A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-23-2009

Reviews: 548 | Hads: 2,702
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Golden with hints towards orange. Nice looking white head - par for the DIPA course. Great look, great lacing. Heavily hoppy nose leaning towards citrics over herbals. Some biscuity sweetness buried in there, but that's not the star, clearly.

Damn. Seriously, damn. Huge citric flavor. The bready, biscuity malts are destroyed early in the show, leaving the powerfully grapefruit- and orange-zesty notes from what I assume are a bevy of C-hops. Tropical and even medicinal overtones (if you have glaucoma, that is). Two tons of flavor.

Great mouthfeel, everything is spot-on. Great seasonal, and one of the most unexpectedly outstanding beers I've had in a hot minute. If you see a tap bearing the Extra! tag, hit it up fast.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

This bottle was from Fetus which I was excited about getting. Poured from 22oz bottle review from notes.

A- Pours a light hazed golden orange color. My buddies beer looked a little more hazed than mine but no complaints. Good 2 finger dirty white head that leaves nice sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Big citrus hops in the front of the nose. With this comes light caramel malts in the background. The hops pretty much take care of the background scents. Very hop forward smelling.

T- This beer is very good. Nice citrus hops (oragne and little mango) come through the front end of this beer. There is even a light bitter hop I think in the middle of the beer which cover up the malts in this beer. The ending is more citrusy hops which is a nice welcome. I expected more of a bitterness but never got it.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was dead on for this beer. Left my palate in a citrusy hop mess after sipping on it. Felt hop resin on my tongue and teeth long after the beer was gone. nice clean taste in the mouth and with the aftertaste.

D- This beer drinks very well. I was done with my half of the beer before I even knew it. Not a good thing because I didn't bring my other bottle from mjl21 a.k.a. Mike. Bleh...

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours slightly hazy golden/orange color with nice looking white head. Smells like a shitload of grapefruit blended with pine needles. Tastes like...a shitload of grapefruit blended with pine needles. Though there is a fair amount of malt here to partially balance things out. Fairly bitter, but a tad sweet. So not the driest ipa ever. Body is fairly thick with lots of carbonation. It's rare that I want to drink very much of an IPA, and this isn't one of those beers that makes me want to keep drinking.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

22 fl. oz. bomber poured into snifter.

A: Pours with a slightly hazy deep golden/orange color capped by a thin off-white head with moderate retention. Delicate lacing.

S: Perfection. An absolute intense blast of american hops right away, tons of citrus. Light scent of pale malts in the back.

T: Again, blown away by the incredible amount of hops that actually come through in the flavor more so than all out bitterness, although some bitterness does linger in the aftertaste. Notes of sweet oranges and lemons, backed by a bit of pale malts.

M/D: Just the right body for a double IPA, smooth and carbonated well. Alcohol is hardly detectable and this one is dangerously drinkable.

Really didn't expect this one to be so awesome! Just leave it to Lagunitas to leave you speechless, I guess.

A- Classic clear golden orange color. Good finger of head and the lacing looks to be super sticky so far just seeing the head fade away. Sticky spider webs all the way down. Great lookin' brew.

S- I was able to smell this before I even poured it. After the pour my nose was engulfed in the wonderfulness that is this brew. Strong citrus that overpowers everything else in the area, just lots of pungent fresh grapefruit and lemon. Smells amazing.

T/M- Oh.... My... Goodness... All of the flavors are exploding in my mouth, I almost can't take it. It is just the perfect amount of bitterness combined with the maltyness and fruityness and oh so fresh tasting. At first it seems to have a extreme bite, but then it goes down so smooth and there is very little bitter aftertaste. No alcohol burn to speak of and it is not boozy at all. I don't want this to ever end. To me, this brew is a very strong contender for Pliny the Elder in terms of my favorite DIPA, this really is a fantastic beer.

D- This is likely because of the Taste and Mouthfeel being so good, but I could drink this forever, let alone throughout a night of a drinking. I am having trouble finding anything wrong with this beer. This will be my very first perfect score and I believe it is most deserving. I don't know if this beer got me at the right moment or what, but I feel as if I am in heaven at this very moment. I just hope I can find more of this beer somewhere I want more before it's gone.

Thank you Lagunitas for satisfying my palate way beyond my expectations.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Pours a nice gold with a massive, long lasting head and tons of lacing. Strong aroma of grapefruit and a little resin. Quite full and pleasing. Wow, the initial flavor very closely follows the aroma. I expected over powering hops but it ends up surprisingly balanced. It still favors the hops, mind you, but also has some sweetness too. I can feel the alcohol in my stomach, but it doesn't have a strong presence in the flavor. Mouth feel is also dead center, with medium carbonation. Overall very nice indeed.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

A light coppery gold with a huge head and good retention. Scads of lace all around the glass. A light cloudiness and avary little carbonation.

Smell is very bright and citrusy. Healthy sweet maltiness. Dinner rolls and sourdough bread. Sweet orange and clover honey. A touch of grapefruited hops.

Taste is light and delicious. A perfect balance between a goodly amount of malt in the core and a superb blend of hops that is so artful that it seem like there are less of them than there actually is. The is a large amount of hops here but it doesn't kick you in the taste buds. It just knock you over with how good they are. This is one smooth and delicious beer. The malt is just a touch lighter than most DIPAs and it makes all the difference. Feel is quenching and supple. Mild and finely effervescent carbonation is just right. Is this a DIPA? It drinks like a perfect IPA or maybe a GREAT pale ale. Smooth and satisfying

Drinkability is way off the charts. This beer is an undercover intoxicator. It goes donw like a session ale and then knocks you off your feet.

This is a great DIPA. i

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours bright burnished yellow with clingy white head and sheets of lace. Nose is pure pineapple; floral notes as it warms. More tropical fruit malts with grapefruit and cedar hops. Pine forest floor hit at the end. Medium and sticky, heat's there but not overwhelming.

So sweet! Drinkability takes a hit because it's actually too easy sipping for the ABV - danger! Nice way to go a different direction - pale and fruity - with a big hop profile.

Edit: Drinkability is now Overall, and overall this is gorgeous! +.5%

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased At: Riley's (Madison, WI)

Appearance: Pours a nice brassy gold color with a finger and a half of head. There's a nice stream of bubbles climbing their way up to the top of my tulip glass; it's enough effervescence to keep a thin layer of light tan head on the top of my glass. The amount of lacing is fantastic, thick sheets of sticky beer are wrapping two hundred and seventy degrees around my glass. The only spot that isn't covered in lace is where I've been sipping.

Smell: As soon as I cracked open the cap I knew this was a fresh bottle of an IIPA. The hop aromas absolutely poured of the bottle. I transferred it into my tulip glass, and now I can get a much better jab at some of the notes. The nose is picking up largely earthy herbal notes. There's not a lot of citrus in the nose. There's a blend of pine, soil and grass, and just a slight grapefruit note sitting beneath all of the earthy notes.

Taste: The palate picks up sweet and sticky caramel malt right off the bat. As the malt backbone drifts away I'm left with a big wave of earthy hops, including all of the same notes listed above. Once the beer washes away, citrus notes make their debut. A blend of grapefruit and orange peel linger on the tongue. I'd actually like to see just a few dashes of the hops used in the boil taken out and added for dry hopping. There is just a hint of alcohol present near the finish of the tasting.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer, just slightly above the average body for an IIPA. A nice crisp carbonation makes it easy to drink. Hop oils are lining the inside of my mouth, which is always a plus.

Drinkability: Lagunitas always has a fair price on their beer. $4.99 for this bomber. A nice aroma and flavor profile make this a great beer that I'd love to see turn into a regular offering. Lagunitas, as always, well done.

4.49/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Solid head on a hard pour, the color of wet hay, the foam top settles into a rocky, cottony head - 4.25, S: The aromas are solid hops with a hint of clove, lots of citrus with a woodsy smell as well, I hate to use the word delicate - but it is apt in describing the wonderful use of hops, I'm guessing Centennial played a part in the hop build, one of the better noses on an IPA that I've smelled in some time - 5.00, T: Bitter but not harsh, like the nose there is quite a bit of citrus in this one - I get grapefruit and a touch of pine, there is also a slight grainy sweetness - 4.25, M: Quite creamy and even silky - 4.50, D: One of the more drinkable IPAs I've had in some time, thumbs up to Lagunitas - 4.50

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

A little Sumpin Extra is a MASTERPIECE. This is as good a DIPA as there is on the market. Tons of hop aroma and flavor. Delicious, ripe citrus, no resinous piney flavors. Nice citrus aroma. The drinkability is amazing. No trace of the high ABV. I could drink this all day. One of the best beers I've had in a long time. Totally impressed.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Pours a clear yellowy orange with a fluffy stark white head that retains well and leaves good lacing.

Nose is full of WC hops, smells like it might be a touch older than desired, but the hops are still pretty potent and definitely WC in nature.

Hmm. Interesing for sure. The hops aren't quite as intense as i wanted them to be, but there is more to this beer than just that. There is a floral almost spice like note amongst it as well. Hops are still the driving force in this beer. Good bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is ideal for a DIPA.

Drinkability is also quite solid for the abv. drinks almost like a single IPA. Very good here.

Overall, a very nice stapleish big IPA. Very drinkable and very flavorful. Not as exciting as some better CA IPAs, doesn't quite get up to that "next level", but still very nice. Good beer.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Bomber into a Brooklyn tulip. Around $4-$5, always extremely reasonable Lagunitas prices. Does this bomber as it empties feel lighter than others for some reason? Hmmm.

Can't believe this is review 707 for me. Seems like I just joined BA last week.

Appearance: A bubbly peach-orange combination with a lot of frothy bubbles floating to the top. Head floats above the body but there doesn't seem to be as much retention as I'd hoped from the beautiful looking carbonation and color, which saves it.

Smell: Hugely aromatic, effervescent, and pungent. Big citrus juiciness from the hops, with orange and lemon at the forefront, but some nice lingering strawberry, puckering tangerine, and sour cherry. The more DIPAs I try like this, the more I keep saying to myself, "This reminds me of..." without knowing exactly what it is. So is this breaking new ground? Well, no. But is it reminiscent of some DIPAs i've probably given a 5 in previous reviews? I would be willing to say yes. There may even be some flowery rose aromas also. Pretty awesome stuff, from right out of the fridge until it warms, and always changing.

Taste: Some sharp cheddar brings out the hoppiness of this brew, which is one of its best aspects, but the balance is still there with all the fruit and citrus. Sour cherry and grapefruit combine at the finish, and before that is where you get the kind of tangerine, strawberry, and orange combination. Tons of juicy and ripe fruit all over the place, but with a hop backbone to balance it out extremely well.

Mouthfeel: Nicely bubbly and extremely tingly in a very compact and concentrated way, which I was hoping for by the look of things. And yet it remains medium-bodied because of that and is far from syrupy or sticky in any way.

Drinkability: Lagunitas keeps producing quality brew after quality brew, and they manage to keep everything, somehow, fairly cheap, which to me is pretty insane. Even though it's fairly high in ABV, this is extremely easy to take down by yourself if you're all about the flavorful and hoppy brews. Hopefully they decide to make it year round. I'll be on board for it as a staple if that happens.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Lightish golden/orange and just a hint of haze. Two fingers of slightly off-white head about the consistency of whipped egg whites. As has been mentioned, lots of lacing. Lots of hops on the nose. Strong pine and then some orange. You also get a hint of some bready malts. Lots of resiny pine on the tongue. Hints of orange, but grapefruit is the predominant citrus. Just enough malt sweetness there to give a hint of balance. There's also a faint soapiness mixed in. I really didn't find the alcohol to be noticeable. Nice hint of sticky thickness. Yet, again Lagunitas hits a homer.

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Sumpin Sumpin Extra, on tap at Beer Run, Charlottesville, VA. Served in a traditional shaker pint.

Appearance: Arrives - or, is handed to me, as I see it being poured across the bar - a clear golden orange with one finger of dense, compact, tan head. The color is great, the head retention pretty excellent, and, as it recedes, it leaves great rings of delicate white lace, multiple times, doin' that great "every time you take a sip you see where the beer was before you took that sip" thing. Almost no carbonation to be seen, though. A great start nonetheless.

Aroma: Tons of light and sweet citrus notes - very orangey, lemon, and not in a pithy or pulpy way - with flourishes of caramel and lots of sweeter bready notes.

Taste: A huge bouquet of delicate floral and citrus notes, with flourishes and flashes of light grapefruit, heavy orange, middling lemon, and faint pine accompanied by moderate hop bitterness. All this over a sea of residual pale sweetness, hinting at sweet honey but with a kiss of roast.

Mouthfeel: This is a smooth, mildly carbonated brew, soft and a little oily, absolutely slick with hop juices. The slickness - when combined with the undercarbonation - makes for a very smooth but also incredibly dense, slightly offputting mouth.

Drinkability: Truly amazing lacing (I feel the need to mention this again) on a pungent if Simple Simple DIPA. Let's be clear - this is not a complex beer by any stretch of the imagination. But it's pungent and strikes a good combination among its various constituent components, much like Hop Stoopid manages to do. A solid west coast DIPA.

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Four ounce sample, consumed 2009/11/14 at the Hollywood Brewfest.

Clear, honey/copper colored beer with very fine, one finger off-white head.

Aroma is slightly soapy but mainly floral.

Flavor is interesting - massively hoppy as expected, but with subtle touches of honeysuckle and a spicy edge (cinnamon?). I couldn't discern enough malt flavor to comment on it.

Dry finish with bitterness that lingers forever and a day.

This is not a beer I am enamored of; DIPAs are often quite drinkable due to their balance between strong malt and huge hop presence. This one is almost all hops and so not terribly drinkable to me.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Surprised to see this one all the way out in RI/MA. 22oz bomber into standard Snoop Dogg pint.

A- Paler than I would have thought... but some of the best lacing. Rivals Leatherlips IPA for the best head/lacing I've seen. Fire-extinguisher-esque. Eggshell white and staying power for days.

S- Hops! Wow. Pure citrus/floral hops, not a smidgen of bitterness to be found.

T- Like Hop Rod Rye with a spoonful of sugar. Impressive hops, very intense. Captures the raw, octane quality of the hops. Orange zest, lemony, impossibly floral.... no bitterness to be found. Very tasty... if a bit too sweet. I keep telling myself it's too sweet in the first part of the sip, yet come around with the incredibly hoppy finish.

M- A bit sweet, but crisp, hoppy, and delicious.

D- Moderate. A bit too sweet for me, although I loved the hop profile... I will buy this again. Massive points for originality... have not found another beer like this.

Hell yeah, Lagunitas!

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Good West Coast Double IPA. Hoppy head shrinker...very tasty

Pours a light orange color with a medium size white head. Good retention and thick lacing.

Smell is floral hops. Strong and pronounced.

Taste is outstanding. Floral and piney hops...strong, bitter head shrinking hoppy goodness.

Mouthfeel is rich and bitter.

Drinkability is good at the level of finishing the bomber yourself. Any more would be counter-productive. Very tasty beer.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a orange-amber color with a three finger white head, with a good amount of retention.

Smells predominantly of orange and grapefruit, with some piney hops as a background, and a touch of sweet honeysuckle.

The taste is initially a strong hit of fruitiness and hops, but it is quickly balanced out by a bit of honey maltiness, with the same fruity hop slam rounding it out at the end.

Medium mouthfeel with a pretty good dose of carbonation.

This is my first experience with a Double IPA, and I really enjoyed it. It's a lot more balanced than one would think. Granted, it's still definitely not sessionable by any means, but for what it is, it's awesome.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Consumed 11/20

A: This beer pours a crystal clear copper color with a two finger white head. Head retains nicely leaving sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is big on hops! Floral and citrus dominate, with a mild hint of caramel backbone coming through. Alcohol is also present in the nose.

T: Taste starts with a burst of hop goodness. Healthy dose of citrus hops up front that is quickly balanced out but a surprisingly strong caramel malt presence. Much more malt in the body than is detectable in the nose and it works nicely to balance this beer. Finish is another big dose of hops, this time pine and floral notes hit the tongue to give a nice bite.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, oily feel with a semi-dry finish.

D: This is a nicely brewed beer, well balanced, easily drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

The beer builds a thick head out of the bottle and settles into a light straw color.

You can tell that there are definitely a few hops in there.

As the beer coats the mouth and palette it's obvious that there is indeed something extra in there - malt, alcohol, and hops. I'd place this with some other milder double IPAs. some alcohol tones come very late.

This is a great IPA but I'd never sign myself up for more than one, unless I have no place to go that evening.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Clear pale orange with swarms of small bubbles rising up quickly to an inch high head of dimpled and rippled foarm that lingers long.

Bright aroma of citrus, freshly opened orange accented by the rind, followed by grapefruit notes and honey sweetness.

Flavor matches the aroma well, lots of fresh and bright citrus, subtle piney notes and a subtle but noticeable honey malt backbone to round it out.

Rich and full mouthfeel, creamy carbonation, slight warmth in the cheeks, subtle vapor rising up the back of the nose. Great beer, very tasty.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz single from Wilbur's, around $4.50.

A: Gold in color with a stark white head, looks a bit like a lager, all in all a nice looking beer though. Nice clarity.

S: Resiny, piney, dank, grapefruit hops with a strong sweet malty undertone as well. So hops and baked goods. Sweet sort of bready tone underneath. Very nice.

T: Nice profiles of citrus fruits, pine, and a surprisingly minimal bitterness. A few flavors of fruit juice, maybe a bit of passion fruit. Malt is sweet, and a bit chewy even. Has just a bit of a saltyness to it as well. Pretty decent.

M: Fairly thick, minimal carbonation, even a bit chewy. Not too shabby at all. Fair amount of alcohol warmth.

D: Easy enough to drink, good flavors, strong flavors. Nice beer, but a little lackluster compared to other DIPAs. Still a good beer, just not quite at that "great" level. Very enjoyable.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle poured into my tulip glass. Pours a slightly hazy deep gold. Moderately aggressive pour yields a huge billowy ivory-colored head. Great retention. Tons of lace left behind after each sip. Beautiful. Tones of toffee, strong citrus, and hints of ginger. Great-smelling beer!

The mouth is moderately carbonated, almost bordering on crisp. As I drink this, it reminds me more of a standard IPA rather than a DIPA. Strong citrus flavors right off the bat. Moderate amount of bitterness in there; finishes lightly sweet with aspects of honey and butterscotch. This was a really great beer, it just needs to be re-styled a bit. I could drink this all night!

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Nice golden color brew here with a foamy white head, lots of lacing on the glass -- a nice start to a double IPA. Aroma is very solid, not quite as thick as some DIPAs, lots of citrus and floral notes. Taste is a bit thin but very good, citrusy but light. Except for the alcohol, this seems more like an American IPA that a double. Still very tasty and drinkable, quite smooth, with a smooth leafy citrus aftertaste, nice and bitter.

Not as overwhelming as a DIPA should be, but still a damn fine ale for any hophead.

A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company