A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,483 | Hads: 7,985
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Yellow/golden color. Brighter than I originally expected.

Aroma: The aroma is my favorite part. A lot of citrus, especially grapefruit and orange. Honestly, I think I might like the aroma better than the taste.

Taste: More bitter than I expected, but in a good way... it is a good compliment to the rich citrus flavors. They didn't go over the top with the carbonation, which I liked a lot. Just a very smooth, slightly bitter taste that makes it easy to drink. I like the crispness of the after taste, which is rare with hoppy beers.

Overall: One of my favorite American Pale Wheat Ales to date. You've got to like the slight bitterness and the mix of citrus to enjoy this one. Very drinkable beer, perfect any time. Also, I should note that it tends to be more fragrant and taste better as it gets closer to room temperature. (844 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Single bottle (no date) poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, but bright golden-orange color with a 1/4" dense off-white head. Strands, walls, and islands of lacing on the glass. Plenty of bubbles coming up through the beer. A very nice looking beer.

Smell: This is a very hoppy beer - very strong in grapefruit and mango smells, with some pine thrown in for good measure. Very appealing.

Taste: A perfect blend of citrus forward hops, a solid malt middle, and then a pine-like bitter hop finish. I'm not getting any wheat here but this is a well-done beer for something so hoppy.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is fleeting on the tongue (it's there and then is gone) followed by a good thickness to the beer that lingers but not too long. There is a coating on the tongue and teeth afterwards (probably all that hop oil) but I'm not complaining. Nice.

Drinkability: I noted the higher ABV fairly quickly with this one, but that's because it was so good that I drank it fairly quickly. That being said, this one is dangerous - I want another one but I know I shouldn't it. It's a great beer - went fantastic with a meal (mustard pork-chops and potato gnocchi) and I think it would be good alone also. I can see why so many people have rated this beer highly - it is a very very good beer. (1,319 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Ok, wow. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a beutiful golden color w/ nice white fluffy head and sticky lacing. This is definitely one of the best smelling beers I've ever come across. Super hoppy w/ tropical fruits bursting, specifically pineapple. The taste is just as good, but more subtle. I personally am not getting alot of wheat. Mouthfeel is very juicy. Drinkability is good, so be careful at 7.5%, the alcohol is well hidden.

Damn, I feel like I'm drinking an IPA, super hoppy! This is great for the summer, too bad it's not year-round. Lagunitas really really comes though with this one. Recommended to anybody. (641 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Haven't had a whole lot of experience with this style in the past, but I like most of what I've had from Lagunitas in the past and the price is always right. Poured into a pint glass.

A- A well-carbonated, pale yellow. Good lacing, a one finger head. Very good head retention. I like the way it looks.

S- Wow. As soon as I popped the bottle I knew the nose on this one would be incredible. Tropical fruits abound. A bit of floral hops.

T- Not quite as tropical as the nose, but certainly quite hoppy in just the way I like. Sweet, light malts. The wheat is slightly noticeable on the latter portion of the taste without overpowering the hop flavors. They work well together. A tiny hint of alcohol at the end, but not too hot for the ABV. Slightly lingering hoppy aftertaste.

M- Well-carbonated, light-bodied.

O- Extremely drinkable and certainly one of the best offerings I've sampled from Lagunitas. I'm usually not super crazy about wheat beers, but I will definitely buy this one again. Very enjoyable and definitely makes me want to try more highly regarded APWAs. (1,076 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Clean golden with orange hues. One finger white head sticks around for the whole beer. Nice sticky lacing.
S: Nice citrus hop experience up front. Come orange peel, pineapple and topical fruits.
T: Gumballhead instantly comes to mind. Nice hoppy wheat ale. Tastes a lot like it smell citrus, tropical fruits. I don't get a whole lot of wheat character.
M: Medium mouth feel, nice lingering bitterness.
D: This is very drinkable. Nice summer brew refreshing and smooth bitterness. The high 7.5 ABV is very well hidden but catches up with you after a six pack.

Outstanding very hoppy American Pale Wheat. I loved gumballhead but it isn't available in MI. This is just even better. Outstanding! (696 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a slightly hazy straw color with a finger of thick white head that retains and laces well. The aroma starts with spicy, herbal and piney hops, with a hint of caramel. The taste starts with notes of wheat and bready malt and finishes clean with spicy herbal hops. The mouthfeel is nicely carbonated with no lingering harsh flavors. Overall a great beer. (368 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- pours a transparent amber/golden color with a solid white head. medium lacing.

S- just like some cascade/ centennial hops with the lightest sweet malt.

T- just how it smells. the alcohol is very well hidden. damn good brew.

M- medium bodied. good carbonation.

D- doing shots and still knockin a 6 pack back!!

Overall- to me this brew is better than the little sumpin extra pale ale. i did a couple shots from hard luck candy ( MADE IN MI!!!) root beer barrel vodka and still managed to knock down 5 out of the 6 pack. i will prolly do one more shot and finish the 6. even tho i'm hammered i will say this is prolly lagunitas best brew. but i still haven't had the maximus ipa. (686 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6%

Pours a light amber with an off white head. The smell is full of hops with a grapefruit scent being the strongest. The beer itself has many layers to the flavors. Grapefruit and pine notes from the hops mingle well with sweet fruit and spice from the malt. The flavor was well balanced and quite tasty. A favorite for sure. (323 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6%

An oddly deceiving beer. Seemed a lot bigger when compared to others of the same style.

Appearance: Light orange, very clear. Moderate foam head that dissipates rather quickly but sticks to the class while drinking.

Aroma: Hops are very present. Amarillo floral qualities seem to stick out the most.

Taste: Very hard to describe and it evolves from your first to last drink. Hops are the star here, but it is balanced by a tangy, almost sour orange taste. It lays on the tongue and asks for another drink. Great addictive balance here.

Mouthfeel: At once crisp and big. After a few drinks, you almost taste this beer on the roof of your mouth as much as your tongue. This beer comes off light when it goes in, but swallows like the higher ABV beer that it is.

Drinkability: At 7.5, it is all dangerously gulpable. You'll want to keep drinking it, but pacing yourself is necessary with a beer this nuanced.

Overall: This has become one of my favorites and am sad that it is a limited release from a brewery, Lagunitas, that is fast becoming one of my favorites. You can't call this beer an outright hop-bomb. You can't call it a pure wheat ale as it is too hoppy. The tang is what gets me. With the hops and big body, this is a memorable beer. (1,248 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

I love that this beer is year-round. Simple 6-pack, into a tulip.

A - pale yellow/orange. The head is 1-2 fingers and fades in a medium amount of time. The lacing is abundant and majestic. A nice fluffy puff of head remains on the surface.

S - sunshine and amazing. A little breadiness at the beginning that yields quickly to the glorious citrus hops. I don't smell booze at all, and there's nothing balanced here. It's grapefruit and citrus hops all the way, and it smells amazing.

T - there's a hint of smeet maltiness at the beginning and at the end but just like the nose, the citrus hops dominate. I have no complaints.

M - thicker and chewier than you would expect. Sticks around for a bit. The carbonation is dead-on. The bite sticks around for just a bit longer than I would prefer.

O - I wish all wheat beers tasted like this. This is far closer to an APA or even an IPA. My ratings are biased by my preference. If I rated on style, it'd be lower, but that would be a disservice to the beer. This beer is insanely good, and you owe it to yourself, if you're on this site, to get it if it's available. One of my top 10, across all styles. (1,152 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Firstly im stoked to be able drink this big cheers to Adam to making it happen,it pours a nice vibrant orange hue with beautiful carbonation that leaves a one finger head of smog across the top and average lacing,the smell is distinctly pine needle hops,bubblegum and sweet golden wheat,it has a nice medium bodied lively carbonated mouthfeel which feels really refreshing and has tastes of orange zest,piney hops and finishes with a lemon,lime golden wheat hit which is quite dry and makes you want another sip straight away,overall i cannot really say anything bad about this brew apart from the fact its not a regular on our shores and i cant wait to try the rest of their lineup ive got waiting. (699 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden with a white head.

S: Mango, pineapple and pine in the nose.

T: Very drinkable, nice blend of wheat, malt, mango, pineapple and general tropical fruit flavors.

M: Light bodied, fairly smooth.

O: Definitely worth a try. Fruit is definitely one of the things I look for in wheat pale ales, and this delivers. My favorite Lagunitas beer. (348 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium globe glass. Comes in at 7.3% and 64.2 IBUs.

A-Pours a very clear amber that has a nice glow to it. Has a 1.5 finger off white head that rests fairly quickly as a nice foamy layer. Leaves a ton of lace.

S-Nothing like a wheat. This guy is all piney hops and it smells incredibly fresh.

T-Like the nose, the piney taste hits fast and is quite good. There is a tiny wheat/grainy aftertaste, but this one tastes like an IPA. Bitterness is kept in check.

M-Medium bodied and very smooth. Nicely carbonated.

D-Incredibly drinkable. The 7.3% abv is extremely well hidden.

This was just released and you could tell how fresh this beer tasted. I would consider this an IPA based on look, smell, and taste. I have just discovered my new summer of 2009 beer. (796 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Taco Mac Metropolis.

Hazy/golden in appearance with a nice white head. Smell is honey, citrus, hops, and more hops. Taste is incredible - hoppy and fruity, yet smooth and delicious. Nice lacing down the glass, the smell of yeast and honey increases as you go. The alcohol is present, but well hidden considering the 7+ ABV. Drinkability is almost too good; this one will catch up with you if you're not careful.

This quickly became one of my go-to beers for the summer. Upon my last haul, I was sad to see it had disappeared off the shelves at all the stores around town. (583 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice gold color. Two finger white head that dissipated fairly quickly. Left a single thin ring that left a little lacing here and there.

Smell: Grapefruit-dominant citrus that brings Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA to mind.

Taste: Piney and citrus hop awesomeness. Hard time placing malts, but they are less prominent. "straw-like" from another review is a good description.

Mouthfeel: Typical of an IPA. Refreshing amount of carbonation.

Love this delicious and very drinkable ale. They can call it whatever they want, but I'm calling it an IPA. Would love to see them make this a year-rounder. (611 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

So yummy. Very refreshing and crisp with tons of hop smell and taste, but still as drinkable as a regular pale ale. I think the half wheat malt gives it a great refreshing mouthfeel as well. Just love the taste of this beer. I love SN's Pale Ale as a go to for a drinkable beer with food or something on a hot day, but when I want that with more hop and richer flavors I go for the little sumpin sumpins. (404 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Looks a little light and adjuncty from first impressions; goldish yellow with a pure, white fizzy head. Nice lacing for the duration of consumption though.

S: Big blast of citrus hops and crackers with honey malt. Clean smell is surprisingly deep and complex for a beer of this style. I get lots of floral notes and a fresh baked bread note in there.

T: Pure excitement on the tongue. First comes a wave of citrus & floral hops, followed by a refreshing wheaty, lemony taste. The middle is pure cracker malt and sourdough bread. Finishes like a bouquet of all things mixed together, leaving not a trace of anything bitter behind.

D: Although this is not a style that I frequent, this is definitely the best of its kind that I've had.

Value: You sure get what you pay for with these Lagunitas beers. (855 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

LOOK: Poured into 25oz mug down side finishing with center pour. Left a significant head, perhaps I was a bit aggressive on the pour. Head was very white & frothy, leaving significant lacing as it slowly dissipated. Very light, clean & clear body, slightly orange/yellow hue. Looked extremely light & refreshing, just what I was in the mood for.

SMELL: HOPS!!!, Amazingly strong yet complex aroma. The smell seemed to combine lots of hops characteristics with citrus, pine & a fruity sweetness lingering. Don't have to stick your nose in to get an idea of what this ale is about.

TASTE: It pretty much taste like it smells. Heavy hops flavors with a nice citrus sharpness to it. Neat blend of slightly tangy/sweet fruitiness going on with a blend of malt & alcohol flavors holding it all together giving it a nice finish. I'm a bit surprised that the alcohol flavor wasn't more prevalent. I REALLY like the complexity of this ale.

FEEL: It had a bit heavier body than I anticipated based on the look. That being said, it was smooth & refreshing, making me want for more. This is an extremely drinkable ale.

OVERALL: I think this is probably one of the best beers I've ever had. I may have found a new "go-to" beer, definitely in the ale style. I'm sipping on my second one as I write this review & the only problem I have is I don't have another in the fridge. Not only would I recommend this to a friend, I'd beg them to try it. Thoroughly impressed with this beer.

If you haven't tried this one out yet, I hope this review convinces you to try it...CHEERS (1,564 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Beer is a gauzy golden amber with a light head. Aroma is of citrus hops, tangerine, bread. Taste start off with a modest malt taste and ends with a lingering hop hit of grapefruit rind. Very crisp and refreshing. Mouthfeel is very good. It is nicely carbonated and easy to drink. Overall a very well balanced, citrus-ey pale ale. Drinkable and delicious. (354 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a sam adams custom glass, color is straw to copper, head is light tan nice and dense, not much lacing but good looking brew.

Smell is floral, grapefruit, zest and lemony, hint of pine, malt is subdued but definitely a fresh smelling brew.

Taste is very well balanced with wheat and pale malts providing backbone, but the hops come through so strongly in a great tasting way, fresh, floral, fruity in terms of grapefruit/lemon.

Mouthfeel is more on the bitter side, as expected, maybe distracts from the wheat presence, but still very good.

Overall, a very nicely done, slightly unique brew - I need to add more wheat to my homebrewed IPAs. (655 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A straw yellow color, slightly hazy with a thin lace head. Beautiful balanced hop aroma, almost IPA-like. Taste is well balanced too, not too much hop bite, just enough to make it and interesting blend with the wheat malt. I could almost think of this as a session beer if it weren't 7.5%. (289 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle, bottled the beginning of april, consumed the middle of may.

light honey amber color with a big fluffy head. smell is tangy tropical fruit, pine, lemon-lime. taste is light and wheaty, with a big hop punch at the end. feel is medium and not astringent.

a very hoppy and malty wheat beer. another great lagunitas beer. (331 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It pours bright: a clean, pale ochre. A subtle presence on the palette. I’ve been consuming this beer with pleasure long before I decided to pen its impressions, so it is fun to reflect upon tasting it tonight. A robust wheaty-ness, with a hint of a clover/pine hoppy-sharpness, a rounding dryness to finish.

Lagunitas is a favorite, so I am slightly biased. The complexity of this brew renders it a favorite! (413 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle > Pint Glass
A - Pours a really nice yellow, just over a finger head thats thick with some nice lacing.
S - Honey, piney hops, some pineapple and wheat, just a little touch of light caramel malt.
T - Wow, this is not what I was expecting by any means, big time hop flavor with the smoothness of some honey, fresh pineapple and mango flavor, and a minor hint of wheat.
M - Refreshing and well carbonated, good bitterness and sweet fruit on your palate.
O - Shocked by this, not a traditional wheat beer by any means, drinks more like a great APA, or IPA, lots of delicious fruity hop flavor thats refreshing and smooth. Lagunitas still tops my favorite breweries. (672 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Hazy brass colored pour with a slight head that leaves little to no lace. The brassy hued brew is only mildly carbonated. Great hopa nd malt balance. Really nice hop finish behind a sweet malt overtone. The piney hops don't overpower the malt sweetness but rather compliment the malt profiles. Very tastey and drinkable beer. (325 characters)

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company