Wilco Tango Foxtrot - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Wilco Tango FoxtrotWilco Tango Foxtrot

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  7.83% ABV

Availability: Spring

"Imperial Brown Ale" (not a style on BA).

(Beer added by: flexabull on 03-06-2010)
4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

No date on bottle, poured into a glass. Beer is brown and clear. Forms a thin off white head of medium bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. Looks fine.

Aroma is hoppy with a nice malty sweet backbone. Smells good.

Sweet and nice. There is some great bitterness with this beer and its surprisingly drinkable. I'm really feeling this beer. Carbonation on the palate is great and there is nice connectivity throughout. I would recommend it and drink it again.

drabmuh, Apr 15, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a clear reddish brown, with fluffy offwhite head, clumps of lace here and there. Smell: it's like a slightly toned down Hop Stoopid: pineapple, tangerine, and spicy. Backdrop of dark brown sugar. Taste: leafy, pineapple, prickly, a little citrus peel, lots of caramel. There's a very light roasty taste left at the end of the sip. Mouthfeel: medium bodied, a little syrupy but with an uplifting fluffy feel (is wheat for body a new trend for Lagunitas?). Doesn't scream impy brown to me... but Brown IPA, for sure. Very nice.

babaracas, Apr 15, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

According to Lagunitas this beer is "A big Ol' Imperial Brown Ale to help you with your slipperly slide on into springtime. Rich, smooth, dangerous & chocolatey".

It's a good brew.
A - Rich, deep, opaque brown color with tan frothy head that lasted only few minutes.

S - A rather mild aroma hints of caramel malts and citrus hoppiness...pleasant aroma. I didn't really get any chocolate though.

T - Tastes like it smells... Caramel comes through nicely, citrus hoppiness...faint chocolate. Something kinda spicy at the end...nice though.

M - medium in body

D - refreshing and damn drinkable...especially at $4.50/pint

Haus, Apr 14, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

A frothy tan head with lingering retention capping the abundant streams of carbonation easily visible in the clear yet brown body. Not really any hints of red in this one, just brown.

Hoppy with a resinous pineapple. Amarillo? Chinook dry-hopping? Regardless, a caramel-malt sweetness comes through the hops. Yeast is mild ad a little bready.

I chance a guess at some Centennial being in this one as I get the soap like character of Centennial, possibly in the dry hop. Alcohol blends nicely with the hop bitterness and the whiskey like sweetness of the malt. A fresh hop taste is present throughout though I would have liked something just as fruity but a little softer and less soapy.

The quaffable mouthfeel belies the original gravity of this beer. Very much dried out. Well done Lagunitas. Very refreshing!

One hell of a beer. I really can't complain about the alcohol percentage since this beer was $5, not bad for 7%+. Nice hop haracter and deceptively dry. I love this brewery. Also a good big beer if you want something to sip, but are all barley-wined out from drinking your sixer of Bigfoot over a day and a half or less.

tapman, Apr 14, 2010

This beer was bought at Safeway in Fremont, CA.

I like Lagunitas IPA so the name grabbed me.

"A Malty, Robust, Jobless Recovery Ale" well I have a good friend and Army Reservist out of work, so people keep talking recovery and I have plenty of friends out of work.

So heres to you oh tall and bald.

This beer is a very hoppy brown ale.

The malt comes through with the hops and it is no disappointment.

Well ballanced but NOT overpowering.

the 7.83A% ABV is enough that 2-3 of the 1 pint 6 oz bottles will put you over the legal driving limit so it is no light weight.

the 64.20 I.B.U. is enough to please most hop heads.

xmorgan, Apr 14, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

A - Dark brown with a half finger of tan head that quickly disappeared to nothing.

S - Rich malty and chocolaty backbone with a strong citrus hop aroma.

T - Strong malt backbone with chocolate, caramel sweetness followed by a strong pine and citrusy IIPA like hop hit. Very enjoyable combination.

M/D - Mouthfeel is rich and filling, leaves a slight steely hop flavor on the back of the tongue. This is very drinkable, on my second bottle! What a great deal for $5!

mwa423, Apr 14, 2010

A: Light brown with 1/2 to 1 inch of head and nice lacing. A little bit light for my taste, especially for a strong ale.

S: Smells like mossy hoppiness; not much else there. Honestly smells like most other Lagunitas beers (ie ipas) but with darker malts.

T: Tastes like most other Lagunitas offerings too. Slight dark maltiness on palate and a little bit on finish, but mostly an odd hoppy mixture that doesn't really fit the style for me.

D/M: Pretty drinkable, but quite odd in general.

Decent beer, but probably the worst I've had from Lagunitas.

jt31914, Apr 14, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

This poured a clear dark cherry with a little light tan head. It smelled like sweet cherries and light caramel, with a bit of apricot and mango and pepper. It tasted like roasted barley and sweet caramel, with cherry and apricot and copper hops, and a bit of chocolate. It was fairly thick with some carbonation, and had a lasting bitter aftertaste. Overall this was another nice brew from Lagunitas. The scent was great, and the taste was clean and enjoyable (although they were fairly different). Basically the same hop profile as all recent Lagunitas beers, but with a bolder, roastier malt to counter-balance the flavor. The body was good, and the alcohol was decently hidden, so it was easy to drink. I'd call this a really good amber ale, which makes me want to try it side by side with Nugget Nectar.

Pencible, Apr 13, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap at hopcat and mellow mushroom. I love lauganitas. Awesome beer insane prices.

A: pours a dark shade of amber with dark brown highlights. Tall offwhite head with insane sheets of lace.

S: rather mild aromas hints of caramel malts and citrus hops. Too mild.

T: mmm tasty. Lots and lots of citrus hops. Enough caramel malt to push through. Hints of sweet pine...and spicy rye?

M; medium in body nice and smooth.

D: tasty and damn drinkable.

tpd975, Apr 13, 2010

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a ruby color and a clear texture. There was a quarter inch of fairly long-lasting, foamy head. Good lacing.

S: Aroma of hops, grains, sweets, and malt.

T: Tasted mainly of hops, with appearances by malt, a little caramel, and a graininess. A solidly flavorful beer.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A solid, generally drinkable beer.

avalon07, Apr 13, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -12%

Served in a pint glass at the Sugar Maple.

A: brown, auburn, some clarity, not very dark for a brown ale, some white head that doesn't have good retention

S: very subtle malts, cereal grains, bread, roasty notes, light earthy hops on the finish... I had to search for these aromas as the beer warms, at serving temperature, the aroma was next to nothing

T: very mild flavors, the ABV is non existent, a great balance makes for an easy drinking beer but this is so mild and subtle, I wish there was more character

mf: thin, slightly watery, medium carbonation

D: very easy drinking but not a whole lot of flavor, considering this is an imperial brown...I've had brown ales with loads more of flavor (aka Bender), not bad but will not seek out again

homebrew311, Apr 13, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

Another great beer from lagunitas!

I wasn't really sure what i was going to have wen i opened it up, but I'd call it a India Brown ale.

Brown ale appearance.
Pretty much IPA aroma. not real strong

YUM, nice ipa crunch. some malt a little "thicker" than an ipa (?)

I"m not sure I've ever been unhappy with a Lagunitas presentation. This follows, glad it's usually available in our bevmo.

I'd get this again, as it's relatively reasonable for a bomber.

ReDave, Apr 13, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Nose is resinously hoppy with a nutty malty base. Smells nice.

Pours moderately dark brown, clear, large head. Looks nice.

Flavor follows with strong punch of hops over strong & solid malt. American citrus and resinous hops, somewhat floral/fruity. Soft chocolate touch to the malt. Soft spiciness. Moderate carbonation. Tastes good. Feels good. Good drinkability.

Another hoppy release from Lagunitas. Not sure if it is worth the WTF reference, but I like the "we're not quite in the red or in the black... does that mean we're in the brown?!" Cheers.

MrHungryMonkey, Apr 13, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Ahhh...to be a Lagunaut! Blast me to the Land of Petaluma!

big thanks to all the lovely folks at the brewery for the tour and tastings.

I've had this quite a few times already, loved it when first having it. Now, it remains a nice beer with a special place in my heart.

We all know how it looks by now, glorious crystal dark amber with towering foam..

Sweetness, oh, that Lagunitas sweetness with a sharp punch of grapefruit. Columbus, ye lads? The sweetness is up in my nose, like I'm a bear with my face in your bees. I don't even care about the sting, I can't feel it through the bliss of smacking my tongue upon the comb. It lingers, magically, like only Lagunitas does, but the mouth still finishes dry enough to continue the quest to quench this insatiable thirst. A bit of that woodsy evergreen touch, like the fine nubile buds of a Doug fir, or a pine, if you prefer.

Well done, my good folks, when I am done, I shall return to the work at hand, but, for now, I revel in this small pleasure.

olympuszymurgus, Apr 12, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a "bomber" bottle into a standard pint glass
Dark amber in color, with a generous head of foam
Aroma-Subtle, sweet malt and subtle citrus notes
Taste-Sweet malt, dark fruit mixed with hoppy citrus notes. I couldn't place the familiar taste until I thought of a lighter-bodied Arrogant Bastard, without all the complexity.
Very drinkable and with some character of its own.
Sip with caution!

hosehead83, Apr 12, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

A-Pours auburn in color with very little head (no retention) and no lacing. Average about sums it up. Maybe a little below, but I'll be generous.

S-Not much here at all. A faint smell of malt is about it.

T-Hey, it doesn't look or smell like much, but the taste is pretty good. Some citrus hops and sweet caramel malt. Not complex, but very pleasant.

M-A bit thin and watery. Not much there for body. Carb level is done well though, not too much or too little.

D-It goes down easily enough. Could be a session brew.

I'm not terribly impressed with this beer, but it certainly isn't bad. Its worth a try.

Lerxst, Apr 12, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

appearance - pours a semi-transparent reddish brown, non existent head

smell - citrus hops with a sweetness

taste - the citrus hops in the nose are backed by a sweet malty finish

mouthfeel - some body

drinkability - very smooth with moderate flavor, easy to drink for the abv it has

djbreezy, Apr 12, 2010

Had this one on-cask at the Pony Bar. Served in a standard pint. Poured the color of dark iced tea with a bubbly, frothy, off-white cap. Nose was malty and reveals brown sugar and perhaps a hint of cocoa. Taste consistent with nose - a whole lot of malty goodness with some hops bittering that comes out at the finish to keep it from being cloying. Mouthfeel is medium-light. Texture is not really creamy, but there is some viscosity or oiliness to the mouthfeel. Really tasty and easy drinking. I'd love to see how this compares in the bottle or on draught.

Jwale73, Apr 11, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

A tall pour yields a thick off white cap atop a dark ruby liquid. The suds remained for a long time and left good lacing.

The aroma consists of sweet malt and piney hops. A nice inviting combination.

The taste was similar to the smell. Sweet malt but with the hops a bit more in the forefront. I also picked up what seemed like cinnamon in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel started out what seemed to be on the thin side,, but as the beer warmed a bit it somehow felt thicker and more along the lines of what I enjoy in a beer of this style.

Initially this beer didn't impress me, but as I worked my way through the bottle I found myself liking it more. Certainly for the price it's got a great bang for the buck ratio. Worth a try if you have a chance.

JBogan, Apr 11, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Bomber from DeCicco's in Ardsley, NY. No freshness info available. Pours darker auburn/mahogony brown, typical darker tan head, tightly knit, leaves better then average sheeting and extensive stands of lace. Bolder nose of sweet, maple malts buffeted by floral hop notes. Enjoyable ale, seems more like a bold brown ale, then a strong, but whatever, style guidelines be damned. Balanced and bold, dark bready waves of flavor, solid, but not overpowering hops fulling in effect. Another real nicely crafted brew from Lagunitas.

Billolick, Apr 11, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Looks: attractive brown, kind of like the color one would expect on a brown ale; coppery auburn, easy on the eyes as beer colors go

Smell: gentle scent of hops, just a light malty smell

Taste: this comes on like a red and finishes like a black; like it turns on a dime from the time it enters your mouth until it leaves - what a neat trick! those guys at Lagunitas are whizzes at this

Mouthfeel: smooth, easy to swill - slight tang with a nice medium feel, not taxing at all

Drinkability: easy to enjoy, though as the temp lowers this brew could become sweeter but nowhere near cloying

SilentBob2u2, Apr 11, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Dark brown with tuns of lacing.

S: Tuns of malts, little hops.

T: I love the taste, there is a bit of a hop bite on the end.

M: Just a bit of carbonation.

D: This is a heavy beer, you couldn't drink a tun of them.

I don't give a shit what people say, i bought this beer for the name, This beer was named after Wilco the band. One of there albums is Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. If this is a coincidence than i'm stupid..Wilco is a favorite band of mine, and i've been to many of their concerts..I bought it for its name but it is a good beer.

deathcab, Apr 11, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours dark brown with a little reddish head. Roasted. malty smell
Some chocolate mouth feel. Hints of chocolate licorice grapefruit . nuts Nice warm feeling. Strong and drinkable. Great name, comments and label. Another fine addition as a limited release.

RichardWalter, Apr 11, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

This is my second bomber of this beer. I have gone back for seconds.

A - Reddish brown color, white head. I did the full pour so I am seeing some suspended material most likely from bottle conditioning sedement.

S - Sweet and malty, but it is fairly hoppy for a brown ale (I see it is tagged with American strong here on BA)

T - Interesting spicy flavor. This flavor is a nice addition to my spring choices. Spicy hops hops makes it interestng, but malty sweetness is very simple. I'm throwing in no references to "dark friuts". I'd like a "double" version to age.

M - Medium bodied, smooth but slightly tangy on the tongue's tip. Like slipping into fresh cool sheets.

D - Very drinkable. Sweetness would get cloying beyond a few servings so a bomber is perfect.

WickedSluggy, Apr 11, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a dark ruby color with a two finger head of fluffy foam that leaves some nice lacing.

Zesty hop scent with belgian yeast, sweet malt and lots of dark fruit. Reminiscent of Monks Blood. Unique.

Confusing taste. I get some lightly sweet malt and in at the end comes a burst of bitter hops. Flavor tastes a bit muted if not watered down. I guess I would call this balanced, but it's confusion clashing on the palate.

Feel is soft and mostly smooth. Less than medium bodied. Semi-dry finish.

It's not that this is a bad beer, it's just confusing. I think it's a decent beer, but my tongue and head are both confused. Their is a lack of cohesion in the taste. An interesting beer, but one I would pass on again.

jera1350, Apr 10, 2010