A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,507 | Hads: 8,082
4.2/5  rDev 0%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #43 (Aug 2010):

Hoppy wheat is what the beer geeks are callin' for. This beer has a thick, wheat-induced head and clear, pale amber color. It has some sweet breadiness underneath a big tide of hop aroma. It's super smooth and easy to drink. It has a thick flavor of soft, floral and fruity hops, and the bitterness is there, but nothing too sharp--more like dried grass or tobacco. This beer has a bit of a snappy, dry malt character and is faintly yeasty with some warming esters. The hops stay on the palate far into the aftertaste. This one has it all figured out--an amazing ale. (625 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle, Bruery tulip, appears to have been bottled 12/7/10.

Looks gorgeous, but not really like any kind of a wheat beer at all and definitely like an IPA. Clear deep gold beer with a classic IPA head with a finger of retention, big packs of bubbles already clinging to the glass.

It sure smells like a West Coast IPA too. Pine and grapefruit pith abound with a sweet edge. I'm rating this mainly as an American IPA. Orange marmalade, yum.

Orange battles with grapefruit and pine says it's the boss. This is superb. Some wheat bread cowers behind all these hops. Bitterness is low to moderate; flavor is the game.

A more aggressive carbonation makes the hops explode all over the tongue, making them all the more alive, fruity, and irresistible.

I'm drinking this really quickly, as it's an amazing surprise, and there is not a trace of the alcohol. If you want a hop smack, this will do you as well as Stone IPA or even Blind Pig. (945 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz

Pours a clear pale golden with a thin foamy white head. Nose is dominated by grapefruit hops, citrus and flowery auroma. Good notes of caramel malts. Taste is a chewy, bready malt upfront, some woody/grassy characteristics too. Sharp bitterness towards the finish which is dry in the mouthfeel. Smooth and medium bodied. Easy drinker here, my only regret is not getting a six pack. (388 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

A- Poured into my lagunitas mason jar that was graciously given to me by the bartender at the lagunitas tap room. Huge, chunky, white head that leaves a ton of lacing on the way down.

S- Wheat, hints of apple, light fruit.

T- Lots of wheat, extremely bready with some bitter hops lingering on the back end.

M- Medium bodied with decent carbonation.

D- Definitely a nice wheat beer. I'd pick it up again if I saw it on tap somewhere. (436 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle (dated Nov 30) poured into a wheat beer glass

A: Gentle pour leads to a 1 finger 1 frothy head that slowly dissipates to a thin film that sticks around. Light golden yellow/orange, clear, lots of bubbles.

S: This is no wheat ale! I get a ton of citrus; mango, grapefruit, tangerine/orange, lemon zest. There seems to be a little pine/earthy hop aromas in the background. I sense a fair amount of sweetness.

T: Initial taste is all the citrus, then comes pine hops. There is a ton of caramel malt here, maybe a little sweet for my taste (similar to hop stoopid). Flavors seem to last forever and then finishes dry, bittersweet pine and a little citrus. Seems to be a little peppery. I get absolutely no wheat, if someone handed this to me unknowingly I'd swear it was a standard IPA.

M: Medium-high crisp carbonation, medium to full body, chewy, very smooth to the finish, finishes dry and bitter and the pine (and little citrus) lingers forever.

D: The only knock against this is I think it's just a bit too sweet, but besides that, I'm drinking this way faster than most brews. 7.5% ABV is virtually invisible.

They call this a wheat beer, I call this a damned good IPA. (1,192 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -0.2%

My first remote review. Live, from Timmy O'Tooles on Ontario and Fairbanks in Chicago.

APPEARANCE: The Little Sumpin' poured from the bottle a brilliant orange with no hint of residue. Gorgeous color. The head was a bit thin and disappated quickly. Decent lacing.

SMELL: Delightful. Grapefruit and pine, a very pleasing treat for the nose.

TASTE: Bitter, dry and tart with grapefruit flavor remaining with the senses as a very strong taste. Citrus notes round it out, but the aftertaste is still dominated by grapefruit.

MOUTHFEEL: Very thirst-quenching. Dry, sparkling and refreshing. Great mouthfeel.

OVERALL: Way too easy to drink for a 7.5%er. (653 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked up a 6pk at The Beer Store in Southampton, PA
Purchase price: $12.99/6pk
Served and enjoyed on New Year's Day 2011 in a DFH Signature Glass.

A - Golden, slightly opaque color. Nice, frothy one finger head that slowly dissipated to a thin white head. Good amount of bubbles rising from the etching on the bottom of the DFH Signature Glass.

S - Really nice smell of citrus, pine, hops and caramel. To me this smells like a nice IPA but I know the style is that of a wheat ale but regardless, it smells great.

T - Absolutely amazing! What a fantastic and tasty combination of citrus, hops, malty sweetness and a piney resin. The alcohol is well disguised behind all the flavors.

M - Good amount of carbonation. A slightly bitter, hoppy taste remains after each sip...again very reminiscent of an IPA.

D - I think I've found a beer that I would consider to be in my top 5 favorites. I really enjoyed the perfect combination of flavors. This is a heavier beer and the 7+ ABV might keep you from over indulging but I might try to session this...they're that tasty. I'm not a huge wheat beer fan but again, I cannot over emphasize how much this reminds me of an IPA but style name be damned...This is a great beer!

Overall: Highly recommended. I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Lagunitas beers that I've had up until now and this is my favorite of theirs so far. I will be purchasing again without a doubt.

Cheers! (1,441 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Golden, medium grade honey. A vigorous pour into a pint glass settled down into about a finger of creamy white head.

S - Bright grapefruit citrus up front with lemon and orange peel playing a supporting role. Backdrop of light pine.

T - Opens with smooth malt that ramps up quickly into fresh grapefruit and orange rind. Touch of green grass after the initial bitter that mellows into lighter woody / cedar notes. Delicious bready malt holds the profile together. Finishes with honey, grapefruit, and apricot.

Wonderfully well balanced; the flavors blend through each other to form a continuous and coherent whole.

Gets even better as it warms.

M - Super smooth profile with some nice beveled edges. Medium body with a round mouthfeel. Semi-bitter/sweet finish.

D - Almost no booze in the profile for the 7+% AB. Holds a great hop character that isn't clawing and doesn't leave a sharp bitterness or dryness in on your palate. The flavors are fantastic and the carbonation is restrained but refreshing. A fantastic American session beer. (1,049 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%

Hard to believe this is considered a Wheat Ale, a type I usually avoid. Fortunately I did not know before buying a 6-pack! I picked it because the label said IBU 74.2, and indeed, it is more like IPA than wheat beer. Better than regular Lagunitas IPA, not as good as their Maximus IPA. The label is kind of stupid, like St. Pauli Girl, so I turned the bottles around in our refrigerator so my wife couldn't see them. (416 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale has a yellow colour and a good head that lasts. It has a nice hoppy smell with a hint of citrus. The taste is hoppy with a hint of citrus bitterness. It's nice and foamy in the mouth and very drinakable. It's delicious. (246 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A: Hazy, golden yellow color with a two-finger head of fizzy, tight carbonation which settles to a creamy layer of lace inducing foam. Muddled clarity with yeasty bits and a chilled haze.

S: Big citrus hop notes in the nose as well as some funky wheat and spicy yeast aromas. Very fruity and floral.

T: Sweet, toasted malt and cereal grains up front with a quickly consuming flood of bitter, citrusy and spicy herbal hops. All other fruits flavors are subdued by orange and lemon zest, leaving a slick, spicy and bitter finish.

M: Full-bodied pale wheat with loads of bitter hops and a slightly chewy wheat malt palate.

D: Probably the most hopped out pale wheat I've ever had, and decidedly American west coast hop-forward, as expected of Lagunitas. The 7.5% ABV carries a nice warming sensation but isn't really translated in a lot of alcoholic heat in the flavor. Not to be pounded in the summer heat, rather reserved for the IPA fan who wants a wheat ale. (1,013 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -3.1%

A - This beer pours a bright golden apricot color. It has a nice fluffy white head, that left nice lacing on the glass as it fell. Some carbonation bubbles are present.

S - The smell is very nice. It has a nice clean hop presence. There are also nice fruit notes present like orange, tangerine, and pineapple. There is also a nice sweetness present.

T - Very nice taste. It has a very clean hop profile. There are a lot of tropical fruits present. I'm surprised this is a wheat beer, I never would have thought that. The taste is good, clean and refreshing. The finish is clean, slightly bitter, and has some citrus as well.

M - It has a nice medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy. it is very refreshing, and slightly dry.

D - The drinkability is good. I think this is a great summer beer. It is really refreshing, and the taste leaves you wanting more. I would have no problem drinking a 6-pack of this. (923 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottled # 33378714 (bottled on November 29th)

Purchased @ Johnsons Market Place, New Durham NH

Price - $10.99/6-pack

Appearance: Pours a hazey golden color with a 1" soapy white head. A steady stream of bubbles rise from the bottom which add to the visual experience. A decent amount of lacing stains the glass through the finish.

Smell: A noticeable grapefruit nose right up front followed by floral notes and a pine aroma. Quite pleasing.

Taste: Starts out sort of sweet and spicey messing with my head like some crazy dipping sauce my wife would buy. But in the end it finishes clean.

Mouthfeel: A perfect amount of carbonation. Hops tingle the tongue at first then follow through with some bitternes. Ends faintly dry. Tastebuds scream for more.

Drinkability: Starts out fairly lite and refreshing and finishes with some hop bitterness. I must say I didn't know what to expect with a hoppy wheat beer, but I like it. A pretty good beer overall and one I enjoy regularly. (985 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A: What I would call your typical "West Coast Golden" color. To be expected for the type of beer.

S: Definitely a citrusy aroma permeates through the head of this. Not overwhelming, but again, to be expected

T/M/D: This one set me back in my seat a little. A terrific explosion of hop flavor dominates. Candied grapfruit/tangerine/orange flavors. Wonderful. What really surprises me though is that the mouthfeel of this beer really has a nice chewyness to it. I've heard that Lagunitas uses the Fuller's yeast strain, and in my experience of using that strain in my own homebrewed IPAs, I'd say that's what really lends a hand here in the body of the beer. Overall there is still a great crispness to the beer that invites you to take another drink. This falls within my classification of dangerously drinkable beers. The 7.5% sure gives a whallop, but it's too late to do anything about it because all of a sudden you've pounded 3 of them down.

I'm really starting to get a lot of respect for this brewery, and am sorry that it's taken me this long to get around to trying this and some of their other terrific offerings. (1,125 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Here we have another interesting beer, a hoppy wheat, from a brewery whose name I have yet to learn how to pronounce. Is it Lah-gun-itas? Lah-goon-itas? Lagoon-eetas? However you pronounce their name, their beer is always well crafted. "Lag-you-nitas?

The "Little Sumpin" opens with a thick glob of a head atop a light golden body, within which rise a sporadic school of carbonation bubbles. Lay-gun-ee-tus? Upon raising your glass for the initial sip, the nose is immediately overwhelmed by a hearty aroma of grapefruit. This grapefruit theme continues on to the palate; however, there is perceptible malt finish here. As for the mouthfeel: it is moderately chewy without any identification to discern it to be a wheat ale - in fact, one could mistake it for an IPA, albeit one with a lighter body. Lagoon-it-is? (815 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Purchased a 6-pack of this beer from Shop 'N Save for $8.99. Poured beer into a Tulip glass and the rest is history.

Appearance- Blondish color, lacey head, and cloudy throughout

Smell- Very hoppy, has a hint of pine aroma with a peppermint background.

Taste- Tastes like a wheat beer mixed with some Belgian ale.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied beer, is anxiously awaiting on my palate for another drink to keep setting me up for Nothing...

Drinkability- May be easy to drink for some but others could only drink one of these and have to switch to something lighter/sweeter. I enjoyed 4 out of the 6-pack and let my girlfriend's Dad have the other two. (653 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Pale golden color reminiscent of a wheat beer, but more clear. Not lager clear, but far clearer than a average wheat beer. Very big head when poured that dissipates to a half a finger and pretty much remain through the glass. Laces nicely.

S: Citrus overtones with a pine smell. Kinda like my Grand Fir Christmas tree in my living room. Smells a bit hoppy when brought to your nose. (I gave the smell a 3.5 because I am not fond of hoppy smelling citrusy beer - some love it.)

T: Not hoppy like it smells. Perhaps the wheat counteracts the hoppy smell. I is not a traditional Belgian wheat style, but something different.

M: Smooth and not a stong carbonation although very fine bubbles continue throughout the glass.

D: I would say this is very drinkable. I will have no problem crushing the growler.

Paid $8.99 for a growler at the local beer store and as usual, any Lagunitas is a good call. Will drink this again - preferably in the summer. (952 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color and poured with a thin white head that quickly faded away, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface. There is a moderate amount of carbonation.
S: There are moderate aromas of citrus hops in the nose.
T: A mild to moderate amount of hop bitterness dominates the overall taste; the hops are well balanced by the underlying malts, which contribute a slight amount of sweetness in the finish. Like the smell, there are lots of citrus flavors.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation
D: The beer is very drinkable because the alcohol content is well hidden. (644 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Had on-tap at Apex in portland out of a standard pint glass. It is a transparent golden orange color with visible carbonation and a one finger white head. Smell is very hoppy, with floral and grapefruit notes. As far as smell goes it doesn't share many attributes with a standard wheat ale, it smells more like an APA or an IPA. The taste has a little more wheat in it, but the emphasis is still on the hops not the wheat. Mouthfeel is good, very crisp and refreshing. Overall this beer is similar to gumballhead, but i think I like gumballhead better. I am not sure how I feel about this being a "wheat beer" as there isn't a lot of wheat in the taste. If you want a wheat beer then go for an american knock off of a hefeweizen, but if you are looking for an APA or IPA that has a touch of wheat in it then this is what you are looking for. (841 characters)

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a slightly-hazed golden orange with a nice white head. Small bubbles work their way to the top all the way to the last swallow.
S: Smells very nice. Heaps of citrus hops with bit of fresh wheat.
T: Lots of spicy citrus hops and a little bit of pine or spruce character. The wheat seems to contribute a bit more to the mouthfeel.
M: Light and re-freshing. Sweet start, dry finish.
D: An absolutely fantastic beer, may be considered a summer beer but due to it's spicy nature it works for the winter also. Real beer lovers use hops as mistle toe anyway. (562 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

The first thing that grabbed my attention was the clean, floral, citrus smell. From the first whiff I knew this was going to be good. It smelled how a fresh IPA should smell with a little extra sweetness in the nose.

The color is a light amber with about a half inch head. Really nice lacing also.

The flavor was all I was hoping for and more! It has a smooth citrusy flavor with a nice hoppy bite. On the back end is a "Little Sumpin' Sumpin'" that I would describe as an orangey sweetness.

Delicious! (505 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -4%

From: Premier Wine & Spirits
Dated: NA

A: Clear orange body with two fingers of white fluffy head. Decent retention and great lacing.

S: Huge citrus notes, very pleasing. Some floral notes and wheat.

T: Pleasing citrus flavour with a little sourness. Also has a little spice to it.

M: Light bodied and medium high amount of carbonation. Mild bitterness, not much else to note.

D: Pleasing brew and def worth the buy. (425 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

I'd better review this appearance before any more of the beer disappears. I've only gone in for a few sips but already the glass looks half-empty (and I'm usually optimistic about that kind of thing but this is my last bottle!) Its body is clear, marked only by the odd bubble that passes by, but its deeper than normal gold colour seems to correspond to the higher alcohol content. Its head, meanwhile, manages to stay afloat.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is a lot of sumpin' great: Hops. Zestful, brilliant and unabashed American hops. This smell of tropical citrus, grassy herbals, floral distillate and resinous pine has become as definitively American as muscle cars, baseball or apple pie. And, like the latter, it is loud, long and has a deliciously enticing scent that is dam near irresistible.

I won't say the extra alcohol isn't noted - it's rather like a nasty scar across someone's forehead. But chicks dig scars. And men are intimidated by them. It doesn't serve so much as a turn-off as it does mark of curiosity, something that gives the impression of bad-assery, fearlessness and big, brassy balls. Like that guy with the scar you assume this beer is capable of kicking some serious ass, and you're happy to have it on your side.

Trust me: there's definitely nothing little about this Sumpin' Sumpin'. Unless it's called that because it has a little sumpin' of every possible hop-derived flavour: grapefruit rind, orange peel, lemon zest, pine serum and flower petals. Apart from a smidgen of sweet biscuit, there isn't much malt-based taste to balance it out, but who cares? Frankly, I'm happier with the crushing acidity and colourful fruitiness of the hops. And that spicy mintiness.

Some beers are flavourful enough to sip contemplatively over the course of an entire evening. Others are delicious enough to want to chug in one giant gulp. As Lagunitas says: "life is uncertain. Don't sip". Guys, trust me, you don't have to tell me twice; with a beer like this that's all too easy to do. Hell, this bottle's been done for a while now! (2,059 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- One-fingered white head on top of a mid-golden/light-amber bier. Steady stream of carb bubbles rising to the surface. Little lacing.

S- Smelled this beer immediately after prying the first half of the cap off. Citrus hops reminiscent of Sculpin if my past-beer adventure memory serves me correctly. Wonderful.

T- Sweet then bitter. More citrus and hops. Dash of spice and honey thrown in there.

M- Nearly flawless I'd have to say. Crisp carb bite.

D/O- Wow, for a 7.5%abv beer one could almost make this a 6 pack night, wrecked palate and all. Alcohol presence is virtually non-recognizable...damn tasty. Wow, didn't think I'd like anything in this style more than Gumballhead but alas..here it is. (705 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a very lightly cloudy, bright golden color with a nice head. Great retention. Smells amazing...aromas of apricots, tropical fruits, very juicy, citrusy hops, yeast, lemon, bubblegum, ...outstanding!

Taste is very hop-forward, more citrus hops, tropical notes, finishes with an aspirin like astringency. Very crisp and refreshing. You just want to keep going for more and more but have to calm yourself due to the 7.5% ABV. Phenomenal beer. (446 characters)

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company