A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-23-2009

Reviews: 527 | Hads: 2,623
2.43/5  rDev -42%

A – It pours a hazy orange-amber with a moderate off-white head. Thin sticky lacing clings.

S – The aromatics are generally grapefruit-y, overripe citrus and a thickly sweet malt. It smells a tad off-balance.

T – It tastes way off-balance. A ton of grapefruit rind flavors, sweet caramel, and hot alcohol just clash. They just trainwreck.

M – Foamy and full.

D – This is one of the only times I have ever referred to alcohol tasting too strong; it is seldom an issue for me. But when a beer is unbalanced, any element can be irking. (566 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours a hazy orangey amber body with a huge chunky beige head which settles out into thick lacing and puddly foam.

Scents of funky orange peel and bicuity yeast and dryish malt.

A bit harsh with very muddled malts and stale tasting citrus-orange hops notes. Finishes with a bitter herbal/ chemical taste.

Medium body and carbonation.

Overall a great disappointment after I enjoyed a lil sumpin sumpin so much. Just kinda over bitter and stale tasting. I would attribute this to age but there's no freshness date and the bottle showed no sign of sitting around label looked new and no dust etc. I'll likely revisit this when I go to the brewery and re review if things are different. (687 characters)

Well just by looking at the numbers, you can tell I think that this an average Imperial IPA. Color was a slightly hazy, golden straw. Not much head or retention. A typical hop aroma and flavor. Body?, yup, just about what you expect. Drinkability is what Imperial IPAs are expected be at, given the strength and tongue numbing aspects of the style. Not a bad beer, I'll have it again, but it seems to represent what Lagunitas has become. I used to look forward to trying new brews from them, but lately they just seem to be going through the motions. (550 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -27.2%

A- poured a nice transparent golden color with alil white foamy head. little lacing.

S- a light candy scent backed up with some hops.

T- lightly sweet with a nice little hop attack. nothing to crazy for a double ipa (hop attack)

M- light to medium bodied. nice carbonation.

D- could drink a bottle then it's on to something next.

Overall- i liked the regular lil sumpin ale better than this one. not to shabby tho. (420 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Clear light amber color. Nose is pine hops. Flavor is strong pine hop, hoping for a little caramel, don't find any. No doubt this has high IBUs. Label puts the ABV at 7.5%. $2.25 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA. (349 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -26.3%

L: straw with a one finger white head
S: light grapefruit and hints of pine
T: not very good, might be a bad keg... Pine and bitter, some kind of weird rotten flavor.
M: crisp and light
O: not as good as I had hoped given how much I normally like lagunitas (260 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -25.1%

22oz bottle into pint glass.

Clear honey color with just a bit of haze. A one finger head slowly settles to a thick cap, with a solid wall of lacing being left behind.

A very thick hop aroma with a very unique flavor. Very leafy with only a touch of citrus.

The flavor has some light grapefruit notes, but grapefruit seems to jump out in front. There is also a light sticky sugary flavor, that's also in the aroma, that's slightly cloying and lowers the drinkability. Full bodied.

A decent beer but the hop flavor is what stopped me. Not sure what it is but there is a sticky cloyingly sweet flavor and aroma that lowers the enjoyment and drinkability of the beer. I enjoyed A Little Sumpin' Sumpin', but the extra takes a step back in my opinion. (754 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 fl oz bottle with appealing label art and branded black (not Green!) pry-off pressure cap acquired at Whole Foods' HQ and served cold into a snifter at low altitude in Austin, TX. Reviewed live. No style is indicated on the bottle or on Lagunitas' website, but I'm reviewing it as an imperial pale wheat ale.

8.50% ABV. 64 IBU.

Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 1 finger wide. White colour. Not real creamy or soft-looking. Average thickness. Consistency and complexion are both average. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Retention is average - about 2 minutes.

BODY: Clear translucent orange copper of nice vibrance. Clean; no yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible. Ripe.

Appears well-carbonated. Looks good for the style.

AROMA: Dank floral hop aromatics. Vague citrus fruit. It's not too juicy or zesty, but it comes off pretty fresh. A bit grassy. I'm not finding any real piney notes, nor is it real oily or herbal. A kiss of tropical character - mango, grapefruit, maybe tangerine. Much to my chagrin, a hint of pineapple is detectable (a note I despise in a hoppy beer). Rindy bitterness emerges as it comes to temperature.

Pale malts, wheat, and nectary hop notes lend it an aptly sweet base.

Floral hop character dominates. This mellow aroma suggests a pleasant, balanced brew with plenty of flavour. It's a moderately intense aroma overall.

No yeast character, alcohol, or spices are detectable.

TASTE: Ugh - the pineapple is noticeable on the climax, and I find it repulsive - especially combined with the sweet bready malt base. I'd much prefer that the wheat and pale malts be the foundation, but that pesky bready malt character is hard to ignore. The pineapple ruins the hop profile, which would otherwise be quite pleasant: superbly well executed floral hop notes, some pleasant nectary character, and tropical passionfruit, mango, and hints of tangerine. Some grapefruit and rindy bitterness in there too. It's a bit grassy, but I wouldn't call it dank, herbal, or oily per se. I'd like more of a nectary emphasis.

No yeast character or spices come through in the taste. Unfortunately, the alcohol is noticeable, which is unpleasant when combined with the pineapple specifically. There's nothing that turns me off more in an IPA or hoppy wheat ale than boozy pineapple notes.

While the balance needs work, and I'm not real impressed with the flavour profile as-is, there are some great elements here. It boasts plenty of complexity for an imperial pale wheat ale, and there's no lack of flavour. It's not real subtly executed, but it has a definite cohesion. If not for the obnoxious pineapple, this build would likely seem gestalt.

TEXTURE: Lightly coarse, wet, overcarbonated, crisp, medium-bodied, thick, and unrefreshing. It drags a bit on the palate, roughly scratching the palate. Overall presence on the palate is nice, but this isn't without its flaws. A smoother, lighter, more refreshing texture would lend itself more naturally to this taste. I'm not big on the noticeable alcohol warmth either.

OVERALL: Absolutely a drinkable ale - even if I do dislike some aspects of it. Though it clearly doesn't cater to my personal preferences, it has definite quality and was carefully brewed. Not what I hoped for given how much I love Little Sumpin' Sumpin', but by no means a bad brew from Lagunitas - just not one I personally can fully enjoy. It doesn't its ABV all that well. I think every fan of Lagunitas would do well to try it, but it's far from world class. What I do find interesting is the relative lack of Lagunitas' signature "hop extract" taste.

C+ (3,723 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.7%

Saw a bottle, bought the bottle... drank the bottle.

- Nice orange hazy brew with a fizzy white head, left lace all about.. a very pretty brew.

- Floral and citrus hops galore.. and smelling a lot like all of their other bomber offerings... with they ever brew something that smells and tastes different? Maybe use a different hop or something?

- Is this Hop Stoopid? Perhaps just a bit more bitter on top of the overdone citrus and tea-like hopping... extract overkill, and sweet.. as if sugar or poprocks were added. I would love to see them try some different hops for a change. This brew is too close to Hop Stoopid. Leaves a sweet sugary film on the lips... like smoking a flavored cigarette.

- Bit oily and sticky.... leaves an earthy grass-like hop aftertaste... a little funky.

- Overall is somewhat drinkable, but the flavor is overdone, and just a bit too much for me. If I wanted a funky earthy hop driven citrus overkill of a brew... I would just grab an India Pelican Ale.. (991 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -21%

This came highly recommended from the staff at Martys in Newton. this is a good looking beer, showing a glowing orange color, with a finger of white heading. Smell of hops, wheat and some lighter stone fruits. Flavor is very hop forward in the beginning, but ends with the wheat somewhere in the mix. Not really too bitter, more of a decent mix between bitter and sweet. Mouthfeel is moderately heavy, and some notes of alcohol make their way through. I had no issue clearing off the bottle, however I am not sure I would get it again. Final thoughts are that this beer is pretty good, although not nearly as much as the Martys staff said. I was not the least bit impressed by the Lil Sumpin Sumpin available in six packs. This is an improvement, but still nothing to go hunting down. I am more of a fan of the Hop Stoopid. Anyway, give it a try, and put some extra sharp cheddar next to it. (891 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -20.8%

For a DIPA, this thing is light-lookin'. Aside from the big foamy top, it could pass for a pilsner. The froth is good and lacing is present, but this looks like it represents what to all of us is a concern: the dilution of Imperial IPAs.

The smell is hop extract. These Lagunitas beers are all seeming the same to me, and I'm trusting the extract less and less. My initial experience with Hop Stoopid was awesome; Little Sumpin Sumpin was good but difficult to differentiate. The smell of Sumpin Extra is still no different--it smells like Hop Stoopid (i.e. extract), but we're encountering the law of diminishing marginal value.

With this one, I'm presently surprised by apparent maltiness in a DIPA. I've got to be wrong because the beer looks so light, and it is an Imperial IPA...but I actually detect some balance. If I let me skepticism and negatively skewed attitude take hold again, I reckon it might be hop fade that produces this result. It tastes purty good, so I'll rate it good; nevertheless, as winter approaches, I'm more and more convinced that this year's hops have run their course. Football is upon us and I look forward to January not only for playoffs, but Hopslam. Pardon me, for I have digressed....

For a DIPA especially, it's far from bitter. In fact, this extract with which I've become familiar through Lagunitas provides a sweetness uncharacteristic of most DIPAs. Still, the hoppy beers from Lagunitas remain eerily similar. It feels like the others. I like it, but I can't keep giving it top-notch credit when it keeps reemerging under different names: -0.5 for (lack of) originality.

I don't want to keep buying the same beer disguised in a different label. It's a wee bit different than Hop Stoopid, but that's a phrase I attribute more to Highland Brewery in Asheville than Lagunitas in Sonoma County. Bottom line: if I want a little sumpin' from Lagunitas, I'll stick with Hop Stoopid. (1,923 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Four ounce sample, consumed 2009/11/14 at the Hollywood Brewfest.

Clear, honey/copper colored beer with very fine, one finger off-white head.

Aroma is slightly soapy but mainly floral.

Flavor is interesting - massively hoppy as expected, but with subtle touches of honeysuckle and a spicy edge (cinnamon?). I couldn't discern enough malt flavor to comment on it.

Dry finish with bitterness that lingers forever and a day.

This is not a beer I am enamored of; DIPAs are often quite drinkable due to their balance between strong malt and huge hop presence. This one is almost all hops and so not terribly drinkable to me. (625 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -18.4%

Bomber poured into a .5L mug.

A: Eh. Golden colored, thin fizzy head that didn't stick around long.

S: Tart, hoppy. Maybe a little spicy.

T: Too damn sweet. It starts out a bit like a Sierra Nevada, a strong up-front floral hop flavor. But then it's sweet. It's not sugary, or overwhelmingly sweet, but the finish of the beer is pretty much ruined by it. That said, it doesn't taste -bad-. It's just disappointing.

M: Medium-thin. Nothing special here, but nothing to detract from the beer either.

D: I'm on the fence here. This beer even at its relatively high alcohol content would be very drinkable if not for some of its negative flavor characteristics. That said, if you set one in front of me, I wouldn't turn it away. (729 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours slightly hazy golden/orange color with nice looking white head. Smells like a shitload of grapefruit blended with pine needles. Tastes like...a shitload of grapefruit blended with pine needles. Though there is a fair amount of malt here to partially balance things out. Fairly bitter, but a tad sweet. So not the driest ipa ever. Body is fairly thick with lots of carbonation. It's rare that I want to drink very much of an IPA, and this isn't one of those beers that makes me want to keep drinking. (505 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%

Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Extra

A- Honey yellow. Moderate lacy head.

S- Fairly strong simple hops aroma.

T- Bitter, piney hops on the attack, with a medium-light bodied malt on the mid-palate. A thin, slightly sour finish.

M, D- A straightforward IPA with a good shot of additional bitterness, but without the extra malt to balance it. Without major flaws, but it did not compel me to want to repeat it. Easily drinkable, but not inspiring. (443 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Found a bomber of this puppy at Hi-Time Liquor...not sure how old it is...but hell, I'm still going to review it anyways. Poured into a Bruery tulip and reviewed with the help of the very lovely Aimstatus.

A: A golden/light copper body that supported both a frothy white hued head and mild lacing.

S: Tropical fruits, light bodied malts, and some citrus hop aroma.

T: Sweet with an alcoholic taste upfront that in some ways burns the palate the way spicy food does...so it was hard to pinpoint any additional flavors. If I had to describe these minute nodes, I would say they consisted of resin hop bitterness and pepper-like spices.

M: Slightly drying, mild carbonation, and I feel I need a glass of water after a few sips.

D: There was something I really liked about this beer...but again, there was something I disliked about as well. Overall, an above average tasting beverage that never seemed to quench my thirst.

Overall: I prefer the younger sibling, A little sumpin sumpin, over this brew. Cheers! (1,018 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -17.4%

22oz bomber. Pours orange with a big white head. Nice lacing....left clumps on the side of the glass.

Aroma is grapefruit, pine, light caramel.

Flavor is big on grapefruit and pine, orange, some caramel malt, some sweetness, bitter resin finish. Has that Lagunitas "kick" to it.

Mouthfeel is a little sticky, medium carbonation.

Nice one overall. (350 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a clear honey straw color with a short dense creamy head that settles into a light ring and left a small wall of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is of a sweet honey malt. A bit too sweet. Some tropical fruit notes from the hops; big pineapple and apricot presence.

The taste is strong with the tropical fruit notes. Big pineapple and overripe mango. Some apricot and pepper hop notes as well. The malt is sweet and has honey notes. The combination of the tropical fruit hop notes and the sweet malt lead to a very sweet beer. The bitterness from the hops helps offset this but it is a bit too sweet for my liking.

Moderate body with prickly carbonation. Quite sweet on the palate but its not cloying as there is enough of a bitter offset. Almost sticky but not quite.

This beer walks a fine line on being too sweet and undrinkable. It doesn't get there but I much rather have the regular version of this beer or the Sucks! The malt is a bit too beefy and sweet. I figure it is the bigger wheat malt bill. (1,025 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Great clean tasting IPA, but I am not crazy about the hops in this one. For whatever reason it comes across a little to orangey and lemon noted. Not much balance in the malt backbone here. Its enjoyable but there are plenty of other IPA's that I would pick up before this one. Worth a try if you like IPA's because this one is made very well. (344 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

On tap at Eli's during the Dating Game. My editor was being set up with Hoagie's wife's friend Laura. A little too sweet for me. A very solid double ipa but I prefer hop bombs. While there is a lot of nice grapefruit bitterness there is an overwhelming syrupy sweetness to it. The individual components could have been a bit tighter. I'm knit picking here but at this stage in the game I expect a lot from a double ipa to bring it to that A,A+ level. Just like Laura for The Larse... this one really didn't do it for me. It didn't move once throughout the whole pint. (567 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

A- Pours a crystal clear tangerine hue with a small, off white head that leaves lacing on the way down.

S- Smells very sweet, almost all malt with some light floral notes.

T- A very malt forward DIPA. A strong wave of light fruits washes over the palate topped off with piney hops that leave a little bit of a bitter taste.

M- Thick with lots of carbonation.

D- I didn't enjoy this one very much. I feel like this is the prime example of a DIPA being too malt forward. (472 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -16.2%

Light copper, hazy body. Great thick finger of head with lots of lacing.

Much maltier and boozier than I expected from a Double IPA. The hops are there, but they don't show up nearly enough.

Initially very sweet, then turning tannic and almost astringent in the end. The hops are also there in the end, but only as bitter, no real hop complexity.

Nicely drying, low carbonation which I like. Pretty full mouthfeel overall.

Not bad, but not an Imperial IPA. Not enough hop representation happening for that. Maybe an imperial copper ale? (540 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Worthy Burger. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Golden clear body. Nice white head. Sticky lacing inside. Retains a thick collar.

Smell - Lots of simcoe, I think. Grapefruit and pungent garlic. Sweetness, too.

Taste - Grapefruit very prominent. Then caramel sweetness dominates. Too much for me. That simcoe flavor lingers past the sweetness. Mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Too sweet and sugary for me. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Way too sweet. But the hop flavor is good. (505 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a clear pale yellow-orange with a medium size white head, and very good lacing.

smell is of orange peel, some spice, ash, floral, and some hops.

taste of grapefruit hops, orange peel, spice, and some caramel, ends nicely bitter.

overall a very nice imperial IPA (270 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

a - pours a bright golden color, big ivory head with great retention and lacing, pretty clear on the first pour

s - grapefruit and alcohol are the dominant aromas, a bit of malt and bread creeps into the aroma as well

t - big citrus hop flavors with well-balanced bitterness and sweetness up front, mid-palate has more sweet maltiness mixed in with the citrus, finish is once again sweeter than I would expect, but with a strong hoppy bitterness to balance it out, slightly hot

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, fairly dry finish but not too dry for a DIPA, some alcohol warming

d - more drinkable than many big DIPAs, but still not something you'd want to be drinking all night, not all that complex and/or interesting (730 characters)

A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company