A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,899 | Reviews: 1,566
4.72/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Malty and appropriately hoppy. This is a real experience.

3.46/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice hop presence, nice mouthfeel, but there was an unexpected, and in my opinion unnecessary, sweetness to this beer that I found distracting. It didn't seem to play well with the good things going on in this brew, and it knocked the whole thing out of balance for me.

A really really great beer!

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A straw yellow color, slightly hazy with a thin lace head. Beautiful balanced hop aroma, almost IPA-like. Taste is well balanced too, not too much hop bite, just enough to make it and interesting blend with the wheat malt. I could almost think of this as a session beer if it weren't 7.5%.

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

AT&T Park - San Francisco, CA - draft at Giants vs. Dodgers game

4.56/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious, drinkable beer. Will drink again.

4.66/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fabulous beer. Hazy yellow-orange, great head, fine citrusy hoppiness without being overpowering, substantial but not too heavy, refreshing and complex. Nothing like it.

2.78/5  rDev -34%

Mehhh not a hop head sooo ya, this beer poured great looked and smelled beautiful. Give me a beer I can sit and easily drink over this one. However it was fun to try. If it's your thing cool.

3.42/5  rDev -18.8%

Well, at least it's sweeter than their IPA...

Really, whose idea was it to not only FILTER a wheat beer, but also dump a handful of hops into it?

It's a good beer. But it's an AWFUL representation of the style (and I bought it expecting a witbier/hefeweizen!). Drink this only if you really like Lagunitas in general, because you only get a touch of sweetness from the wheat.

I'll buy this again when I want a slightly milder IPA from their other offerings. They do make a good brew if you like bitterness.

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'll quote 'mkh012' who says it better than I could. "The smell of this beer is a hop citrus bomb. It really is one of the [best]-smelling beers I've ever sampled; really sharp and floral. Luckily, the taste follows the nose almost exactly. This beer opens with intense citrus hoppiness but finishes smoothly. (...) Combines the awesome citrus aspects of a good wheat beer with the floral hoppiness of an IPA".
Definitely an IPA -- be it an American "Wit" IPA. To me, only the seasonal "Little Sumpin' WILD" is closer to perfection.

4.51/5  rDev +7.1%

As a disclaimer, I'm not a huge fan of hoppy beers. I'm open to IPAs, but I generally dislike the almost soapy aftertaste that some of the more bitter ones have. As soon as I smelled this beer, though, I could tell Lagunitas was doing it right. The smell of this beer is a hop citrus bomb. It really is one of the better smelling beers I've ever sampled-- really sharp and floral. Luckily, the taste follows the nose almost exactly. This beer opens with intense citrus hoppiness but finishes smoothly. The perfect use of 60+ IBUs. Combines the awesome citrus aspects of a good wheat beer with the floral hoppiness of an IPA.

3.58/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy, pale gold with a creamy white head.
The aroma is slight citrus and toffee.
Taste is orange pitch bitter with a semi-sweet followup and a bitter, dry finish. Perhaps a slight Belgian-like funkiness as well.
Mouthfeel is medium and dry.
Overall, good but not great. A bit underwhelming.

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Another good brew for the upcoming hot summer!

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

beer's great. really hoppy like IPA but with an added complexity still very balanced slightly dry spicy yet tropical juicy. awesome stuff

3.49/5  rDev -17.1%

Drank it out of a solo bottle, poured into a British pub pint glass to (minimally) aid in Picking up extra scent.

A: Golden Color, fully carbonated. Bubbling the entire lifespan of the glass.
S: Floral, not getting the wheat at all. Not what i expected from this beer, but the best part.
T: Meh, for a beer that i've heard great things about, the malt was overpowering the hops. Not what i would have thought coming from a west coast company selling the west coast style, but my bottle could have been a bit old. There's a hint of the pine on the back end but still getting malt on the fore and aftertaste.
M: It is pretty crisp, not stale for sure. Carbonation keeps going.
O: Not horrible, not the best. I really wanted to give this one super high marks but for a style that was supposed to be a fresh take on an IPA/American PA, i'm pretty underwhelmed here.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Recommended to me by a friend so I didn't know what to expect since I love almost all styles of beer so this was a grab and go. If I was blindfolded I would have said it's a straight up IPA as I cannot detect the wheat. Very hoppy with a nice finish. Grapefruit with a tinge of blood orange. Smells like an IPA. Overall an amazing beer.

This is my "benchmark" of all
IPA beers.
I measure all IPAs against this beer.
This is an Excellent beer.

3.99/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Poured a hazy golden orange color with a foamy white head.
Smells floral and hoppy. Slight biscuit aroma.
Nice malty flavor with a hoppy finish. Easy drinking and damn tasty.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

This is an amazing beer that I wish I had more than one.

4.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Clear golden straw color with large soapy head that hangs around, good lacing

S: Smell is pretty strong, floral hops dominate, little bit of pine in there

T: The hops are really aggressive on the front end, floral and pine, wheat malts at the end to balance, really nice taste to it

M: Medium, good carbonation

O: This is a really good beer. It is strong in all the measurables. Really enjoy it and I will not hesitate to try this again especially if I can find it on tap somewhere.

4.17/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A fruity smell and nice feel and nice balanced flavor

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Someone must have dropped a spliff in my bottle at Lagunitas. The aroma and also the taste have an astonishing weed component to it. Loving the way this beer is hoppy, smooth and not overly bitter.

3.83/5  rDev -9%

Was pleasantly surprised with this beer. Went down very smooth and tasted stronger than the normal pale wheat ale beer.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Couldn't really judge look as I drank straight from the bottle. But my oh my, the taste was amazing!!!

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Love this beer, wish they would date the bottles. I don't care if its not really an IPA, its an IPA to me.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company