A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,533 | Hads: 8,208
4.21/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Golden ale with a nice head of foam. Smells like a citrus pine forest. Crisp hoppy taste. Tastes like it should be served cold.

I'd like to do a head to head with a regular Lagunitas IPA.

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: Bright, pale yellow, pretty clean-looking. Moderate carbonation. A dense, foamy head that dissipates pretty quickly into thin clouds. Pretty thick lacing, though, that sticks pretty well.

S: First thing that came to me was citrus hops. Pine and floral hops mixed in with just a hint of breadiness, wheat. Pretty strong scent from the malts, too. The result was a nose that was very sweet and earthy.

T: Taste follows scent, but with the malts on equal footing with the hops. Citrus, pine, earthiness, brown sugar. Moderate hop bitterness. A little sweeter than I would like, but the balance is pretty good. Alcohol is very well masked.

M: Medium body and a little syrupy. A bit sticky, but there's no astringency, so that's a plus. Aftertaste lingers, mostly citrus hops and malt sweetness. Pretty smooth and creamy, but nothing outstanding.

O: Very drinkable and refreshing. It had been hyped up for me quite a bit and I wasn't disappointed, so it's a win for me. It's a little sticky-sweet, though. I'd rate a little higher if not for that, but I'll be sure to pick this up again. It's my first from Lagunitas, so I'll wanna give some of their other brews a try.

EDIT: Subsequent tastings have been less sticky-sweet. This one might have had to do with temperature or some other factor, but the malty sweetness probably isn't as heavy as I might have made it seem.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite IPAs. If you like grapefruit & citrus tastes in your beer, you'll probably like this one. It's my go-to beer during football season.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle ice cold at restaurant poured into a nonic pint glass.

A= Amber golden with a little bit of haze, nice thick foamy pure-white head that slowly settles, lacing clings all over the glass as I drink.

S= Smell has some grassy and toasty notes with citrus and caramel.

T= Nice amount of citrus and pine hop flavor with malt sweetness and earthy wheat background.

M= Lighter side of medium body with moderate carbonation.

O= Nice and crisp, has enough bitterness and hop backing to balance out sweetness from the malts. Great interpretation of a wheat beer.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look is rich deep and attractive golden amber, although a much lighter amber, still rich in color, smell is clean deep again and minerally, taste is rich, full complex and long, wheat is prominent with the hoppy feel throughout, i prefer this hop profile to most IPA's as it is consistent and subtle compared to most, a great beer for those trying to develop a hop feel. watch out potent and these sneak up, very smooth for a 7.5. feel is great, easy for the flavor and again complex. a solid beer for the fridge and will purchase frequently. overall a solid solid beer, solid enough to be very good!

3.82/5  rDev -9%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. The aroma is a sweet, thick caramel candy with background notes of wheat, and citrus (leaning more sugary marmalade). It pours clear and oily with a gold hue and a white, dense soap head that leaves a light, messy lace and has a moderate messy retention. The taste is a medium high sweet with a medium bitter supporting note. The texture is smooth and oily with a soft foam carbonation and a medium body. The flavor profile is primarily caramel with a bitter citrus and wheat touch. It finishes with a clove and bittersweet citrus zest that leaves a mostly clean and lightly astringent aftertaste with mellow remnants of clove and a mild citrus with a slight cloying caramel sugar and a late bread note.

4.98/5  rDev +18.6%

For the longest time I could only find IPA and PILS from Laguniats brewing. I listen to A Mediorcre Time With Tom & Dan podcast from Orlando FL and they always sing the praises of Daytime, Little Sumpin, and Sucks. I finally found "little sumpin" at a Whole Foods in Miami and I think it's my new favorite.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very good beer! Another quality offering from the consistent Lagunitas brewery. A very tasty, very smooth and very drinkable beer. Highly recommended!

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It pours golden and clear with a full white head. It has citrus aroma and spruce. It has citrus flavors with floral, every hoppy and a quality bitter tap on the palate.

3.99/5  rDev -5%

I didn't think I'd be a huge fan of this beer since I'm not generally a fan of hoppy brews. But this struck the perfect balance between the hoppiness of a pale ale and the wheat tones. Really great.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very drinkable delicious Wheat Pale ale, the light hoppy notes mix so well with the wheat flavors.

Very session-able and is always a go to for any sort of get together.

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Yellow gold color. Head dissipates quickly. Taste is where its at. Hoppy, piney and earthy. And of course wheaty. Get a apricot aroma. Slight caramel hints. Goes down smooth. Feel the carbonation. A great kick and great beer overall. Accordingly to brewer, it pairs well with Fettuccini Alfredo, Chicken Tikka Masala. i would also think fish and roasted veggies. :-)

4.41/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pale orange in color. 1/2 finger quickly dissipating head.

Aroma is of big lemony pine needles and a nice hop florelness.

Taste starts with a big burst of citrusy hops and pine. This is followed by a nice fizz of carbonation, then a malt sweetness in the middle of the mouth. The finish is a touch of wheat and moderate amount of hop bitterness.

Overall, this is a very good and easily accessible beer. It really isn't a wheat beer but more of a crisp American IPA. This would go very well with fried green tomatoes, pimento cheese, and a spicy remoulade sauce. It gets a 88/100.

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Draft into std pint glass.crystal clear pale gold color. Nice head with medium retention and nice sticky lacing. Beautiful citrus aroma. Delicious with nice malty balance for the forward hops. Minimal lingering bitterness. Really nice. I have had this in bottles many times and not enjoyed it as much as this (apparently fresh) draft.

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

liked this one top of the line ale the L' Sucks version slightly better with more flavor but if someone offers one of this I will drink unlike a lot of beers

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fanstastic. Forgot how it poured because I dived in so quick. Very smooth, bitter taste without the tingly tongue sensation. Hoppy but not overly so. Hint of pine. A nice bold consistency without being "thick". Lagunitas never ceases to please me and even though this is on the milder side of most of their brews its an A+.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured a bit hazy dark gold with 3 finger white head. Nice lacing. Nose was a bit piney w/ citrus. A little wheat but this is not a hefe. Feel is thicker and taste is very sweet with an IPA hop finish.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

I run the meat department in a semi ghetto grocery store and I pushed them for a year to get this beer. It sells great now and I am way vindicated on my opinion that we could move this . The only grocery store beer I would even consider except SN Torpedo.
Sumpin is the best grocery store beer in this area. Beats sam an sierra and all the locals.

The beer looks, smells ,tastes, and feels high quality. Normally I spend too much on the best thing available but if I don't really Sumpin is just as satisfying. It's my session beer I guess. Good stuff, Lagunitas rules.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours honey gold color with a full head and decent lacing. Piney smell with hints of bread. Taste is slight citrus and pine. Very little hint of wheat. Very refreshing summer beer.

Don't be mislead by the desc, "American Pale Wheat Ale". This does not taste or look like a typical "rancid" wheat beer. It is dark and heavy and mysteriously smokey. 8/4/15 from a variety six pack from State Line Liquors.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I usually am not a huge fan of wheat beers, but I guess the rep on this one is that its wheat is basically hard to detect. That's to my advantage, because I find this to be delicious. Their Sucks used to be my favorite, but I believe its taste and quality lost something along the way of transforming from a seasonal to a ridiculous shelf-sitting 32 ouncer and then a new year-rounder. I wish bottled-on dates were prominent on their beers. But in any event, this one, I believe, is the perfect substitute. Indeed, this tastes like a super IPA. I think some reasonably have a basis to object on this basis to its label classification of a pale wheat. Still, regardless of what it's called, I think this is a great tasting brew

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a hazy, dark gold color with one-finger white head that slowly dissipated until a thin, unbroken layer of bubbles remained, there is significant lacing on the glass, lighter carbonation.

SMELL: caramel, pepper, pine and bread.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet caramel then pepper, bread and a piney hop blast that really lingered, the 7.5% ABV is present but well disguised.

PALATE: medium body and lighter carbonation.

OVERALL: for an American Pale Wheat Ale this tasted a lot like a traditional IPA, whatever they want to call it is fine by me, this is a good beer and I would recommend to anyone who enjoys the IPA style, if you are expecting a traditional wheat beer you may be disappointed. I would buy this again no problem.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Overall, I just liked this beer and that's about it. I got hints of northern pine forest and exotic orange peel from the most remote parts of the Amazon rain forest. No harshness, went down smooth. Lacing was like that of a June bride...I will definitely drink again.

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

I've heard so much about this ale, I'm finally glad I found it.

A : Honey yellow wheat color. The head is large and in charge. Webby, thick, dense, and white for miles. Leaves lacing upon lacing as it recedes. It stands at 3 fingers.

S : Holy pine. Lots of fresh pine. Pine cone. Sharp spiced aroma. If you really like good pine aroma in your beer, that isn't skunky or artificial - just natural and tons of clarity, this is it right here. Nice nose!

T : Seems to have all of the characteristics of a pale ale but several dense layers can be sampled and peeled back. First, there's the pale wheat and yeast, pricked with pine and hop. It mellows out some and morphs into a fruity finish. It seems to happen in steps and all at once at the same time. A sharp snap of fruit and pine on the last breath. For sure a dense taste profile full of character.

M : Creamy and full of explosive carbonation. Ends semi-dry and a bit dusty.

O : Impressive, I'd have it again, but it's probably not going to be a staple in my fridge as IPA's aren't generally my thing.

2.7/5  rDev -35.7%

Is it just me, or do all Lagunitas taste pretty much the same? Like drinking a Xmas tree. This one was supposed to have some wheat in it....you'd never know by the taste. Not bitter, but very hoppy. Not worth the coin...unless you enjoy drinking pine flavored beer. I'm done with Lagunitas.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company