Wilco Tango Foxtrot - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Wilco Tango FoxtrotWilco Tango Foxtrot

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.83% ABV

Availability: Spring

"Imperial Brown Ale" (not a style on BA).

(Beer added by: flexabull on 03-06-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wilco Tango Foxtrot Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -68.1%

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

1.85/5  rDev -52.8%

From their site = "A big Ol' Imperial Brown Ale to help you with your slipperly slide on into springtime. Rich, smooth, dangerous & chocolatey."

1 - Way to hoppy compared to other brown ales that I have tasted (and this was just after trying Mighty Arrow!)

2 - Rich - sure, smooth - not really, dangerous - eh, chocolatley - if you can find that through all those hops.

I had finally found some Mighty Arrow and that was all hops and not so bad. This was just not what I expected after tasting other brown ales. I need to find out which hops they used and avoid anything using the same hops in the same quantity.

Drinkable - not really, would I spend any more money on it - no.

1.93/5  rDev -50.8%

Pours a deep red with brown throughout, clear and bright. A copious light tan head develops and leaves a lot of wonderful lacing behind.
Smell is hops. Just hops. I expect quite a bit of hop from Lagunitas but thought there might be something with it considering the label stating it is a "malty, robust" ale. Nope.
Taste is more of the same with a distinct grapefruit note added to the hops. No malt, nothing else. Disappointing.
A medium/full body with a tangy, medium effervescence up front. Slightly warming middle through finish. Hop note fades quite a bit, thankfully, in the aftertaste. Some malt almost makes it to the fore well into the aftertaste. By all my experience, this is an IPA, though a fairly dark one, not a strong ale. Scores reflect that. They would be quite a bit higher if this was labeled the IPA it so obviously resembles.

1.95/5  rDev -50.3%

Thanks to mrstevens for sharing! Poured into my cigar city snifter.

A- Pours dark brown in color with some ruby highlights when held to the light. A 2 finger foamy head that disappears rapidly. No lacing left.

S- Faint hops. Nothing less nothing more.

T- This beer is odd. The hops are present right away, much more so than in the nose. I love hops but not these. It's almost a perfume taste. Kind of like when my wife sprays some hairspray and i walk into the room without knowing she had just sprayed it and I yawn....yeah not a good thing. It takes me a second to get past this. Some sweetness from the malts are kicking in now, but I just can't get over the perfume like taste in this beer. Not a good beer.

M- Medium bodied with decent carbonation. The aftertaste from the perfume sticks around.

D- Needless to say, I won't revisit this one.

2.2/5  rDev -43.9%

The appearance was good. It was a translucent dark brown colour with a thin tan head. The positive comments stop there.

It smelled like a bush. Maybe a juniper bush or a small pine tree... gross.

The taste was the same. It tastes like an evergreen bush. It covers up all the other flavour. I want to at least be warned if the hops are going to take over the flavour of a beer. This beer was described as "malty and robust." It was neither. It just tasted like hops. That's it. I love maltiness and was excited about this beer, but I can't taste anything under this intense leafy flavour. I'm so against misleading descriptions on a beer bottle. And this was the worst. Bleh. I wouldn't have bothered buying it and writing a poor review if I knew it would be a beer that I wouldn't enjoy. But the description made it sound like it was right up my alley.

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

Was disapointed in this brew as I looked high & low to find it after hearing all the urban legends about it.

Not much of a head. Taste was did nothing for me.

Not surprised to read the reviews being mixed here.

Other much better offerings to try from Lagunitas.

2.3/5  rDev -41.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A- pours a light, transparent shade of brown with a two finger light tan heads that fades quickly, and leaves spotty and cloudy lacing. Love the clarity

S- smoke, nuttiness, a little booze, wood, tobacco. Very interesting aromas that don't mesh very well together

T- very bitter, tobacco flavor in the forefront. Slight booze in the finish. Very smoky, and not in the good way. Not enjoyable at all

M- thin body, a little shocking considering everything going on here

O- I dumped half the bomber. Just not good at all

2.38/5  rDev -39.3%

eyes...
audible 2 fingers of off white head crackles in the glass, dark ruby tone with ample carbonation launching itself to the top, calms down quicker than the kid on the airplane who screams the whole time you are flying... lacing and legs are ok, this seems pretty average.

nose...
mild bourbon, a touch of white pepper, nothing too upfront, mild mannered stuff.

taste etc...
sharp taste right off the boot, kind of astringent-y, bitter malt flavor is the best way I can describe it, light bodied with almost enough carbonation, the aftertaste sort of reminds me of jack daniels... but not as strong, this is just not working for me this evening

verdict?
odd taste combos abound, hard to place and hard to take, don't smear the brand though, they have lots of good beers (just not this one)

2.38/5  rDev -39.3%

Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at Save-On Tobacco & Beverage in Mentor last week for $4.99 into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. 06053911 stamped on the neck of the bottle but I found no other indication of any "best by" date anywhere else on the bottle or the label.

A Dark caramel but translucent body with some sediment floating about under a meringue like creamy, very light brown head. Look is just o.k. but I like the sediment floating around. 3.5

S Floral hops, some malt. Not that inspiring from one of my favorite California micro breweries. 3.0

T Organic, earthy, floral hops taste with a dissapointing amount of malt backdrop (the label mentions "A malty, robust jobless recovery ale" after all) and then the taste just dissapears almost with the last drop going down (almost no aftertaste!). There is a lingering hops bitterness but really this is a thin, slightly hoppy really basic tasting beer. 2.0

M Too thin for me (especially when the label mentions "robust"). Again there is not enough malt for it to be considered "malty" and the hops bitterness really isn't enough to make up for that. 2.0

D Less than fair because the taste and feel are so uninspiring. I do not think that I will buy this again. 2.5

Notes: I am a huge fan of Wilco and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (the album) but this beer leaves a lot for me to desire. Namely, a beer that meets the description on the front of the label would have been nice. I will stick to my Hairy Eyeball, Brown Shugga' and the great "We're only in it for the money" from Lagunitas.

2.45/5  rDev -37.5%

Fun times await beneath the crown. Pop the top of the 22 ounce bottle, and on to the beer:

Clean copper colored, the lighter side of dark. Sturdy and retaining is the head, which kicks up threads of lace to the glass. There's a fruitiness in the nose, but it appears to be from the hops. "Hop nugget juice", resin, a little metallic and faint brown sugar. Not a beer whose aromas are melded together well.

Malty and robust? Not here. In the beer world, the opposite of malty is hoppy, and hoppy is where it's at. However, the hoppy characteristics are unbalanced and not pleasant to handle. Bitter tea at the start with some metallic flavor. Resin creeps in, but otherwise the flavor repeats itself, and it is not pleasant. Maltiness is very light on the palate; we're gonna need a lot more to save this beer. Medium bodied, alcohol is hidden well (thank goodness), but that's squinting for a good quality in the context of it all.

"A Malty, Robust, Jobless Recovery Ale". If this is supposed to be the antidote to those whom are suffering in this current climate, then they're going to be in recovery mode for a long time.

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

Appearance - This one poured a rather boring, shiny brown in color with a mediocre head.

Smell - The malt seems rather thin and phony, contrary to the promise on the label, and a bit stale.

Taste - Again the malts disappoint. It's more like a weak bitter or American brown ale than a strong ale. The malt flavor lacks depth and distinction.

Mouthfeel - This is way too thin for the style. It's not even medium-bodied by my count and is clumsy in the cheeks.

Sinkability - I think this is the first ASA that I've dumped, and this from a well-regarded brewery. Oh the shame of it.

Wilco Tango Foxtrot from Lagunitas Brewing Company