A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by JohnGalt1 on 08-23-2009

Reviews: 561 | Ratings: 2,813
4.23/5  rDev +1%

On tap at the Rogue Ales Public House in San Fran. Had in Sept 2009.

Tastes stays in mouth throughout.

This is a Hop monster, crisp, citrus notes, great taste and drinkability. Great sticky lace that doesn't fade and leaves residual on the sidewall of the glass. Highly recommend this beer.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours an effervescent honey/amber color with 3 fingers of pearl colored head. Very good head retention & above average lacing

S: Leafy hops, breadyness,

T: Biscuitty malt, grapefruitty hops, & flinty dryness up front. Minty hops, a bit of pineapple & more biscuitty malt as this warms. Finishes with herbal & minty hops, just blasts the back of the throat & a touch of toffee

MF: Fairly chewy, moderate carbonation, good balance

Drinks very easy for the ABV & style, not a perfect DIPA, but no real faults either

3.91/5  rDev -6.7%

Wow, the first bit of pour looked like orange juice and as I poured more and more in to my snifter it took on the color of orange soda, maybe a shade darker. There was a beautifully thick one finger white head that leaves some of the most beautiful lacing on the glass I have ever seen.

Smell is like a bigger version of Little Sumpin' Sumpin'... very floral with some beautiful citrus zest, pineapple and grapefruit coming up behind it. If they made this a potpourri I would have it all over my house. It smells really good. The only thing lacking, in my opinion anyway, is a little bit of pine to round out the trio.

Super floral in the taste as well, a little too floral though as it's bordering soapy. There is some bitterness to it as well but I was hoping for a bit more. Based on the appearance and smell I feel a bit let down by the taste. I really dig super citrus and pine IPAs and I think there is a reason there aren't many super floral ones but I appreciate them doing it.

Nice medium body to it, just the right amount of carbonation. Feels good, man.

Easy enough to drink even though I'm not enjoying that strong floral flavor too much. Maybe the soup I just made will bring the taste up a bit more.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

A light golden copper color with a very healthy white head and a great patchwork of lacing. The aroma comes on with pleasant light grapefruit and floral hints. The flavor is quite a bit more forceful with thick piney hops and a grapefruit kick, biscuit caramel butterscotch touches in a mid to full bodied stick to your ribs dipa. There's a tart and slightly alcohol edge here, sweet and bright but a chewy brew that is midland drinkable. A substantial contribution from the Lagunitas beer gods!

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

22oz bottle poured into large goblets

Pours a bright golden orange with medium head and strong lacing. Smells bright and fruity and fresh, very citrus with a lot of pine.

Taste is very pleasant, malty sweetness and grapefruit sour and strong hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light and fresh, and very drinkable. Very nice beer.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Just an aside, I had 2 bombers and one of them had a very low fill, bellow the neck of the bomber and the other was slightly low.

Aroma is heavy with citrus hops, lots of grapefruit and very little malt. Just a hint of base malt. Yeast effects don't cut through the citrus either. One dimensional for sure.

Golden colored with some pretty big chill haze (clears up as it warms.) Nice initial white head fades to a thin wispy layer with a little bit of lacing.

But what i think is totally lacking in aroma and visuals is pretty well compensated in the flavor. There's a malt background that includes some brown sugar flavor, high hop bitterness and nice citrussy hop flavor. The aftertaste is a cool interplay of sweet caramel and orange citrus.

Mouthfeel is big but not really heavy so good for the style. Carbonation level is restrained but lively. There's a hint of alcohol warmth at the back of throat.

Nice DIPA in the standard Lagunitas vein in that it is definitely hop dominant but not just a hop bomb.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber bottle into my nonic Imperial pint glass. The ale appears a hazed muted golden yellow color with about an inch of fluffy off white foam. The head leaves a nice lace in its wake. Nose and flavors consist of citrus fruits such as tangerines, oranges, and grapefruits (both white and red)light lemon notes, as well as apricots, peaches, more grapefruit, and a bit of alcohol heat. Quite fruity to say the least with bittersweet notes from start to finish. Amply carbonated with a medium body at minimum. Overall pretty nice and certainly worth checking out if you have the chance.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Lagunitas a Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale is clear and dark golden with a thin white film that leaves tenacious foam on the glass. It's sweet and sugary smelling, with notes of dark fruit, maybe plum. It's smooth, sticky and pretty full bodied with a sharp finish. It's pretty huge. It's sweet and quite bitter. There's a peaty note in there. It has a long juniper finish. Wow. It's bold.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a nice hazy orange with a bubbly, sticky white head.

Lots of grapefruit on the nose. Some orange slice makes it in there as well, followed by some grassy hops. Overall, big grapefruit aroma.

Flavor follows suit with the aroma. Grapefruit dominates the flavor, being somewhat fruity and bitter, yet refreshing. A good amount of hops mix with the grapefruit to let you know that this is a DIPA, but they aren't overpowering. The malt base adds a little bit of sweetness, but not enough to wash out the hops, which is good.

Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, even with the hops and carbonation. Not as sticky as some DIPAs, but still pretty good.

Drinkability is easy, especially if you like a big wedge of grapefruit in your beer.

Overall, this is a nice DIPA. I wasn't blown away, but I would have it again. The aroma seemed a little weak, but then again, I don't know how old this bottle is, so the floral aromas associated with the hops may be somewhat faded. Anyways, if you like grapefruit oriented DIPAs, pick this guy up. You won't be disappointed.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a hazy light apricot body with some head and nice bubbling into a curved pint glass. Some lacing. Smells like pure, unadulterated hops. Like you crushed a bunch of hops in your hand and sniffed them (maybe with some sugar syrup). For an IPA, that's the best.

Tastes smooth, sweet like condensed flower nectar and sizeably bitter. Nice citrus twist in there. Appropriately small but pointed carbonation, making it easy to gulp. Almost medium-bodied. Just a little bready/malty at the end. Slightly grainy mouthfeel, slightly dry. Very drinkable. Supremely-refreshing and not at all overwhelming for an Imperial.

I likes. If the price is right, I will buy many more.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Great color; and the complexity on the head of this brew is a sight to behold.

S: Grapefruit, less hoppy than expected. Pineapple can be smelled and tasted as the beer warms. Overall a pleasant aroma that could be smelled from the moment this beer was cracked.

T: Not nearly as flavorful as I was expecting, though the 8 and 3/4 abv is very well masked in this beer.

MF/D: This beer was an easy drinking, good for a change, kind of a brew, though it's nothing I'd write home about.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big ol' bubbles make up this cratered, soapy looking two-finger head. Quite a few bubbles raging up to the cap, the color a hazy peach/sunset orange. Styrofoam-like lace clings to the glass within seconds of the head's slow deflation.

I love it when the aroma races to your nose the second the cap it popped, even before it's poured, and that's what happened here. Once in the glass and putting my sniffer closer, I get a welcoming blast of pine and grapefruit, both in equal measure. It's like sprigs of mint are placed inside the liquid, but they're not. Like a huge vat of citrus candy syrup.

Flavor is all the aroma promises. Bright, fresh, candy-like, fruity; tartness of citrus rind, light alcohol glow, and vibrant spiciness from the alcohol as well. For all the hops action here (72+ IBU) this isn't a hugely bitter double IPA. Faint salt in the finish; sugar-laced orange/grapefruit zest/peel action continue riding through right to the end.

Carbonation is rather zingy; this lacks the creaminess of others in the style, although there's a brightness to the feel--airy, springy, spritzy--that matches the shimmering glow of the cumulative flavors. I like it, and a 3.5 shouldn't be taken as bad,

Yeah, sumpin' special indeed. Had the texture been a little rounder, I'd be racin' out to get more, but I'm not complainin'. Kind of borders between IPA and 2xIPA, but who cares how its classified when it tastes this good. Super-drinkable, especially considering the style; would buy again in a heartbeat.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A-Sits upon a nice tight white head, with a yellow almost tangerine body, with little bubbles flying around.

S-hoppy peach, tangerine, pine and citrus.

T-a little bit more muted than i was hoping for, but overall it was a pretty solid beer. Maybe I'm just too used to bitter beers, because i couldnt taste 75IBU's haha.

M-smooth, medium, and zesty. I like this!

D-Undetectable 8.7%, very well masked. has a nice long warming finish.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Golden with hints towards orange. Nice looking white head - par for the DIPA course. Great look, great lacing. Heavily hoppy nose leaning towards citrics over herbals. Some biscuity sweetness buried in there, but that's not the star, clearly.

Damn. Seriously, damn. Huge citric flavor. The bready, biscuity malts are destroyed early in the show, leaving the powerfully grapefruit- and orange-zesty notes from what I assume are a bevy of C-hops. Tropical and even medicinal overtones (if you have glaucoma, that is). Two tons of flavor.

Great mouthfeel, everything is spot-on. Great seasonal, and one of the most unexpectedly outstanding beers I've had in a hot minute. If you see a tap bearing the Extra! tag, hit it up fast.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

This bottle was from Fetus which I was excited about getting. Poured from 22oz bottle review from notes.

A- Pours a light hazed golden orange color. My buddies beer looked a little more hazed than mine but no complaints. Good 2 finger dirty white head that leaves nice sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Big citrus hops in the front of the nose. With this comes light caramel malts in the background. The hops pretty much take care of the background scents. Very hop forward smelling.

T- This beer is very good. Nice citrus hops (oragne and little mango) come through the front end of this beer. There is even a light bitter hop I think in the middle of the beer which cover up the malts in this beer. The ending is more citrusy hops which is a nice welcome. I expected more of a bitterness but never got it.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was dead on for this beer. Left my palate in a citrusy hop mess after sipping on it. Felt hop resin on my tongue and teeth long after the beer was gone. nice clean taste in the mouth and with the aftertaste.

D- This beer drinks very well. I was done with my half of the beer before I even knew it. Not a good thing because I didn't bring my other bottle from mjl21 a.k.a. Mike. Bleh...

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours slightly hazy golden/orange color with nice looking white head. Smells like a shitload of grapefruit blended with pine needles. Tastes like...a shitload of grapefruit blended with pine needles. Though there is a fair amount of malt here to partially balance things out. Fairly bitter, but a tad sweet. So not the driest ipa ever. Body is fairly thick with lots of carbonation. It's rare that I want to drink very much of an IPA, and this isn't one of those beers that makes me want to keep drinking.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

22 fl. oz. bomber poured into snifter.

A: Pours with a slightly hazy deep golden/orange color capped by a thin off-white head with moderate retention. Delicate lacing.

S: Perfection. An absolute intense blast of american hops right away, tons of citrus. Light scent of pale malts in the back.

T: Again, blown away by the incredible amount of hops that actually come through in the flavor more so than all out bitterness, although some bitterness does linger in the aftertaste. Notes of sweet oranges and lemons, backed by a bit of pale malts.

M/D: Just the right body for a double IPA, smooth and carbonated well. Alcohol is hardly detectable and this one is dangerously drinkable.

Really didn't expect this one to be so awesome! Just leave it to Lagunitas to leave you speechless, I guess.

A- Classic clear golden orange color. Good finger of head and the lacing looks to be super sticky so far just seeing the head fade away. Sticky spider webs all the way down. Great lookin' brew.

S- I was able to smell this before I even poured it. After the pour my nose was engulfed in the wonderfulness that is this brew. Strong citrus that overpowers everything else in the area, just lots of pungent fresh grapefruit and lemon. Smells amazing.

T/M- Oh.... My... Goodness... All of the flavors are exploding in my mouth, I almost can't take it. It is just the perfect amount of bitterness combined with the maltyness and fruityness and oh so fresh tasting. At first it seems to have a extreme bite, but then it goes down so smooth and there is very little bitter aftertaste. No alcohol burn to speak of and it is not boozy at all. I don't want this to ever end. To me, this brew is a very strong contender for Pliny the Elder in terms of my favorite DIPA, this really is a fantastic beer.

D- This is likely because of the Taste and Mouthfeel being so good, but I could drink this forever, let alone throughout a night of a drinking. I am having trouble finding anything wrong with this beer. This will be my very first perfect score and I believe it is most deserving. I don't know if this beer got me at the right moment or what, but I feel as if I am in heaven at this very moment. I just hope I can find more of this beer somewhere I want more before it's gone.

Thank you Lagunitas for satisfying my palate way beyond my expectations.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Pours a nice gold with a massive, long lasting head and tons of lacing. Strong aroma of grapefruit and a little resin. Quite full and pleasing. Wow, the initial flavor very closely follows the aroma. I expected over powering hops but it ends up surprisingly balanced. It still favors the hops, mind you, but also has some sweetness too. I can feel the alcohol in my stomach, but it doesn't have a strong presence in the flavor. Mouth feel is also dead center, with medium carbonation. Overall very nice indeed.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

A light coppery gold with a huge head and good retention. Scads of lace all around the glass. A light cloudiness and avary little carbonation.

Smell is very bright and citrusy. Healthy sweet maltiness. Dinner rolls and sourdough bread. Sweet orange and clover honey. A touch of grapefruited hops.

Taste is light and delicious. A perfect balance between a goodly amount of malt in the core and a superb blend of hops that is so artful that it seem like there are less of them than there actually is. The is a large amount of hops here but it doesn't kick you in the taste buds. It just knock you over with how good they are. This is one smooth and delicious beer. The malt is just a touch lighter than most DIPAs and it makes all the difference. Feel is quenching and supple. Mild and finely effervescent carbonation is just right. Is this a DIPA? It drinks like a perfect IPA or maybe a GREAT pale ale. Smooth and satisfying

Drinkability is way off the charts. This beer is an undercover intoxicator. It goes donw like a session ale and then knocks you off your feet.

This is a great DIPA. i

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours bright burnished yellow with clingy white head and sheets of lace. Nose is pure pineapple; floral notes as it warms. More tropical fruit malts with grapefruit and cedar hops. Pine forest floor hit at the end. Medium and sticky, heat's there but not overwhelming.

So sweet! Drinkability takes a hit because it's actually too easy sipping for the ABV - danger! Nice way to go a different direction - pale and fruity - with a big hop profile.

Edit: Drinkability is now Overall, and overall this is gorgeous! +.5%

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Purchased At: Riley's (Madison, WI)

Appearance: Pours a nice brassy gold color with a finger and a half of head. There's a nice stream of bubbles climbing their way up to the top of my tulip glass; it's enough effervescence to keep a thin layer of light tan head on the top of my glass. The amount of lacing is fantastic, thick sheets of sticky beer are wrapping two hundred and seventy degrees around my glass. The only spot that isn't covered in lace is where I've been sipping.

Smell: As soon as I cracked open the cap I knew this was a fresh bottle of an IIPA. The hop aromas absolutely poured of the bottle. I transferred it into my tulip glass, and now I can get a much better jab at some of the notes. The nose is picking up largely earthy herbal notes. There's not a lot of citrus in the nose. There's a blend of pine, soil and grass, and just a slight grapefruit note sitting beneath all of the earthy notes.

Taste: The palate picks up sweet and sticky caramel malt right off the bat. As the malt backbone drifts away I'm left with a big wave of earthy hops, including all of the same notes listed above. Once the beer washes away, citrus notes make their debut. A blend of grapefruit and orange peel linger on the tongue. I'd actually like to see just a few dashes of the hops used in the boil taken out and added for dry hopping. There is just a hint of alcohol present near the finish of the tasting.

Mouthfeel: A medium bodied beer, just slightly above the average body for an IIPA. A nice crisp carbonation makes it easy to drink. Hop oils are lining the inside of my mouth, which is always a plus.

Drinkability: Lagunitas always has a fair price on their beer. $4.99 for this bomber. A nice aroma and flavor profile make this a great beer that I'd love to see turn into a regular offering. Lagunitas, as always, well done.

4.49/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Solid head on a hard pour, the color of wet hay, the foam top settles into a rocky, cottony head - 4.25, S: The aromas are solid hops with a hint of clove, lots of citrus with a woodsy smell as well, I hate to use the word delicate - but it is apt in describing the wonderful use of hops, I'm guessing Centennial played a part in the hop build, one of the better noses on an IPA that I've smelled in some time - 5.00, T: Bitter but not harsh, like the nose there is quite a bit of citrus in this one - I get grapefruit and a touch of pine, there is also a slight grainy sweetness - 4.25, M: Quite creamy and even silky - 4.50, D: One of the more drinkable IPAs I've had in some time, thumbs up to Lagunitas - 4.50

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

A little Sumpin Extra is a MASTERPIECE. This is as good a DIPA as there is on the market. Tons of hop aroma and flavor. Delicious, ripe citrus, no resinous piney flavors. Nice citrus aroma. The drinkability is amazing. No trace of the high ABV. I could drink this all day. One of the best beers I've had in a long time. Totally impressed.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Pours a clear yellowy orange with a fluffy stark white head that retains well and leaves good lacing.

Nose is full of WC hops, smells like it might be a touch older than desired, but the hops are still pretty potent and definitely WC in nature.

Hmm. Interesing for sure. The hops aren't quite as intense as i wanted them to be, but there is more to this beer than just that. There is a floral almost spice like note amongst it as well. Hops are still the driving force in this beer. Good bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is ideal for a DIPA.

Drinkability is also quite solid for the abv. drinks almost like a single IPA. Very good here.

Overall, a very nice stapleish big IPA. Very drinkable and very flavorful. Not as exciting as some better CA IPAs, doesn't quite get up to that "next level", but still very nice. Good beer.

A Little Sumpin' Extra! Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company