Join our email list →

Lagunitas Brewing Company
California, United States | website

American Pale Wheat Ale | 7.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2009

Brewed with 50% wheat malt and all the "C" hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,560 | Hads: 8,351
4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

It's always a delight to see the slutty Sumpin' girl back on the shelves. But she should be holding two pineapples in front of her boobs, because this beer tastes and smells (judge Smells?) like pineapples. Delicious, delicious pineapples. Golden liquid pineapples with a fish-belly white foamy top. Oh pineapples, thank you for your flavor profile in this beer. And the zippy fun finish is a nice reminder of the slutty girl on the label.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Yellow golden body with a slight white head.

S: Another great smelling beer from Lagunitas. True west coast IPA smell with plenty of sweet citrus and hop aroma. Finishes nicely with the malt and wheat.

T: Hard to follow the believable smell this beer gives off, but it tastes pretty great as well. Mango and grapefruit with nice hop kick. The wheat is slightly detectable but not prominent.

M: Medium bodied and carbonated.

O: A really stellar offering from Lagunitas. I applaud them for making really good beer that is pretty accessible to the masses. I could drink this all day.

3.81/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass. Liquid gold in color with a quarter inch of off white head which disappears to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Strong smell of piney-hop resin with some grapefruit. Taste is similar with a mildly bitter aftertaste. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and quite drinkable. This doesn't taste as good as last years batch - which is unfortunate, as that was delicious. Still, this is a very tasty beer and quenches ones thirst on a warm summer's day quite readily.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the 12oz. bottle into a Cervoise tumbler glass. Pours several fingers thick white head that has absolutely FANTASTIC lacing. The color is the typical burnt orange straw.

The nose is dominant w/ citrus hops, makes me think of pine needles. Nothing else here though. Typical American version. No banana or clove or anything else.

The taste is really unique & great IMO. Hops are obviously the main focal point, but they aren't abrasive. Very citrusy. Has a decent malt backbone. Has a spicy snap on the very back end of the drink & reminds me of some of the other beers I've had that had a peppery note to them. Very nice.

The mouthfeel ranks in at medium. No doubt from the generous use of wheat malt. A very well made beer. Overall, this beer is very much drinkable & is very high on my list. One that I am so very glad is not a limited release. Will be a staple in my rotation. Prosit!!

I don't get as geeked out about this beer as some friends of mine, but it is pretty good.

Pours a hazy orange with a thick and creamy white head. Nice lacing.

Smells of citrus hops and some subtle pine.

Taste is very hop forward. Mostly grapefruit citrus, with some pine undertones. Nice hoppy beer from start to finish. Solid malt backbone.

Nice beer. I enjoy most of Lagunitas' beers.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured a crystal clear golden color with a foamy 2 finger head. Left a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Big hop aroma. Pine and grapefruit with a bit of a sweet aroma.

Taste follows the nose with pine and pink grapefruit up front balanced well by a sturdy malt backbone. Finishes with a nice lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium and a little slick, goes down smooth. A little low on the carbonation, but it works well.

Overall this is another great beer from Lagunitas.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very drinkable delicious Wheat Pale ale, the light hoppy notes mix so well with the wheat flavors.

Very session-able and is always a go to for any sort of get together.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a bottle of this brew and found a lovely light, golden color with a nice 1/2 inch head. Lacing was above average against the glass.

Smell is amazing! Smells like a christmas tree fornicated with a grapefruit and a piece of caramel, then popped out a Little Sumpin' beer, wailing and crying and begging to be opened and drank.

Taste is even better than the smell. Solid wheat flavor, followed by the strong pine hoppiness, then the grapefruit citrus and finally the soft sweetness of the caramel or subtle molasses. Really nice!

Mouthfeel is carbonated but does not scratch your throat, which is sometimes difficult to achieve.

Overall this beer is absolute quality! It has flavor, appetizing smell, strength (7.5% ABV), and a dry enough after-taste to make you want to drink more...and more...and more...y mas para mi hermanos latinos! But it...now...seriously...why are you still here...go out and buy it.

4.2/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance
Slightly hazy dark golden color with a medium frothy white head. Good lacing.
Smell
The first thing that hits me is that it smells bitter, citrusy notes come afterward, tropical fruit, wheat, slight hint of malt.
Taste
The taste is unique, it’s bitter and has a tart sticky sweetness. Medium heavy mouthfeel. and a but of alcohol.
Overall
I like this beer and recommend it. It’s the first Lagunitas beer I ever had and it started my love affair with them.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

P: 12oz bottle into a perfect pint glass.

A: Slightly hazy bright gold with an amber hue and a two finger bubbly white head. Lacing is impressive.

S: Lemon citrus hops and some pepper with a little floral aroma.

T: You get the wheat base up front but it's quickly diminished by the hop bitterness. Finishes sweet which is interesting, the hop bitterness is really in the middle of every sip.

M: Smooth for days, light body and moderate carbonation make this an easy beer to drink, this could prove to be dangerous at 7.5% ABV.

O: This is my first beer from Lagunitas, I've heard a lot about them but they've just recently become easy to find in Delaware. Part of me was hoping for this to taste like more of a wheat beer than an IPA but I'm not sure that I really care either way. It's got some really nice malt and hop aroma and flavors and goes down smooth. What else could you ask for? Recommended.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was very nice. Nice golden color with a really nice white head.

Smell was huge. Lots of citrus (grapefruit) and hops. Very aromatic.

Taste was good. Very mush like an IPA with a little bit of wheat flavors. Very complex and very nice.

Mouthfeel was pretty big because of all the hops so you probably would want to drink more that one or two.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

This is just great beer. Something refreshingly different. It may be a little sweet for some but for me it makes for a great session beer. Just enough hoppy bitterness to react well with the sweet flavor. This is the best beer I have had from lagunitas so far. It hides the 7.5% abv almost to well.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Held up the line in Whole Foods for 10 minutes in order to buy a single of this beer. Apparently they don't split 6-packs in SD? Tragic.

Anyhow it's been a while since my last Lagunitas, but I have high expectations.

Sumpin' pours neat and clear, classic amber color suggestive of the hoppiness to come. Seafoam head, swirl-worthy with fantastic lace and purely white.

So they're calling this a Wheat Ale... Hmm, definitely not detectable in the nose. Aroma is all hops, on the sour side of IPA, sweeter with warmth, really promising. There's something interesting going on here nose-wise that I can't quite put my finger on yet.

Wonderfully burning on the palate, quite caustic despite the low IBU's. Straight up citrus chunks of bitter with a pleasant bready softness in the mouth. As it warms the alcohol notes are very prominent, but still rather balanced by the bitter hops. I like the dry finish, it feels like this beer just instantly evaporates on your tongue.

Pretty heavy for a "Wheat Ale," but a nice long sippin' hoppy beer. I don't think this beats Maximus or IPA, but another solid entry that would be damn good on draft. Overall, I wish there was a bit more wheat character here. The abv might be nice a tad lower as well. Great choice of hops, but such recipes are getting easier and easier to pull off these days. Glad to try it.

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Reasonably brilliant orange color with soft but lingering head that laces nicely. Malty notes on the nose and vaguely reminiscent of compost (not a bad thing, mind you).

Tangy and honeyed with bright acid and fine toast and almond nuance.

Drinks well enough.

A: Beautiful light orange shade to it and totally clear. Big white fluffy head that lasts and lasts and leaves good lasing.

S: Very fruity. I get a ton of orange and apricot, maybe some peach and pineapple. Tropical fruits dominate over the pine and citrus in this one; kind of reminds me of Hopslam, but not nearly as strong. It also carries some of that wheat maltiness in the background.

T: Hops upfront. Lots of pine. Good bitterness. Pretty dry. It's easy drinking for 7.5% as no alcohol is present. A little disappointed in the taste, the pine really dominates over the rest of the wonderful bouquet I got earlier, still a nice drinking beer nonetheless, pretty refreshing. Once warmer, some of the fruitiness pokes through, which is nice.

M: Medium-thin. Medium carbonation.

This is a hop forward wheat ale. I kind of wished the balance was a bit better... the malt bill is a little weak in my opinion. Although I thought it was good and worthwhile, I've had better.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Golden and hazy with a one finger creamy head that looks like it will stay for a while. Smell is wonderful - pine scent predominates but there's citrus scent in there too. Taste is as expected, with piney hops predominant followed by citrus with a touch of malt. Mouth feel is light.

Wow, my tour through the pale ales is showing me that i do like a hoppy beer. I would like to see a touch more malt showing through to balance the hops, but that's not going to stop me from drinking it.

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. The head is smooth, creamy and off white. Nice retention. The beer is a nice, cloudy amber color.

The smell is hops, nice fresh hops. Very clean.

Mothfeel is smooth with the right amount of carbonation.

What is this, anyway? It says it's a wheat beer but it tastes like and IPA and a good one at that. Nice and hoppy and smooth. Defintite pine flavors. The alcohol is hiding somewhere but you won't find it until later. This is a nice effort. I'm looking forward to the next bottle.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served in a snifter.

A crystal-clear golden-orange body with a foamy white head that leaves more than a modest trace of lacing. Really a pretty beer.

Citrusy hops rule the nose with the slightest whiff of wheat malt that draws out some complexities as the beer warms.

Tastes of grapefruit and orange. The malt doesn't really seem to have a chance of being noticed, but, similar to the aroma it begins to quietly present itself as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel seems perfect throughout - enough body to deliver the mass amounts of hops without becoming too thick or syrupy.

It's been a few years since I last had this beers - it was one of the first craft brews I ever had, so I was relatively unaware of what I was trying - and I feel so pleasantly surprised at how fine it is. This is a great beer.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Pours a light golden color, similar to a pilsner, but slightly darker and more opaque. Great head retention and thickness that is pure white. Parts with a thin and scattered lace on the glass.

S - Hops definitely dominate this aroma. The malts are present and the spices from the wheat are noticeable, but the hop bitterness really stands out.

T - This beer is an "American Pale Wheat Ale." The name describes the taste perfectly in terms of color, lightness, and a hint of spicy flavor. The flavors completely mask the 7.5% abv. with the aid of the 64.2 IBUs.

M - This beer really satiates all parts of the tongue by delivering exactly what it states. No hot alcohol burn, but a perfect kick from the hops and wheat.

D - At 7.5% abv. this beer is dangerously drinkable. The light color and crisp taste really throw me off. I feel as though I'm drinking a normal, lower %, pale ale until I look at the bottle.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

Pours a clear golden amber with one finger of fluffy white head.

The nose is mostly hops. Grapefruit and pine with a bit of grassyness. Only a slight hint of wheat.

Taste follows the nose: fruity hops dominate followed by a grassy/earthyness. Good malty sweetness follows the hops for a nice balance. Again, slight wheat in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with little carbonation with a dry finish.

Drinkability is good. Not the best example of the style but very tasty in its own right. Definitely an enjoyable beer.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

A: The kind of head you'd expected from a wheat beer, frothy white foam cap. Pale amber color that has a slight haze to it.

S: Way more hops than your typical wheat ale. Very floral and grassy but balanced by a sweet bready aroma.

T: Not as much hops in the mouth as the nose, though certainly more than your typical wheat ale. In some ways its reminding me of Gumbalhead with a more bitter finish. It has a sweet bubblegum and fruit start that's cut quickly by the bitter hops. Malt backbone is present in the finish.

M: Somewhat disappointing, it seems as so as you swallow it all trace is gone. Probably due to the thin body and high carbonation. I guess that's kind of how it's suppose to be though.

D: On a hot day I could easily see myself drinking a six pack of this and not even thinking twice about it being over 7%. Its crisp and refreshing with enough hop presence to take in before each gulp.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Golden amber with an almost honeycomb-like hue. Perhaps slightly darker than I would have pegged a beer that is notoriously this hoppy. Huge, tri-fingered head that seems to be receding rather quickly, leaving a sufficient amount of lacing.

S: Hops that seem to scream with their juicy character rather than with any bite themselves. I'm getting a strong sense of grapefruit and coriander as my nostrils delve deeper and deeper into the glass. I must be careful, or a noseful of foam is imminent!

***At this point, I should make note of the lacing. It seems to be rather patchy, but I like it. It adds a sort of hidden elegance to my glass.

T: Ah, the time has finally come to take a swig of this wondrous beverage. The head has all but receded completely as I begin my journey...

Oh my god. For lack of a better two-word term, I'm in "hop heaven." This beer is spectacular. I'm a hop-head, to be sure, but I feel like this brew could be appreciated by beer lovers of all sorts. Granted, it has enough hops to make your face turn green, but it also has an undeniable sweetness aspect to it that makes it deliciously, and dangerously, drinkable.

M: Perfect amount of carbonation, and perfect feeling on my palate. I really don't think that Pale Ales get better than this. I am typically an IPA man, but this beer alone is making me rethink my style preference.

D: Well, I started the day off with a Dead Guy Ale (My first Maibock [I'm a n00b!]) and now I'm on my second Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. I seriously doubt I'll have any of these left in my six-pack before the day is over.

A special shout-out to Mike from Brawley's for recommending this. I've known about this beer for quite some time, but was initially going to buy a bomber of Hop Stoopid before Mike recommended I put that back and buy a sixer of this. Thanks Be To Mike!

Drinkability is indeed worthy of perfect score. I'm polishing my sixer now!

One year later...

Look: Light golden orangey combination; appears to be citrusy as all getout. We'll see if the nose matches up. Minimal lacing; small amount of head.
Smell: Very fruity. Mandarin oranges, and perhaps a hint of white grape juice. A somewhat distinct yeasty character.
Taste: So citrusy. It's a hop bomb without the characteristic bitterness. I'm not terribly educated on all of the hop strains, but this one's bursting with the most citrusy of the breed. Excellent. Refreshing. Masks the 7.5% abv quite well.
Feel: Heavily carbonated. It's almost like drinking an orange, alcoholic Fanta (except much more delicious than that experience would be).
Overall: Though I've limited experience with "American Pale Wheat Ales," I like to categorize this beer as more of an American IPA with significantly more citrus and less bite. Thus, it is in my top five of American IPAs.

***Addendum: Noticed it's brewed with all of the "C" hops on the beer's BA page. I'm assuming that includes "Citrus"...

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Had from a 12 oz bottle in a tulip glass

A = Crystal clear. Nice light golden color. Good head. So far, we're looking good.

S = Smells like an IPA (even though they say it isn't). Citrus and hops prevail.

T = Tastes like a light IPA to me. Very nice - not too hop crazy.

M = No bitter after taste that is typical of an IPA.

O = Really liked this beer. I can see what they mean when they say it is hard to categorize.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Nice light brown coloring. Golden amber.

S - Citrus, and hoppy.

T - Initial taste, very hoppy and sweet. Doesn't have that hoppy over the top bite to it though. I can also taste a caramel undertone. There is a mild bitterness that lingers in the back of your mouth. Top notch.

M - Has a pretty light feeling to it. At 7.2% it's definitely no light beer but goes down easily. The hops and the carbonation give it a nice crisp feel.

Overall this is a fantastic beer. Lagunitas is making some killer stuff and they've yet to disappoint! I feel very lucky to be able to have access to many different types of beer they make from their Cappuccino Stout to Brown Shugga. They all come highly recommended. Cheers.

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Aggressive hoppy beer. Pored into a tulip glass to a 3/4 inch head, the lacing stuck to the glass ok. Smells of citrus and piney, with hops aroma. Decent taste but not to balance for me.

A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company