2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Extra! AleA Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-23-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 465 | Reviews: 331 | Show All Ratings:
ktrillionaire

2.38/5  rDev -42.8%

A – It pours a hazy orange-amber with a moderate off-white head. Thin sticky lacing clings.

S – The aromatics are generally grapefruit-y, overripe citrus and a thickly sweet malt. It smells a tad off-balance.

T – It tastes way off-balance. A ton of grapefruit rind flavors, sweet caramel, and hot alcohol just clash. They just trainwreck.

M – Foamy and full.

D – This is one of the only times I have ever referred to alcohol tasting too strong; it is seldom an issue for me. But when a beer is unbalanced, any element can be irking.

02-26-2010 00:31:04 | More by ktrillionaire
UA8

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

Pours a hazy orangey amber body with a huge chunky beige head which settles out into thick lacing and puddly foam.

Scents of funky orange peel and bicuity yeast and dryish malt.

A bit harsh with very muddled malts and stale tasting citrus-orange hops notes. Finishes with a bitter herbal/ chemical taste.

Medium body and carbonation.

Overall a great disappointment after I enjoyed a lil sumpin sumpin so much. Just kinda over bitter and stale tasting. I would attribute this to age but there's no freshness date and the bottle showed no sign of sitting around label looked new and no dust etc. I'll likely revisit this when I go to the brewery and re review if things are different.

04-26-2010 16:36:14 | More by UA8
beertunes

Washington

Well just by looking at the numbers, you can tell I think that this an average Imperial IPA. Color was a slightly hazy, golden straw. Not much head or retention. A typical hop aroma and flavor. Body?, yup, just about what you expect. Drinkability is what Imperial IPAs are expected be at, given the strength and tongue numbing aspects of the style. Not a bad beer, I'll have it again, but it seems to represent what Lagunitas has become. I used to look forward to trying new brews from them, but lately they just seem to be going through the motions.

09-23-2009 22:15:17 | More by beertunes
claminat420

3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

A- poured a nice transparent golden color with alil white foamy head. little lacing.

S- a light candy scent backed up with some hops.

T- lightly sweet with a nice little hop attack. nothing to crazy for a double ipa (hop attack)

M- light to medium bodied. nice carbonation.

D- could drink a bottle then it's on to something next.

Overall- i liked the regular lil sumpin ale better than this one. not to shabby tho.

09-29-2009 04:39:02 | More by claminat420
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.08/5  rDev -26%

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Clear light amber color. Nose is pine hops. Flavor is strong pine hop, hoping for a little caramel, don't find any. No doubt this has high IBUs. Label puts the ABV at 7.5%. $2.25 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

09-09-2010 22:25:23 | More by jdhilt
BeerSox

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

22oz bottle into pint glass.

Clear honey color with just a bit of haze. A one finger head slowly settles to a thick cap, with a solid wall of lacing being left behind.

A very thick hop aroma with a very unique flavor. Very leafy with only a touch of citrus.

The flavor has some light grapefruit notes, but grapefruit seems to jump out in front. There is also a light sticky sugary flavor, that's also in the aroma, that's slightly cloying and lowers the drinkability. Full bodied.

A decent beer but the hop flavor is what stopped me. Not sure what it is but there is a sticky cloyingly sweet flavor and aroma that lowers the enjoyment and drinkability of the beer. I enjoyed A Little Sumpin' Sumpin', but the extra takes a step back in my opinion.

10-11-2009 22:43:11 | More by BeerSox
Docer

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

Saw a bottle, bought the bottle... drank the bottle.

- Nice orange hazy brew with a fizzy white head, left lace all about.. a very pretty brew.

- Floral and citrus hops galore.. and smelling a lot like all of their other bomber offerings... with they ever brew something that smells and tastes different? Maybe use a different hop or something?

- Is this Hop Stoopid? Perhaps just a bit more bitter on top of the overdone citrus and tea-like hopping... extract overkill, and sweet.. as if sugar or poprocks were added. I would love to see them try some different hops for a change. This brew is too close to Hop Stoopid. Leaves a sweet sugary film on the lips... like smoking a flavored cigarette.

- Bit oily and sticky.... leaves an earthy grass-like hop aftertaste... a little funky.

- Overall is somewhat drinkable, but the flavor is overdone, and just a bit too much for me. If I wanted a funky earthy hop driven citrus overkill of a brew... I would just grab an India Pelican Ale..

11-06-2009 19:16:40 | More by Docer
jamie2dope

3.33/5  rDev -20%

This came highly recommended from the staff at Martys in Newton. this is a good looking beer, showing a glowing orange color, with a finger of white heading. Smell of hops, wheat and some lighter stone fruits. Flavor is very hop forward in the beginning, but ends with the wheat somewhere in the mix. Not really too bitter, more of a decent mix between bitter and sweet. Mouthfeel is moderately heavy, and some notes of alcohol make their way through. I had no issue clearing off the bottle, however I am not sure I would get it again. Final thoughts are that this beer is pretty good, although not nearly as much as the Martys staff said. I was not the least bit impressed by the Lil Sumpin Sumpin available in six packs. This is an improvement, but still nothing to go hunting down. I am more of a fan of the Hop Stoopid. Anyway, give it a try, and put some extra sharp cheddar next to it.

10-01-2009 23:20:35 | More by jamie2dope
charlzm

3.33/5  rDev -20%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Four ounce sample, consumed 2009/11/14 at the Hollywood Brewfest.

Clear, honey/copper colored beer with very fine, one finger off-white head.

Aroma is slightly soapy but mainly floral.

Flavor is interesting - massively hoppy as expected, but with subtle touches of honeysuckle and a spicy edge (cinnamon?). I couldn't discern enough malt flavor to comment on it.

Dry finish with bitterness that lingers forver and a day.

This is not a beer I am enamored of; DIPAs are often quite drinkable due to their balance between strong malt and huge hop presence. This one is almost all hops and so not terribly drinkable to me.

11-24-2009 02:15:44 | More by charlzm
marvin213

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

For a DIPA, this thing is light-lookin'. Aside from the big foamy top, it could pass for a pilsner. The froth is good and lacing is present, but this looks like it represents what to all of us is a concern: the dilution of Imperial IPAs.

The smell is hop extract. These Lagunitas beers are all seeming the same to me, and I'm trusting the extract less and less. My initial experience with Hop Stoopid was awesome; Little Sumpin Sumpin was good but difficult to differentiate. The smell of Sumpin Extra is still no different--it smells like Hop Stoopid (i.e. extract), but we're encountering the law of diminishing marginal value.

With this one, I'm presently surprised by apparent maltiness in a DIPA. I've got to be wrong because the beer looks so light, and it is an Imperial IPA...but I actually detect some balance. If I let me skepticism and negatively skewed attitude take hold again, I reckon it might be hop fade that produces this result. It tastes purty good, so I'll rate it good; nevertheless, as winter approaches, I'm more and more convinced that this year's hops have run their course. Football is upon us and I look forward to January not only for playoffs, but Hopslam. Pardon me, for I have digressed....

For a DIPA especially, it's far from bitter. In fact, this extract with which I've become familiar through Lagunitas provides a sweetness uncharacteristic of most DIPAs. Still, the hoppy beers from Lagunitas remain eerily similar. It feels like the others. I like it, but I can't keep giving it top-notch credit when it keeps reemerging under different names: -0.5 for (lack of) originality.

I don't want to keep buying the same beer disguised in a different label. It's a wee bit different than Hop Stoopid, but that's a phrase I attribute more to Highland Brewery in Asheville than Lagunitas in Sonoma County. Bottom line: if I want a little sumpin' from Lagunitas, I'll stick with Hop Stoopid.

09-13-2009 18:58:26 | More by marvin213
waltonc

Colorado

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours slightly hazy golden/orange color with nice looking white head. Smells like a shitload of grapefruit blended with pine needles. Tastes like...a shitload of grapefruit blended with pine needles. Though there is a fair amount of malt here to partially balance things out. Fairly bitter, but a tad sweet. So not the driest ipa ever. Body is fairly thick with lots of carbonation. It's rare that I want to drink very much of an IPA, and this isn't one of those beers that makes me want to keep drinking.

12-01-2009 01:42:22 | More by waltonc
WhiteOak

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Extra

A- Honey yellow. Moderate lacy head.

S- Fairly strong simple hops aroma.

T- Bitter, piney hops on the attack, with a medium-light bodied malt on the mid-palate. A thin, slightly sour finish.

M, D- A straightforward IPA with a good shot of additional bitterness, but without the extra malt to balance it. Without major flaws, but it did not compel me to want to repeat it. Easily drinkable, but not inspiring.

02-13-2010 00:15:01 | More by WhiteOak
Epicedion

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Bomber poured into a .5L mug.

A: Eh. Golden colored, thin fizzy head that didn't stick around long.

S: Tart, hoppy. Maybe a little spicy.

T: Too damn sweet. It starts out a bit like a Sierra Nevada, a strong up-front floral hop flavor. But then it's sweet. It's not sugary, or overwhelmingly sweet, but the finish of the beer is pretty much ruined by it. That said, it doesn't taste -bad-. It's just disappointing.

M: Medium-thin. Nothing special here, but nothing to detract from the beer either.

D: I'm on the fence here. This beer even at its relatively high alcohol content would be very drinkable if not for some of its negative flavor characteristics. That said, if you set one in front of me, I wouldn't turn it away.

11-02-2009 05:47:52 | More by Epicedion
OlieIPA

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Found a bomber of this puppy at Hi-Time Liquor...not sure how old it is...but hell, I'm still going to review it anyways. Poured into a Bruery tulip and reviewed with the help of the very lovely Aimstatus.

A: A golden/light copper body that supported both a frothy white hued head and mild lacing.

S: Tropical fruits, light bodied malts, and some citrus hop aroma.

T: Sweet with an alcoholic taste upfront that in some ways burns the palate the way spicy food does...so it was hard to pinpoint any additional flavors. If I had to describe these minute nodes, I would say they consisted of resin hop bitterness and pepper-like spices.

M: Slightly drying, mild carbonation, and I feel I need a glass of water after a few sips.

D: There was something I really liked about this beer...but again, there was something I disliked about as well. Overall, an above average tasting beverage that never seemed to quench my thirst.

Overall: I prefer the younger sibling, A little sumpin sumpin, over this brew. Cheers!

10-14-2009 17:32:34 | More by OlieIPA
elgiacomo

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

22oz bomber. Pours orange with a big white head. Nice lacing....left clumps on the side of the glass.

Aroma is grapefruit, pine, light caramel.

Flavor is big on grapefruit and pine, orange, some caramel malt, some sweetness, bitter resin finish. Has that Lagunitas "kick" to it.

Mouthfeel is a little sticky, medium carbonation.

Nice one overall.

12-20-2009 19:20:11 | More by elgiacomo
bboven

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Light copper, hazy body. Great thick finger of head with lots of lacing.

Much maltier and boozier than I expected from a Double IPA. The hops are there, but they don't show up nearly enough.

Initially very sweet, then turning tannic and almost astringent in the end. The hops are also there in the end, but only as bitter, no real hop complexity.

Nicely drying, low carbonation which I like. Pretty full mouthfeel overall.

Not bad, but not an Imperial IPA. Not enough hop representation happening for that. Maybe an imperial copper ale?

03-08-2010 23:19:21 | More by bboven
Lothore

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

A- Pours a crystal clear tangerine hue with a small, off white head that leaves lacing on the way down.

S- Smells very sweet, almost all malt with some light floral notes.

T- A very malt forward DIPA. A strong wave of light fruits washes over the palate topped off with piney hops that leave a little bit of a bitter taste.

M- Thick with lots of carbonation.

D- I didn't enjoy this one very much. I feel like this is the prime example of a DIPA being too malt forward.

10-19-2009 05:29:36 | More by Lothore
DNICE555

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

On tap at Eli's during the Dating Game. My editor was being set up with Hoagie's wife's friend Laura. A little too sweet for me. A very solid double ipa but I prefer hop bombs. While there is a lot of nice grapefruit bitterness there is an overwhelming syrupy sweetness to it. The individual components could have been a bit tighter. I'm knit picking here but at this stage in the game I expect a lot from a double ipa to bring it to that A,A+ level. Just like Laura for The Larse... this one really didn't do it for me. It didn't move once throughout the whole pint.

10-01-2010 12:28:16 | More by DNICE555
froghop

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a clear pale yellow-orange with a medium size white head, and very good lacing.

smell is of orange peel, some spice, ash, floral, and some hops.

taste of grapefruit hops, orange peel, spice, and some caramel, ends nicely bitter.

overall a very nice imperial IPA

12-26-2009 21:50:48 | More by froghop
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

22oz bomber $4.49. Nice orange color, good head, looks a lot like Hop Stoopid. The smell is piney and hoppy and the taste is quite hoppy as well. This is a fine DIPA but to be honest it really lacks the citrus juiciness that Little Sumpin' Sumpin' had. Also the mouthfeel is a lot thicker (obviously) and I don't like that. For my money I would buy Little Sumpin' Sumpin' but if you want a hoppy DIPA for cheap this fits the bill.

08-28-2009 15:58:09 | More by ArrogantB
WeisGuy

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

a - pours a bright golden color, big ivory head with great retention and lacing, pretty clear on the first pour

s - grapefruit and alcohol are the dominant aromas, a bit of malt and bread creeps into the aroma as well

t - big citrus hop flavors with well-balanced bitterness and sweetness up front, mid-palate has more sweet maltiness mixed in with the citrus, finish is once again sweeter than I would expect, but with a strong hoppy bitterness to balance it out, slightly hot

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, fairly dry finish but not too dry for a DIPA, some alcohol warming

d - more drinkable than many big DIPAs, but still not something you'd want to be drinking all night, not all that complex and/or interesting

10-15-2009 04:50:33 | More by WeisGuy
ccrida

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Bomber poured into an imperial pint, A Little Sumpin' Extra is dark gold with a large white head that leaves foamy lace.

Smell is strong, pungent sweet citrus hops. Really distinct, and a bit too much honestly

Taste is pretty good, but very sweet, lots of citrus hop flavor, like the nose, but some spice and pine on the finish. Alcohol is well hidden behind the intense, rich flavor.

Mouthfeel is slick, medium bodied, with a dry finish.

Drinkability isn't too high, as it's very sweet and intense, although my palate did favorably adjust about mid-way though. Still, having just had the Sierra Nevada 2009 Estate Brewer's Harvest Ale right before this, which cost 3 times of much, makes me realize how cool Lagunitas really is.

11-01-2009 02:34:42 | More by ccrida
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

A Lil' Sumpin Sumpin is going to be a tough act to follows, Lagunitas. Best of luck, though!

Appearance: Pours out a faintly hazed, amber-hued body with a medium-small, frothy, off-white head.

Smell: Heady mixture of pale, lightly toasty, vaguely sweetish maltiness and aromatic hop notes of astringent pine resin, sugar-coated grapefruit rinds, and a pervasive, underlying earthiness.

Taste: Sweet-tasting pale malts with a light touch of toasted grains. Small, buried hints of malted wheat in the taste, though this could just as easily be the product of a diseased, alcohol-ravaged mind, so who knows for certain. Then, in come the hearty dose of hops with strong, sharp floral, citrusy, earthy, pine-based tastes and a moderate amount of tongue-scalding bitterness. Toasty touches persist in the latter half, but, mainly this is the realm of the bitter hops (at least for me). I would say this finishes bittersweet, but it's more like 75% bitter and 25% sweet. So, it finishes bittermoresweetless. Yes, that sounds about right.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. A bit oily and even sticky in the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Well, it's a run-of-the-mill Double IPA for me, having left behind the grace and ease of it's younger cousin, going back to bitter and basic and not too terribly far removed from their other basic, bitter brews.

12-26-2009 16:17:59 | More by ChainGangGuy
danielharper

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Pours light orange, slightly yellow, with a thick white head that dissipates pretty quickly. Somewhat hazy.

S: Smells like a pretty standard DIPA, strong crisp bright hops with a sweet citrusy malt balance. Very West Coast.

T: Tastes very similar, strong bitter hoppiness with a bit of a citrus malt underneath. A bit mono-flavored, but good.

M: Moderate thickness, high hops, high carbonation.

D: Overall a decent DIPA, a nice offering from Lagunitas, but probably not as good as their regular offerings.

02-22-2010 04:48:31 | More by danielharper
brow1901

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Let this beer warm a bit!

A- Good looking beer. Pale harvest orange in color with a slightly off white head on top. Nice retention and super sticky lacing. The beer is crystal clear.

S- Nice resinous hop aroma, decent ammount of the grapefruit scent. But mostly its strong piney hops in the nose.

T- I'm kinda disappointed by the taste, the hops always hit me as it went down the throat which I found unenjoyable (could just be me?). The worst part about this it masks the point where you would normally pick up on malts or other grains (even in IPA's). So what it ends up tasting like to me is hop water.

M- Mouth feel was far too light especially for an Imp IPA, but even as a regular IPA its way to weak. Dry hopped bud light is what comes to mind.

D- I guess this beer isn't bad as far as "drinkablity", it wasn't a chore to finish the bomber by any means. It's refreshing, light and clean, if that what your looking for this is the beer. As far as buyability it was $4.75 for a bomber so its pretty cheap, but I woulndn't get another one.

09-30-2009 05:55:37 | More by brow1901