A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,911 | Reviews: 1,569
4.01/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a bottle into pint glass in June 2015.

Appearance: Hazy light gold with almost white head. Head is very thick and sticks to the glass.

Smell: Strong citrus aroma, like grapefruits. Also get some hops and pepper aromas, but the citrus aroma dominate the others.

Taste: Nice balance and variety of flavors. There is a strong hops and citrus flavor but with a little pepper flavors as well. There is some sweetness too, and the hops do not dominate.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, and very smooth.

This is an interesting IPA. It has a nice mix of grapefruit, hops, and other flavors, which makes it interesting. I like the overall balance, and that the hops do not dominate the flavor. A very good ale.

4.71/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured center from 12 oz bottle into a snifter. I actually had to pour canted because the head was so large. Clean pale straw color with a thick creamy head of consistent fine-moderate sized bubbles that would make you think it were nitrous were it not for the bubble size. Thick retention stays around and leaves thick sticky lacing. As you drink the sip lines stay on the glass. Several streams of carbonation mostly concentrated around the center of the glass.. Looks fantastic

S: Buttered toast aroma with a floral hop and lemon in the finish.

T: Buttered white toast body with a little caramel. Easy lime finish. Extremely easy to drink and this will be gone in no time. Very easy to drink for a 7.5% beer.

F: Creamy mouthfeel and the hops are zippy on the tongue in the finish.

6/23/15
Snifter glass

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding beer to enjoy on special occasions. Exquisit bitterness, beautiful and powerful! If you want to impress your friends, give them one Lagunitas Little Sumpin!

2.54/5  rDev -39.7%

Not a big fan of the flavor. Had a skunky taste that was unpleasant to me. Possibly an old keg.

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Not quite as hoppy as some brewers make their pale ales which is just fine with me. You get the hops without quite so much bitterness. An OK brew.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Really great summer beer. Not to hoppy, nice long lasting head. I will be buying more of this

3.83/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Surprisingly refreshing for such a high alcohol content. Peppery bite but I really enjoyed the aroma and feel. The waiter recommended it over Sculpin and I would agree.

4.94/5  rDev +17.3%

One of my favorite beers

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Clean. Lite to medium hoppiness. Good not amazing.

4.41/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

When you go wheat, this can't be beat. I've tried. It can't. No better hop character, malt/wheat balance on the planet. In fact, half the people that taste it do not even know it is a wheat beer. See? Nobody touches it. OK. maybe Gumballhead but that's it!...Or Oberon.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Perfection from the tap. Another strong brew from Lagunitas.

4.01/5  rDev -4.8%

Not an IPA guy. Drank most of this. Like a slightly gentler Rebel Rouser from Sam Adams. Smells grassy, critrusy and very early summers evening. Taste unlike an IPA. Hoppy yes, but slight bitterness that lingers a tad longer and a bit more intense. Looks amazing. Golden with amber hues. Still won't be an IPA guy, but a 6 pack once in a while would be enjoyable. Fantastic!

Sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Nice straw color with one finger of bright white head. Aroma is amazing with lots of citrus and some floral notes as well.
Taste is similar to aroma of some of malty sweetness on back end. Finishes really smooth with some mild residual bitterness, ridiculously well balanced

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This first time I ever had this I had no idea what it was, and just finished a long bike ride. I was completely blown away. Get some.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Real hoppy, which was unexpected. Very citrusy and really quite sweet to taste. It reminded me a bit of Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA.

Smelled fantastic--I was hugging the empty bottle after I had finished, just taking whiff after whiff of that floral, hoppy aroma. This is a heavier pale ale compared to say, Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.

I enjoyed this very much, but a little too heavy for Close-to-Summer weather for me. Might enjoy this better in the fall. Highly Recommend!

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm admitedly a beer novice, so take this for what it's worth: this might be the best beer I've ever tried. The carton states how we should cease classifying everything and simply let it be what it is. Amen, especially as it pertains to this beer.

2.65/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Great smell and look but I'm no hop head. The over the top IPA bitterness made me hand this one off. It's a no for me.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great aroma, great taste, and a great overall beer for the summer. Tasted great on tap, bottled seemed good too, maybe a little strong with the alcohol content which was more apparent in the bottle for some reason. One of my favorites.

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This ale has a whole lotta sumpin goin on. Aroma is fantastic. Flavors of hops and tanginess play together nicely. So much flavors! Lagunitas kills it again.

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

An overall great beer. Citrusy and bright, the slight wheat haziness and grain pairs perfectly with the otherwise crisp, dryness. Beautiful white head lasts until the last wonderful drop.

3.28/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Intense citrus , floral and hop smell, but tastewise this beer tries too hard to be something it is not with an overly intense IPA approach. Will not buy again.

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

LOOK: Poured into 25oz mug down side finishing with center pour. Left a significant head, perhaps I was a bit aggressive on the pour. Head was very white & frothy, leaving significant lacing as it slowly dissipated. Very light, clean & clear body, slightly orange/yellow hue. Looked extremely light & refreshing, just what I was in the mood for.

SMELL: HOPS!!!, Amazingly strong yet complex aroma. The smell seemed to combine lots of hops characteristics with citrus, pine & a fruity sweetness lingering. Don't have to stick your nose in to get an idea of what this ale is about.

TASTE: It pretty much taste like it smells. Heavy hops flavors with a nice citrus sharpness to it. Neat blend of slightly tangy/sweet fruitiness going on with a blend of malt & alcohol flavors holding it all together giving it a nice finish. I'm a bit surprised that the alcohol flavor wasn't more prevalent. I REALLY like the complexity of this ale.

FEEL: It had a bit heavier body than I anticipated based on the look. That being said, it was smooth & refreshing, making me want for more. This is an extremely drinkable ale.

OVERALL: I think this is probably one of the best beers I've ever had. I may have found a new "go-to" beer, definitely in the ale style. I'm sipping on my second one as I write this review & the only problem I have is I don't have another in the fridge. Not only would I recommend this to a friend, I'd beg them to try it. Thoroughly impressed with this beer.

If you haven't tried this one out yet, I hope this review convinces you to try it...CHEERS

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i liked this beer alot

Another reason why this brewery kicks ass. Phenomenal.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company