A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

A Little Sumpin' Extra! AleA Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-23-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Philip_Stanhope

07-23-2014 00:48:04 | More by Philip_Stanhope
ktrillionaire

2.38/5  rDev -43.7%

A – It pours a hazy orange-amber with a moderate off-white head. Thin sticky lacing clings.

S – The aromatics are generally grapefruit-y, overripe citrus and a thickly sweet malt. It smells a tad off-balance.

T – It tastes way off-balance. A ton of grapefruit rind flavors, sweet caramel, and hot alcohol just clash. They just trainwreck.

M – Foamy and full.

D – This is one of the only times I have ever referred to alcohol tasting too strong; it is seldom an issue for me. But when a beer is unbalanced, any element can be irking.

02-26-2010 00:31:04 | More by ktrillionaire
UA8

2.75/5  rDev -35%

Pours a hazy orangey amber body with a huge chunky beige head which settles out into thick lacing and puddly foam.

Scents of funky orange peel and bicuity yeast and dryish malt.

A bit harsh with very muddled malts and stale tasting citrus-orange hops notes. Finishes with a bitter herbal/ chemical taste.

Medium body and carbonation.

Overall a great disappointment after I enjoyed a lil sumpin sumpin so much. Just kinda over bitter and stale tasting. I would attribute this to age but there's no freshness date and the bottle showed no sign of sitting around label looked new and no dust etc. I'll likely revisit this when I go to the brewery and re review if things are different.

04-26-2010 16:36:14 | More by UA8

xk6m6m5x

06-29-2014 02:31:28 | More by xk6m6m5x
beertunes

Washington

Well just by looking at the numbers, you can tell I think that this an average Imperial IPA. Color was a slightly hazy, golden straw. Not much head or retention. A typical hop aroma and flavor. Body?, yup, just about what you expect. Drinkability is what Imperial IPAs are expected be at, given the strength and tongue numbing aspects of the style. Not a bad beer, I'll have it again, but it seems to represent what Lagunitas has become. I used to look forward to trying new brews from them, but lately they just seem to be going through the motions.

09-23-2009 22:15:17 | More by beertunes
victory4me

11-15-2011 19:01:45 | More by victory4me
bridges2l82

07-11-2014 23:52:25 | More by bridges2l82
claminat420

3.03/5  rDev -28.4%

A- poured a nice transparent golden color with alil white foamy head. little lacing.

S- a light candy scent backed up with some hops.

T- lightly sweet with a nice little hop attack. nothing to crazy for a double ipa (hop attack)

M- light to medium bodied. nice carbonation.

D- could drink a bottle then it's on to something next.

Overall- i liked the regular lil sumpin ale better than this one. not to shabby tho.

09-29-2009 04:39:02 | More by claminat420
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.08/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a two finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Clear light amber color. Nose is pine hops. Flavor is strong pine hop, hoping for a little caramel, don't find any. No doubt this has high IBUs. Label puts the ABV at 7.5%. $2.25 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

09-09-2010 22:25:23 | More by jdhilt
BeerSox

3.13/5  rDev -26%

22oz bottle into pint glass.

Clear honey color with just a bit of haze. A one finger head slowly settles to a thick cap, with a solid wall of lacing being left behind.

A very thick hop aroma with a very unique flavor. Very leafy with only a touch of citrus.

The flavor has some light grapefruit notes, but grapefruit seems to jump out in front. There is also a light sticky sugary flavor, that's also in the aroma, that's slightly cloying and lowers the drinkability. Full bodied.

A decent beer but the hop flavor is what stopped me. Not sure what it is but there is a sticky cloyingly sweet flavor and aroma that lowers the enjoyment and drinkability of the beer. I enjoyed A Little Sumpin' Sumpin', but the extra takes a step back in my opinion.

10-11-2009 22:43:11 | More by BeerSox
Docer

3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

Saw a bottle, bought the bottle... drank the bottle.

- Nice orange hazy brew with a fizzy white head, left lace all about.. a very pretty brew.

- Floral and citrus hops galore.. and smelling a lot like all of their other bomber offerings... with they ever brew something that smells and tastes different? Maybe use a different hop or something?

- Is this Hop Stoopid? Perhaps just a bit more bitter on top of the overdone citrus and tea-like hopping... extract overkill, and sweet.. as if sugar or poprocks were added. I would love to see them try some different hops for a change. This brew is too close to Hop Stoopid. Leaves a sweet sugary film on the lips... like smoking a flavored cigarette.

- Bit oily and sticky.... leaves an earthy grass-like hop aftertaste... a little funky.

- Overall is somewhat drinkable, but the flavor is overdone, and just a bit too much for me. If I wanted a funky earthy hop driven citrus overkill of a brew... I would just grab an India Pelican Ale..

11-06-2009 19:16:40 | More by Docer
Sebz33

07-20-2014 05:25:10 | More by Sebz33
Kevinpitts

06-14-2014 23:38:33 | More by Kevinpitts
charlzm

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Four ounce sample, consumed 2009/11/14 at the Hollywood Brewfest.

Clear, honey/copper colored beer with very fine, one finger off-white head.

Aroma is slightly soapy but mainly floral.

Flavor is interesting - massively hoppy as expected, but with subtle touches of honeysuckle and a spicy edge (cinnamon?). I couldn't discern enough malt flavor to comment on it.

Dry finish with bitterness that lingers forver and a day.

This is not a beer I am enamored of; DIPAs are often quite drinkable due to their balance between strong malt and huge hop presence. This one is almost all hops and so not terribly drinkable to me.

11-24-2009 02:15:44 | More by charlzm
jamie2dope

3.33/5  rDev -21.3%

This came highly recommended from the staff at Martys in Newton. this is a good looking beer, showing a glowing orange color, with a finger of white heading. Smell of hops, wheat and some lighter stone fruits. Flavor is very hop forward in the beginning, but ends with the wheat somewhere in the mix. Not really too bitter, more of a decent mix between bitter and sweet. Mouthfeel is moderately heavy, and some notes of alcohol make their way through. I had no issue clearing off the bottle, however I am not sure I would get it again. Final thoughts are that this beer is pretty good, although not nearly as much as the Martys staff said. I was not the least bit impressed by the Lil Sumpin Sumpin available in six packs. This is an improvement, but still nothing to go hunting down. I am more of a fan of the Hop Stoopid. Anyway, give it a try, and put some extra sharp cheddar next to it.

10-01-2009 23:20:35 | More by jamie2dope
marvin213

3.38/5  rDev -20.1%

For a DIPA, this thing is light-lookin'. Aside from the big foamy top, it could pass for a pilsner. The froth is good and lacing is present, but this looks like it represents what to all of us is a concern: the dilution of Imperial IPAs.

The smell is hop extract. These Lagunitas beers are all seeming the same to me, and I'm trusting the extract less and less. My initial experience with Hop Stoopid was awesome; Little Sumpin Sumpin was good but difficult to differentiate. The smell of Sumpin Extra is still no different--it smells like Hop Stoopid (i.e. extract), but we're encountering the law of diminishing marginal value.

With this one, I'm presently surprised by apparent maltiness in a DIPA. I've got to be wrong because the beer looks so light, and it is an Imperial IPA...but I actually detect some balance. If I let me skepticism and negatively skewed attitude take hold again, I reckon it might be hop fade that produces this result. It tastes purty good, so I'll rate it good; nevertheless, as winter approaches, I'm more and more convinced that this year's hops have run their course. Football is upon us and I look forward to January not only for playoffs, but Hopslam. Pardon me, for I have digressed....

For a DIPA especially, it's far from bitter. In fact, this extract with which I've become familiar through Lagunitas provides a sweetness uncharacteristic of most DIPAs. Still, the hoppy beers from Lagunitas remain eerily similar. It feels like the others. I like it, but I can't keep giving it top-notch credit when it keeps reemerging under different names: -0.5 for (lack of) originality.

I don't want to keep buying the same beer disguised in a different label. It's a wee bit different than Hop Stoopid, but that's a phrase I attribute more to Highland Brewery in Asheville than Lagunitas in Sonoma County. Bottom line: if I want a little sumpin' from Lagunitas, I'll stick with Hop Stoopid.

09-13-2009 18:58:26 | More by marvin213
waltonc

Colorado

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours slightly hazy golden/orange color with nice looking white head. Smells like a shitload of grapefruit blended with pine needles. Tastes like...a shitload of grapefruit blended with pine needles. Though there is a fair amount of malt here to partially balance things out. Fairly bitter, but a tad sweet. So not the driest ipa ever. Body is fairly thick with lots of carbonation. It's rare that I want to drink very much of an IPA, and this isn't one of those beers that makes me want to keep drinking.

12-01-2009 01:42:22 | More by waltonc
WhiteOak

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -19.6%

Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Extra

A- Honey yellow. Moderate lacy head.

S- Fairly strong simple hops aroma.

T- Bitter, piney hops on the attack, with a medium-light bodied malt on the mid-palate. A thin, slightly sour finish.

M, D- A straightforward IPA with a good shot of additional bitterness, but without the extra malt to balance it. Without major flaws, but it did not compel me to want to repeat it. Easily drinkable, but not inspiring.

02-13-2010 00:15:01 | More by WhiteOak
Epicedion

3.43/5  rDev -18.9%

Bomber poured into a .5L mug.

A: Eh. Golden colored, thin fizzy head that didn't stick around long.

S: Tart, hoppy. Maybe a little spicy.

T: Too damn sweet. It starts out a bit like a Sierra Nevada, a strong up-front floral hop flavor. But then it's sweet. It's not sugary, or overwhelmingly sweet, but the finish of the beer is pretty much ruined by it. That said, it doesn't taste -bad-. It's just disappointing.

M: Medium-thin. Nothing special here, but nothing to detract from the beer either.

D: I'm on the fence here. This beer even at its relatively high alcohol content would be very drinkable if not for some of its negative flavor characteristics. That said, if you set one in front of me, I wouldn't turn it away.

11-02-2009 05:47:52 | More by Epicedion
OlieIPA

3.45/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Found a bomber of this puppy at Hi-Time Liquor...not sure how old it is...but hell, I'm still going to review it anyways. Poured into a Bruery tulip and reviewed with the help of the very lovely Aimstatus.

A: A golden/light copper body that supported both a frothy white hued head and mild lacing.

S: Tropical fruits, light bodied malts, and some citrus hop aroma.

T: Sweet with an alcoholic taste upfront that in some ways burns the palate the way spicy food does...so it was hard to pinpoint any additional flavors. If I had to describe these minute nodes, I would say they consisted of resin hop bitterness and pepper-like spices.

M: Slightly drying, mild carbonation, and I feel I need a glass of water after a few sips.

D: There was something I really liked about this beer...but again, there was something I disliked about as well. Overall, an above average tasting beverage that never seemed to quench my thirst.

Overall: I prefer the younger sibling, A little sumpin sumpin, over this brew. Cheers!

10-14-2009 17:32:34 | More by OlieIPA