A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,534 | Hads: 8,213
3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

This beer pours a clear yellow with a thin head and lacing. The aroma is grapefruit and lemons with some wheat malt in the background. The flavor is mainly grapefruit with a mild hop bitterness that is nicely offset by the wheat malt. The mouthfeel is light-medium. Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale is a good brew. Recommended.

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

12oz bottle into standard pint glass.

A - crystal clear, light yellow color. Minimal head with no lacing, but typical for the style.

S - Very mild, but typical. Slight wheatie aroma but very faint.

T - Malty and sugary up front. Clean finish. Wheat comes through but still mild. Not alot of character and the booze is present but not as much as would be expected from the high ABV paired with this style of beer.

M - booze lingers slightly. creamy yet clean finishing. Leaves you wondering what you just drank but knowing it has some alcohol in it regardless.

O - Once again, not a style I would seek out alot. But, for what it is, Lagunitas has managed to make something drinkable. The high ABV is enjoyable though for many it might make this UNattractive as an option. Just can't bring myself to "want" any beers of this nature. Not bad I suppose but not something I would seek out.

3.21/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz bottle pours a mostly clear, light gold color with a thick and creamy cap of white-ish foam. Retention is good, as is the lacing. A pretty beer, no doubt.

Nose is citrus, onion and pine hoppiness with maybe a hint of snappy wheat. Really though, this is a hop forward beer and it shows in the aroma. Unfortunately similar to many other Lagunitas offerings and does nothing new to differentiate itself from the pack.

Resinously hoppy grapefruit juice with a light wheaty malt background...what a surprise. While it is a good beer, I am becoming increasingly bored with hoppy Lagunitas offerings that seem like the same shit over and over again. Where is the originality? Innovation? I just dont see it from a brewery I still admire for doing great beers, but damn, change it up a little, please?!

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

A - pours a light blonde with a huge rocky head and creamy lacing clings to the glass.

S - Overwhelming amounts of hops. I thought this was a wheat ale? Very citrusy.

T - The hops are bombastic lots of citrus. At the end almost as an afterthought is the wheat finish.

M - Oily slickness from the hops up front then a drying effect from the wheat. I dont think they pair well at all.

D - It's ok. The amount of hops with the wheat strikes my palate odd.

3.28/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Intense citrus , floral and hop smell, but tastewise this beer tries too hard to be something it is not with an overly intense IPA approach. Will not buy again.

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured a yellow-amber with a pale head that soon disappeared

Smell and taste of a light pale ale (citrus and spice with a bitter finish), nothing to indicate being a wheat. Good but not memorable; lacks real complexity to savor to make for an overall good rating, and I particularly need this to justify an ABV over 7.

3.32/5  rDev -21%

Pours a crystal clear straw color. Decent white head, dissipates quickly.

Smell is barely there, a little sweet and malty. I'm thinking this is an older bottle.

Taste is malty sweet. A little grassy, not much there at all.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, just not sure if this is fresh or not. I'll have to pick some up again to be sure.

3.32/5  rDev -21%

12oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams pint

A: Pours a golden yellow with a 1finger off white head. Little head retention, plenty of lacing.

S: Smells of hops, pine, resin and some spice.

T: Pretty much on the nose. Hops up front, some pine and resin and mild spice.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: I'm confused. I bought this thinking it was a "Pale American Wheat Ale". I have no idea how this is any sort of wheat ale, as it smells and tastes like a standard IPA. I even double checked the bottle after poring it to to make sure I bought what I thought I did. Also, I get no wheat at all.

Any any rate, I docked it 1/2point for the fact it's more of an IPA than any sort of Pale Wheat Ale. Still a great brew, just not at all what it claims to be.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

A: Golden color with a pretty nice white head with good retention.

S: Lots of pine, grapefruit and some pale malts.

T: I don't know what it is about Lagunitas beers, but not one of them has really impressed me so far. Maybe at this point, it's becoming a mental thing. This one just didn't do it for me, though. It had a strong pine hop flavor and some floral hops thrown in as well. A dash of bready malts and then a ton of hop resin that gave it a really harsh bitterness. The balance felt way off and I probably wouldn't want to try this one again.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours medium gold with a big white foamy head. Good clarity, no bubbles, light lace.

Enormous grapefruit aroma. Smells delicious, but where is the wheat and the the rest?

I am drowning in hops. While these are quite flavorful, there is virtually nothing else. You get some malt but it's punched back by the hops. A wheat IPA? Light malt in the very finish. Not enough. Alcohol is well hidden.

Medium body, needs a bit more carbonation.

Blind -- it is drinkable. Good hoppy brew, but where the hell is everything else? Overdone. Likable, but over hopped. Still, worth trying, but I doubt I could do more than 2 without getting a little bored.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

I'd like to know what happened, I've had this before and it tasted like an IPA. This clearly is not an IPA. I checked the lagu website it's a wheat ale with hops added. What was I drinking before.

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Interesting beer. I picked it up simply because I liked the label. I had no idea what sort of beer it was but the label was attractive. After opening and pouring it into a glass it was apparent that it was a wheat beer which generally I'm not a huge fan of, but the color wasn't off putting and the aroma was pleasant. Nice citrus and wheat notes. I thought it had a slightly floral smell which was at first I wasn't too sure of, but it grew on me. I took my time drinking it and found overall it to be very satisfying and clean. Nothing unpleasant about the beer's head or the consistency in the glass. A great beer for being outside in the warm weather. I wouldn't say I loved it, but could surely see myself drinking it again. I think its the kind of beer that the more you drink of it the more you can enjoy it.

3.4/5  rDev -19%

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a semi hazy orangeish-yellow and had (due to a bad pour by me) about 2 inches of slightly off-white head that dissipated at a moderate pace and left more than average lacing.

A crisp hop aroma hits the nose without any of the wheat components noticeable. Citrus hops are the dominant flavor, so much so that I'm not finding anything else.

The body is in the middle of the road, neither thin nor full. This beer is nicely drinkable, although I suspect I would get bored after a couple.

Overall I find this to be a nice beer that I'm not sure where it fits in the big picture. Perhaps a different yeast to add some more flavors? Worth seeking out.

3.41/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottled last week of September, 2011

A: Near excellent clarity of apricot ale. Transient finger of white foam falls to a sheet of the same. Spotty lace.
S: Grassy, with some caramel and pine hops.
T: Malty with a good punch of bitterness and some nice yeast flavor that is floral in character. I dig.
M: Medium bodied with hi carb and dry finish.
O: Good beer. I'm finding myself more and more satisfied with Lagunitas lately, my interest was peaked by their Old Dogtown Pale Ale, good shit.

3.41/5  rDev -18.8%

62 IBU's and 7.5% alcohol. I guess you expect that from a super sweet and hoppy beer. It's very fragrant (citrus, floral) with a pale, slightly copper color. The head doesn't last long at all. Don't even bother with a swirl or high pour. All you'll get is a flatter beer rather than a nice foam. It's powereful sweet side works well to cut through spicy food.

Poured from the bottle.

Clear and golden-yellow in colour. Heavy citrus-hop nose. Light, refreshing citrus-hop flavour that lingers slightly. It was pretty light and easily drinkable. This is a good session-beer.

Would I buy it again? Yes.

3.42/5  rDev -18.6%

Well, at least it's sweeter than their IPA...

Really, whose idea was it to not only FILTER a wheat beer, but also dump a handful of hops into it?

It's a good beer. But it's an AWFUL representation of the style (and I bought it expecting a witbier/hefeweizen!). Drink this only if you really like Lagunitas in general, because you only get a touch of sweetness from the wheat.

I'll buy this again when I want a slightly milder IPA from their other offerings. They do make a good brew if you like bitterness.

3.42/5  rDev -18.6%

I've had a lot of hype when it came to this beer which adds a unique spice to an IPA but one that I am not to find of.
First opening this beer, I was impressed by its smell and moved quickly to get a taste in. The beer first hit as a great bitter to a kind of spicy ting at the end. It provided me with interest at first taste but for some reason after the first taste I lacked the full first experience and was dismayed. Waited a little bit and tried it again and it provided a decent taste. I'm not a fan of this beer but I can see the uniqueness of spicy ting that some may appreciate.

3.42/5  rDev -18.6%

Purchased at my local Party Liquors (Tampa, FL). $10.49 for the 6-pack.
A- Pour is surprisingly light and yellowy. Looks like a light beer, not a bad thing, just surprising. Creamy white head pleasantly pillows the top.
A- It's got a fruity smell I can't quite place… ah, I got it: pomelo! It's a fruit that tastes like a sweet, mild grapefruit. Also has notes of barely.
F- Fruity upfront, bitter, piney, malty finish. Not as light and crisp as I would've liked.
M- Below average carbonation (for an APA).
O- Tastes like a under-carbonated IPA. Definitely a great (albeit, strong) APA for the ABV, but I'm definitely in favor of the more traditional IPAs (like Bell's Two Hearted) in terms of flavor and mouthfeel. This beer honestly gave me a half-chub on the smell, making me expect a hoppy/citrusy IPA, but then it fell flat when it came to taste. I can definitely see how some people like this beer, but it just ain't for me.

3.42/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a nice copper color. Smells great, you get a nice peach aroma that goes along with pine. Some sugar in the aroma as well, and it has some malt. The taste starts off with that pine/citrus. It finishes with a chalk like texture, just slightly. Overall, I heard good things about this beer, but it just didn't do it for me. I thought the aroma was the best part of this beer. I wouldn't turn one down, it has it's good qualities, but I wouldn't buy anymore anytime soon.

3.44/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into pint glass from bottle. Straw colore with fairly solid head that dissipates quickly, leaving good lacing.

Great nose with nice fruity hop aroma. Tastes a bit sweet for the style, which affects the drinkability.

Another great offering from Lagunitas. As stated, abit too sweet but a nice hoppy wheat ale.

3.46/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice hop presence, nice mouthfeel, but there was an unexpected, and in my opinion unnecessary, sweetness to this beer that I found distracting. It didn't seem to play well with the good things going on in this brew, and it knocked the whole thing out of balance for me.

3.47/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Purchased a 6 pack for $10.50 from a great big beer store in my area. Served in a hill farmstead stem at 45 deg F.
A: Crystal clear, golden amber toned with a small 2cm head from a moderately aggressive pour which dissipates to form a ring and a tiny island of single layer Co2 bubbles. Champagne bubbles arising from the bottom. This beer chokes up a good sized head when agitated and it appears to be white with a yellow tinge.

A: Lemon, yeast, bread, wheat.

T: thick sliced bread, yeasty with a hint of citrus fruit, malt present in the background. The taste of stale bread lingers on minutes after sipping.

M: clean, crisp, lightly carbonated. This beer is light and goes down easy.

O: the wheat really shines through on this one, and im not getting the hop profile I would expect from a beer going neck and neck with gumball head. I think I prefer this beer out of the bottle because I get less wheat taste from it. I will drink it again because there are 5 left from the 6-pack. I would like to try this beer fresh from the brewery to get a better idea of where they were trying to take the hop profile.

3.47/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a 16 oz. pint.

A - Poured a fairly pale orange with a frothy, slightly tan head. I was expecting it to be unfiltered since that's what I'm used to with wheat beers, but, well, I get the impression this isn't going to be typical. The head faded to a thin cap and didn't leave any lacing behind.

S - Some piney hops stick out, but there's a noticeable sharpness or tang(that's more of a taste description, but it came to mind). It's almost...lemony.

T - Pretty unique. I was expecting more of a hop kick in terms of taste. I mean, it's hoppy, especially for a wheat, but the hop profile itself isn't all that impressive. Slightly citrus-y, but more along the lines of lemon with a slight bit of pine. It blends well with the wheat, atleast, which seems to be giving it a bit of a tang. Kind of grassy.

MF - Thin and enough carbonation to make it refreshing. Definitely works well with the warm weather outside. A bit sticky on the finish.

D - I could have a few, but I'd be more inclined to go with an IPA or a good German wheat than this for a second drink. I was looking forward to trying this, but I was a lot more impressed with their IPA and Maximus. This is interesting, and I can appreciate it, but I wouldn't really go out of my way for it.

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

Source/Serving: Fresh 12oz/ bottle from the brewery

Smell: Floral and fresh OJ IPA aroma, much more like an IPA than the pale wheat designation it has. Definite malt character - caramel - and light spice.

Taste: Lots of juicy citrus without the oiliness of an IPA up front. Fairly sweet, on par with juice sweetness, though bitterness is present and is incredibly smooth and drinkable. Full bodied, almost heavy which wasn't expected for the style and gives an overall impression of creaminess. The middle is mellow and smooth with a little husky graininess though with no more than a hint of wheat. Towards the finish there's a hint of ripe apples followed by a rush of oily orange peel bitterness that is the transition to a very IPA-like finish. Intense but smooth pithy grapefruit/orange bitterness with significant oiliness that really lingers with a touch of wheat. Leaves you wanting more.

Notes: The beer is very unique and really makes me say "there really is a little something in there" that makes you think and question your taste buds. It's a little off but everything just works. Leans towards an IPA.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company