A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' AleA Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,533 | Hads: 8,210
4.17/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark orange with a thick creamy white head. Smells of faint bready malts and orange citrus with pepper notes. The first thing that came to mind when I drank this beer was general tsao's chicken. I get deep strong notes of caramelized orange and spicy red pepper. It has a nice bittersweet balance with a zing and spice to it that pairs well with spicy dishes. Creamy mouthfeel. The alcohol is slightly detectable at times. The taste becomes more mild and a bit sweeter as it warms. Overall a nice, unique, strong, and bitter brew.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

A -- Pours a clear golden with a nice head and lacing.

S -- Tropical fruits and citrus come to mind, and the hops are easily detectable.

T -- Definitely a hoppy beer, citrus and fruit character backed by bitterness with a strange foundation of sweet malt and wheat that play off each other in an interesting way. Smooth and sharp.

M -- Smooth up front and a dryness on the back.

D -- I would say that this is a solid brew that would be worth a repeat.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For awhile I have been reading a blog post from a guy here in KC raving about how good this beer is. See, from past offerings I have kinda lost an interest in Lagunitas because everything just seemed kinda average. That was then this is now and the KC beer blogger was dead on, A Little Sumpin is delicious.

Pours a crisp hazy golden yellow with a nice frothy head, it screams at me to head out into the sun.

The aroma is excellent, heavy hops with a mild sweetness.

The flavor is excellent as well, very distinguished hop presence but with a mild breadiness that intermingles and creates a perfect balance.

Mouth feel is crisp and clean, extremely refreshing. The right amount of carbonation.

As I said before, this brew is delicious. The abv is a little higher than desired for an everyday drinker but thats the only flaw, minor at that. This has completely transformed my previous view of Lagunitas.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Lagunitas continues to impress.

Hops, Hops, and more hops. some malt. Something like that on the label. And a pretty girl.

I'm not a huge fan of the cheesy name and picture, actually. But on to the beer...

Pours a nice clear yellow, a little orange. No sediment. Appropriate carbonation and head.

Smell is quite piney and citrusy. Way more than expected. A wheat ale? Huh? Smells IPA.

And it is. Taste reminded me a lot of Hop Stoopid. Clean, crisp, and fresh hops and citrus. Not as sweet as stoopid. Aftertaste a bit more dry, some spicy yeasty-ness shows the wheat beer character. Wouldn't notice it much if the label didn't tell me to think about it, however.

Mouthfeel thin for the flavors present, but not too thin. Easy drinking for sure.

The last few Lagunitas beers I've had have been great, but they all taste like IPA/DIPA variants. As a hophead, I like that. It may grow old for others.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Clear gold with a solid two finger head on top.

Smell: Floral hops and wheat.

Taste: hop bitterness up front, followed by a crutton-like flavor, salt crispness and a lingering citrus/pine flavor. It's a nice batch of flavors that all come together to make this brew awesome.

Drinkability: The nice crisp profile of the wheat with an american ale style yeast and hops make this guy a winner.

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass

A - Crystal clear, pale yellow body with a thin white head.

S - Citrus, hay, and wildflowers.

T - Builds off of the nose, but much more pleasantly intense. Lemon and orange flavors meld with an almost strawberry-like sweetness from the wheat. A final touch of oniony dankness and more citrus leave the taste buds satisfied.

M - Fairly heavy and glutinous with a slight carbonation bite.

O - A very tasty beer that has that good ol' Lagunitas hop character. However, something about this beer, maybe the mild carbonation, really struck me as being similar to homebrews I have tried. Nonetheless, a great summertime compromise between fruity hops and fruity wheat.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Another wonderful label from the folks at Lagunitas. Alas we are not to judge a beer by its cover..err label. Sumpin' Sumpin' pours a nice crystal clear gold. Things are topped off by two fingers worth of bone white head. The head eventually settles to a ring. A fair amount of lace is left in its wake.

Sumpin' Sumpin's nose packs a nice wallop. The aroma is definitely hop centric. Sweetened grapefruit strikes first. Some light lemon notes hit as well. Some faint herbal/pine notes rounds things out. Malt comes through only as to sweeten the citrus notes.

This brew definitely hits as hop centric on the palate as well. The sweetened grapefruit in the nose strikes with a bit more pungency. Some sweet herbal notes are present as well. The malt is more pronounced on the palate. Some pale wheat notes, with a light toastiness make up the malt. The finish is sweet with a long lingering herbal bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with adequate carbonation.

A little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale brings some much needed interest to an American pale wheat beer. The hops are ever-present, but never overpowering. The alcohol is kept well in check. While definitely a sweet beer, it never goes syrupy. Kudos to Lagunitas for another tasty hop heads brew.

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a yellow, slightly orange, lightly hazy brew, with nice dense head. Smells citrus, and pine, and hoppy great with some grain and malt notes...almost a sweetness there. Taste is malt and grain first, but gives to bitterness, and floral, and tropical fruits, and manufactured new-ness. Yep, you read that right, in a good, freshly made way. Mouthfeel is light for this, with a creaminess, and moderate hop echo...but I wish it to be more... and a winter warming that is nice, without being wacked with alcohol. A really terrific beer that I hope to have again.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

A big surprise for me here. I am not typically a wheat beer guy, but this one was a real eye opener.
Ice cold pour from bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Bright, clear orange color with a moderate snow white head. Lacing remained through out the glass and carbonation was a little on the light side for me.
A cornacopia of aromas with this one! Opened the bottle to a very bright pine / citrus smell. After the pour , got the true smell of pineapple and mango. Only improved as the temperature of the beer rose.
The taste was just the right level of fruity / maltiness - with the strong flavor of pineapple and mango showing through. Nice Hoppy bite at the finigh that lingered for just the right amount of time!

Surprise, surprise - maybe I am a wheat ale guy after all...

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Golden-yellow hue with a thin white head and some lacing.

S: Mild tangerine, pineapple and some pine on the nose.

T: Malt, wheat, citrus and general tropical fruit flavors.

M: Light bodied and carbonated.

O: Solid flavor profile, balance is good, though I would like just a bit more.

4.11/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: golden, very clear, looks like a good strong ale or lager. S: definitely the low light of this beer, get some sweet bready smell and some floral notes up front but it then turns to an almost sour urine smell, sorry but that's what I'm getting here :( T: up front has a familiar ale or strong lager taste, clean and wheaty, getting a real bready malty sweetness at the back of my mouth, finishes very bitter. M: pretty light, good carbonation, pretty dry from all the hops bite. O: Why did I wait so long to give this a shot, it's a good ale with some real hops bite.

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bright golden color, slightly hazy. The head was medium, and I had noce lacing down the glass. The smell to me wass IPA-ish, with a pronounced grapefruit and grassy aroma. Mmm, I didn't expect this, but am now excited to have bought this. The taste was also more like an IPA to me than a wheat beer. The grapefruit type taste hit me first, maybe a litte wheat in the background, but just sweep hop and fruity taste all the way through. Mouthfeel was awesome. What a great beer. I can't believe it took me this long to try one. I'll be back!

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Pours a straw yellow color with a nice fluffy white head with sticky lacing left behind.

S: Wow. Not what you expect with a Wheat. Like everyone before me has said, this smells like an IPA. Piney and Citrusy.

T: Not like a wheat. I think the only reason I get a hint of wheat is because my eyes are reading Wheat and telling my palate that's what it is. This is not your Fathers Wheat Beer...

M: Nice medium body with ample carbonation and a very nice hoppiness.

D: I wish I could just get an IV of this shit hooked right into my veins. I'm sitting here working on my 3rd glass and we just tapped the keg! Definitely worth trying. A true Hybrid beer!

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Crystal clear golden beer with a foamy 1 finger head which fades to a film. Nice lacing

S - Smell is strong citrus fruit, predominately grapefruit and a bit of pine or grassiness

T - Sweetness right upfront, hoppy, and similar to the nose, somehwat like drinking grapefruit juice.

M - Medium body, nice crisp drinker, moderate carbonation

O - An exceptional beer, perfect for the spring/summer months. Hoppiness is there but not overwhelming, the citrus fruit flavor makes this one easy to drink, and makes me keep wanting another sip

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A Lil Sumpin Sumpin is really a wheat based IPA and is more a specialty beer than a wheat pale ale. But however it should be categorized, it is tasty.

Pours a mostly clear (some viscosity) yellow with a small white head that didn't last, but I liked the clarity.

Smell is lemony citrus west-coast hops plus some grainy wheat malt sweetness. No esters to speak of. Very clean yeast character.

Taste is strong hop bitterness for the style, plus the lemony citrus hop flavor. Sweetness starts out the taste, but quickly gives way to the hops, which leads to a clean finish that is neither sweet nor too dry. The middle of the taste is all grainy wheat.

Medium body and smooth, with a bit of dryness in the finish to balance out the fuller sweeter body at the start. The dryness is probably due to the hops. Some noticeable alcohol warming, but not hot or harsh.

Overall, the initial sweetness is nicely balanced by the big hop bite in this beer. The sweetness and hops surround a grassy wheat malt middle. This is a go to beer for me.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Truly enjoyed this offering. Thanks to Rob, brought out to the boat to pair up with some FFF and other goodies for the Hot summer day.

A: What is expected. Looks enticing

S: Wow, jumps at you. Says drink me, I smell like FFF! (coming from a local FFF resident) citrusy, piney sweetness!

T: aroma is followed by the wonderful taste that includes pine hops, orange citrus, then some soft malty notes and of course HOPS to even it all out.

M: terrific with hops and silky smooth citrus refreshments

O: I will crave this beer until I have another. Haven't been able to get my hands on it. But I will, yes I will!!

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

The aroma is largely characterized by pine needles with a fruity edge: resin with grape and pineapple and a slightly doughy undertone. It has an eggshell-white head with a clear, light golden body; lots of lacing sticks around. The flavor is citrusy with a spicy bitterness and is reminiscent of pine needles, orange rind, and grapefruit, along with some doughiness that rounds out the flavor a little. The mouthfeel is rather crisp and medium-light in body with moderate carbonation.

Overall, the flavors don't seem to mesh very well; the citrus-like flavors and bitterness seem very stark. On the other hand, it has the intense hop character of an IPA with a discernible malt influence which comes across as soft and bread-like. The hops are citrusy and bitter, siding with grapefruit, lemon, and lime without the rounding influence of some sweeter, tarter orange, etc.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

I was really surprized by this beer. The bartender told me it was a wheat but the hoppiness knocked my socks off, in a good way.

A: very little head, light cream colored some lacing. A very pale yellow in color.

S: You can tell immediately this is a hoppy beer you can smell the aroma hops inches away.

T&M: Very sharp hoppy bitterness. Crisp mouthfeel. I felt like exclaiming "aaa" after every swallow.

D: I could drink this stuff all day but you have to give your mouth a break!

I liked this beer at the beer on-tap. appearance nice head and lacing in a pint glass. this beer is pretty amazing I was very impressed by it and drank two glasses. the taste is creamy and good feel to it. It is pretty drinkable the alcohol is well hidden.

3.67/5  rDev -12.6%

A) Reddish/golden brown. Head vanishes quickly.

S) Smells of a strong lemongrass.

T) Hoppy with a strong flavor of fruits.

M) Dry, but not overpowering.

The beer is somewhere between a "refreshing brew" and a "hoppy flavorful sipper" for me, making it tough to find times when I'm in a mood for a beer of such characteristics.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a golden hue into a pint glass with a minimal head. The evident smells are light, floral hops. The taste is upfront hops, without being overwhelming. Somehow this beer manages to be both light and hoppy, a rare breed in my experiences. The hop bitterness is not to the extent of an IPA, but the hop flavor is prevalent. This could easily be a session beer, and I highly recommend it.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a pale, gold topped with a one finger head, which dissipates rather quickly. Light lacing throughout.

S- Citrus and hops. Maybe grapefruit. Some pine and malt.

Mouthfeel - Medium/light. Smooth carbonation. Very light tingle to palate. Somewhat dry finish.

Overall - Very drinkable. Please sir...may I have another! :) YUM!!

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

A - pours a light blonde with a huge rocky head and creamy lacing clings to the glass.

S - Overwhelming amounts of hops. I thought this was a wheat ale? Very citrusy.

T - The hops are bombastic lots of citrus. At the end almost as an afterthought is the wheat finish.

M - Oily slickness from the hops up front then a drying effect from the wheat. I dont think they pair well at all.

D - It's ok. The amount of hops with the wheat strikes my palate odd.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

A good transparent golden straw color with a firm white head. A very thin ring of sediment in the bottle. I expected a bit more cloudiness and sediment. Smells like a hoppy IPA. Not too much malt in the scent but a small hint to their presence. Makes for a superb IPA but a little under malted for a wheat beer to my taste. A good all around mouthfeel and a very drinkable beer for it's alcohol content but in all it lacks a strong wheat malt for me.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

I got me a little sumpin' sumpin' and I like it!

Pours a slightly hazy golden with a nice 3 finger head after and aggresive pour into a Guinness pint glass. The off-white head receded quickly but was very sticky all around.

The bouquet was sweet ripe apricot and peaches - very nice indeed.

Flavors were more of the apricot and a variety of ripe lush fruits with a backbone of bitter hops that did not overwhelm the nice fruit flavors. Very reminiscent of a fruit forward IPA.

Excellent mouthfeel, viscous with a nice residual hop bite.

Superb balance. Excellent fruits with a perfect hop character that is consistent from start to finish that doesn't drown out the fruits or aromas and leaves your 'buds intact to appreciate the total package.

Pardon me...I gotta end this review so I can go get a little more sumpin' sumpin'.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company