Join our email list →

Lagunitas Brewing Company
California, United States | website

American Pale Wheat Ale | 7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,560 | Hads: 8,350
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Review Disclaimer: For the style, I'm not impressed. As a very hoppy ale, I like it a lot.

Appearance: Pours a very clear yellowish-orangish with lots of tiny bubbles and about a half-finger of bright white head. The head dissipates quickly, leaving a light head on top and a bit of sticky lacing down the sides of the glass.

Smell: Hops, hops, hops. I don't think this a wheat pale ale because I don't smell any wheat. I smell lots of yummy hops. A little bit of citrus. And not a whole lot else.

Taste: Hop bitterness. Sweet fruit esters. Lemon and orange tinges. Some hints of juniper and pine needles.

Mouthfeel: Very sticky sweet on the finish. I was expecting a lighter wheat pale ale, but it's sticky as any IPAs/DIPAs.

Drinkability: At first, the stickiness and the hops' bite made me think that this wasn't going to be overly drinkable, but as I slowly finish the glass, I'm wishing I had gotten more than a single bottle when I was in Texas. /tear

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Absolutely amazing smell - very tropical, fruity and fresh. It is very smooth and pretty light on the feel. I really enjoyed this beer and could have several of them and be happy.

Poured from bottle into pint glass and enjoyed with a fantastic Trader Jo's pizza topped with sauteed spinach, olives, onions, and garlic.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazed, orange-gold body sporting a full inch of off-white foam. Light lacing on the descent.

Smell: Smells of wheat, flowery orange, citrus, and a small hint of pine.

Taste:A very light mix of wheat and light grain. Small hints of citrus and pine. Exactly what it needs to be for a stronger pale wheat beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Such a great beer for it's price, If I want a good beer for a good price I generally go to Lagunitas, or sometimes Abita.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Along with celebration, one of my two gateway craft beers. Does not taste the way I recall. A hint of hop stoopid in the nose but not the taste. Went down real smooth.. Just not a ton of taste. 4/5.

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Beer is a gauzy golden amber with a light head. Aroma is of citrus hops, tangerine, bread. Taste start off with a modest malt taste and ends with a lingering hop hit of grapefruit rind. Very crisp and refreshing. Mouthfeel is very good. It is nicely carbonated and easy to drink. Overall a very well balanced, citrus-ey pale ale. Drinkable and delicious.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I usually am not a huge fan of wheat beers, but I guess the rep on this one is that its wheat is basically hard to detect. That's to my advantage, because I find this to be delicious. Their Sucks used to be my favorite, but I believe its taste and quality lost something along the way of transforming from a seasonal to a ridiculous shelf-sitting 32 ouncer and then a new year-rounder. I wish bottled-on dates were prominent on their beers. But in any event, this one, I believe, is the perfect substitute. Indeed, this tastes like a super IPA. I think some reasonably have a basis to object on this basis to its label classification of a pale wheat. Still, regardless of what it's called, I think this is a great tasting brew

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm admitedly a beer novice, so take this for what it's worth: this might be the best beer I've ever tried. The carton states how we should cease classifying everything and simply let it be what it is. Amen, especially as it pertains to this beer.

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured a yellow-amber with a pale head that soon disappeared

Smell and taste of a light pale ale (citrus and spice with a bitter finish), nothing to indicate being a wheat. Good but not memorable; lacks real complexity to savor to make for an overall good rating, and I particularly need this to justify an ABV over 7.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Picked this up at the little store. I forgot it was sitting outside the cooler, so it is a bit warm.

Pours a slight hazy golden/yellow. Nice white fluffy frothy head. Might be cause it's a tad too warm. Smells of nice citrus hops. Kinda has the same hop character as Hop Stoopid meaning has that very crisp apple flavored hop taste. I do like it. Very nice refreshing tasting beer.

-Bye

Don't be mislead by the desc, "American Pale Wheat Ale". This does not taste or look like a typical "rancid" wheat beer. It is dark and heavy and mysteriously smokey. 8/4/15 from a variety six pack from State Line Liquors.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

A - Pours a nice, clear golden color. A one finger white head has pretty good retention. A little bit of lacing here with lots of carbonation bubbles.

S - Very strong. Lots of floral hops and pine.

T - Very complex. There are some floral hops upfront followed by notes of pine. The thing that gets me is the after taste. It's like biting into a grapefruit. It also has notes of orange, pine and maybe a bit of pineapple. No wheat at all.

T - Light mouthfeel. Very good balance. Good carbonation.

D - Considering the higher ABV for a wheat ale this goes down real easy.

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter glass. Pours a golden/yellow color with a half inch white head. The head fades quickly leaving minimal lacing on the glass.

Excellent smell. Lots of sweet citrusy hops...pineapple, orange, grapefruit. Hints of wheat.

Taste follows the nose with citrus notes. This reminds me more of an IPA than a pale wheat ale, but it is excellent. Sweet citrus notes followed by wheat. Mouth feel is smooth, but a little flat. Carbonation is minimal on the tongue.

Despite being 7.5% ABV, this is a very drinkable beer. It is light and refreshing and it would be easy to drink multiple bottles.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar

A- A light copper/dark amber color. not much head retention, but decent amount of lacing. White frothy foam.

S- Very grassy and piney, with subtle amounts of grapefruit and tangerine.

T- The initial taste is of sweet tangerine and grapefruit. There's some honey in there as well and this all ends with some bitterly pine notes.

M- Very light, but very carbonated and sticky. Still easy to go down as it has a light body.

O- Can't believe this is my first time trying this beer. Sweet and sticky with just a decent amount of hops. This is so drinkable, I think I'll be having more of this very soon in the future.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a nice clear honey gold with a thin but lasting head. Nice lacing. Smells fresh, hoppy, and of pink grapefruit. Tastes of grapefruit, tangerine, and pine, and a trace of wheat. My wife picked up wheat on the nose as well. Every so often I taste a little of the alcohol but it is we'll masked overall. A very good wheat ale. Thanks again for the taste Bob!

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle (bottled on 8/2/10) into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden/copper color with a nice sticky creamy white head. Meduim carbonation level.

Aroma: The hops really shine through with mango and grapefruit. A nice touch of sweet malts in there too.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Tons of tropical fruit flavor here. Mango, grapefruit, orange, and peaches. Finishes with some light caramel malt backbone. Mouthfeel is very good with a light creaminess and mild hop bitterness. I really like the balance.

Drinkability: Wow! I really like this one. A very nicely done summer brew. Lots of citrus hop aroma/flavor, mild hop bitterness, and an easy drinking brew for such a high ABV. I will have to be sure to pick this up every summer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Bell's Pint Glass. No date on the bottle.

Burnt straw color that forms a decent white head that disintegrates rather quickly. Nice lacing around the sides of the glass. Smells of earthy hops, wheat, and grass. Very refreshing taste. A little bitter upfront, but that is balanced out with a nice refreshing wheat finish. Good carbonation. Overall a great beer. I would consider this Gumballheads twin brother, not identical twin, but pretty close. Has all of the characteristics to make this a top tier beer, and putting this in the same class as Gumballhead is an outstanding compliment. Well done Lagunitas!

4.54/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date.

Pours a hazed copper color with fast rising head, retention and lace is prominent. very attractive beer.

Hop profile of DIPA!!! Super pungent citrus blasts with Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, orange, and dank pine all blasting through my nose. having a hard time picking out the wheat and malts but they are in their somewhere.

BAM, Hops straight down the throat. not overly aggressive but bitter enough to deter the casual light beer drinker. Hops taste in essence with the scent but a nice caramel/wheat malt backbone balance it all out very well. Outstanding

Medium bodied with a slightly creamy feel to it, moderate prickly carbonation. Very refreshing finish with a tasty afterthought of fruity citrus hops.

7.5% abv 64.20 I.B.U this Summer wheat ale is the best ive had in a long time. Easy drinker for the hop head in us all.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured a bit hazy dark gold with 3 finger white head. Nice lacing. Nose was a bit piney w/ citrus. A little wheat but this is not a hefe. Feel is thicker and taste is very sweet with an IPA hop finish.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

OOOoo hello citrus hops! I picked up a few bottles for a mix pack of new brews last week and, not gonna lie, returned the next day and bought a fully qualified sixer of this gem.

I got a face full of grapefruit and piney hops the second I poured this pale golden, ever so slightly hazed beer into my pint. Nice. The taste surely did not disappoint either! The body itself was light and crisp, perfect for a summer day, and the hops are not lacking at all in this one. The carbonation was spot on as well IMO. I normally do not go for american wheats, however given all the hoppy goodness Lagunitas pumps out I gave it a shot. I recommend this beer!

The hardest part right now is finding it at other beer stores in my area. When I ask for Lagunitas "Sumpin Sumpin" i get the "ok yeah if you don't know the name how can I find it" response, no matter how hard I try to preface my request with a warning.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

crisp and golden, no cloudiness

funky wheat/ipa hybrid; cherries and salted almond brittle in the nose

taste is deceptive. feels like an ipa, has the bite of an ipa, but I can definitely see how it stems from a pale wheat/hefe tradition. to be honest, this is hard to label, it's unique and delicious.

the mouthfeel is superb: mellow and clean.

i like this beer. don't know how many i could drink in a row or if i'd have it often, but it's a good idea to throw a bottle of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' into your rotation.

4.29/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance pours a sparkling orangish yellow. White fine bubbles in a very clingy head.

Aroma- pineapple passionfruit citrus boquet with an underlying soapyness. A slight yeast quality with some hints of jolly rancher green apple fruit candies.

Taste- Great balance of lightly toasted malt and fruity citrusy hops. The whole thing finishes a bit sweet but it is very pleasant. It follows the nose quite a bit.

Mouthfeel- crisp and refreshing for a lighter bodied beer. The hops stick to the mouth lik ethe lacing in the glass. Alcohol?! what alcohol?! no burn or warmth or boozy taste.

Overall- a great daily drinker despite the higher ABV. I would have another with a side of Thai food or Jalepeno Poppers.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Normal pale ale look. I guess slightly hazy yellow is the best way to describe it. White head. Awesome lace, my little sumpin'-sumpin' has her lingerie on. Gonna be a good night!

S: Best smelling brew I've sniffed out in a while. Lots of C-hops and no malt. Man she's got the perfume on as well, this looks promising.

T: Think wheat&hops. Then add more hops for good measure and you've got a little sumpin'. This beer is awesome!(she's a home-wrecker)

M: Crisp. The flavors are perfect, and the finish is clean. (she shaved)

D: Gonna keep comin' back to this little lady, everyone knows I was no fan of Lagunitas in the past, however; they're wining me over as of late.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Had this on tap today at Birreria Paradiso in Georgetown. Their beer list described it as an IPA brewed with wheat, and I have to say that my impressions were much more in line with this style categorization than with American Pale Wheat Ale. If this is an APWA, it's definitely the hoppiest one (by FAR) that I've ever had.

Pours very clear copper with a moderately sticky eggshell white head.

Smells very piney and citrusy, especially grapefruity.

I can detect almost all of the usual suspects of hops flavors: grapefruit, pine, earthy tones/marijuana. The first impression as it hits the tongue is very, very sweet tropical fruit like pineapple and mango, then it becomes more bitter. Pine is strongest while it's cold.

The body is surprisingly thick for the style (whichever it is) and the carbonation tickles the mouth in the most pleasant of ways. Very drinkable for me. Yum yum in my tum tum. I am always amazed at Lagunitas's ability to deliver great beers (especially IPA-ish ones, IMO) at a reasonable cost. Bravo!

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this on tap at Poor Phil's in Oak Park, IL. Golden color with foamy head with good lacing. The smell is floral hop, with citrus notes. You think from the smell that it is going to be a hop bitter blast (which I don't really care for), but I was surprised that it was very smooth and well balanced with sweet malt husk and yeast flavors. Very well crafted recipe. Extremely drinkable. Definitely not a hop-tea that totally covers up the rest of the ingredients. This one exemplifies what an American IPA can be.

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The first thing that I noticed about this beer was the over the top hop aroma. As soon as you pop the top, it hits you...that wonderful smell...

A - Pours into my Sam Adams special glass a crisp, yellow color. A nice white head, about 1/3 of an inch tops the beer.

S - HOPS! The smell is amazing! Piney and citrusy.

T - A bit sweet, but a real hop forward wheat IPA. I really like the taste of this as it's very close to several wheat IPAs that I have homebrewed.

M - Perfect carbonation...many CO2 bubbles rise to the top of the beer and this makes it sit very well in the mouth.

D - This is a great summer time IPA. Super smooth and nice bitterness. This is a favorite of mine and I am glad to hear that it's now been upgraded to a year round release. I will definitely be purchasing many sixers of this wonderful ale going forward!

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company