A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Extra! AleA Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-23-2009

Ratings: 2,403 | Reviews: 508

A- Classic clear golden orange color. Good finger of head and the lacing looks to be super sticky so far just seeing the head fade away. Sticky spider webs all the way down. Great lookin' brew.

S- I was able to smell this before I even poured it. After the pour my nose was engulfed in the wonderfulness that is this brew. Strong citrus that overpowers everything else in the area, just lots of pungent fresh grapefruit and lemon. Smells amazing.

T/M- Oh.... My... Goodness... All of the flavors are exploding in my mouth, I almost can't take it. It is just the perfect amount of bitterness combined with the maltyness and fruityness and oh so fresh tasting. At first it seems to have a extreme bite, but then it goes down so smooth and there is very little bitter aftertaste. No alcohol burn to speak of and it is not boozy at all. I don't want this to ever end. To me, this brew is a very strong contender for Pliny the Elder in terms of my favorite DIPA, this really is a fantastic beer.

D- This is likely because of the Taste and Mouthfeel being so good, but I could drink this forever, let alone throughout a night of a drinking. I am having trouble finding anything wrong with this beer. This will be my very first perfect score and I believe it is most deserving. I don't know if this beer got me at the right moment or what, but I feel as if I am in heaven at this very moment. I just hope I can find more of this beer somewhere I want more before it's gone.

Thank you Lagunitas for satisfying my palate way beyond my expectations.

One of my favorite beers in the world! Outstanding in every way. It even ruined Little Sumpin' Sumpin' for me (which is amazing considering how good a beer THAT is.)

Sweet pineapple malt notes mingle seamlessly with the citrus hop and wheat-ish background. Truly a wonder to behold!

Excellent balance of malt and hops, with an emphasis on the hops.

Strong grapefruit aroma hits your nose as soon as you open the bottle. That follows with a strong grapefruit and hops flavor up front with a good dry bitter finish. Another excellent beer from Lagunitas.

Great flavor, full and hoppy but drinkable

Great beer

This beer is awesome!! If you have the chance definitely try this beer, it is limited so not very much out there.

Looks like an IPA, hazy yellow-orange color.

Smells like grapefruit (the flavor I like in an IPA)

Tastes like grapefruit, citrus flavors and bitter finish that linguers on the back of the tounge, alcohol is well hidden in the flavors. This beer is excelent for the price, I paid $4.49 for this 1 pint 6 oz bottle, oh yeah, I went back and got a case of it because it tasted so good!

The mouthfeel is just like any other IPA, some carbination and goes down very smoothly.

The drinkability of this beer is amazing, I could drink this until I pass out...well I could definitely have a few that's for sure, it is so delicious.

I highly recommend this to anyone who loves a good IPA, and you can't beat the price.

A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale
$4.99

A - Beautiful copper color

S- sweet floral aroma.

T -Sweet, fruity citrus, just the right amount of hops. delicious!

M - high carbonation and a little sticky

D - Very drinkable, I feel that it's one of their best bombers.

If you hav't had this yet, pick one up. It's truly a little sumpin' extra!

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

The best of the 'Sumpins'.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer blew me away. I like Little Sumpin Sumpin a lot, so I kind of assumed this would be just a hoppier/maltier version of it. I guess that's true, but it's way better than I ever imagined. It's more like a combination of Sucks, Hopslam, and Heady Topper. Don't pass up buying this beer if you see it. You won't get a better bargain on a true world-class beer.

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favorite of the little sumpin line

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

22 ounce bomber poured into a Unibroue tulip. Beautiful, fluffy, lingering white head and some nice lacing. Smell of grapefruit and pine with some sweet malt background. Sweetness comes forward more as the beer warms a bit. I'd love to say that the beer is balanced, but I think that in a way its perfectly out of balance. You don't name a beer Sumpin' extra if its perfectly balanced. That said, Sumpin' sumpin' is my beer of the year for 2009 and Sumpin' extra was not one ounce of a let down.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Easily managed head is sticky and coats the glass with every pull. Slightly clouded copper body with medium carbonation.

Whoa first pull is a 5.0 on the Taste scale. I'll have to investigate further to see if the first impression will stand. Amazingly this brew remains somewhat balanced by DIPA standards. The hop profile is absolutely flawless. Not too bitter and plenty of citrus. The beer cleans up nicely and doesn't leave behind much resinous hop destruction. I loved it.

This ranks up there with the best DIPA's ever. It won't blow away those that want complete hop destruction but it still packs a huge punch. Once again the crew at Lagunitas knocks it out of the park and still manages to keep their prices within reason. Thank you!!

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle (Julian date 160 = June 9, 2014) into a Spiegelau stemmed tulip glass

A- Pours an absolutely clear golden with a full, one finger worth of a creamy, white head...exactly what I would anticipate a world-class DIPA to appear. Being that Wheat Malt is a substantial component of the malt bill, I am impressed with its clarity (5.0)

S- Assuming rye malt is a component of the recipe, there is an immediate spicy component followed by mango, citrus and melon. A Little Sumpin' Extra delivers both in appearance and olfactory hues (2-for-2)! (5.0)

T- The malt backbone is present, yet the hops balance it all out into an orgasmic frenzy! Although amped from the standard Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale, this is its own beast (much like Sumpin' Wild). Spicy, Hoppy and Malty all in the right places. The 8.5% ABV falls completely under the RADAR. (4.75)

M- Sweet malt backbone followed by a relatively mild citrus rind bitterness makes this extremely balanced and easy on the palate for a DIPA. The carbonation is unassuming, yet allows the flavors from the malt and hops to infiltrate the palate, creating a repeat-ability that makes this a highly drinkable offering.(4.5)

O- Although brewed at least once before, this is my first take on the brand. After one bottle, I am hooked and this stands to be my favorite of the 'Sumpin' trilogy (year-round, Wild and Extra!). Although a perennial fan of Hop Stoopid, I would like for this to replace it in Lagunitas' year round offerings as it is that good...shame on me for not picking up more than a 6-Pack! (4.75)

4.79/5  rDev +13%

wow. on tap at blind tiger in the west village. pours like similar west coast dipas - hazy orange, slightly viscous, fluffy 1.5 inch head in a tulip glass. the smell is hop heaven - bright, floral, fruity - my date actually suggested she wear it a drop or two as perfume to keep me interested. the taste was similarly spectacular - almost all hops, mellowed only slightly by a necessary malt backbone. mouthfeel was properly clingy without being cloying, and i would love to drink a few of these the next time i go out.

a wonderful beer - if you see it, drink it.

4.77/5  rDev +12.5%

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Oliver's in Albany, NY. Or maybe it was from Julio's in Westboro, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" beige head over the clear golden amber brew. Head recedes slowly, with sporadic lacing. Aroma is piney hops with a sweet undercurrent. Taste starts sweet, pine takes over in the middle, then closes with bitterness and some grapefruit, and lastly some lingering warmth. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth, and drinkability is superb, especially for the style. I love a DIPA that goes with flavor rather than bitter for bitter's sake.

4.75/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours brilliant gold under a 2” off-white foam cap that quickly dissipates
S: Hop nose prominent, citrus and resin
T: Malt, caramel and citrus lead the attack with citrus and fruit hop flavors and a moderate bitterness bringing the beer to a close.
F: Above average carbonation, slightly above average body
O: A well made big flavored Imperial IPA that is refreshing and easy to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

One of my faves from good ol' Sonoma County.
Very fragrant, with hints of pine, a floral bouquet and a yeast presence.
The first sip very balanced. It is smooth, perfect carbonation and is not overpowering but the piney, fruity hoppiness is strong. It is a very easy drinker and pairs well with a good ribeye or something like that. I agree with the person who called it a "food beer". All in all, Lagunitas is killin' it! I love my Heady Topper but this beer has to be world class. The right word is balanced. It is aromatic, makes you want more with the complexities with the hoppy, citrusy, floral cornucopia yet is a smooth companion. Very understated for an Imperial Ale but does the trick it's supposed to and more. I'll bypass my Magic Hat variety and get another right now.............

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Golden clear beer with three finger head that fades to a one finger head within a few minutes. Inviting bubbles rising.

Smell: Fresh aroma full of hops, citrus and malt.

Taste: Nice balance of grapefruit and malt. Sweet malt that fades into pleasant citrus bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing light carbonation.

Overall: Excellent beer that is in my top five list.

Serving type: Bottle into a beer mug.

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

What a surprise! Had this on a whim because the menu said it had a hoppy finish. Youza just another great big beer from these guys. Keep it coming!
There is something unique about the carbonation profile of their beers. Lots of floral character with that oily hop flavor that these guys are so good at. Time for a trip to Cali!

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Tangerine orange with a nice, frothy head and a slight haze

S- The hops come out in a pleasant manner reminiscent of lemon and pepper way and there is also some tropical fruit alike pineapple and mango

T- The flavor is really focused on the bitter hops but there is a bit of doughy, nutty malt flavors

M- The light carbonation and sticky body helps carry the rugged hops in the beer thought your mouth without burning your tongue

D- Pretty much the perfect session beer for me because I don't like to drink a whole lot but still get drunk

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

A little Sumpin Extra is a MASTERPIECE. This is as good a DIPA as there is on the market. Tons of hop aroma and flavor. Delicious, ripe citrus, no resinous piney flavors. Nice citrus aroma. The drinkability is amazing. No trace of the high ABV. I could drink this all day. One of the best beers I've had in a long time. Totally impressed.

4.71/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice clear orange, almost a finger of white head, not that impressive of lacing

Smell is lemon, orange, mango, pine, tropical, a nice dankness, a bit of bready malt

Taste is a big pop of tropical and citrus, orange, mango, kiwi then some pine, bready malt a tiny amount of that onion garlic note, a bit of a wheaty note in the finish with grapefruit bitterness

Mouthfeel is medium full, nice carbonation

Wow I love this beer, IMO this is better then Sucks, may be my new favorite Lagunitas beers.

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a large off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick but spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is an excellent blend of grassy hops, fruity citrus and light caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of caramel and citrus that are immediately followed by a strong floral hops bitterness. The malt character is on the thin side for the style despite the sweetness but it works nicely for this beer and still provides a good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is a very good beer that is worth drinking for an entire evening.

A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company