (771 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first Lagunitas beer in a long time. They finally made it to VT!

Pours a pretty golden yellow color with a white head of foam. It looks like a lemon meringue with the hue.

Hoppy with a touch of mango and slight apricot. It's not overhopped even at 7.5%.

Mmmm mango and grapefruit from the hops brighten up the taste buds. Hard to believe that this is an APWA because it's so well-done that I couldn't tell that there was wheat present.

Lingering citrus notes pepper the mouthfeel, followed by a slight amount of clove.

Very well done! A very interesting take on the style. I believe that the other ratings are justified as well. (638 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I stumbled on this new fave two days ago at World Wines in Mentor. Being a fan of Lagunitas, and seeing a reasonably high ABV, I thought it would be worth a try. I was looking for a price and didn't see one, but still, Lagunitas makes first rate stuff.

I got one semi cold and had it the other day and was shocked by the number of flavors mixed in this one. It's hoppy, it's malty, it has a wheat yeast taste. All going on at the same time.

Unlike some other Lagunitas brews, this one is balanced nicely with enough hops to overcome the yeast and malt (some of the others are very malty). The ABV will come after you, so be careful.

This morning I headed over to the store where I got this and bought two more sixes (of the three they had). Price was not on my mind (I think it was $10 or $11) I apologized for hoarding.They told me the last one I didn't buy is the last one they will have (it had just come in Thursday and that was all they will get). California is a long way from NE Ohio, and I may not see a Little Sumpin again for a while, but it sure is sumpin good. (1,076 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For awhile I have been reading a blog post from a guy here in KC raving about how good this beer is. See, from past offerings I have kinda lost an interest in Lagunitas because everything just seemed kinda average. That was then this is now and the KC beer blogger was dead on, A Little Sumpin is delicious.

Pours a crisp hazy golden yellow with a nice frothy head, it screams at me to head out into the sun.

The aroma is excellent, heavy hops with a mild sweetness.

The flavor is excellent as well, very distinguished hop presence but with a mild breadiness that intermingles and creates a perfect balance.

Mouth feel is crisp and clean, extremely refreshing. The right amount of carbonation.

As I said before, this brew is delicious. The abv is a little higher than desired for an everyday drinker but thats the only flaw, minor at that. This has completely transformed my previous view of Lagunitas. (907 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

This is one of my all time favorites. The first time I tried this beer, it was love at first site.

Appearance: This beer pours a beautiful and crystal clear copper hue with a 1 to 2 finger head and lots of sticky lacing in the glass.

Smell: Signature Lagunitas Aroma. I huge pop of citrus hops with some slight piney and floral notes. I love the over the top citrus aroma that this beer has, though. Lagunitas has really perfected the great aroma of a higher IBU beer.

Taste: A strong hop flavor that isn't overly bitter that is very nicely paired to a soft malt backbone. The hops are the predominant flavor, but not over powering. The malt backbone consists of some crystal/caramel malt notes, with some slightly biscuity characteristics.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, silky, easy drinking.

Overall: I absolutely love this beer for any time of year. Well done Lagunitas and I hope you continue to crank out some more tasty beers such as this one. (945 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a great amber/orange color with a big pillow of foam on top.

S: Aroma is of grapefruit/citrusy hops and malts.

T: A full on assault of hops exploding on the taste buds and sweet malts to help balance it all out.

M: Medium bodied and good carbonation level, smooth but by no means mellow true fighter this beer stands tall and shouts go ahead drink me down.

O: Great beer all around love it ! (404 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

I am happy to finally review this beer as it is my favorite beer from one of my favorite breweries- Lagunitas. 12 oz bottle poured into a stemless wine glass.

Appearance- pure gold. Nice white head with above average retention. Nice, intricate lacing.

Smell- fantastic, citrusy, grapefruit aroma. Very nice.

Taste- Amazing! Seriously, I am not usually a fan of wheat beers but trust me when I say this tastes like a stellar ipa. Man, this stuff is good! Mega citrusy and strong, sweet, juicy, grapefruit flavor. I don't even like grapefruit but it tastes so good in this beer. I have destroyed six packs of this beer in record time simply because it tastes so good and is ridiculously refreshing.

Mouthfeel- this is another area where this beer excels. Dare I say perfect? Light to medium carbonation and just refreshing as all get out.

Overall- not only is this my favorite Lagunitas beer, it is one of my favorite beers of all time of all styles. Ridiculously refreshing on a sultry South Florida day. You must try this beer. An interesting style but ipa lovers will adore this beer. Top notch. (1,105 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer very impressed!
I like way better than their IPA!

A: Light amber color, 1/4 inch head but short lived, and a fine lace on the glass.

S: HOPS! fruity, yet a little piney

T: GREAT! the aroma doesn't give it justice... Fruit and honey, almost reminds me of fruity pebbles cereal (but not quite) yet hoppy. crisp but with a dry finish. not too bitter though.

M: very crisp and drinkable for being so high in ABV... DANGEROUS!

One of my Favorites from Lagunitas! (477 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours light amber, almost yellow color with finger width foamy head. Head retention and lacing are okay. Has a citric aroma. Slightly piney. Lightly citric malty taste up front with a nice bitter piney hop at the end with a wheat edge. Bitter soapy aftertaste that is great. Excellent beer. Definitely one of my favorites. (329 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

I've never brewed anything quite this good.
It's got a light amber appearance.
A very fruity aroma, like a fruit cocktail.
Tastes like tropical fruit with a nice malt backbone.
The ABV is very well hidden.
This is one of my favorite beers and it proves that you don't need to throw a bunch of money away to drink some of the finest beer in the land. (349 characters)

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company