A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

pDev: 10%
Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,514 | Hads: 8,133
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

This is just great beer. Something refreshingly different. It may be a little sweet for some but for me it makes for a great session beer. Just enough hoppy bitterness to react well with the sweet flavor. This is the best beer I have had from lagunitas so far. It hides the 7.5% abv almost to well.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Held up the line in Whole Foods for 10 minutes in order to buy a single of this beer. Apparently they don't split 6-packs in SD? Tragic.

Anyhow it's been a while since my last Lagunitas, but I have high expectations.

Sumpin' pours neat and clear, classic amber color suggestive of the hoppiness to come. Seafoam head, swirl-worthy with fantastic lace and purely white.

So they're calling this a Wheat Ale... Hmm, definitely not detectable in the nose. Aroma is all hops, on the sour side of IPA, sweeter with warmth, really promising. There's something interesting going on here nose-wise that I can't quite put my finger on yet.

Wonderfully burning on the palate, quite caustic despite the low IBU's. Straight up citrus chunks of bitter with a pleasant bready softness in the mouth. As it warms the alcohol notes are very prominent, but still rather balanced by the bitter hops. I like the dry finish, it feels like this beer just instantly evaporates on your tongue.

Pretty heavy for a "Wheat Ale," but a nice long sippin' hoppy beer. I don't think this beats Maximus or IPA, but another solid entry that would be damn good on draft. Overall, I wish there was a bit more wheat character here. The abv might be nice a tad lower as well. Great choice of hops, but such recipes are getting easier and easier to pull off these days. Glad to try it.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

P: 12oz bottle into a perfect pint glass.

A: Slightly hazy bright gold with an amber hue and a two finger bubbly white head. Lacing is impressive.

S: Lemon citrus hops and some pepper with a little floral aroma.

T: You get the wheat base up front but it's quickly diminished by the hop bitterness. Finishes sweet which is interesting, the hop bitterness is really in the middle of every sip.

M: Smooth for days, light body and moderate carbonation make this an easy beer to drink, this could prove to be dangerous at 7.5% ABV.

O: This is my first beer from Lagunitas, I've heard a lot about them but they've just recently become easy to find in Delaware. Part of me was hoping for this to taste like more of a wheat beer than an IPA but I'm not sure that I really care either way. It's got some really nice malt and hop aroma and flavors and goes down smooth. What else could you ask for? Recommended.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Reasonably brilliant orange color with soft but lingering head that laces nicely. Malty notes on the nose and vaguely reminiscent of compost (not a bad thing, mind you).

Tangy and honeyed with bright acid and fine toast and almond nuance.

Drinks well enough.

A: Beautiful light orange shade to it and totally clear. Big white fluffy head that lasts and lasts and leaves good lasing.

S: Very fruity. I get a ton of orange and apricot, maybe some peach and pineapple. Tropical fruits dominate over the pine and citrus in this one; kind of reminds me of Hopslam, but not nearly as strong. It also carries some of that wheat maltiness in the background.

T: Hops upfront. Lots of pine. Good bitterness. Pretty dry. It's easy drinking for 7.5% as no alcohol is present. A little disappointed in the taste, the pine really dominates over the rest of the wonderful bouquet I got earlier, still a nice drinking beer nonetheless, pretty refreshing. Once warmer, some of the fruitiness pokes through, which is nice.

M: Medium-thin. Medium carbonation.

This is a hop forward wheat ale. I kind of wished the balance was a bit better... the malt bill is a little weak in my opinion. Although I thought it was good and worthwhile, I've had better.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Golden and hazy with a one finger creamy head that looks like it will stay for a while. Smell is wonderful - pine scent predominates but there's citrus scent in there too. Taste is as expected, with piney hops predominant followed by citrus with a touch of malt. Mouth feel is light.

Wow, my tour through the pale ales is showing me that i do like a hoppy beer. I would like to see a touch more malt showing through to balance the hops, but that's not going to stop me from drinking it.

4.29/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours to a giant rocky ivory-colored head with moderate retention, sitting on a slightly hazy, sparkling pale gold body; lacing consists of some really nice rafts and ladders. The nose is an intense, delicious blend of grapefruit, pine and almost perfumey florals, with hints of lemon and orange as well. The palate starts with bitter grapefruit and florals, which are joined mid-palate by a nice pineyness and a good view of the lightly-toasted malt foundation. The finish is pretty clean, as just a bit of soapy nuttiness is left behind, followed by a crisp bite from the carbonation, a flash of clean wheat malt, and then a moderate bitterness that lingers, with a hint of perfume, for a few minutes. Mouthfeel is biggish for the light body and the texture is nice and creamy. The moderate carbonation really only makes itself known on the finish, and the alcohol is very well-hidden.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a snifter.

A crystal-clear golden-orange body with a foamy white head that leaves more than a modest trace of lacing. Really a pretty beer.

Citrusy hops rule the nose with the slightest whiff of wheat malt that draws out some complexities as the beer warms.

Tastes of grapefruit and orange. The malt doesn't really seem to have a chance of being noticed, but, similar to the aroma it begins to quietly present itself as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel seems perfect throughout - enough body to deliver the mass amounts of hops without becoming too thick or syrupy.

It's been a few years since I last had this beers - it was one of the first craft brews I ever had, so I was relatively unaware of what I was trying - and I feel so pleasantly surprised at how fine it is. This is a great beer.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Pours a light golden color, similar to a pilsner, but slightly darker and more opaque. Great head retention and thickness that is pure white. Parts with a thin and scattered lace on the glass.

S - Hops definitely dominate this aroma. The malts are present and the spices from the wheat are noticeable, but the hop bitterness really stands out.

T - This beer is an "American Pale Wheat Ale." The name describes the taste perfectly in terms of color, lightness, and a hint of spicy flavor. The flavors completely mask the 7.5% abv. with the aid of the 64.2 IBUs.

M - This beer really satiates all parts of the tongue by delivering exactly what it states. No hot alcohol burn, but a perfect kick from the hops and wheat.

D - At 7.5% abv. this beer is dangerously drinkable. The light color and crisp taste really throw me off. I feel as though I'm drinking a normal, lower %, pale ale until I look at the bottle.

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. The head is smooth, creamy and off white. Nice retention. The beer is a nice, cloudy amber color.

The smell is hops, nice fresh hops. Very clean.

Mothfeel is smooth with the right amount of carbonation.

What is this, anyway? It says it's a wheat beer but it tastes like and IPA and a good one at that. Nice and hoppy and smooth. Defintite pine flavors. The alcohol is hiding somewhere but you won't find it until later. This is a nice effort. I'm looking forward to the next bottle.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a clear golden amber with one finger of fluffy white head.

The nose is mostly hops. Grapefruit and pine with a bit of grassyness. Only a slight hint of wheat.

Taste follows the nose: fruity hops dominate followed by a grassy/earthyness. Good malty sweetness follows the hops for a nice balance. Again, slight wheat in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with little carbonation with a dry finish.

Drinkability is good. Not the best example of the style but very tasty in its own right. Definitely an enjoyable beer.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

A: The kind of head you'd expected from a wheat beer, frothy white foam cap. Pale amber color that has a slight haze to it.

S: Way more hops than your typical wheat ale. Very floral and grassy but balanced by a sweet bready aroma.

T: Not as much hops in the mouth as the nose, though certainly more than your typical wheat ale. In some ways its reminding me of Gumbalhead with a more bitter finish. It has a sweet bubblegum and fruit start that's cut quickly by the bitter hops. Malt backbone is present in the finish.

M: Somewhat disappointing, it seems as so as you swallow it all trace is gone. Probably due to the thin body and high carbonation. I guess that's kind of how it's suppose to be though.

D: On a hot day I could easily see myself drinking a six pack of this and not even thinking twice about it being over 7%. Its crisp and refreshing with enough hop presence to take in before each gulp.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Had from a 12 oz bottle in a tulip glass

A = Crystal clear. Nice light golden color. Good head. So far, we're looking good.

S = Smells like an IPA (even though they say it isn't). Citrus and hops prevail.

T = Tastes like a light IPA to me. Very nice - not too hop crazy.

M = No bitter after taste that is typical of an IPA.

O = Really liked this beer. I can see what they mean when they say it is hard to categorize.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Nice light brown coloring. Golden amber.

S - Citrus, and hoppy.

T - Initial taste, very hoppy and sweet. Doesn't have that hoppy over the top bite to it though. I can also taste a caramel undertone. There is a mild bitterness that lingers in the back of your mouth. Top notch.

M - Has a pretty light feeling to it. At 7.2% it's definitely no light beer but goes down easily. The hops and the carbonation give it a nice crisp feel.

Overall this is a fantastic beer. Lagunitas is making some killer stuff and they've yet to disappoint! I feel very lucky to be able to have access to many different types of beer they make from their Cappuccino Stout to Brown Shugga. They all come highly recommended. Cheers.

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a pint glass from the 12 oz. bottle.

Pale golden-orange color with a very slight haze to it. White head and lots of beautiful bubbles lurking below the surface from the carbonation.

Smell is of floral hops with some tropical fruit aromas. A bit of an underlying sweetness.

Hard to believe this is a wheat beer - starts out with very straightforward grainy, dry malt; quickly followed by the hops that begin piney and floral, but quickly turn into a biting rindy bitterness that lingers for some time. In fact, this aftertaste is, to me, the most noteworthy characteristic of this brew - the resonant bitterness that fades slowly away.

Mouthfeel is a great balance of crisp carbonation and smooth, medium body. Pleasant and drinkable.

A nice offering, although, if inspired by Three Floyds' Gumballhead, it really doesn't match up. Gumballhead is so much more balanced and nuanced. This is bold and for the most part, well done, but appears hamhanded next to a brew like Gumballhead. But that's just my opinion.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Golden, almost amber color. A nice two finger head that quickly dissipates, but leaves beautiful lacing

S: Tons of tropical fruit like papaya, mango, pineapple. A nice carmel maltiness that balances the slight hop bitterness

T: Hops are there, but not in a bitter way. Very herbal-like quality to the hops. Nice and juicy, mostly papaya and mango flavors.

M: Medium bodied with tons of carbonation.. Relatively dry finish

D: Extremely high. Could easily drink 4 of these

O: Amazing beer. The tropical fruitiness gives this brew a nice juicy character. Good for hopheads, yet good for those who aren't. Check it out if you can

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Golden amber with an almost honeycomb-like hue. Perhaps slightly darker than I would have pegged a beer that is notoriously this hoppy. Huge, tri-fingered head that seems to be receding rather quickly, leaving a sufficient amount of lacing.

S: Hops that seem to scream with their juicy character rather than with any bite themselves. I'm getting a strong sense of grapefruit and coriander as my nostrils delve deeper and deeper into the glass. I must be careful, or a noseful of foam is imminent!

***At this point, I should make note of the lacing. It seems to be rather patchy, but I like it. It adds a sort of hidden elegance to my glass.

T: Ah, the time has finally come to take a swig of this wondrous beverage. The head has all but receded completely as I begin my journey...

Oh my god. For lack of a better two-word term, I'm in "hop heaven." This beer is spectacular. I'm a hop-head, to be sure, but I feel like this brew could be appreciated by beer lovers of all sorts. Granted, it has enough hops to make your face turn green, but it also has an undeniable sweetness aspect to it that makes it deliciously, and dangerously, drinkable.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation, and perfect feeling on my palate. I really don't think that Pale Ales get better than this. I am typically an IPA man, but this beer alone is making me rethink my style preference.

D: Well, I started the day off with a Dead Guy Ale (My first Maibock [I'm a n00b!]) and now I'm on my second Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. I seriously doubt I'll have any of these left in my six-pack before the day is over.

A special shout-out to Mike from Brawley's for recommending this. I've known about this beer for quite some time, but was initially going to buy a bomber of Hop Stoopid before Mike recommended I put that back and buy a sixer of this. Thanks Be To Mike!

Drinkability is indeed worthy of perfect score. I'm polishing my sixer now!

One year later...

Look: Light golden orangey combination; appears to be citrusy as all getout. We'll see if the nose matches up. Minimal lacing; small amount of head.
Smell: Very fruity. Mandarin oranges, and perhaps a hint of white grape juice. A somewhat distinct yeasty character.
Taste: So citrusy. It's a hop bomb without the characteristic bitterness. I'm not terribly educated on all of the hop strains, but this one's bursting with the most citrusy of the breed. Excellent. Refreshing. Masks the 7.5% abv quite well.
Feel: Heavily carbonated. It's almost like drinking an orange, alcoholic Fanta (except much more delicious than that experience would be).
Overall: Though I've limited experience with "American Pale Wheat Ales," I like to categorize this beer as more of an American IPA with significantly more citrus and less bite. Thus, it is in my top five of American IPAs.

***Addendum: Noticed it's brewed with all of the "C" hops on the beer's BA page. I'm assuming that includes "Citrus"...

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

See this all the time, thought I should finally try it

A - Not a lot of head, but what is there leaves a ton of lacing

S - Pretty crazy: biscuit, big red gum, cookie spices, raw flour, a lot of hop presence: getting citra and chinook big time. Obviously a great amount of wheat malt and maybe roasted pale malts

T - Wheat astringency, good amount of hoppy bitterness, some juicy hops. Big malts, big hops

M - Almost drying, like tap water with some implied astringency. Alcohol is very well hidden

Definitely gets points for originality. It definitely is a "little sumpin" cause I have no idea what just happened

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

nice, clean, warm, almost full-inch head. the lacing is clear and proper foamy, sticks around forever. pours a cool, golden-slime yellow into a nice, translucent heavy-champagne tone. slight, slight sediment present in the body.

smells of oranges and hella hops with a citrus overtone. first hit of the nose reminds one of a christmas tree. mighty floral.

light, citrus, refreshing on-bringing with a crisp wet finish. those floral hops ever so linger. hops here have a unique and mellow taste and feel.

a great, well crafted beer. one of my faves to review so far. damn proud of lagunitas, damn proud.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A: What I would call your typical "West Coast Golden" color. To be expected for the type of beer.

S: Definitely a citrusy aroma permeates through the head of this. Not overwhelming, but again, to be expected

T/M/D: This one set me back in my seat a little. A terrific explosion of hop flavor dominates. Candied grapfruit/tangerine/orange flavors. Wonderful. What really surprises me though is that the mouthfeel of this beer really has a nice chewyness to it. I've heard that Lagunitas uses the Fuller's yeast strain, and in my experience of using that strain in my own homebrewed IPAs, I'd say that's what really lends a hand here in the body of the beer. Overall there is still a great crispness to the beer that invites you to take another drink. This falls within my classification of dangerously drinkable beers. The 7.5% sure gives a whallop, but it's too late to do anything about it because all of a sudden you've pounded 3 of them down.

I'm really starting to get a lot of respect for this brewery, and am sorry that it's taken me this long to get around to trying this and some of their other terrific offerings.

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I like this beer so much I was compelled to write a review. Has a great hoppy, almost citrus taste. Not usually biggest fan of citrus but this just works fantastically in this beer. There will always be room in my fridge for a six pack of this fine brew.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Poured into an imperial pint glass, it appears wheat-field golden brown with orange highlights. The head pours into a tight 1" meniscus, and leaves curtains of small-holed lace down the side.

S: The aroma is white grape juice, sour lemons, and earthy vegetable garden notes.

T: The first flavor I would describe as sweet balsam, although I doubt that's what it would taste like I actually put a balsam branch in my mouth. I also get flavors of zucchini bread, rye, and herbaceous peppercorn. There is a long bitter but sweet lemony finish.

M: This feels heavier than the golden appearance would indicate. The finish gets drier as it continues, but is not sticky or unpleasant.

D: Bitter and piney but not tongue-burning, and sweet but not cloying, this is a balanced and refreshing beer. I went through two bottles quickly, and found myself wondering if this would be even more sterling right from the tap.

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.
a-It looks like a pale ale perhaps a little light with a very slight opacity.
s-Very full and balanced between citrus and cascade hops. Extremely strong, but not overpowering. This is the best quality of the beer.
t-There is a nice balance of hops, but cascade takes the lead. There is a nice, slight bitterness in the initial taste that switches to a very very light malty sweet aftertaste.
m/d-very light in the mouth and goes down really smooth. This is much more drinkable than I expected

3.95/5  rDev -6%

A: Honey yellow color, cloudy. Finger width of white foam.
S: Strong hops aroma. Fruity with lots of grapefruit.
T: Very potent grapefruit taste and also quite a bit of sweetness. Bitter tang at the end. Lighter in malt taste than Lagunitas Lucky 13.
MF: Light mouth feel. Medium carbonation.
D: Very refreshing beer. Interesting combination of flavors. Nice for hot summer days. Would go well with picnic fare. Definitely would order this beer again.

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

A - Two-finger white head that bubbles down into a slight coating on the top which remains....pretty much forever. Heavy lacing on the glass. Some of the lacing has stuck where the beer was first poured to and hasn't moved an inch. Nice, deep-yellow color with a hint of cloudiness. 4.5

S - Floral, hoppy smell. Very pleasant and hints at the flavor. 4.0

T - Very sweet citrus flavor with strong, bitter hop notes at the end. The taste is quite bitter (almost a little too bitter for me) at the end but still e

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company