A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,533 | Hads: 8,208
3.28/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Intense citrus , floral and hop smell, but tastewise this beer tries too hard to be something it is not with an overly intense IPA approach. Will not buy again.

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

LOOK: Poured into 25oz mug down side finishing with center pour. Left a significant head, perhaps I was a bit aggressive on the pour. Head was very white & frothy, leaving significant lacing as it slowly dissipated. Very light, clean & clear body, slightly orange/yellow hue. Looked extremely light & refreshing, just what I was in the mood for.

SMELL: HOPS!!!, Amazingly strong yet complex aroma. The smell seemed to combine lots of hops characteristics with citrus, pine & a fruity sweetness lingering. Don't have to stick your nose in to get an idea of what this ale is about.

TASTE: It pretty much taste like it smells. Heavy hops flavors with a nice citrus sharpness to it. Neat blend of slightly tangy/sweet fruitiness going on with a blend of malt & alcohol flavors holding it all together giving it a nice finish. I'm a bit surprised that the alcohol flavor wasn't more prevalent. I REALLY like the complexity of this ale.

FEEL: It had a bit heavier body than I anticipated based on the look. That being said, it was smooth & refreshing, making me want for more. This is an extremely drinkable ale.

OVERALL: I think this is probably one of the best beers I've ever had. I may have found a new "go-to" beer, definitely in the ale style. I'm sipping on my second one as I write this review & the only problem I have is I don't have another in the fridge. Not only would I recommend this to a friend, I'd beg them to try it. Thoroughly impressed with this beer.

If you haven't tried this one out yet, I hope this review convinces you to try it...CHEERS

4.29/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A little on the pale side and a lot on the clear side. Dark straw golden color and very translucent, however, the head alone scores the points. A finger thick, it's brilliantly bright white. Great retention, it looks like a sticky meringue. As it eventually dies, thick lace desecrates the glass.

Tropical citrus fruits combined with pine fill the nose.

Mostly pine, with grapefruit peel and orange rind. Fairly malty for such a hoppy beer. Slight pilsner malt taste well into the finish.

A hint of sweet hits the palate as the bitterness builds. It never approaches palate destroying levels, stopping well short. The resiny oil coats the tongue and keeps all other feelings at bay. Medium bodied, it finishes with a lingering battle between slightly sweet and mostly bittering crispness.

Overall, it's a hell of a beer. Can't quite tell if it's a strong pale ale or a moderate IPA. Regardless, it's an easy drinking beer that hides it's 7.5% ABV very well.

3.46/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice hop presence, nice mouthfeel, but there was an unexpected, and in my opinion unnecessary, sweetness to this beer that I found distracting. It didn't seem to play well with the good things going on in this brew, and it knocked the whole thing out of balance for me.

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A straw yellow color, slightly hazy with a thin lace head. Beautiful balanced hop aroma, almost IPA-like. Taste is well balanced too, not too much hop bite, just enough to make it and interesting blend with the wheat malt. I could almost think of this as a session beer if it weren't 7.5%.

4.66/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fabulous beer. Hazy yellow-orange, great head, fine citrusy hoppiness without being overpowering, substantial but not too heavy, refreshing and complex. Nothing like it.

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

Mehhh not a hop head sooo ya, this beer poured great looked and smelled beautiful. Give me a beer I can sit and easily drink over this one. However it was fun to try. If it's your thing cool.

3.42/5  rDev -18.6%

Well, at least it's sweeter than their IPA...

Really, whose idea was it to not only FILTER a wheat beer, but also dump a handful of hops into it?

It's a good beer. But it's an AWFUL representation of the style (and I bought it expecting a witbier/hefeweizen!). Drink this only if you really like Lagunitas in general, because you only get a touch of sweetness from the wheat.

I'll buy this again when I want a slightly milder IPA from their other offerings. They do make a good brew if you like bitterness.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'll quote 'mkh012' who says it better than I could. "The smell of this beer is a hop citrus bomb. It really is one of the [best]-smelling beers I've ever sampled; really sharp and floral. Luckily, the taste follows the nose almost exactly. This beer opens with intense citrus hoppiness but finishes smoothly. (...) Combines the awesome citrus aspects of a good wheat beer with the floral hoppiness of an IPA".
Definitely an IPA -- be it an American "Wit" IPA. To me, only the seasonal "Little Sumpin' WILD" is closer to perfection.

4.51/5  rDev +7.4%

As a disclaimer, I'm not a huge fan of hoppy beers. I'm open to IPAs, but I generally dislike the almost soapy aftertaste that some of the more bitter ones have. As soon as I smelled this beer, though, I could tell Lagunitas was doing it right. The smell of this beer is a hop citrus bomb. It really is one of the better smelling beers I've ever sampled-- really sharp and floral. Luckily, the taste follows the nose almost exactly. This beer opens with intense citrus hoppiness but finishes smoothly. The perfect use of 60+ IBUs. Combines the awesome citrus aspects of a good wheat beer with the floral hoppiness of an IPA.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy, pale gold with a creamy white head.
The aroma is slight citrus and toffee.
Taste is orange pitch bitter with a semi-sweet followup and a bitter, dry finish. Perhaps a slight Belgian-like funkiness as well.
Mouthfeel is medium and dry.
Overall, good but not great. A bit underwhelming.

3.49/5  rDev -16.9%

Drank it out of a solo bottle, poured into a British pub pint glass.

A: Golden, fully carbonated. Bubbling the entire lifespan of the glass.
S: Floral, not getting the wheat at all. Not what i expected from this beer, but the best part.
T: Meh, for a beer that i've heard great things about, the (multi varietal ?) malt was overpowering the hops. Not what i would have thought coming from a west coast company selling the west coast style, but my bottle could have been a bit old. There's a hint of the pine on the back end but still getting malt on the fore and aftertaste.
M: It is pretty crisp, not stale for sure.
O: Not horrible, not the best. I really wanted to give this one super high marks but for a style that was supposed to be a fresh take on an IPA/American PA, i'm pretty underwhelmed here.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Recommended to me by a friend so I didn't know what to expect since I love almost all styles of beer so this was a grab and go. If I was blindfolded I would have said it's a straight up IPA as I cannot detect the wheat. Very hoppy with a nice finish. Grapefruit with a tinge of blood orange. Smells like an IPA. Overall an amazing beer.

3.99/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Poured a hazy golden orange color with a foamy white head.
Smells floral and hoppy. Slight biscuit aroma.
Nice malty flavor with a hoppy finish. Easy drinking and damn tasty.

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Clear golden straw color with large soapy head that hangs around, good lacing

S: Smell is pretty strong, floral hops dominate, little bit of pine in there

T: The hops are really aggressive on the front end, floral and pine, wheat malts at the end to balance, really nice taste to it

M: Medium, good carbonation

O: This is a really good beer. It is strong in all the measurables. Really enjoy it and I will not hesitate to try this again especially if I can find it on tap somewhere.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Someone must have dropped a spliff in my bottle at Lagunitas. The aroma and also the taste have an astonishing weed component to it. Loving the way this beer is hoppy, smooth and not overly bitter.

3.15/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance was rich gold in color, with a slight murkiness, and thin white head...rather appealing. Aroma was faint, with a whiff of citrus. Taste was grapefruit and pineapple, with pine and herb and not enjoyable for me. Carbonation was rather light. Overall, this beer tries too hard to be an intense IPA--while unique, I found it very difficult to drink. I won't purchase again, and won't drink it again.

4.19/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No bottle date

Look - Pours a clear honey gold with a rocky white head. Good retention, average distribution, small to large bubbles, good lacing.

Smell - Pine, honey, apricot, sticky resin, a bit of grapefruit zest.

Taste - Dank vegetal hops up front, citrus bitterness on the finish. A bit of pine resin and sweet malt balances it out nicely.

Feel - Medium bodied, slightly viscous. Tingle o the front of the tongue, hop oils linger.

Overall - One of the beers that tured me into a hop head, still tastes great.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

The proper title should be American Strong Wheat Ale! Weizenbock strength! From the bottle, it pours a golden color with a nice head. Dangerously easy to drink!

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle in pint glass. Not my usual style, but one of the best hop flavors I've had, and balanced tastefully against the rest. Delicious! Really easy drinking for a wheat. From the description it seems like maybe it's still 50% barley; maybe that's why.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

No date, purchased in December 2014, reviewed 12/31/2014.

Appearance: Dark gold/extremely pale copper; 1/4" foamy off-white head. Very active carbonation, very nice retention - a "pillowy" 1/8" off-white cap. Outstanding lacing.

Aroma: Whiff of grapefruit as soon as I pour it. VERY citrusy and sweet.

Taste: Clean, slightly sweet arrival Fruity, but not excessively so. Clean, with a touch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Weighty, but not viscous. Not too much carbonation. Quite soft.

Overall: I could make this a regular summer IPA; it doesn't bowl me over with the bitterness, but it is PLENTY fruity and quite refreshing.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Straw in color. Fresh hop nose is apparent. Light-bodied with really bright tropical fruit flavors and a moderate hop finish.

This offering is immanently drinkable - which is darn dangerous at 7.5%!

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful dark golden yellow color. Kicked up a good two-finger fluffy off-white head that stuck around a good five minutes - great lacing till the end. The nose was typical Lagunitas, very citrusy and piney with just a hint of wheat bread in the background. The taste was nearly identical to the nose, with the pine a bit forward over the citrus. The mouthfeel was fairly thick and creamy - just about perfect. Just an outstanding beer in my opinion - I grab this one at the store very often, and will continue to in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely amazing smell - very tropical, fruity and fresh. It is very smooth and pretty light on the feel. I really enjoyed this beer and could have several of them and be happy.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Along with celebration, one of my two gateway craft beers. Does not taste the way I recall. A hint of hop stoopid in the nose but not the taste. Went down real smooth.. Just not a ton of taste. 4/5.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company